How come Big Dave never plays optionals? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How come Big Dave never plays optionals?

Johnny Groove
10-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I mean, all his tourneys are either TMS or Grand Slams. He doesnt really seem to care about warm up tourneys. Vienna is only his 2nd optional of the year :tape: he can gain a shitload more points and valuable warm up matches, but i dont get him.

Do the Mickey Mouse events cut into his rally car team, his gay bar touring, his fishing, eating, sleeping?

This is the 3rd year in a row that hes had 2 or less optionals going into the indoor season :tape:

Action Jackson
10-07-2006, 01:12 PM
It's not like he is fully dedicated to tennis in the monastic existence like some other players. He doesn't play enough optionals and Davydenko plays too many. Law 18.

He has had some injury problems in the past that have limited him and he can play well after a break, whereas not many others can. It's not like he would be much higher in the rankings with playing more optionals.

It's actually a tribute to his talent, how well he has done considering his lack of play.

gooner88
10-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I think injuries have played a part. This year alone he has missed 3 optionals due to injury, and all this means he wants to enter the big tournaments in the best shape possible. But the lack of matches does hurt him I feel when it comes to the deep end of big tournaments.
Another explanation is that he loves his rally cars so much he can only be without them for a few weeks at a time.

Jimnik
10-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I would love to see a player go through a whole year playing only Slams, Masters Series and Davis Cup matches. I bet Fat Dave would still be ranked in the top 8.

Adler
10-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Nalbi may have problems with reaching Top 8. Last year he played in Shanghai simply got lucky - Lleyton was waiting for his first child and others had their problems

supersexynadal
10-07-2006, 02:04 PM
because he wants to play golf and beat the other players at golf AND tennis

Checho
10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Nalbandian isn't interested in tennis, he takes it as a job. He always says that he is 24 years old and he only wants to enjoy the life. His Passion isn't tennis, It is the rally.

He doesn't like to play small tournaments becuase he doesn't love tennis. His only motivations are the Grand Slams and the Davis Cup.

Corey Feldman
10-07-2006, 07:08 PM
bit lazy/more interested in other things/not motivated for the smaller events...
probably all of those, he's always doing enough to keep himself in the top10, last year he was so lucky to get in that TMC and win it with all those WD's.

not sure if he'll make shanghai this year but he is playing the 4 straight weeks vienna-madrid-basel-paris and has a great record is some of those tournies.

Melvins
10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
It's because Estoril Open is so good! :devil: All others International Series are very poor and Estoril Open is awesome. So, he only has motivation to Estoril!:p

jayjay
10-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Do the Mickey Mouse events cut into his rally car team, his gay bar touring, his fishing, eating, sleeping?

Yes.

CmonAussie
10-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Nalbandian isn't interested in tennis, he takes it as a job. He always says that he is 24 years old and he only wants to enjoy the life. His Passion isn't tennis, It is the rally.

He doesn't like to play small tournaments becuase he doesn't love tennis. His only motivations are the Grand Slams and the Davis Cup.
:wavey:
I guess that explains why Nalby is a wasted talent:p .....>>>....you say he "isn`t interested in tennis":eek: !!!
Maybe he should take more of an interest ~~ otherwise in a blink of an eye his career will have passed him by & he can focus full-time on the rally driving:rolleyes:

PS.#~~ Here`s a link a clip where Nalby looks interested (maybe he`s gay because Hewitt`s the only one who seems to interest him)...[~-^]... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUwlq8GI3Q

gusman890
10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
nably is one of the biggest's whatifs in tennis - my opinion

Checho
10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
I guess that explains why Nalby is a wasted talent:p .....>>>....you say he "isn`t interested in tennis":eek: !!!
Maybe he should take more of an interest ~~ otherwise in a blink of an eye his career will have passed him by & he can focus full-time on the rally driving:rolleyes:

PS.#~~ Here`s a link a clip where Nalby looks interested (maybe he`s gay because Hewitt`s the only one who seems to interest him)...[~-^]... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUwlq8GI3Q

You're totally right, but he'll never change. Don't be surprised if David retires very young.

Besides, the Davis Cup is one of his main goals, if Argentina beats Russia, he will be even less motivated.

josemanuel
10-07-2006, 09:45 PM
This year he entered Barcelona and withdrew because he had a rally in Argentina. And the week before he had played Montecarlo and then he went to Estoril. It´s a very long trip coming back to Argentina and then back to Europe, just for a rally, but...
He doesn´t put tennis as his goal, just his work. It´s a pity, but that´s his way of scheduling.

Halba
10-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Nalby => Safin

:smash:

RickDaStick
10-07-2006, 10:41 PM
because he is fat

scarecrows
10-07-2006, 10:50 PM
I thought he was called Fat Dave

Melvins
10-07-2006, 11:22 PM
This year he entered Barcelona and withdrew because he had a rally in Argentina. And the week before he had played Montecarlo and then he went to Estoril. It´s a very long trip coming back to Argentina and then back to Europe, just for a rally, but...
He doesn´t put tennis as his goal, just his work. It´s a pity, but that´s his way of scheduling.

In Estoril Open week, he was co-driver of a portuguese female driver (that participated in Dakar) in non-competition rally at Alentejo (region 100/200km away from Lisbon).

CmonAussie
10-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Nalby => Safin

:smash:
If Nalby managed to do a Safin & win a USO, win an AO, help his country win a Davis Cup & become #1 briefly then I think David`s reume would look much better:p

Safin is an underachiever:sad:
Nalby is unprofessional:mad:

Aphex
10-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Fat Dave :worship:

Corey Feldman
10-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Do the Mickey Mouse events cut into his rally car team, his gay bar touring, his fishing, eating, sleeping?his gay bar touring with F.Lo, Berdy and Rafa :lol: