McEnroe Meltdown in Memphis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

McEnroe Meltdown in Memphis

nobama
10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
:haha:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A20305

McEnroe Meltdown in Memphis
OCTOBER 5, 2006 - 11:43 PM

John McEnroe, one of the greatest tennis players in history, had an on-court meltdown in Memphis that nearly cost him an eye.

Playing Wayne Ferriera in the Stanford Championships, a seniors event at the Racquet Club, McEnroe bent over and smashed a ball on the court in anger during the tiebreaker after the players had split the first two sets. The ball bounced up and hit McEnroe in the face, either on or near his eye. He remained bent over for about a minute holding his eye as the crowd hushed and Ferriera walked around to McEnroe’s side of the court to see if he was all right.

McEnroe resumed play but lost his temper a few moments later in the middle of the tiebreaker. He berated a linesman over a call, then turned his anger on the chair umpire, yelling “shut up” at him. The umpire promptly penalized McEnroe a point, which caused McEnroe to continue abusing the official as he walked to the side of the court. McEnroe sat down in a chair and put his racquet in his bag. It appeared as if he was going to quit, but a tournament official walked over to talk to him for several minutes and play eventually resumed.

McEnroe lost the match, refused to shake the umpire’s hand, and left the court. He is scheduled to play at least two more times in the round-robin tournament which features former touring pros over 35. The event mixes socializing with competition, and most of the other seven players generally smiled and joked with the crowd during play. McEnroe, however, was all business from start to finish, showing flashes of the brilliance that made him the number-one player in the world for part of the 1980s.

supersexynadal
10-07-2006, 11:22 AM
HE TOTALLY DESERVED IT!! I just wish it had happened in his prime during a us open final. What an idiot.

Tennis Fool
10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Isn't he too old for this stuff?

CmonAussie
10-07-2006, 11:24 AM
HE TOTALLY DESERVED IT!! I just wish it had happened in his prime during a us open final. What an idiot.

:p McEnroe is an egotistical wanker & always will be:o :o ........however he did make good TV viewing~~simply because nobody could believe that an elite athlete could be such a dickhead:p

nobama
10-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I wish I could find a picture....he looks like a total dork with the Nadal style pirate pants and white socks pulled halfway up his skinny legs. :silly:

supersexynadal
10-07-2006, 11:56 AM
I wish I could find a picture....he looks like a total dork with the Nadal style pirate pants and white socks pulled halfway up his skinny legs. :silly:

And the worst thing is he critisizes him all the time. I bet he was mocking him the day he wore them...

McEnroe is an egotistical wanker & always will be ........however he did make good TV viewing~~simply because nobody could believe that an elite athlete could be such a dickhead

Everyone knows hes a dickhead. Some people just like to make excuses for his behavior.:o

NYCtennisfan
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
There is no senior's event that McEnroe plays where he doesn't behave somewhat like this. The crowd expects it, the tournament officials expect it, everyone expects it. I think many of these people would feel as if they were ripped off if JMAC didn't go on some type of tirade.

Some of it may be real, but when you know everyone expects JMAC to do this, one wonders how MUCH of it is real emotion.

supersexynadal
10-07-2006, 12:11 PM
There is no senior's event that McEnroe plays where he doesn't behave somewhat like this. The crowd expects it, the tournament officials expect it, everyone expects it. I think many of these people would feel as if they were ripped off if JMAC didn't go on some type of tirade.

Some of it may be real, but when you know everyone expects JMAC to do this, one wonders how MUCH of it is real emotion.
Exactly...Because people expect it, so he over does it to bring attention to himself. Just spoilt kids find their way of getting things.

Corey Feldman
10-07-2006, 12:48 PM

Some of it may be real, but when you know everyone expects JMAC to do this, one wonders how MUCH of it is real emotion.Agree..

but it did sound this time like he really went in a huff because he smacked himself in the eye.... felt a bit :o i bet and wanted outta there fast

:lol:

cobalt60
10-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Isn't he too old for this stuff?

Some egos/ids never grow up.

Action Jackson
10-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Scripted better than pro wrestling.

cobalt60
10-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Scripted better than pro wrestling.

Or maybe the almost eye damage made him improvise;) I just have never enjoyed this guy.

thrust
10-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Some things will never change!

DrJules
10-07-2006, 02:32 PM
All round the world umpires will be bidding for the tennis ball.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Clara Bow
10-07-2006, 02:49 PM
And the worst thing is he critisizes him all the time. I bet he was mocking him the day he wore them...

I don't agree with you there. In fact- JMac is a pretty big Nadal fan. He can praise him quite a bit when he is commentating on his matches and has called him a "good kid" on several occasions after matches. He also gave him props on David Letterman before the USO. He also mentioned that he would like to play doubles with Nadal or Murray some other time.

I imagine when JMac is 95 and playing in a retirement community he will still be throwing tantrums - knocking over the cooler filled with Ensure, etc.

I do agree that some if this is for show. The crowd expects it.

Rosa Luxembourg
10-07-2006, 02:50 PM
would pay a million to see this a black eye on him...

Kalliopeia
10-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't agree with you there. In fact- JMac is a pretty big Nadal fan. He can praise him quite a bit when he is commentating on his matches and has called him a "good kid" on several occasions after matches. He also gave him props on David Letterman before the USO. He also mentioned that he would like to play doubles with Nadal or Murray some other time.

I agree, he's always seemed to really like Nadal. I've never heard him say anything bad about him, that i can recall. I think I've got a picture of them playing some kind of thing together. Mac's in an identical outfit as Rafa (blue sleeveless shirt and piratas) and it's hilarious.

cmurray
10-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I think it's probably some of both. I think he does have a bad temper which is made worse when he's embarrassed. I also think that he feels obligated to put on a show.

partygirl
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I love him but it pretty much speaks volumes about the kind of person he is and how he deals with things, which obviously is -badly.

you are in tennis who you are in life.

tennisgal_001
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
McEnroe lost the match

<shocking>
:rolleyes:

CooCooCachoo
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
How I hope he has/had the same umpire in other matches :angel:

Howard
10-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I think this points out an unfortunate and painful truth. Tennis needs personalities, even bad ones.

cmurray
10-07-2006, 10:54 PM
I think this points out an unfortunate and painful truth. Tennis needs personalities, even bad ones.

I'd even go so far as to say ESPECIALLY bad ones. Think of the rivalries we've had in the past.

McEnroe v Borg
McEnroe v Connors
Sampras v Agassi
Federer v Nadal? - I mean, it's TRAGIC. All of our other tennis rivalries had at least 1 brat in them. Neither the fedman nor Rafa are brats. Too bad Kiwi sux. He'd make a good brat.

BlueEyedHalfling
10-07-2006, 11:06 PM

I agree with you. I went to the Outback series when it was in Charlotte and the crowd was just waiting for McEnroe to get angry. Sure enough when he started hitting balls out of the stands and yelling at the umpire people started laughing and even cheering him on. I was rather embarrassed for him though. [side note: Pat Cash who he was playing against handled it well. He was chatting with the audience and even went over to one girl and took her wine glass and started sipping it. I feel in love with Cash during this match :hearts:]

Also the local newsaper interviewed him asking if he was going to get into any arguments and McEnroe said of course and even talked about how he felt he was becoming a caricature of himself.

Amy

JW10S
10-07-2006, 11:13 PM
McEnroe said on an interview on TTC that when he played the main tour he'd get fined when he made an outburst and now he gets fined if he doesn't make one. It was said somewhat tongue-in-cheek but I don't believe he does it just for show.

croat123
10-07-2006, 11:16 PM
:retard:

robinhood
10-08-2006, 12:49 AM
McEnroe Meltdown in (Insert City)

MisterQ
10-08-2006, 01:52 AM
At least he managed not to get defaulted... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-52G_eaAni4&mode=related&search=

CooCooCachoo
10-08-2006, 08:08 AM

:lol: :rocker: Go umpire

Action Jackson
10-08-2006, 09:57 AM
This is how to handle the McEnroe problem start at around the 53sec mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAPwx3z950

nobama
10-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Why?

partygirl
10-08-2006, 11:01 AM

they wore shorts like that up until 1990?:eek::drool:

some guys don't find it hard to be a total bitch in hotpants:rolls: