Getting kids started in tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Getting kids started in tennis

Veruka
10-10-2006, 05:54 PM
What age do you guys think is appropriate for a child to be introduced to tennis? I have a nephew who is obsessed with Spongebob Squarepants, and during the week I just spent with him, he seemed to give as much attention as a child his age does to tennis I was watching on TV. I'm contemplating taking advantage of those two in combination and getting him one of Wilson's Spongebob racquets for Christmas. I'd love to see him get interested in a sport that I've always loved, and since he lives in Atlanta, there's no question that there'd be ample opportunities for him to get involved in the sport if he wanted to. But I don't want to jump the gun in encouraging him when it's too early. Any thoughts?

partygirl
10-10-2006, 06:00 PM
what age is he now?

Veruka
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
He's about to turn 3.

partygirl
10-10-2006, 06:26 PM
that might be a little early, but at least he has an interest...you should encourage that so maybe in a year or 2 he could start lessons or something...it is an interesting topic all these pro's start at crazy ages but you know its probably better to start too early than too late:o

Lee
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
My son's tennis teacher has classes starting at 4-5 years olds.

If you want him to have a good start, have him work on exercises improve his hand/eye coordination.

scarecrows
10-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I work part time as a coach and we have 5 year old kids that train in our club

it's good to start in that age not only because the earlier you start the more chance of a career you have, but also becuse it keeps kids away from useless distractions

like Lee said, it's good to start with some coordination exercices. just give him a soft tennis ball to throw it in the wall and catch it

Veruka
10-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys. I would not envision him playing or taking lessons at such a young age. If I were to get him a racquet this early, it would be more to give him exposure and spark an interest. Kind of like he's got a few footballs, but no one is looking for him to throw a spiral pass or even catch the ball quite yet.

kristanmichelle
10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
How often should children have tennis lessons at the age of 4-5? Once, twice a week? Five days?

acharlesmobile
10-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Once a week. But he'll need friends playing tennis too cause in the end, he's gonna need motivation to get better. The best way is to have competition. I never liked tennis until some guy said he could beat me at it. But that wasn't until 9th grade so ithat was kinda late. Dont' push him to be good at it though. He's gotta love the sport. Undoubtedly, he's gonna be an arrogant SOB if he gets good. But if his competition is also full of arrogant SOB's who also want to beat each other, he probably won't throw away the racquet in frustration or anger.

gulzhan
10-11-2006, 03:56 AM
Great thread! :)

I agree to everything what was said. I think 5 y.o. is the good age to start tennis practices. And I think it's better to have practice evey day (5 or 6 times a week, 1 hr, depending on how hard or easy for a child that is-- some children enjoy it even in the age of 5!), so that children work out a habit for tennis practices daily. But you can't force them to practice! o, well, maybe a little... ;) stick and carrot, you know :angel: And I mean tennis practice-- racket and ball plus special exercises-- for speed and knees mostly, jumps and some foot work...
And before (and during! :) ) that it's good if child does some other sports-- figure-skating and skiing could be started at 4, football is perfect for the future tennis-players, swimming...
Mmmm, can't think of anything for age 3 other than playing with tennis ball a lot-- throw and catch it to develop the sense of ball.
That's from my parent's experience, don't hesitate to ask! :)

ticktockclok
10-11-2006, 04:20 AM
My dad started me pretty early- around 4. He would just throw me the ball and I would try to whack it as hard as I could with my Pee-Wee Racquet.

Curls
10-11-2006, 05:54 AM
cool thread guys :yeah: ... my son has just turned 5 and he had some lessons about 9 months ago ... the problem wasn't hand/eye co-ordination, it was moreso the listening, comprehension & concentration skills that I think are lacking in a 4 1/4 year old - either that or he spent most of the lesson already day-dreaming about his pending Wimbledon victory!! :p

The coach said that usually before 5 the kids are really just 'playing' unless they are naturally gifted or have been surrounded by tennis and know what is expected. He suggested waiting until my son was 5 and then trying again, as he will be more physically, mentally & developmentally ready. We have a great tennis club only 5 minutes walk from home, so I hope it's a sport that he will get into and enjoy!

zicofirol
10-11-2006, 06:54 AM

Washa Koroleva
10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I'd say 5 or 6. That's the time when you learn fastest and already are ready enough for something like tennis. Probably not the rules straight away lol. Before that it's just sport as fun & play to get used to being active.