Anyone else as excited about the Australian Open 2007 as me? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anyone else as excited about the Australian Open 2007 as me?

leng jai
10-06-2006, 08:06 AM
I mean, assuming there are no injuries this could be one of the most exciting grand slams in a while. Nadal will be extremely eager to show what he can do on rebound ace, and a match between him and Roger is about 50/50 IMO. Safin seems to play well at the Aus Open no matter what his form is like prior to the tournament. Andy Roddick has gotten a lot better at the latter parts of this year and has some of his old mojo back.

Tommy Haas usually plays well at the Aus Open too, and he could give it a shake. Lets not forget Marcos, hes capable of doing anything and might surprise everyone again. Heck we might even seen Gustavo Kuerten get a wildcard (and probably lose 1st round unfortunately). And to top it all of I'll be going to watch Ivanovic and Kirilenko play doubles :D :D :D

Action Jackson
10-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Too early to be excited, closer to the date then yes, but not now and surprise there had to be a Haas reference there.

leng jai
10-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Yes I'm a Haastard. But he should be considered as a Aus Open contender.

Action Jackson
10-06-2006, 08:20 AM
No.

disturb3d
10-06-2006, 08:21 AM
I can see Safin doing well. But he will cower during the second week.
With age came realization he has no integrity as a tennis player.
The again, he could just as well win the whole thing.

Haas is a quality pawn for the World's best. Not a slam contender.

The court surface is the fairest in the world, but the finalists are already set in stone.

CmonAussie
10-06-2006, 08:21 AM
I`m excited!!

If Hewitt ever manages to win that thing I might just have a cardiac arrest though(><).

A Federer vs Nadal final Down Under would be very interesting~ esp. as the surface brings both their strenghs to the fore...!!!

Clara Bow
10-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I always get pretty exited about the Aussie Open. And I do look really forward to 2007- if all the top players are healthy it could be the one of the best if not the best ever. I think it is the most level playing field in terms of surface, and has the best crowds. I am not getting hyped up yet because there are other sporting events ( there is still the American football regular season- the World Series - TMC - college football, etc.) to occupy my sports cluttered mind. So I can't spend too much excitement- just anticipation at this point. :)

leng jai
10-06-2006, 08:51 AM
I agree that Haas doesn't have the x-factor to win slams, but hes still a contender is a sense that he can beat anyone there and put up a good showing.

Flibbertigibbet
10-06-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm still excited about the rest of the tennis season. :p

Action Jackson
10-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Haas's days of doing well in Slams are over, lets say I don't expect 2 QFs and a SF like Davydenko has done. If he makes the 4th round, then that's a good showing.

Polikarpov
10-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Its to early for me to get excited.

I'm looking forward to Shanghai.:)

Xristos
10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Hopefully I can get a wildcard....

Trivial
10-06-2006, 09:18 AM

Lmao..Good One!! :D :D

leng jai
10-06-2006, 09:32 AM

No, they'd rather give it to Phillipousis

~EMiLiTA~
10-06-2006, 09:48 AM
yes I'm very excited about it too..i have been starved of tennis all year so i cannot wait for the Aus season. Though it is still a bit early...ask me again in a few months hehe

Ferrero Forever
10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I"m so excited, I've already got tickets for Kooyong (the week before Aus Open) and I'm getting 2 Aus Open tickets tomorrow after my music lesson (first two days vodafone arena tickets for now).

Jimnik
10-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Finally a slam which is wide open. Just pray that Nadal, Safin and everyone else stay healthy.

lebby
10-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm already excited, it will be Roger's tenth slam. OMG.

bad gambler
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
yes

Kristen
10-07-2006, 03:56 AM
yes! Less than 100 days to go! :D
Not that I wrote it in my organiser, or anything :eek: :o

GlennMirnyi
10-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Not excited at all. It's always the GS that gets the less attention...

its.like.that
10-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Let's hope Todd Reid can win a few matches this time.

Fingers crossed.

Kristen
10-07-2006, 04:07 AM
:lol: In the pre-qualifying tournament!?
It would be good to see some decent tennis from him.

bad gambler
10-07-2006, 04:11 AM
Does anyone actually know where he is?

doublebackhand
10-07-2006, 04:49 AM
i am a little excited now but will definitely be very by then, coz my friends down under got me tickets to the semis and finals!! yay!!! i wanna see someone win his 10th!

Corey Feldman
10-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Im looking forward to it as always... great event, courts, weather and fans.

just need to train my body for being up from midnight till 8am every night to watch it all :)

Foosimoo
10-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Meh, the AO never gets me as excited as the other slams but I still can't wait to see if Ollie can get past his 3rd round curse. :p

Peta Pan
10-07-2006, 04:59 AM
yes! Less than 100 days to go! :D
Not that I wrote it in my organiser, or anything :eek: :o

:lol:

I think i'm looking forward to this one more than any time before because I'm staying in the city for it :yeah:

Should be the most fantastic 10 days :banana:

Yes I'm looking forward to it... it's January that I actually do have a life :p

Ferrero Forever
10-07-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm so happy right now, today I bought 2 vodafone arena tickets, and a quarter final ticket. I went 2 hours after they came out, and most of the tickets were sold, I couldn't believe it. I got the restricted viewing seat for the quarter final, but they're like the best seats, so i'm really hyped up.

Xristos
10-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Not excited at all. It's always the GS that gets the less attention...
You really are a loser...

CmonAussie
10-07-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm so happy right now, today I bought 2 vodafone arena tickets, and a quarter final ticket. I went 2 hours after they came out, and most of the tickets were sold, I couldn't believe it. I got the restricted viewing seat for the quarter final, but they're like the best seats, so i'm really hyped up.
:wavey:
The last time I went to AO was in 2004~~ and you couldn`t buy reserved seats to Vodafone Arena... since they were ground pass tickets;) ..then it was just a matter of patience to wait in the queue until we were allowed in:cool: ...The ground pass tickets cost around $25 AUS:angel:

As far as I knew the only tickets for the AO that you could reserve in advance were those for Rod Laver Arena;) ~~has that situation changed to include Vodafone Arena tickets too:confused: :confused:

Monteque
10-07-2006, 11:13 AM
For me AO is very balance tourny, with high tension because the court isnt too fast or too slow. I cant hold on longer :)

Monteque
10-07-2006, 11:13 AM
For me AO is very balance tourny, with high tension because the court isnt too fast or too slow. I cant hold on longer :)

Ferrero Forever
10-07-2006, 11:44 AM
The last time I went to AO was in 2004~~ and you couldn`t buy reserved seats to Vodafone Arena... since they were ground pass tickets;) ..then it was just a matter of patience to wait in the queue until we were allowed in:cool: ...The ground pass tickets cost around $25 AUS:angel:

As far as I knew the only tickets for the AO that you could reserve in advance were those for Rod Laver Arena;) ~~has that situation changed to include Vodafone Arena tickets too:confused: :confused:

Ground passes have gone up to $29, and yeah now you can reserve Vodafone arena tickets too. They're in the shade which could come in handy, they cost me $27 (concession). Australian Open is so damn awesome!!!

CmonAussie
10-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Ground passes have gone up to $29, and yeah now you can reserve Vodafone arena tickets too. They're in the shade which could come in handy, they cost me $27 (concession). Australian Open is so damn awesome!!!

:cool: Cheers~~ thanks mate;)

bad gambler
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Going to make the trip to Melbourne again someday CAussie? ;)

CmonAussie
10-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Going to make the trip to Melbourne again someday CAussie? ;)
Hey Mr.Bad mate:cool: ...Are you living in Melbourne?? I lived there most of my life & even went to the old stadium to see Pat Cash vs Stevan Edberg at the last AO final on grass (Kooyong 1987) as an school boy:angel: ...Those were the halcyon days;) ..

Anyway now I`m living in Sourthen Japan (Fukuoka) & I can`t get January off so my days of watching AO in person are over for the time being. However I do live quite close to Shanghai (only 1.5 hours by plane)~so I`m going to try & see the TMC sometime in the next couple of years:D

canbera
10-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Haas's days of doing well in Slams are over, lets say I don't expect 2 QFs and a SF like Davydenko has done. If he makes the 4th round, then that's a good showing.

I can see him doing well at the AO. during the off-season he's working a lot on his fitness, then he should start the year well in Doha and hope for a good Draw at the Australian. it's all up to him.

DrJules
10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
It usually produces the best matches and tennis at the 4 grand slams probably owing to the surface.

cmurray
10-07-2006, 04:55 PM
The AO is my favorite grand slam tournament. Some of the best matches I've ever seen have been played down under. So, yes....I'm really excited about it. :D

CmonAussie
10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
################
...............................For anyone interested below is a link to a clip of the 1988 AO men`s final (Mats Wilander v Pat Cash)~~ this was just after the new Rod Laver Arena had been built & the 1st year on hard court~ rebound ace, following the move from Kooyong Grass!!.......Coincidentally it was also the last time an Aussie Open final went the distance~~ 5-sets!!! Good viewing >>> assuming you like a bit of retro..!>!>??!#@@#

Here`s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTc5NlBEb-I

DrJules
10-07-2006, 09:47 PM
################
...............................For anyone interested below is a link to a clip of the 1988 AO men`s final (Mats Wilander v Pat Cash)~~ this was just after the new Rod Laver Arena had been built & the 1st year on hard court~ rebound ace, following the move from Kooyong Grass!!.......Coincidentally it was also the last time an Aussie Open final went the distance~~ 5-sets!!! Good viewing >>> assuming you like a bit of retro..!>!>??!#@@#

Here`s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTc5NlBEb-I

Amazing considering the number of incredible 5 set matches in earlier rounds the event produces.

Fedever
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I would be excited if I knew I was going to get to see it! :mad: But now with the exclusive agreement with The Tennis Channel to air the AO, I am totally upset!!:mad: :devil:
My cable co. does not offer The Tennis Channel!! So I will miss most of the tournament!!!!!!!!!!!

I have already sent an email to The Tennis Channel expressing my complaints that they do not offer it in so many areas. I have also asked my cable co. to make it available, but we will see.

I suggest anyone else who has this problem do the same as there is strength in numbers.

Also, if any of you are members of other tennis message boards please spread the word.

Totally bummed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :banghead:

CmonAussie
10-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Amazing considering the number of incredible 5 set matches in earlier rounds the event produces.
...............:wavey:
Yeah exactly~~ how many times have we seen epic QF & SF matches at AO only for the final to be somewhat anticlimatic:eek:
eg.
Agassi v Sampras at AO 2000 SF
Agassi v Rafter at AO 2001 SF
Safin v Haas at AO 2002 SF
Roddick v El Anui at AO 2003 QF
Safin v Roddick at AO 2004 SF
Safin v Agassi at AO 2004 SF
Federer v Safin at AO 2005 SF
Hewitt v Nadal at AO 2005 4rd
Hewitt v Nalbandian at AO 2005 QF
Federer v Haas at AO 2006 4rd
Baggy v Nalbandian at AO 2006 SF..........
...............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Somehow the final always ends up 3 or 4 sets though:eek:

World Beater
10-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Yeah exactly~~ how many times have we seen epic QF & SF matches at AO only for the final to be somewhat anticlimatic:eek:
eg.
...............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Somehow the final always ends up 3 or 4 sets though:eek:

usually because one opponent is dead tired and the other is relatively fresh.

DrJules
10-07-2006, 10:16 PM
eg.

Baggy v Ivan Lub. AO 2006 QF
Kiefer v Grosjean AO 2006 QF
both went 5 sets

Checho
10-07-2006, 11:31 PM
I´m too worried for the Davis Cup final to think about the Australian Open. Besides the AO is played very late at night here in Argentina.

My favourite Grand Slam by far is Roland Garros, so please, Can somebody kill Nadal??

Jimnik
10-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Exactly. This has now happened for the last three years in a row.

But I'd like to think that the AO is due a 5-set final. I bet a Fed-Rafa final would go to 5 sets.

cmurray
10-08-2006, 02:35 AM

But I'd like to think that the AO is due a 5-set final. I bet a Fed-Rafa final would go to 5 sets.

My God. The idea has me positively salivating. A 5 setter between Rafi and Rogi at my favorite tournament??? it's almost enough to have me cheering for Roger. Almost. ;)

I'm also looking forward to MC.

leng jai
10-08-2006, 03:10 AM
Yep. Rafa Vs Fedex final at night. TV Ratings bonanza

Kat!
10-08-2006, 03:21 AM
Having not set foot (mouse click or whatever!) at MTF for almost 2 weeks I'd say I'm not all that excited about AO :lol: but once the entry lists come out for January.......... I might be quite the opposite! :devil:

World Beater
10-08-2006, 05:07 AM

i would be very impressed if rafa did get to the final because of the number of players that could potentially beat him. barring injuries and withdrawals, this could be one of the most hotly contested gs in a while. There are many dangerous floaters that on a good day could cause serious damage...we will have to wait for the draw to assess their chances.

so its i think pretty early to say whether we will have a rafa/fedex final.

safin's standard is really picking up of late and he seems to produce his best in this slam. Nalbandian, djokovic, gasquet and murray will def be ones to watch...esp the young guns...if any of them use the off-season properly. watch out !!!

Action Jackson
10-08-2006, 07:25 AM
I can see him doing well at the AO. during the off-season he's working a lot on his fitness, then he should start the year well in Doha and hope for a good Draw at the Australian. it's all up to him.

He has had his time in the sun.

Action Jackson
10-08-2006, 07:28 AM

Well they have a huge gap betweeen the semis and the final now and that shouldn't be a factor, but it's more mentally tired than anything else. Well Safin in 2004 played plenty of sets to make the final.

Action Jackson
10-08-2006, 07:29 AM
eg.

Most of the really good 5 setters are on outside courts away from the TV cameras.