Wow! Federer barely beats Suzuki 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wow! Federer barely beats Suzuki 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(3)

Ariadne
10-06-2006, 07:32 AM
This Suzuki fella is pretty gutsy, gave Roger a heck of a fight during the Aus open as well. All's well that ends well I suppose, but it was touch and go there for a while. But Roger can live to blog another day. :cool:

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Who is this Suziki guy and how did he play this well against Federer? Did anyone see the match and could they tell everyone how each man played.

Congrats on a great fight Suzuki. :worship:

Adler
10-06-2006, 07:34 AM
I didn't see the match, but according to the result it was pretty close. What happened? Was the toilet not warm enough? :D

Art&Soul
10-06-2006, 07:36 AM
ROGI ;) And the blog goes on...:cool:

CmonAussie
10-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Who is this Suziki guy and how did he play this well against Federer? Did anyone see the match and could they tell everyone how each man played.

Congrats on a great fight Suzuki. :worship:
:wavey:
It`s simple ~now that 2006 is essentially over for Federer he`s just going through the motions to prepare for 2007;) .....He`s already won 3/4 Slams this year:worship: secured #1 again:worship: & now he comes to Japan for the 1st time & faces a local who threw the tatami mat at him:eek: ....On his day Suzuki is a very handy player........Thing is Roger can afford to have off days even when his season is essentially over & he`ll still find a way to win;)

Adler
10-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Can someone tell me : did Suzuki have any MPs in this match?

Corey Feldman
10-06-2006, 07:44 AM
same patterns as the last few months with Fed.... at the slams and DC best of 5 matches he plays awesome, in the smalle events against lesser players he brainfarts through ..... Halle, Toronto, Cinci, Tokyo.
cut this out fed :p

peripheral
10-06-2006, 07:48 AM

No :)

sunsfuns
10-06-2006, 07:49 AM

No. In fact Suzuki didn't have any breakpoints on Roger's serve after the first set. For some reason Roger had major difficulty in retrieving Suzuki's serve...

DrJules
10-06-2006, 07:50 AM
It seems to have been a serve dominated match with Suzuki having no break points in 2nd and 3rd sets. In fact only 2 serve breaks in match. I think both had first serve % over 70%.

Fed-Express
10-06-2006, 07:55 AM
When they played at AO 2005 Suzuki was giving Roger soem trouble too. He did not win a set, but he forced Roger to play some awesome tennis. Who knows, maybe he just likes to lpay Roger.

Corey Feldman
10-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Johnny Mac woulda loved this match... he is always saying about guys serving and volleying and 'going after federer'

but credit to Suzuki from me, fair do's.

leng jai
10-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Takao you bloody legend :D

Adler
10-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Japanese player plays serve'n'volley? whoa! :D

Fed-Express
10-06-2006, 08:03 AM
He did the same in 2005, relentlessly attacking Roger. Kudos, most players don't have the balls to do that ;)

Bremen
10-06-2006, 08:17 AM
The atp website says this guy's ranking is in the 1000s???????? How did he play fed so well? Fed has to be off his game a little, don't you think?

CmonAussie
10-06-2006, 08:18 AM
:eek: 貴男君! フェデラーに負けたけど本当にがんばりましたな! :hearts:

ロジャー〜 お前、さすがですね〜! :o
:wavey:
鈴木選手は凄い頑張ったですね:worship: 。。思ったより彼は根性的なプレーヤだ:devil: 。。。今日はフェデラ絶好調じゃなかったのにさすが結局にテニスの王様いつも通り勝った :cool:

Flibbertigibbet
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Suzuki apparently had a shoulder injury in Australia this year, and this is his comeback tournament - some comeback!

Nando_L
10-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Rogeeeeeeeerrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D
:woohoo: :woohoo:
:bounce:

Nando_L
10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Roger!!!!!!!!!!!
:bounce:

Polikarpov
10-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Their match in AO a few years ago was very entertaining. Suzuki also gave Federer some problems there.

hitchhiker
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
to bad the tour lacks more serve-volleyers to push federer like this

landoud
10-06-2006, 09:17 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I only know

ATP Race New Record : 1346

dkw
10-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Must be all the blogging...

disturb3d
10-06-2006, 09:24 AM
to bad the tour lacks more serve-volleyers to push federer like thisAll of Federer's defeats in the past 3 years have been at the hands of baseliners.
Nadal, Kuerten, Nalbandian, Berdych, Murray, Gasquet, Hrbaty.

And his close calls; Ferrero, Ginepri, Ljubicic, Haas.

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 09:26 AM
All of Federer's defeats in the past 3 years have been at the hands of baseliners.

Beside Nadal, 1 guy has confidence to beat Federer - he is Rafter! :)

hitchhiker
10-06-2006, 09:45 AM
All of Federer's defeats in the past 3 years have been at the hands of baseliners.

maybe thats because he is playing baseliners 99% of the time?

its.like.that
10-06-2006, 10:03 AM
A win is a win and that is all that matters.

RonE
10-06-2006, 10:15 AM
He did the same in 2005, relentlessly attacking Roger.

Exactly. To those who saw that 2005 AO match it should not have been a surprise at all that this would be incredibly tough for Roger. Add to that the home crowd support factor and the faster surface and it was bound to be a struggle going down to the wire :shrug:

Well played by both players :hatoff:

~EMiLiTA~
10-06-2006, 10:16 AM
he obviously played even better here than he did at AO 2005...i was impressed by him there...but this scoreline is amazing :yeah:

Adler
10-06-2006, 10:17 AM
that's the point

TheMightyFed
10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Beside Nadal, 1 guy has confidence to beat Federer - he is Rafter! :)

Yeah I think Rafter would have been a bad matchup for Fed had they played their best tennis at the same time. Fed needs two-three shots to settle his game. With an awesome volley you can prevent him form playing his game. Other options: blast him out of the court like Safin, or hit with huge topspin in his BH like Nadal.

Jade Fox
10-06-2006, 10:31 AM

True. I mean even though this Suzuki guy gave Roger a hard time, he still lost. I definitely don't expect Roger to steamroll all of his opponents who are not named Rafael Nadal.

chewy
10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
congrats fed in new record.:)
Suzuki perform great for his home crowd:worship:

the japanese fans were the winners

nobama
10-06-2006, 11:37 AM
True. I mean even though this Suzuki guy gave Roger a hard time, he still lost. I definitely don't expect Roger to steamroll all of his opponents who are not named Rafael Nadal.
If everyone played like the great Suzuki Roger would never win a match again.;)

Jade Fox
10-06-2006, 11:42 AM
If everyone played like the great Suzuki Roger would never win a match again.;)

I know. The poor thing, it must eat him up inside, hence the nightmares.:devil: :p

WF4EVER
10-06-2006, 11:45 AM
same patterns as the last few months with Fed.... at the slams and DC best of 5 matches he plays awesome, in the smalle events against lesser players he brainfarts through ..... Halle, Toronto, Cinci, Tokyo.
cut this out fed :p

Considering how well Suzuki has played this tournamnet I consider this assessment to be nothing but bullshit. Federer is never on a tennis court by himself. At least try to give the other player some credit. After all it's not like it's the first time he's pushed Roger.

Well done, Takao. Lucky you, Feds. I was afraid I'd get up this morning and hear you'd lost this match.

Deivid23
10-06-2006, 12:12 PM
One hell of a game that was, Suzuki played a sick match and Federer had to come up with his best shots to overcome him

CmonAussie
10-06-2006, 12:26 PM
############

Stylish Swiss sips surplus sake in Shibuya~~ sets scene for stunning stoush with sensational Suzuki. Some saw Ninja`strokes as scrapy, still serene standard sufaced at six-six when serving for set. Some say serve & strike un-stabilised steady Swiss ship! So surprising stat showed Samurai inSpired Suzuki shouldn`t suggest such superfluous b-shit~ such as saki spelt inSensitively! ........................SAVY..??..#@@#.

Blue Heart24
10-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Takao :sad: but wonderful week :worship:

Yappa
10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
One hell of a game that was, Suzuki played a sick match and Federer had to come up with his best shots to overcome him

How do you know that? Did you see the match? If yes, where?

feuselino
10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
phew, that was close! Great match from Suzuki, I guess... but Roger won in the end, as usual... :)

Did anyone see the game? How did the crowd behave? Like in Paris or in New York?? Must have been exciting to have your countryman pushing the world number one...

Frooty_Bazooty
10-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I saw the suzuki - federer match at AO'05 and when Suzuki gets hot he's amazing. he was really really unlucky not to have taken a set off Fed at t AO so im glad he did it in Japan :bigclap:

nobama
10-06-2006, 02:12 PM
TOKYO (AP) — Top-ranked Roger Federer rallied from a shaky start to beat Japan's Takao Suzuki 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) on Friday and advance to the Japan Open semifinals.

Struggling with his return, Federer dropped the first set to Suzuki, who recently recovered from a shoulder injury and is playing in his first ATP tournament since the Australian Open in January.

"It was a difficult match and I was afraid I might lose it," Federer said. "He mixed up his serves well and hit all the corners. I got a bit of luck here and there in the third set, which helped."

Federer, who had 13 aces, finally found his rhythm in the second set and broke Suzuki for the first time in the final game after being down 30-love.

Suzuki, ranked 1,078th in the world, kept pace with Federer in the third set, holding serve in the 12th game to force the tiebreaker.

"Not returning more of his serves was the only part of my game today that I maybe wasn't happy with," Federer said. "But that had a lot to do with my opponent and how well he hit the ball."

Even though he lost, Suzuki said he was pleased with his performance.

"I felt really good playing the world No. 1 on center court," Suzuki said. "I didn't really have a game plan, I just got caught up in the moment and am happy I played so well today."

Federer, playing in his first tournament since winning the U.S. Open last month, has been inconsistent in his Japan debut.

The Swiss star struggled through his opening match against qualifier Viktor Troicki before returning to form in the third round Thursday with a convincing 6-2, 6-1 win over defending champion Wesley Moodie.

Dexter_1986
10-06-2006, 02:17 PM
phew!

Corey Feldman
10-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Considering how well Suzuki has played this tournamnet I consider this assessment to be nothing but bullshit. Federer is never on a tennis court by himself. At least try to give the other player some credit. After all it's not like it's the first time he's pushed Roger.

Well done, Takao. Lucky you, Feds. I was afraid I'd get up this morning and hear you'd lost this match.well considering you never seen the match so can say either way i think you need to STFU once and for all you stupid dickwod.

nobama
10-06-2006, 02:25 PM
well considering you never seen the match so can say either way i think you need to STFU once and for all you stupid dickwod.I'm assuming you didn't see the match either? Read my post above with comments from Roger. Sounds to me like he was just pushed by an opponent was playing well and putting on a show for the home town crowd. Gotta give the guy props for pushing #1 to a third set tb.

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Fedo has won his three GS this year. If he wins every match in Tokyo 7-6 final set, I don't think it will unduly bother him. Even great players can be vulnerable in best of three set matches and he still got the W.

Experimentee
10-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Well done Takao :yeah:
No surprise he pushed Roger after their last match, he relishes the challenge of playing a great player like Federer and is not intimidated at all. His game is very entertaining to watch and hopefully he gets his ranking back up there.

RonE
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
phew, that was close! Great match from Suzuki, I guess... but Roger won in the end, as usual... :)

Did anyone see the game? How did the crowd behave? Like in Paris or in New York?? Must have been exciting to have your countryman pushing the world number one...

I did not see the match but speaking from my own personal experience I would think the Tokyo crowd would be much more calm and well mannered than their Parisian and New Yorker counterparts ;)

Fergie
10-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Roger :scared:

NYCtennisfan
10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Although this was close to a loss, Federer's serve game wasn't really challenged outside of the first set. I think he lost 19 points on serve in 17 serve games and a TB. I think Fed will take that as a positive and move on. I would love to see torrent of this match!

sawan66278
10-06-2006, 04:34 PM
It's like I have said in the past...Roger would have real problems with attacking serve and volley players...who can actually volley!!!! Like Stefan and Rafter...it's just so hard to hit pass after pass after pass...if the serve and volley player only wins about 60% of the points at net, he probably wins the match...Ask Lendl, who I feel had the best passing shots ever, how he felt playing Edberg...I think he had a losing record against him!!!!

Roger would still be #1, but he would have a few more losses to his name, particularly on the faster surfaces like grass and hardcourts!!

tennisgal_001
10-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Phew, that was as close as it gets. Suzuki put on quite a show, and as usual, experience and cool nerves won the match.

Goonergal
10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I thought Fed had played this guy before when I saw the name this morning. I remember watching their match at AO, and it was great. Looks like another great match here. Obviously Fed brings out the best in Suzuki.

morningglory
10-06-2006, 05:49 PM
:eek: *faints*

DrJules
10-06-2006, 07:02 PM
It's like I have said in the past...Roger would have real problems with attacking serve and volley players...who can actually volley!!!! Like Stefan and Rafter...it's just so hard to hit pass after pass after pass...if the serve and volley player only wins about 60% of the points at net, he probably wins the match...Ask Lendl, who I feel had the best passing shots ever, how he felt playing Edberg...I think he had a losing record against him!!!!

Roger would still be #1, but he would have a few more losses to his name, particularly on the faster surfaces like grass and hardcourts!!

Lendl was not the best mover on a tennis court.

Edberg ended with a 14-13 lead which resulted from winning their last 4 matches.

MisterQ
10-06-2006, 07:17 PM
"I felt really good playing the world No. 1 on center court," Suzuki said. "I didn't really have a game plan, I just got caught up in the moment and am happy I played so well today."

I love this quote! :rolls: Maybe the top players need to plan less and wing it more. ;)

MarcelaTauro
10-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Roger :tape: :o

Good Luck

GlennMirnyi
10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I love this quote! :rolls: Maybe the top players need to plan less and wing it more. ;)

Never heard of some experient player something like this: "I missed that because I gave it more thought than I should have"? That's very usual, to miss a simple ball because you thought too much. Sometimes it's better to just go for it.

MisterQ
10-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Never heard of some experient player something like this: "I missed that because I gave it more thought than I should have"? That's very usual, to miss a simple ball because you thought too much. Sometimes it's better to just go for it.

Thinking too much before a given stroke is a common error. But in the larger strategic picture, I think most players like to have a game plan when they go out on court.

Deivid23
10-06-2006, 07:51 PM
How do you know that? Did you see the match? If yes, where?

No, I imagined it :rolleyes:

Teledeporte (Astra) showed it delayed early in the morning

World Beater
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM

:haha:

do you even know how many times pete had to play tiebreaks in order to beat no-name players who didnt necessarily play serve-volley...so roger has to play two matches with tb's this week and suddenly the net rushers would have so much success against him...i dont doubt that rafter would have had success against roger, but he is among the elite in terms of s/v style...even better than sampras and edberg in my book. so roger having trouble against agassi or rafter is really no big discovery...they are two of the best at their respective styles.

also, people seem to expect that roger will play the same way against a net rusher than he does against a baseliner. Maybe roger would take away the net and serve-volley himself...rafter's return was nothing to be in awe of, and roger volleys well enough to do it against him.

also if you notice, fed wasnt challenged on his serve after the first set, and there were no break points...so the scoreline was close but deceptively so. roger is one of the best ever already because he has a game that can matchup well with almost any player in the world on any surface. Rafter. agassi and sampras had more bogeymen because they weren't as complete. this doesnt mean that they couldnt beat roger on a good day though.

wimbledonfan
10-06-2006, 09:11 PM
World Beater , I disagree with you .

Sampras was a complete player when he was # 1 ranked .

Please don't put down other players accomplishments .

World Beater
10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
World Beater , I disagree with you .

Sampras was a complete player when he was # 1 ranked .

Please don't put down other players accomplishments .

im not putting anyone's accomplishments down...did i say that pete was a lesser player? you dont have to be complete to be a great player. pete could have beaten roger with the weapons that he had.

sorry, but pete's bh was a liability...this is not sth i have said...this is sth that safin and andre have corroborated with...its you who lives with the ghost of sampras and keeps denying it.

of course its tough to be logical with someone who thinks that pete had the best bh dtl in history.

wimbledonfan
10-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Federers backhand can be a liability as well .

Face it Worldbeater , Pete and Roger are very much alike . There really isn't much seperating them in terms of tennis achievements and skill .

Seleshfan
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I hate to draw attention to the big Pink Elephant in this thread, but isn't it rather obvious that Federer went easy on Suzuki because the Japanese paid him a generous appearance fee? There is no way Federer would lose a set, AND be taken to a 3rd set tie-break to a guy that is ranked outside the top 1,000. However, a generously paid Federer, can afford to be a little generous on the court. This is very similar to what happened in Thailand with Paradorn. And spare me the "Suzuki played out of his mind," and Federer "couldn't handle Suzuki's serve" excuse. :haha:

NYCtennisfan
10-07-2006, 12:31 AM
It's amazing how much discussion can be generated about a Rd. of 16 match in a meaningless tournament after all the Slams have been played.

NYCtennisfan
10-07-2006, 12:34 AM

Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, this is all there is in sports. One can easily go through a list of title winners over the past years where they struggled somewhere along the line but nobody remembers because they eventually won the title. It seems to be a bigger deal with Federer since he is rarely taken to even a 3rd set in a best of 3 match.

World Beater
10-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Federers backhand can be a liability as well .

Face it Worldbeater , Pete and Roger are very much alike . There really isn't much seperating them in terms of tennis achievements and skill .

:haha:

nice try comparing pete and roger's bhs. i'm sorry but you need to open your eyes to see the difference between the two shots...any shot on any given day can be a liability, but for federer's bh, its not as big of a liability. its easy to see this by looking at pete's record on clay, and how he lost to demigods like schaller at RG even when he was still winning wimbledon....all they did was hit balls to pete's bh and watch him crumble. likewise i could make an argument that pete had a better serve, but for roger, it was rarely a liability even though it wasnt as good. He wont lose matches because of his serve...pete lost matches because of his bh a heck of a lot on clay. i don't know why we are having this discussion because even past great like agassi and mcenroe say that federer is much more complete. I will believe them over armchair experts.

federer losing to nadal is a whole different kettle of fish....i hope you can see this. Despite the similiarities, federer and sampras play very differently.

anyways, if it makes you feel better....keep resurrecting the ghost of sampras' past:wavey: because by the time fed is done breaking his records one by one, there may not be any spirit left:sad:

on a more serious note, i think it would be great if he could achieve even 3/4 what pete did. but even if he does, it doesnt mean they are equally complete or play similarly.

ServeAlready81
10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
This reminds me of their 2nd round AO match in 2005, very entertaining. Although I didn't see this one, I'm sure it was fun to watch.

wimbledonfan
10-07-2006, 01:46 AM
World Beater , you are nothing but a bias Federer fan . I happen to be a fan of both players and yet all you do is discredit one of the greatest players of all time .

How old are you btw ?

Go watch some footage on youtube when Pete was in his prime and tell me if his backhand was a liability .

On another note , even if Federer does break every tennis record , who's to say that it will last forever ?

Records are always meant to be broken and don't be surprised if another player accomplishes even more than Roger in the future .

Tennis players are more conscious of breaking records than they were in the past . I'm sure if Borg was aware of the significance of the slam record , then he probably would have stayed longer and crushed all the records .

World Beater
10-07-2006, 10:36 PM
World Beater , you are nothing but a bias Federer fan . I happen to be a fan of both players and yet all you do is discredit one of the greatest players of all time .

How old are you btw ?

Go watch some footage on youtube when Pete was in his prime and tell me if his backhand was a liability .

On another note , even if Federer does break every tennis record , who's to say that it will last forever ?

Records are always meant to be broken and don't be surprised if another player accomplishes even more than Roger in the future .

Tennis players are more conscious of breaking records than they were in the past . I'm sure if Borg was aware of the significance of the slam record , then he probably would have stayed longer and crushed all the records .

i havent discredited anyone...you are the one who is blind.s..my views have been substantiated by other pro players...yours? listen i nowhere said that federer was a better player...you need read carefully because i was not serious about federer breaking every record. I just think that federer's bh is better than pete's and that he is more complete...i dont think i have said anything heretic. I also dont see what my age has anything to with this. I have seen both in their prime and i think federer has a better all round game.

YOU are the one who said pete had the best bh dtl in history...that my friend is the best statement of all and proves your objectivity. Pete's bh is nowhere in discussion of greatest bh's of all time. Second i was responding to sawan, not you. Sawan is known to belittle federer's achievements from time to time and i was having a go at him. Its not a surprise that when someone questions pete's game, i see you come to defend his honor, but when sawan or others have a go at fed, you are nowhere to be found.

also i dont see what borg or anyone else has to w/ this discussion. You are trying to bring up irrelevant things.

youtube obviously showcases only the high points of one's career...there have been many instances where pete's bh has failed him...so watching youtube is really a
pretty pathetic sample size as it is clearly biased. i have seen enough sampras matches on clay to know how good his backhand is.

just for you, since you keep denying the obvious and trying to bring up my age, which shows you have nothing left to offer. marat below is basically echoing what im saying that roger is more complete but that doesnt diminish pete at all. He is still good enough with the serve and volley to beat fed.

Q. Can you compare him to Pete Sampras?
MARAT SAFIN: No. It's a little bit different story. Yeah, they have some kind of same things. But I think Federer, he has better -- he a little bit -- I don't want to take anything from Pete. I mean, mentally, he was the strongest player on the tour. He has the biggest serve in the world. He has an unbelievable forehand and very good hands in the volley. But sometimes he was missing a little bit the backhand.
So Roger, he has -- he has everything and a backhand. Probably he doesn't have enough volley like Pete Sampras. But he is really good. I mean, he can volley. It's a little bit different story.
But Pete, as you can see, he won 14 Grand Slams. And he has a really good -- he was really, really tough.

Allez
06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Suzuki was ranked outside the top 1000 at the time :facepalm: I think we can all agree Goffin > Suzuki AND JesFed > Olderer...so who knows what will happen in Fed's next match @ RG 2012 :shrug: