Roger is doing CRAZY with his schedule!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger is doing CRAZY with his schedule!!

Monteque
10-09-2006, 03:15 AM
"I am going to play the ATP Masters Series event in Madrid, then Basel, my hometown event, and then the ATP Masters Series Paris tournament, before going to Shanghai to play in the Tennis Masters Cup."

First thing first, what Roger mentioned about those 3 tournies is there are three consecutive schedules non stop:
Madrid 16 Okt, Basel 23 Okt, then Paris 30 Okt.

I think he has no such enough power, strength, and stamina to do it, also each player on the tour. So what's happen with Roger.....

I won't surprised if later Roger will announce about his withdrawal from one of those tourny esp. Basel. However, he will choose the big one and sacrifice his hometown event;) .

Or just for formalism and cheeriness for his hometown he will come into the draw but making it as a very difficult draw and presto, someone gonna beat him as unusual in the early round just like at Cincy to have the longer break time for Paris.

Anyway, we should giving him a salute for his willingness to make appearance in front of his country, that's shows how Roger loves his hometown so much:D .

But still, is he doing a bit crazy and over-schedulling for this year?:confused:

hanabishi
10-09-2006, 03:18 AM
Considering that many guys play almost every week (i.e. Davydenko), not to mention those guys playing in the challengers and futures, I don't think this is that tiring for Roger. He's already sewn up the #1 ranking for this year and he might it be as pressured today compared to earlier this year.

robinhood
10-09-2006, 03:20 AM
No disrespect, Hearts.
But there was a thread exactly like this one here a few days ago....
Also this thread probably belongs to the Fed Forum as the non-Fed-fans couldn't care less.

Merton
10-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Since he is not in dire need of the points, I expect him to withdraw from Paris if he goes deep in Madrid and Basel. Basel is a priority until he wins there. As for playing too much, he played 80 matches in 2004 and 85 matches in 2005. He has played 82 matches so far this year. However, he played 95 matches in 2003 when he was chasing the #1 spot.

Provided that he stays healthy, I expect him to have 97 matches as a maximim at the end of the year. The maximum comes from 5 matches in each of Madrid, Basel and TMC.

Action Jackson
10-09-2006, 03:23 AM
This has been done a few times already and it should be merged with the other thread on GM or moved.

josemanuel
10-09-2006, 05:09 AM
I agree with Merton. IMO if he stays healthy he will play Madrid and Basel and withdraw from Paris. He won´t play 3 weeks in a row.

Action Jackson
10-09-2006, 06:00 AM
If he wins Basel, he won't play in Paris.

CooCooCachoo
10-09-2006, 06:30 AM
:shrug: He has to play Madrid and Paris according to the rules. And he wants to play Basel. So it's logical.

Monteque
10-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Since he is not in dire need of the points, I expect him to withdraw from Paris if he goes deep in Madrid and Basel. Basel is a priority until he wins there. As for playing too much, he played 80 matches in 2004 and 85 matches in 2005. He has played 82 matches so far this year. However, he played 95 matches in 2003 when he was chasing the #1 spot.

Provided that he stays healthy, I expect him to have 97 matches as a maximim at the end of the year. The maximum comes from 5 matches in each of Madrid, Basel and TMC.

As i thought, he will prefer to play in Paris to Basel. He will get more points and money from Paris. It's true he isnt hungry anymore with points or even money but maybe something he looking for is TMS titles records...IMO.

Playing 3 of that tournies is crazy let alone for sweep the titles, so IMO, he will win in Madrid(at least final), loose in early round in Basel, and try all out in Paris. So he wont upset his hometown while he trying to mimic fatigue in his face. :mad:

scarecrows
10-09-2006, 07:08 AM
isnt Rafa playing 4 in a row?

I dont see it as a problem although I think that he'll pull out of Paris

Action Jackson
10-09-2006, 07:14 AM
:shrug: He has to play Madrid and Paris according to the rules. And he wants to play Basel. So it's logical.

I mean he is automatically entered, but unless he loses early in both Madrid or Basel, then he won't play Paris.

Action Jackson
10-09-2006, 07:15 AM
As i thought, he will prefer to play in Paris to Basel. He will get more points and money from Paris. It's true he isnt hungry anymore with points or even money but maybe something he looking for is TMS titles records...IMO.

What are you on about actually?

Doris Loeffel
10-09-2006, 08:59 AM

Playing 3 of that tournies is crazy let alone for sweep the titles, so IMO, he will win in Madrid(at least final), loose in early round in Basel, and try all out in Paris. So he wont upset his hometown while he trying to mimic fatigue in his face. :mad:

So you really think he's gonna tank in Basel so he can play Paris - do you really think that's Roger??

One thing I agree with is that he might not play Basel anymore once he won it... but I hope he still does as it's the only tournament he plays in Switzerland!!

Monteque
10-09-2006, 09:36 AM
To be honest, i dont Roger will tank in Basel or not. Noone could predict what will happen in the future but yeah, he's gonna tanks in Basel, that's somthing possible he will do it.

The match between him and Murray in Cincy, it's really ridiculous match but showed that Roger can be a pretender too. He almost did nothing in that match, and more strange, Murray also did the same but he still won:confused:
I'm not blame evrybody at all but the restless calendar between Toronto and Cincy is the one to be blame.

But again, i dont know what will Roger do, ok. It's just my thought. Let alone if he wins in Madrid, he will need some breaks. And as long as i remember Roger never doing this which he won the tournies back to back without resting, right??.

RonE
10-09-2006, 09:43 AM
He also said before the clay season started that he would play all 3 clay Master Series but ended up withdrawing from Hamburg after a marathon final in Rome.

I expect the same will happen should he go deep in some of the events he is scheduled to play in, particularly if he has long tough matches.

federerfan7465
10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
If Roger wants to ensure the number one spot for next year- He shouldnt play Madrid and/or Paris.

That way, if it comes late enxt year and he and Rafa are down to the wire- he'll be in prime shape to gani some points.

Just a thought.

stebs
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
He said that. Doesn't mean he'll do that.

alfonsojose
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm pretty sure he won't play in Paris, but it was really dumb to play in Tokyo

yanchr
10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
As long as he doesn't come out this Sunday and say, sorry guys, I'm habitually injured again, I'm fine with his whatever schedule :tape:

Seriously I don't think he will play Paris.

CmonAussie
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm pretty sure he won't play in Paris, but it was really dumb to play in Tokyo
:wavey:
I think it was really smart of Roger to play Tokyo;) ~~ I live in Japan although I`m an Aussie...& let me tell you most young Japanese only knew about Sharapova:o before Federer finally made his way to this land!!! Thankfully Fed finally got some of the media he deserved here ~ as they broadcast all of his matches on national free-to-air TV (NHK)...The only other opportunity the Japanese have had has been the final few rounds of Wimbledon every year:eek: .....Anyway the Japanese were slow but they`ve finally discovered about the World`s Greatest Sportsman:worship:

However it would be dumb to play ...Madrid, Basel, Paris & Shanghai:eek: ~~so I suspect he`ll drop the one which is least significant to him = Paris:sad: ;)

Rogiman
10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I wish he dropped Madrid and played Paris, TMS Paris is a great tournament with rich tradition and a history of great winners, Madrid is shit.

CmonAussie
10-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I wish he dropped Madrid and played Paris, TMS Paris is a great tournament with rich tradition and a history of great winners, Madrid is shit.
Roger wants to win Madrid so he can gain a psychological victory over Rafael;) ........>>> He knows how Mr.Pirate Pants wants to defend his title & he also knows the Spanish think Federer isn`t as much of a man as their boy:p ~~~Best way to prove he is ~by winning Nadal`s hope event:cool:

vincayou
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I think that he will play both Madrid and Paris. He skipped them many times, and he is aware of that. And he never won them.

Big schedule ahead.

Corey Feldman
10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Fed has played these 3 events indoors before, (or when it was stuttgart) its not that big a deal....... obviously most would expect him to be in finals though, so that changes it.. but the difference is getting a BYE in paris, that 2 or 3 days might make a difference.
he might WD from paris, he might lose early in madrid or basel - who knows what will happen.

If Roger wants to ensure the number one spot for next year- He shouldnt play Madrid and/or Paris.that makes no sense.... so if roger wants to ensure the no1 spot = dont play the big point TMS events where he defends zero
lol :silly:

Dancing Hero
10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Nah, Fedo must know what he's doing. He's young and in his prime, he's healthy and he'll recover quickly from best of three set matches. He's a highly trained athlete. He won't have to go three sets much anyway. Like Mac 84 or Lendl in his prime, line em up and knock em down.

nobama
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I'd rather have Roger be playing in a tournament because it seems when he's not he ends up getting injured. :lol: He has this week off....I wonder what he'll do to injure himself this time. :o

megadeth
10-09-2006, 06:36 PM
just like in gstaad. fed just wants to win one swiss tourney and then he won't defend it anymore the next year...

DDrago2
10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I don't see any motive for Federer to do well in Madrid and Paris masters. He had an almost impossible season, is no.1 by far - wrong time for stepping up the gas

His only real aim could be Shangai masters finals, and eventualy Basel from his own reasons

nobama
10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
just like in gstaad. fed just wants to win one swiss tourney and then he won't defend it anymore the next year...I don't think you can compare the two as gstaad is on clay in between Wimbledon and the summer hard courts. Makes no sense for him to play a clay court tournament then.

Havok
10-09-2006, 07:53 PM
All top ranked players are automatically entered in the TMS events so he has no choice but to play those. It just sucks for him that his hometown event (Basel) is right in between those events. It isn't such a harsh schedule, but a fairly normal one for a top player. He hasn't played since DC (he only played 3 matches and all were painfully easy) so playing 3 weeks in a row isn't the end of the world. Mind you Federer usualy sucks when he has to play back-to-back big events (see Canada/Cincinnati). He does well at IW/Miami since those are 6 matches stretched over 2 weeks per event so he's got enough time to rest.

On the other hand, Davydenko has a FUCKED UP schedule year round. Male players who play more than 24 events a year, alarms should be starting to ring in their heads. This isn't the WTA where you can swap a shit event with a decent one. You only got 5 optional events, which can't sub for a shitty TMS/GS result.

oz_boz
10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
He won´t play all three unless he fucks up in Madrid and Basel.

Johnny Groove
10-09-2006, 08:08 PM
isnt Rafa playing 4 in a row?

I dont see it as a problem although I think that he'll pull out of Paris

i dont think Rafa will win Stockholm or Basel. His REAL priorities are Madrid and Paris. He wont play 4 weeks winning tournamnets consecutively.

Corey Feldman
10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
He hasn't played since DC (he only played 3 matches and all were painfully easy) so playing 3 weeks in a row isn't the end of the world. Mind you Federer usualy sucks when he has to play back-to-back big events (see Canada/Cincinnati). He does well at IW/Miami since those are 6 matches stretched over 2 weeks per event so he's got enough time to rest. actually he played in Tokyo last week and won.

:lol:

federerfan7465
10-10-2006, 02:21 AM
that makes no sense.... so if roger wants to ensure the no1 spot = dont play the big point TMS events where he defends zero
lol :silly:

Clearly you dont understand the 52 week rolling calendar.

If he doesnt play Madrid/Paris, and the race is tight in 2007- He'd be in better shape going into Paris with zero points to defend, rather than 500.

So yeah.

Corey Feldman
10-10-2006, 02:33 AM
i understand it..
and taking the entry ranking away.... if he had another season like this he could go to those events next year 500+ points up anyway, wouldnt matter what he defends.

atheneglaukopis
10-10-2006, 02:49 AM
As I understand it, the Race doesn't look at points to defend anyway, and after Paris, Race = Ranking, because the TMC points fall off too.

When the competition for the number one spot could get tight when defending points matters is right after AO, because Federer is defending 1000 and Nadal 0, so if Federer wants to keep up the consecutive weeks record, he'd better rack up all the points he can now as a buffer (obviously without injuring himself and jeopardizing AO participation, which would be worse). Going into Paris a year from now, if Fed hasn't guaranteed himself the number one spot at the end of the season, he hasn't guaranteed it regardless of how well or poorly he does this year.

CmonAussie
10-10-2006, 02:54 AM
i understand it..
and taking the entry ranking away.... if he had another season like this he could go to those events next year 500+ points up anyway, wouldnt matter what he defends.
:wavey: ~Are you sure you understand it:confused:
..............Federer has already nailed down #1 for 2006 & by a clear margin:cool:
..........>>>>When it comes to rankings people only ever remember the Year-End #1;)
.............~~Seemingly Federer`s only risk that may prevent him surpassing Sampras`s records (6-successive YE #1s & 14-Slams) are from burnout:eek:

----->>>>Why not take it easy during the indoor season & kick-arse at the lucrative TMC (lucrative for points, money & prestige) >> then get himself back into training for AO 2007;) --->>>

As far as everyone is concerned 2006 is practically over>> Federer doesn`t need to prove his the best for the final weeks of the season~~ he`s already proved himself when it mattered most:worship: ~~Then next year he`s expected to do it again~~ however if he over plays & gets injured or just fatigued then starts 2007 on the wrong foot [a la Nadal this year]~ then surely he`ll regret:sad: playing 5-tournaments in the indoor season [Tokyo, Madrid, Basel, Paris, Shanghai]...# For the other Top-10 players like Nalbandian this is an important time to prove their worth since they haven`t won anything significant all year:p ...Nadal is OK but he should endeavor to win one more tourney before the year draws to a close:cool: ..Nadal hasn`t won anything sinche the FO:eek:

Corey Feldman
10-10-2006, 03:03 AM
that is what i mean... year end no1 is all that matters and if you go by the champions race (if fed is ranked 1 by this time next year with a 500 point lead any defending ENTRY points wouldnt matter - they dont come into it) not like Rafa will catch him anyway.

RickDaStick
10-10-2006, 03:07 AM
[QUOTE=Hearts;4244245]"I am going to play the ATP Masters Series event in Madrid, then Basel, my hometown event, and then the ATP Masters Series Paris tournament, before going to Shanghai to play in the Tennis Masters Cup."

Sure you are Roger

Monteque
10-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Sure you are Roger

:rolleyes:

Monteque
10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
He won´t play all three unless he fucks up in Madrid and Basel.

Roger never fucks up in 2 tournies back to back. He will win either in Madrid or Basel but still i think he will trying the best in Paris.

He likes a fast train now, noone gonna stop him :cool:

t0x
10-10-2006, 04:15 PM
It sucks that Basel is played between the two.

I'd like to see Fed play both TMS and skip Basel, but I understand he wants to win his hometown tourney so he should just skip Paris (unless he has a shock early exit in the other 2).

Monteque
10-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Is it still Roger will play in Basel and then in Paris??/

He should follow Nadal to quit Basel and play good in Paris...

virex
10-21-2006, 04:23 PM
i think he´s gonna play basel and skip paris.
it´s the best for him

rofe
10-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Is it still Roger will play in Basel and then in Paris??/

He should follow Nadal to quit Basel and play good in Paris...

He won't skip Basel this year.

guga2120
10-21-2006, 06:45 PM
he just roll through Basel as hes done in Madrid, and then withdraw from Paris.

zicofirol
10-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I doubt he is pulling out of Basel.

selesfan
10-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I think he will pull out of Paris

v__m
10-21-2006, 08:36 PM
FEd prefer wins Basel instead of Paris

ehheheh

NYCtennisfan
10-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Federer will almost surely play Basel. Even if he has a 5 set marathon with Gonzo, I think he will play. If he loses early in Basel, the he will play Paris. If he does lose early in Basel, there will be a 500 post in GM about him tanking. :)

Skyward
10-21-2006, 09:01 PM
If he does lose early in Basel, there will be a 500 post in GM about him tanking. :)

And another 500 posts about the end of his domination. :)

NYCtennisfan
10-21-2006, 09:03 PM
And another 500 posts about the end of his domination. :)

:lol: Then there will these corollary threads:

-this era is weak and therefore the domination existed in the first place
-Pete was better
-can't handle the pressure of playing his hometown tournament
-why is Mirka fat?

Skyward
10-21-2006, 09:05 PM

-this era is weak and therefore the domination existed in the first place
-Pete was better
-can't handle the pressure of playing his hometown tournament
-why is Mirka fat?

:haha:

bluefork
10-21-2006, 09:47 PM
If he pulls out of Paris, what will be his excuse? Fatigue?

And didn't people say he was going to pull out of Cincinnati after winning Toronto? He didn't do that of course. I think he'll probably play both Basel and Paris, and end up losing kind of early in Paris like he did in Cincy.

It's too bad for him that the schedule is the way it is.

Monteque
10-22-2006, 01:30 AM

-why is Mirka fat?

:haha:
This is actually is out of place AT ALL.

Now i think he wont skip one of those tournies but there's a chance he will tank at one for better result in another one. Let alone he should taking care of his own to keep far away from injury, so dont to harsh for yourself Roger:devil:

Monteque
10-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Now after won the Madrid, I'm pretty sure he feels little bit tired.
Oh Rogerr, why you are so rude with your body let alone your ankle looks not so good.......:(