Serving Hints [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Serving Hints

Parshath
10-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Simply put, my serve is really, really sucky - with a bit of luck 1 in every 10 get in...
So, I'm interested on hearing some experienced player's hints to serve.
Hopefully, those will be very helpful for my carrer :)
Thanks ;)

boka
10-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Simply put, my serve is really, really sucky - with a bit of luck 1 in every 10 get in...
So, I'm interested on hearing some experienced player's hints to serve.
Hopefully, those will be very helpful for my carrer :)
Thanks ;)

It's hard to say without watching you play, but if you are trying to serve winners all the time and you aren't Croat , it's gonna be difficult for you.
If so , first focus on getting the ball into the court without much power ,when you achive that goal ( adlist 8 out of 10 balls in the court) turn the volume up a bit. If there is a problem with your servis technique , you should get a coach or someone else who knows what he's doing , to help you. ( throwing the ball right , watching it , the swing ...).
Your post makes me think:rolleyes: you just started playing , so my biggest
advice to you is : take it slow , don't try too much too soon and get some help training ! In time you will get better and will probably laugh remembering this . Anyway good luck , I'm sure you'll become a great server one day!:p :wavey:

Parshath
10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
No, it's not really like that...
I have a coach, and I'm almost in my 4th tennis b-day :P
However, my server is still sucky xP But I'll try that that you said, thanks ;)

boka
10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
No, it's not really like that...
I have a coach, and I'm almost in my 4th tennis b-day :P
However, my server is still sucky xP But I'll try that that you said, thanks ;)

Like I said , it's hard to say something smart without watching you serve , perhaps it's just not your strong side of the game , look at Agassi , he had a shitty serve for a very long time , but he was always working on it and his serve became a lot better towards the last 7 , 8 seasons. I mean , hitting it in the court ain't all that difficoult , I don't know what you wan't to do with it? The serve doesn't neccesery need to be strong to cause your opponent problems , you can use spin or bounce or whatever if you can't hit a fast ball. I'm playing for a long time, have some expirience , and have found out that usually it is all in the head. Take it slow and change the coach ;) if he can't help you , couse you can't do much without adlist a decent serve.

Solat
10-20-2006, 02:21 AM
Take it slow and change the coach ;) if he can't help you , couse you can't do much without adlist a decent serve.

thats gospel right there

you should be able to do a competant "half serve"(starting with the racquet in the throwing position) worst case scenario to get the ball in.

Ball toss is key to a consistent serve, you get better at tasks thru repitition, if your ball toss is always different your body does not learn a consistent swing path

General Suburbia
10-21-2006, 01:56 AM
It's all about the ball toss. 1'o clock over you, slightly in front so you can swing while shifting your weight towards the ball. Everything after the toss is cake, unless your grip is wrong.

PTR_Professional
10-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Just go back to the basics.......serving is a throwing action!

Next time you step on court....stand on the baseline and throw a ball as far as you can without a run up. Do this several times....relaxed but rapid throwing action!

The majority of people will naturally stand to the side.....rotate the shoulders and hips then throw around and out and WHAM...there it goes!! :)

Now add a racket.....and reach up for the ball....you need a continental grip (your coach should have shown you this!), then just concentrate on getting the ball over the net.....with your relaxed `throwing action`.

The amount of players I`ve worked with that as soon as they develop some consistency, their next question is...`how to make it faster?`

NO NO NO NO NO

Once your getting the hang of it.....work on direction! Can you get the serve where you want it? Consistently?!? Whats the point in power if your hitting it to the wrong place?

Obviously it would be alot easier to help if I could see your swing but the above gives you a solid foundation to work from.

Sorry for the long post but I am very passionate about tennis so am keen to help! :D

P.S. As said before.....the ball toss is very important......you could have the best serve in the world, but if you toss the ball in the wrong place then I will never get to see it!

maria_marie
10-27-2006, 04:05 PM
naah I really have a problem with tossing the ball-I can't toss anything in the right direction with my left hand :p The ball always goes behind me and from there it's difficult to make a nice serve. My return is even worse, though :rolleyes:

dawolf
11-25-2006, 04:14 PM
it is all about to throw the ball correct...:)

lamkf
11-26-2006, 02:15 AM
Try the following links, it might help you. I found it really helpful for me.

http://www.zaptips.com/Sports/Tennis/Serves/tabid/56/Default.aspx

:secret:

tennistim
12-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Serving is the key to tennis - when you serve well your whole game goes well.

There aren't too many coaches who can teach the service, but I have been lucky enough to find a brilliant coach - David Kemp - who has coached at all levels up to Davis Cup and Fed Cup.

We are happy to spread this good information so we're in the process of making lots of tennis videos:-

Tennis Coaching Videos (http://www.davidkemptennisdkt.com/videos)

Enjoy

lordmanji
12-23-2006, 07:34 PM
go to the forums at tennis warehouse. theyre very helpful over there.

tennisplayer89
01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
The best way to improve your serve is to practice. Take a hopper of balls to the courts and hit serves for hours. Trust me after a month it will be 1000 times better.

tennisismygame
03-05-2007, 07:40 AM
I agree, the toss is vital but so is the breaking of the wrist. Make sure to keep your shoulder and the arm you are tossing with pointed to the box you are serving to. Toss the ball above your reach because you need to hit the ball in the sweet spot (basically the middle of the racquet) as it is coming down. If you throw the ball too low it will go in the net. When you hit the ball it should be at your maximum reach and after you hit it, break your wrist so it doesn't go too high or too far. Hope it helps!

sarciness
03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
The best thing I found to help me (other than practice) is videoing it! You can then see what your coach is telling you. I just used a basic digital camera at 25FPS 640x480. Nothing special, helped a treat!

Rajesh
03-08-2007, 02:45 AM
The most important thing while serving is the fluidity of the service motion .... Just remember that serving is not different things like tossing, hitting and following-through but its a single shot that should be executed as smoothly as possible.

Another misconception is that if you hit it hard you can serve faster... The speed comes from balance, timing and the ability to keep it as simple as possible. And most importantly serve the way that comes to you naturally rather than copy someone else !