Remember the Longest Day at the U.S. Open? (1984) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Remember the Longest Day at the U.S. Open? (1984)

MisterQ
10-08-2006, 01:59 AM
The final Saturday, USO 1984.

Lendl-Cash
Evert-Navratilova
McEnroe-Connors

All three matches went the distance. :cool:

Here's some nice footage of that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjmqH4USJH4&mode=related&search=

Corey Feldman
10-08-2006, 02:08 AM
must be that Semi final Pat Cash spoke about in his book....... he was as furious 20 years later about a bad line call when he had, and lost, a match point v Lendl ....as he was that day :lol:

he got his revenge 3 years later at least. :)

JW10S
10-08-2006, 02:09 AM
The day actually began with the final of the Men's 35 & over doubles, which also went the distance.

Macbrother
10-08-2006, 02:23 AM
I was only 2 years old then. ;), never even heard of this day, thanks for the post! I've watched some of the old matches and I'm still amazed how much feel and touch those guys had around the net, the brilliant passing shots with the old raquets, the lobs.. it's really nice looking back on the greats. Of course it's sometimes painful watching how slow the serves and the "crushing" forehands are. ;)

gusman890
10-08-2006, 02:30 AM
probally one of the best days of tennis history will ever see.

Tennis Fool
10-08-2006, 02:31 AM
Yeah, and it's only been every year that CBS or USA reminds us of it ;)

CmonAussie
10-08-2006, 05:38 AM
must be that Semi final Pat Cash spoke about in his book....... he was as furious 20 years later about a bad line call when he had, and lost, a match point v Lendl ....as he was that day :lol:

he got his revenge 3 years later at least. :)
:wavey:
Lendl seemed to bring out the best in Cash:devil: :cool: ....#Apart from the 1987 Wimbledon final Cash also defeated Lendl in back-to-back AO SF~~ 1987 & 1988:worship: ....The latter was another classic 5-setter;)

.....Still it`s a pity Cash couldn`t win one more Slam~~ boy he came close in those AO finals & obviously the 84 USO was another close call....Some people like to call him a One Slam Wonder:o ~ actually he could have won 3-4 with a bit more luck:sad:

NYCtennisfan
10-08-2006, 06:10 AM
My father, uncle, and older brother were there. My little brother and I were at a birthday party. :(

Aphex
10-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Is that Mary Carillo's voice? :lol:
And Western movie music! :haha:
You don't really need Saturday Night Live to have fun in America, do you? :rolls:

Action Jackson
10-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the memories.

MisterQ
10-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Yeah, and it's only been every year that CBS or USA reminds us of it ;)

CBS hired me to do it on the offseason. :lol: ;)

Dancing Hero
10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Just about remember Super Saturday 84. :)

Boiling hot I think, all matches went to the final set and the names involved are now legends of the game.

Lendl-Cash touch and go, just felt Lendl would have have enough to go through, but Cash had a strong Slam year 84, semis Wim and US. Cash was an exciting prospect then.

Navratlova- Evert I don't recall much, but I'm sure it was good. :)

Mac-Connors was another 5 set classic, like the 80 encounter. I didn't see that one though. Mac's big serves just about seeing him through. Another 4 hour plus battle that ended late at night. I saw most of it live I think and then saw the rest at a mate's house later. Sketchy now.:)

Great stuff.

Merton
10-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks for that Q. It was remarkable that JMac came back the next day and just murdered Lendl, it seemed that the Cash match took a heavier toll than the Connors match.