FED end his career on a HIGH [eg. Sampras 02],,or a slow slide [McEnroe]? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

FED end his career on a HIGH [eg. Sampras 02],,or a slow slide [McEnroe]?

CmonAussie
10-10-2006, 06:05 AM
wavey:
Sampras certainly didn`t mess around with MM tournament wins [a la Connors] at the end of his career:worship: !! Apart from his infamous 2002 US Open victory over Agassi~~ Pete also managed to win Wimbledon twice, Miami TMS, Cincinatti TMS & Singles Championship/aka TMC in his last few tournaments:angel: ....6/7 tournaments were~~ 3 Slams, 2-TMS & 1-TMC [only one MM at LA]:cool: :worship: ...Before checking out these stats I`d never realised that his final 2-3 years were simply quality:eek: :worship:

With Federer winning so many tournaments every year 10+ etc.. I wonder if he`ll be like Sampras & simply focus on Slams only in his last few years as a pro:confused:

Pete Sampras: 64 (Philadelphia, Manchester, US Open, Grand Slam Cup 90; L.A., Indianapolis, Lyon, Singles Championship 91; Philadelphia, Kitzbuhel, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Lyon 92; Sydney, Key Biscayne, Tokyo Outdoor, Hong Kong, Wimbledon, US Open, Lyon, Antwerp 93; Sydney Outdoor, Australian Open, Indian Wells, Key Biscayne, Osaka, Tokyo Outdoor, Rome, Wimbledon, Antwerp, Singles Championship 94; Indian Wells, Queens, Wimbledon, US Open, Paris 95; San Jose, Memphis, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Indianapolis, US Open, Singles Championship, Basel 96; Australian Open, San Jose, Philadelphia, Wimbledon, Cincinnati, Grand Slam Cup, Paris Indoor, Singles Championship 97; Philadelphia, Atlanta, Wimbledon, Vienna 98; Queens, Wimbledon, L.A., Cincinnati, Singles Championship 99; TMS Miami, Wimbledon 00; US Open 02)

Alternatively:sad:
John McEnroe: 77 (Hartford, San Francisco, Stockholm, Wembley, London, Masters 78; New Orleans, Milan, San Jose, Dallas WCT, Queens, South Orange, US Open, San Francisco, Stockholm, Wembley 79; Richmond WCT, Memphis, Milan, Queens, US Open, Brisbane, Sydney Indoor, Wembley 80; Pepsi Grand Slam, Milan, Frankfurt, L.A., Dallas WCT, Queens, Wimbledon, Cincinnati, US Open, Sydney Indoor 81; Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney Indoor, Tokyo Indoor, Wembley 82; Philadelphia, Dallas WCT, Forest Hills WCT, Wimbledon, Sydney Indoor, Wembley, Masters 83; Philadelphia, Richmond WCT, Madrid, Brussels, Dallas WCT, Forest Hills WCT, Queens, Wimbledon, Toronto, US Open, San Francisco, Stockholm, Masters 84; Philadelphia, Houston, Milan, Chicago, Atlanta, Stratton Mountain, Montreal, Stockholm 85; L.A., San Francisco, Scottsdale 86; Tokyo Outdoor, Detroit 88; Lyon, Dallas WCT, Indianapolis 89; Basel 90; Chicago 91)

##PS.~Sampras`s legacy just went up a notch in my book!

Whistleway
10-10-2006, 06:11 AM
And your point is?

CmonAussie
10-10-2006, 06:15 AM
And your point is?

Will Federer end up on a high like Sampras??:confused: ....Or just chase the MM titles until his body breaks~ a la Connors:confused:

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Is this really an issue? Federer is about winning the Slams as he should be, sure these other titles are good and all, but the Slams are what it's about.

CmonAussie
10-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Is this really an issue? Federer is about winning the Slams as he should be, sure these other titles are good and all, but the Slams are what it's about.
:cool:
Just wanted to know if you think Federer will be lucky/mentally strong enough to end on a high note?? Or stuggle at the big events in his final years:confused:

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 06:37 AM
It doesn't matter how he ends his career, as long as he is satisfied that he gave it everything that he could and got the most out of his ability.

Fairytale endings are for Hollywood.

World Beater
10-10-2006, 06:41 AM
Just wanted to know if you think Federer will be lucky/mentally strong enough to end on a high note?? Or stuggle at the big events in his final years:confused:

a lot of it depends on how much he wins before the "down time". If he is able to break the sampras barrier, i dont think he will find the motivation to keep playing like andre. He has stated he wants to have a family, settle down and seems devoted to his charity and off-the court stuff. In this case, i find it reasonable for him to conclude on a high, but perhaps it wont be a slam...maybe the davis cup or olympic gold medal.

he wont retire like an agassi because there wont be a huge gaping hole in his career where he was distracted by gf, fame etc.

CmonAussie
10-10-2006, 07:51 AM
a lot of it depends on how much he wins before the "down time". If he is able to break the sampras barrier, i dont think he will find the motivation to keep playing like andre. He has stated he wants to have a family, settle down and seems devoted to his charity and off-the court stuff. In this case, i find it reasonable for him to conclude on a high, but perhaps it wont be a slam...maybe the davis cup or olympic gold medal.

he wont retire like an agassi because there wont be a huge gaping hole in his career where he was distracted by gf, fame etc.
:) Thanks mate that`s a nice thoughtful reply:cool: ~~
.....Yeah Roger`s not going to do it the Agassi way [Andre invented a new type of tennis career:worship: :devil: ]~ also I doubt Federer will mimic Sampras... though the similarities in their respective careers are eerily spooky up to this point:eek:
-->>> Just hope Fed doesn`t go out on a sour note~ a la Borg:sad:

TennisGrandSlam
10-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Sampras + McEnroe way

15-18 Grand Slam (May or may not have Roalnd Garros)

above 75-85 singles titles

CmonAussie
10-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Sampras + McEnroe way

15-18 Grand Slam (May or may not have Roalnd Garros)

above 75-85 singles titles
Sounds good:worship: ........However if Roger can pull off those numbers we`d have to re-name it the FED WAY:angel: ~~since only he could do it;)

TennisGrandSlam
10-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Sounds good:worship: ........However if Roger can pull off those numbers we`d have to re-name it the FED WAY:angel: ~~since only he could do it;)

Counting both Quantity and Qualtity (same pirority)

Lendl ~ Sampras > Connors

its.like.that
10-10-2006, 08:50 AM
A slightly premature thread.

One would hope that it be deleted within the hour.

Doris Loeffel
10-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Roger will play the 2012 Olympics in Wimbledon - and hopefully winning it - and say thanks guys I had a great time but that's it....

buddyholly
10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
As of this week JMac's career is not yet over.

PamV
10-10-2006, 03:08 PM
It's too early to be wondering about this.

As I remember Sampras had a horrible year up to that USOpen win. No one even thought he'd win the tournament going in to it. It's not like Sampras quite in his prime.....but he had things go his way in his last USOpen. You are right he didn't drag out his decline several years.

Tankman
10-10-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree... bit early to be talking about the end when he's pretty much at the peak of his powers... but somehow i just don't see Federer chasing minor titles 5-10+ years into the future

Eden
10-10-2006, 06:52 PM
It's much to early to give an answer. There can happen so many things in sport.

Although it is quite interesting to talk about things like "How many Grand Slams will Roger win?", "How long will he keep his Nr. 1 position", "Will he be the greatest player of all time?" etc. we should never forget that every answer we give to this will only be a speculation. Rogers place in the history books of tennis will be judged by facts.

I really prefer to wait what will happen on Rogers way and enjoy his tennis instead of spending to much time asking myself which results he will achieve.

CmonAussie
07-15-2009, 06:13 AM
BUMP,
<<<<>>>>
So obviously FED is now closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and i`m curious how his career is going to end..!?

With a bang== Sampras couldn`t have scripted his 2002 USO win any better..
Or a slow slide== McEnroe won his last slam in 1984, but kept playing till 1992..

BigJohn
07-15-2009, 06:21 AM
I hope one of the final bangs will be a gold medal.

Goldenoldie
07-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Interesting speculation. I think he will go on as long as he believes himself to be the best, whether this belief is borne out by results or not. So I suppose the slow slide is more likely, but he won't be bullied into playing events he doesn't want to.

JediFed
07-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I can see Federer playing as long as Connors. He plays a very fluid game that is easy on the body. Can't see any reason why he'd stop before 2012, when he will still be only 31.

habibko
07-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I think he will keep playing as long as he is healthy and motivated, he enjoys playing tennis and not just playing for titles/money/records, which is a vital ingredient for a long career for a player who achieved and reached such heights.

it doesn't matter much to me the way he ends his career, one thing I'm sure of: it will be a monumental loss for the game and not just for his fans.

Crazy Girl
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I can see Federer playing as long as Connors. He plays a very fluid game that is easy on the body. Can't see any reason why he'd stop before 2012, when he will still be only 31.:drive::crazy::crazy::crazy::drive:

Yyyyyyeeeeesssssss!! Here we go!!!

Crazy Girl
07-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I think he will keep playing as long as he is healthy and motivated, he enjoys playing tennis and not just playing for titles/money/records, which is a vital ingredient for a long career for a player who achieved and reached :worship::worship:such heights.:worship::worship:

it doesn't matter much to me the way he ends his career, one thing ******I'm sure of: it will be a monumental loss for the game and not just for his fans.******:sad::sad::sad:

Habib, do you know you're my Love??

Well!! 'Cause it's the most important thing!!!:smooch::smooch::hug::hug:

habibko
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Habib, do you know you're my Love??

Well!! 'Cause it's the most important thing!!!:smooch::smooch::hug::hug:

:o sapete ti amo troppo :hug: :kiss:

great to see you back :worship: :hug:

Bernard Black
07-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Should retire now.

In reality, he will most likely call it a day after being on the receiving end of several beatdowns and humiliations from low ranked youngsters.

chenx15
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
some of the mickey mouse tourney's are high paying one so i see him playing those for a long time for diapers and college funds

mr_burns
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
you can't be serious...Sampras was really a little lucky to win that final Us Open, he could have lost (rusedski) and what's that...for most of the past 24 month he was a shadow of former glory.

Only at the Us open he managed to get decent results

so it is hard to predict, but I don't see roger going early...bu he does not win MM right now, so why should he do in the future

Burrow
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Federer won't end of a high I don't think, if he wins a slam title I feel he will carry on and not kick the bucket on his career.

mcnasty
07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Whatever form Federer's decline will take it won't be like McEnroe's as McEnroe's was clearly a case of the game surpassing him (power tennis based on strength and fitness making obsolete his serve and volley game based on guile and instinct).

mitalidas
07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
It's all romantic and all to think of ending a career with a GS final's win, but I think it would leave him questioning if there were more possible. I even think that Pete wonders that. He probably assumed, as many did, that 14 was safe.

I don't think Federer is going to wait till he slides into the MM levels, but once he figures that the chances of winning a slam are so remote he will hang it all up.

luie
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
It's all romantic and all to think of ending a career with a GS final's win, but I think it would leave him questioning if there were more possible. I even think that Pete wonders that. He probably assumed, as many did, that 14 was safe.

I don't think Federer is going to wait till he slides into the MM levels, but once he figures that the chances of winning a slam are so remote he will hang it all up.
Sampras was a great champion,maybe he taught he could win more but what was the difference between 14 or 15 at the time nothing, if #15 wasn't the french

mitalidas
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Sampras was a great champion,maybe he taught he could win more but what was the difference between 14 or 15 at the time nothing, if #15 wasn't the french
Yes precisely. One more slam meant nothing since there was no reason to believe that the record would not stand the test of time for him.
I figure, learning from Sampras's experience, Federer knows that 15 is not a sure thing either. So, he will stretch himself till he really can't get any more.

MacTheKnife
07-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Tennis Channel has a bit on Pete and he said after that 02 win on the plane back, he just knew it was over. He was burned out and his priority was now his family, being a husband and father.

mitalidas
07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Tennis Channel has a bit on Pete and he said after that 02 win on the plane back, he just knew it was over. He was burned out and his priority was now his family, being a husband and father.

Don't remember if I watched that, but I have read his interviews saying that. I think I did see an interview with Mary Carillo just before/during the 2003 Wimbledon where he finally "admitted" that he was not coming back.

My point anyhow was that, if Agassi or someone else alive and active on the tour, was breathing down his neck with 10 or 11 or 12 or 13 slams when he won 2002 USO, IMO Pete may have tried to play longer.

HKz
07-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Honestly, Roger is going to continue to enter the same tournament schedule he does every year until he is retired -

Pre-Aussie Warm Up Tourny
Aussie Open
Dubai
Indian Wells
Miami
Monte Carlo
Rome
Madrid (now)
French Open
Halle
Wimbledon
Montreal
Cincinnati
USO
Random tournament (such as Japan Open)
Basel (no more Madrid here)
Paris
TMC (if he stays in the top 10)

I don't think he will ever change this schedule because this allows him to build enough points to keep his current position, and allows him to train effectively during his off time while maintaining his life at the same time. Honestly, if he dropped too low to be able to enter his desired tournaments, I think he'll just try to rely on wildcards and such and not deal with going back from square one and play challengers, etc. But who knows, he says he loves tennis so much that he wants to continue to play on the tour at the top whatever the cost is, so maybe he could change a bit.

CmonAussie
07-16-2009, 04:43 AM
How many players ended their career on a relative high..?

SAMPRAS [winning 02 USO]
BORG [winning 81 FO & finalist 81 Wimby & USO]
Ivanisavic [winning 01 Wimby]
AGASSI ~maybe [winning 03 AO & final 05 USO]
BECKER ~maybe [winning 96 AO & final 95 Wimby]
GOMEZ [winning 90 FO]
COSTA ~maybe [winning 02 FO]
Newcombe [winning 75 AO & final 76 AO]
Connors ~maybe [semi-finals 91 USO]

mistercrabs
07-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Sampras just chickened out when he felt he wouldn't be dominant any more. If he thought he could win more slams, he wouldn't have stopped. It's about when a player decides to retire, not about mental strength in later years. There's no reason Sampras couldn't have continued until 35 like Agassi, but he was afraid of getting his ass kicked by the up and coming players.

straitup
07-16-2009, 05:26 AM
To me, Federer seems like someone who won't slowly slide just because of his playing style...he's always going to serve big when he is even older (unless he gets injured), and though his strokes have not been as solid as we are used to seeing, his serve-forehand combo is not going to let him fall out in early rounds of tournaments

Myrre
07-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Sampras was no.17 in the world before US Open 2002, so he was well into his decline when he managed to win his last Slam. I don't see Federer playing on with such a low ranking.

CmonAussie
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Interesting to see where Federer goes from here~~ he`ll finish 2010 ranked #2 or #3, so he`ll still be seeded highly for atleast the AO next year!! We know he`s ambitious to win 20 slams, though i think it might be out of reach, but 17 or 18 are on the cards.. Wonder if he can actually manage to do it though?
>>Expect that AO & Wimbledon will be his only realistic chances to win slams from here on, as FO & USO are too competitive and perhaps out of reach from next year..

LaFuria
09-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Sampras was on a slow slide in 02, it's just that he was so good that he was able to use whatever he had left in the tank to make one final push. For Federer it is probably the same thing, in fact I would bet that if Federer is to win another slam, it will be the US Open, as its his best surface.

Jaz
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I think Federer will still be in the #10 when he retires.

Jaz
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Interesting to see where Federer goes from here~~ he`ll finish 2010 ranked #2 or #3, so he`ll still be seeded highly for atleast the AO next year!! We know he`s ambitious to win 20 slams, though i think it might be out of reach, but 17 or 18 are on the cards.. Wonder if he can actually manage to do it though?
>>Expect that AO & Wimbledon will be his only realistic chances to win slams from here on, as FO & USO are too competitive and perhaps out of reach from next year..

I think aside from French Open, Roger will remain a contender for AO, USO and Wimbledon. However, I get the feeling if that Roger does reach the FO final in any year he will be the favourite for Wimbledon.