Jonas Björkman blogging from Stockholm [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jonas Björkman blogging from Stockholm

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Since the Safin love is huge on this board and Björkman is going to get overshadowed in this weeks blog.

The man deserves a thread of his own and Heja Bob the Builder.

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/blog/current_bjorkman.asp.

MarieS
10-10-2006, 04:41 AM
:ras: I was gonna start this. :lol:
poor bjork, why would atp do this to him?

Sjengster
10-10-2006, 04:43 AM
You have to admit, after Federer's admiration for Tokyo last week it does seem as though both Safin and Bjorkman have been hired by their respective national tourist industries to extol the virtues of their capital city. Bjorkman positively waxes lyrical about Stockholm, but it was still an enjoyable entry overall and I suspect I'll like it more of the two. Good to see a mention of Tojo as well; nobody noticed because he blogged the week after The Tursunov, but his blog from Rome was one of the funniest of the whole year, just in a different, rather more droll style. Federer and Henman apparently told him in the lockerroom that the interference he could see on the TV they were watching was actually his bad eye playing up.... rather cruel of them!

alelysafina
10-10-2006, 04:43 AM
I love his blog!! :yeah:

Tennis Fool
10-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Like I said,

JMac & Pim Pim.

YAIR BABY

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 04:52 AM
Bjorkman positively waxes lyrical about Stockholm, but it was still an enjoyable entry overall and I suspect I'll like it more of the two. Good to see a mention of Tojo as well; nobody noticed because he blogged the week after The Tursunov, but his blog from Rome was one of the funniest of the whole year, just in a different, rather more droll style. Federer and Henman apparently told him in the lockerroom that the interference he could see on the TV they were watching was actually his bad eye playing up.... rather cruel of them!

I am the same it was a good entry and Jonas is a funny guy and well he is right Stockholm is a very beautiful place, there aren't many big cities where you can fish not far from the centre and the fish is edible, though I am not sure about Mardy Fish.

gulzhan
10-10-2006, 04:55 AM
...though I am not sure about Mardy Fish.

:haha:

Sjengster
10-10-2006, 04:59 AM
I am the same it was a good entry and Jonas is a funny guy and well he is right Stockholm is a very beautiful place, there aren't many big cities where you can fish not far from the centre and the fish is edible, though I am not sure about Mardy Fish.

Of course he is.... he was Thai Stir Fried earlier today, in fact.

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Of course he is.... he was Thai Stir Fried earlier today, in fact.

Would I be right in saying both of these guys had won this event?

Then again gravlax is a wonderful Swedish dish and you are right the meat content on Mardy would go quite well with the dish.

Jonas is right about one thing in Sweden at that those hotel buffets you won't go hungry.

Sjengster
10-10-2006, 05:05 AM
Back-to-back champions in 02 and 03, yes. I'd completely forgotten about Sricha's title there, to think he beat Rios in the final.... that was during his red-hot second half of 2002 when he beat Agassi, Hewitt, Safin, Ferrero, Henman, Roddick, Kuerten, Rios and Canas, he's never really recaptured that kind of form.

Vass
10-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Very nice blog. Better than Safin's. :ras:

Bjorkman is one hell of a nice guy.

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Very nice blog. Better than Safin's. :ras:

Bjorkman is one hell of a nice guy.

Good to see you are not surprised. There are some people on MTF who would vote Safin as the Greatest Swedish Player of all time.

World Beater
10-10-2006, 06:43 AM
ignoring the content for a moment, jonas seems to write well for a tennis player. much more structured than the usual, i did this, and then i did that format

Sommarsverige
10-10-2006, 07:43 AM
I am very happy Jonas is doing the blog as well :)
In my eyes he is one of the nicest guys on tour and I am sure he will write a nice and funny blog ;)
He always does one for his homepage, so he is used to it already!

Dushenka
10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
what a nice blog. well written and everything. good example of an interesting blog that doesn't try to be haha-slap-your-tighs-funny. it's not fair though that he gets practically no attention on the atp-site... they'd rather have that 7-top-ten-players-in-action-headline instead... *zzz*

dushenka

MariaV
10-10-2006, 08:38 AM
You have to admit, after Federer's admiration for Tokyo last week it does seem as though both Safin and Bjorkman have been hired by their respective national tourist industries to extol the virtues of their capital city. Bjorkman positively waxes lyrical about Stockholm, but it was still an enjoyable entry overall and I suspect I'll like it more of the two. Good to see a mention of Tojo as well; nobody noticed because he blogged the week after The Tursunov, but his blog from Rome was one of the funniest of the whole year, just in a different, rather more droll style. Federer and Henman apparently told him in the lockerroom that the interference he could see on the TV they were watching was actually his bad eye playing up.... rather cruel of them!

I liked ToJo's blog a lot, one of the best after Dmitry, how he talked about his eye injury for the first time was very serious and interesting to know.

Jonas is writing really well too. :D :yeah: I am with Vass on this, I like Jonas' blog more than Marat's. :o :p (that was for George)
Much better than Marat trying to be funny 'Dmitry-style' that doesn't work for other people than Dmitry.

mer
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Jonas is writing really well too. :D :yeah: I am with Vass on this, I like Jonas' blog more than Marat's. :o :p (that was for George)
Much better than Marat trying to be funny 'Dmitry-style' that doesn't work for other people than Dmitry.

Masha, Marat has never written anything like a blog in his life, you couldn't expect him to write something good. And though I was the first to :rolleyes: at the mere idea of Marat blogging, do you really need to put Marat down in order to praise others? :shrug: Is it to please George? Sorry, I'm grumpy today:p

MariaV
10-10-2006, 08:57 AM
:hug: Aww grumpy Irina, I didn't mean to put Marat down. :awww: :shrug: Like he'd care or ever got to know my opinion.
Pleasing George ..... :confused: :haha: :rolls: The :p was meant to George as he thinks on this board Marat could be elected as the best Swedish tennis player and no-one paid attention to Jonas.
I am not some screaming teeny worshipping the soil under Marat's feet and praising his every deed and word. I can be critical of him, it's my right, no?

mer
10-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I am not some screaming teeny worshipping the soil under Marat's feet and praising his every deed and word. I can be critical of him, it's my right, no?
Masha, do I sound like 'screaming teeny worshipping...'? :scratch: And you know that on Marat's board we are quite sceptical about his blog, so George has some strange perception of Marat's fans... Anyway my point wasn't about the right to be critical... and I'll shut up now since it's Jonas thread, not an appropriate place to discuss Marat I guess...(my apologies, George :p )

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 09:22 AM
So George has some strange perception of Marat's fans... Anyway my point wasn't about the right to be critical... and I'll shut up now since it's Jonas thread, not an appropriate place to discuss Marat I guess...(my apologies, George :p )

I don't have strange perceptions at all, I have seen and met enough of them to make that comment.

Back to Jonas and the blog, he writes well and isn't a fool, well then again that isn't easy to find among tennis players. It's good that he gets fired up as well.

Nicklas Kulti, whom Bjorkman calls "a big jokemaster in Sweden," pulled a fast on Bjorkman by coating his underwear with a hot cream liniment. Bjorkman got even at a Davis Cup final in Gothenburg, where he pulled down Kulti's pants in front of several reporters just as he was entering the press room. "I pull jokes on him whenever I get a chance," says Bjorkman.

Peter Lundgren perpetrated a memorable prank a few years ago at Monte Carlo where many Swedish tour players live. Pretending to be Borg, Lundgren phoned the unsuspecting Bjorkman and invited him to dinner. "I was very excited to go out with Bjorn because he's one of the greatest in tennis history and a huge legend in Sweden," recalls Bjorkman. "I put on some good clothes. But I couldn't get a reservation at the place we were supposed to go. I told them Borg was coming as well, and they managed to get us a table. That made it even more funny because I thought he was coming. And the other guys knew the table wasn't for Bjorn, and it was even more funny."

Sommarsverige
10-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Peter Lundgren perpetrated a memorable prank a few years ago at Monte Carlo where many Swedish tour players live. Pretending to be Borg, Lundgren phoned the unsuspecting Bjorkman and invited him to dinner. "I was very excited to go out with Bjorn because he's one of the greatest in tennis history and a huge legend in Sweden," recalls Bjorkman. "I put on some good clothes. But I couldn't get a reservation at the place we were supposed to go. I told them Borg was coming as well, and they managed to get us a table. That made it even more funny because I thought he was coming. And the other guys knew the table wasn't for Bjorn, and it was even more funny."

This story was the best ever, I remember I couldn´t stop laughing when I heard the story for the first time :lol:

I also always enjoyed the pratical jokes of Gusten (Magnus Gustafsson), all the Swedish guys who played in the 80´s and 90`s have been so funny, including Jonas and Thomas Johansson ;)
They are definitely not that cold as many people think!

hanabishi
10-10-2006, 09:39 AM
This story was the best ever, I remember I couldn´t stop laughing when I heard the story for the first time :lol:

I also always enjoyed the pratical jokes of Gusten (Magnus Gustafsson), all the Swedish guys who played in the 80´s and 90`s have been so funny, including Jonas and Thomas Johansson ;)

I agree.. I met a Swedish guy recently and he's one of the funniest guys I've had the chance to talk with. It's nice to see how people like tennis players really change any preceptions/stereotypes people have with certain nationalities. Like Swedes or Russians, who might be pre-conceived as stoic or cold, but the Swedish and Russian players on the ATP aren't anything like that.

MariaV
10-10-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't have strange perceptions at all, I have seen and met enough of them to make that comment.

Haaa, that sounds like one huge generalization. (So a Marat fan has to be a screaming female paying attention only to his looks? :o :tape: )

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Haaa, that sounds like one huge generalization. (So a Marat fan has to be a screaming female paying attention only to his looks? :o :tape: )

For the most part yes. It's like any generalisation there are certain truths to it.:)

Action Jackson
10-10-2006, 10:57 AM

They do this stuff all the time and since Jonas is the ATP player impressionist and Joakim Nyström used to do it when he was playing.

As for the Swedes being cold, well I wouldn't know about that, sometimes the myth is better than the reality.

buddyholly
10-10-2006, 02:02 PM

What kind of person invites someone to dinner and leaves it up to them to make the reservation? Bjorkman must be easy to dupe.

cobalt60
10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Gentleman Jonas is doing a good job with the blog:yeah:

tennisgal_001
10-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Bjorkman :hug:
Day 1:
Jonas 1
Marat 0

chicky841
10-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I really enjoyed this first entry, its sweet just like Jonas. I love when tennis players talk about their kids.

Im glad that the atp is doing 2 blogs this week, both have different styles to them and its nice to sort of compare them. Plus Jonas will probably last longer than marat and Id like to hear Jonas talk about what Sweden is like.

alelysafina
10-11-2006, 02:57 AM
New entry is up
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/blog/current_bjorkman.asp

Action Jackson
10-11-2006, 03:01 AM
What kind of person invites someone to dinner and leaves it up to them to make the reservation? Bjorkman must be easy to dupe.

It was meant to be Borg so he wasn't going to make the reservation, was he?

mangoes
10-11-2006, 03:33 AM
I liked ToJo's blog a lot, one of the best after Dmitry, how he talked about his eye injury for the first time was very serious and interesting to know.

I also think that Tojo's blog was one of the best. I'm really enjoying Bjorkman's blog. It held my complete interest. And, even though it was a very poetic start, I loved it. Of all the players giving highlights of cities, this was the best description:D

Bagelicious
10-11-2006, 03:41 AM
I'm with the "I totally hearted ToJo's blog and I now prefer Jonas's blog to Marat's" club. I especially love the paragraph about his son it's cute and very funny.

Good to see you are not surprised. There are some people on MTF who would vote Safin as the Greatest Swedish Player of all time.

I'm actually seriously tempted to start this poll just to see it happen! :rolls:

Tennis Fool
10-11-2006, 03:52 AM
I've liked Jonas ever since he got to the SFs of the US Open a few years ago and did a down-to-a-tee impersonation of McEnroe for USA Network. Of course Mac was not pleased. Nice to know they play doubles together now.

I've even forgiven Jonas those nasty remarks he made about the Williams Sisters a few years ago.

Surprised that JMac hasn't made it into a jpeg yet.

Tennis Fool
10-11-2006, 03:56 AM
I'm with the "I totally hearted ToJo's blog and I now prefer Jonas's blog to Marat's" club. I especially love the paragraph about his son it's cute and very funny.

I'm actually seriously tempted to start this poll just to see it happen! :rolls:
Jonas is a light-hearted guy. I didn't expect Marat to be funny. In fact, I thought thought he'd say something like, "I don't know why you guys care. I don't care. I'm having a shitting season anyway, and I'm depressed." Well, I wasn't too off the mark. :o

I think Marat's blog reflects his personality. At the US Open, I could see the thunder clouds above his head, yet it didn't rain (he won the match against Oli.)

peripheral
10-11-2006, 07:44 PM
My son (and sober critic...) Max thought that my performance was okay. Sometimes he thinks that I hit the net unnecessarily often, but today he was pleased and said that it was good that I mostly decided to keep the ball above the net!

Awwww that's adorable! :lol: I'm glad he's playing doubles so we can read some more :yeah:

bluefork
10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I've liked Jonas ever since he got to the SFs of the US Open a few years ago and did a down-to-a-tee impersonation of McEnroe for USA Network. Of course Mac was not pleased. Nice to know they play doubles together now.

I've even forgiven Jonas those nasty remarks he made about the Williams Sisters a few years ago.

Surprised that JMac hasn't made it into a jpeg yet.

What did he say about the Williams Sisters?

hanabishi
10-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Great 3rd entry from Jonas! And the ATP has put his blog as a headline for the first time (and relegated Safin's to the box headlines).

Too bad his blog isn't getting that much attention. I mean, even here at MTF, Safin's blog thread now has more than 10 pages, while we're only at page 3 for Bjorkman.:sad:

Action Jackson
10-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Max should be his coach and hahahahaha about "Candle" and Pippi". Good solid stuff so far.

silverwhite
10-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Great 3rd entry :yeah:

How old is Max? :rolls:

simpletennis
10-12-2006, 06:48 AM
ai!! max is so cute!!!!! "i love our house" ahahaha, such a cute kid. he looks like 3-4

Action Jackson
10-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Max should take over from Wilander when he gives up the Swedish Davis Cup captain's job.

Saumon
10-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Max! :hearts:

Sommarsverige
10-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Max is 3 years old, he was born in january 2003!
He is really so cute :inlove:

Dushenka
10-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Too bad his blog isn't getting that much attention. I mean, even here at MTF, Safin's blog thread now has more than 10 pages, while we're only at page 3 for Bjorkman.:sad:

Well, if you look who's posting and what is being posted on that thread it's basically the same old people rehashing their same old topics. Probably the Bjorkman-readers enjoy the blog and then go on about their own business (instead of wasting their time producing mile long threads *wink*)

dushenka

Sommarsverige
10-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Could someone please post the direct link from yesterdays Jonas blog here? I cannot open it through the ATP site from work :(

Margy
10-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Could someone please post the direct link from yesterdays Jonas blog here? I cannot open it through the ATP site from work :(

here you go

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/blog/current_bjorkman.asp

ReservoirCat
10-12-2006, 08:29 PM
I love Max's perspective.:cool:

"Dad, it's okay. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. I do that too!":hug:

"What a nice house we have." About the hotel.:lol:

Nathaliia
10-12-2006, 08:44 PM
This is a fine blog and Björkman is a top class person :yeah:

chicky841
10-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Just bumping this back to the first page...

star
10-13-2006, 09:11 PM

Maybe Jonas enthuses over Stockholm because he is happy to be home and truly is fond of his home country. I think Swedes in general think their country is lovely and appreciate its gentle beauty.

BelgianWaffle
10-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Really enjoyed the blog, especially the parts about Max ;) and the Swedish tennis in general. :)

Sjengster
10-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Maybe Jonas enthuses over Stockholm because he is happy to be home and truly is fond of his home country. I think Swedes in general think their country is lovely and appreciate its gentle beauty.

My theory is more entertaining, and more importantly, not to be taken entirely seriously.

star
10-14-2006, 12:23 AM
My theory is more entertaining, and more importantly, not to be taken entirely seriously.

While you thought it was "still" enjoyable despite the "lyrical" descriptions, I though the descriptions made it more enjoyable. :p :p

But, of course, since you are British,,,, and more particularly, English... How could you be taken seriously? :p

star
10-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Indescribably cute!

" My son Max learned how to fold and throw a paper plane from Michael Llodra yesterday, and he wouldn’t stop showing me how to do it today (Max, that is!). We also played hide and seek, and Max hid behind the same curtain every time, totally impossible to find!"

cobalt60
10-14-2006, 12:33 AM
This is one of my fav blogs this year as well. So down to earth and such a stand up guy. :worship:

Horatio Caine
10-14-2006, 01:00 AM
But, of course, since you are British,,,, and more particularly, English... How could you be taken seriously? :p

:(

:ras:

:aplot:

Horatio Caine
10-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Nice blog! Marat's is.....strange! :lol: I'm a little wigged out with his bedtime talk :tape:

Sjengster
10-14-2006, 02:32 AM
While you thought it was "still" enjoyable despite the "lyrical" descriptions, I though the descriptions made it more enjoyable. :p :p

So we took different approaches but still both ended up deriving enjoyment from the blog. All roads lead to Rome.... or Stockholm, as the case may be.

It's not my problem if you have an anti-English chip on your shoulder. :p And I'm beginning to think that the US Open has comfortably supplanted Wimbledon as tennis' dampest Slam. :p

Action Jackson
10-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Too bad Jonas and Mac lost, but it's good that Jonas did the blog and I enjoyed reading it and Undici get mentioned, though I wonder if Brolin has lost any of the excess weight he put on.

Gulliver
10-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Since the Safin love is huge on this board and Björkman is going to get overshadowed in this weeks blog.

The man deserves a thread of his own and Heja Bob the Builder.

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/blog/current_bjorkman.asp.

I am so glad there is a separate thread for Jonas, especially as it's proved quite difficult to track him on the ATP site. That front page has become incredibly messy and it should be cleaned up, especially to show where the current blog is.

It appeared that having 2 on the go would result in 1 being overshadowed, but in fact it has been salutary to compare the 2. Safin's has been a bore, (as he finds it a chore) and he has appeared shallow, banal, chauvinistic and does not engage with the fans. Jonas has been friendly, interesting and really entertaining. The bits about his family and Thomas and Gisella's new baby were great. A "people" person, which Safin decidedly is not.

Action Jackson
10-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I am so glad there is a separate thread for Jonas, especially as it's proved quite difficult to track him on the ATP site. That front page has become incredibly messy and it should be cleaned up, especially to show where the current blog is.

It appeared that having 2 on the go would result in 1 being overshadowed, but in fact it has been salutary to compare the 2. Safin's has been a bore, (as he finds it a chore) and he has appeared shallow, banal, chauvinistic and does not engage with the fans. Jonas has been friendly, interesting and really entertaining. The bits about his family and Thomas and Gisella's new baby were great. A "people" person, which Safin decidedly is not.

It worked out well in its own way, let Safin have the hoopla and all the drooling and Björkman in the background. As for Safin, he is just being himself as is Björkman, except Jonas is writing his own one and it's different. Then again some people search for attention and others don't.

Saumon
10-14-2006, 12:34 PM
The last entry was my fav! :D

Congrats to Thomas and Gisella! :yeah:

hanabishi
10-14-2006, 02:13 PM

A Safin hater??? On this board??? Dude, you're violating an MTF Law. haha. :wavey:
Wow, I never thought this day would come. hehe. :eek:

Seriously though, thank you Mr. Bjorkman, for writing such a nice blog, and being one of the true nice guys of tennis. Hats off to you. :hatoff: