"What an awesome idea! Someone pass this on to the ITF." [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"What an awesome idea! Someone pass this on to the ITF."

tennisgal_001
10-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I was just reading Jon Wertheim's tennis mailbag for this week on SI.com, and came across this excellent idea:

Why does Davis Cup insist on playing out "dead rubbers"? If it's just for the fans who bought tickets, can't they have "mixed" doubles instead, i.e. Blake-Tursunov vs. Roddick-Safin? To me, that would be a great way to wrap up a weekend of international competition. Heck, there might even be some motivation to win since the matches won't be utterly pointless. Throw in the possibility of Hewitt having to call Nalbandian "partner" and the entertainment stock keeps rising.
-- Nitin Arora, Charleston, S.C.

Your thoughts?

LaTenista
10-06-2006, 04:16 PM
:haha: Hewitt and Nalbandian would intentially try to hit each other while playing.

jayjay
10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
:haha: Hewitt and Nalbandian would intentially try to hit each other while playing.

That would be worth paying to see. :)

atheneglaukopis
10-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I guess I fail to see why being forced to partner Roddick would make Safin more motivated rather than less, if he doesn't want to be there in the first place. :shrug:

jayjay
10-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I guess I fail to see why being forced to partner Roddick would make Safin more motivated rather than less, if he doesn't want to be there in the first place. :shrug:

Agreed. Once the tie is over, it's over. Dead rubbers are meaningful for younger players getting their first DC experience (even if it is dead), however in the grand scheme of things it means very little if anything at all.

Jimnik
10-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Sounds like fun, but it will never happen.

mangoes
10-06-2006, 04:31 PM
That's a very good idea.......

Byrd
10-06-2006, 04:38 PM
What country gets the point when a team wins?

Norrage
10-06-2006, 04:42 PM
This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

zicofirol
10-06-2006, 04:44 PM
This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

^^^^^

GlennMirnyi
10-06-2006, 05:00 PM
How can be such idiotic people in the world? That's just ridiculous. Tennis is not a circus. The players are there for their countries, not to amuse some idiotic fans.
Where's sharpeirob when we need him?

peacechick
10-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be funny as hell to see, especially teams like Hewitt/Nalbandian and Hewitt/Chela or Hewitt and any other argentine for that matter.
It just doesn't have much to do with the Davis Cup since it's a country thing...shame though I'd love to see it once :lol: