How come there are very few Green Clay tournaments in the ATP tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How come there are very few Green Clay tournaments in the ATP tour?

Pfloyd
10-06-2006, 04:36 AM
I've always asked my self this question. Why dont they have a few tournament on green clay, maybe even a TMS. It would be slower than hard court but faster than normal clay, it would be a cool substitute for the other surfaces and its a nice change overall...

So, why dont they have more green clay tournies?

vogus
10-06-2006, 04:42 AM
I've always asked my self this question. Why dont they have a few tournament on green clay, maybe even a TMS. It would be slower than hard court but faster than normal clay, it would be a cool substitute for the other surfaces and its a nice change overall...

there used to be Indianopolis and Boston on green clay in the summer.

Green clay is a surface that gets no love though. The hardcourt/grass people hate it, and the purist claycourt snobs also hate it. So it doesn't have very many advocates, although it's the dominant surface in use at tennis clubs in the United States...

Pfloyd
10-06-2006, 04:56 AM
But Green clay tournies could be good as a sort of transition between hard court a "real" clay for americans...it could be a good idea to have a few more of these tournaments.

LaTenista
10-06-2006, 04:58 AM
I think Amelia Island (WTA) is green clay.

Action Jackson
10-06-2006, 05:05 AM
But Green clay tournies could be good as a sort of transition between hard court a "real" clay for americans...it could be a good idea to have a few more of these tournaments.

Here is a short version. You know how Europe has these summer clay events? The US Open used to be on green clay, and there were parallel events, so that meant Indy, Boston, Washington and many of the lead up events were on green clay, then when the US Open changed to Decoturf, then these older events then changed the surface.

I don't miss the surface, but it's a whole lot better than synthetic grass.

njnetswill
10-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Amelia Island and Charleston are the only Green Clay events I believe, and both are on the WTA Tour. No idea why the women have green clay events but men don't.

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 11:13 AM

Green Clay courts are always used in USA.

But US players like to play fast surfaces.

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Speed:

Red Clay < Green Clay < Hard Court < Carpet < Grass

Saumon
10-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Amelia Island and Charleston are the only Green Clay events I believe, and both are on the WTA Tour. No idea why the women have green clay events but men don't.
there was a green clay tournament a few years ago. I think Roddick even won it. :scratch:

Agassi Aces
10-06-2006, 11:55 AM
There were Green Clay events in Atlanta and Houston. Houston used to be Green Clay, but now has the European red clay.

supersexynadal
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
because green clay is for american players who psychologicaly fear the red brick color that they never win on so green makes it better i guess :P

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
because green clay i for american player who psychologicaly fear the red brick color that they never win on so yea....

It is wonderful that Jimmy Connors won much more clay tournaments, but all are on green clay in USA. :angel:

GRASS
CLAY
OUTDOOR HARD/CARPET
INDOOR HARD/CARPET

Jimmy Connors: 105 ATP titles

1972 (5) - Queens, Columbus, Cincinnati, Albany, Jacksonville

1973 (11) - Baltimore, Roanoke, Salt Lake City, Salisbury, Hampton, Paramus,, Boston, Columbus, Quebec, L.A., Johannesburg

1974 (14) - Australian Open, Roanoke, Little Rock, Birmingham, Salisbury, Hampton, Salt Lake City, Tempe, Wimbledon, Indianapolis, US Open, L.A., London, Johannesburg

1975 (9) - Bahamas, Birmingham, Salisbury, Boca Raton, Hampton, Denver WCT, North Conway, Bermuda, Maui

1976 (12) - Birmingham, Philadelphia WCT, Hampton, Palm Springs, Denver WCT, Las Vegas, Washington, North Conway, Indianapolis, US Open, Cologne, Wembley

1977 (7) - Birmingham WCT, St. Louis WCT, Las Vegas, Dallas WCT, Maui, Sydney Indoor, Masters

1978 (10) - Philadelphia WCT, Denver, Memphis, Rotterdam WTC, Birmingham, Washington, Indianapolis, Stowe, US Open, Sydney Indoor

1979 (7) - Birmingham, Philadelphia, Memphis, Tulsa, Indianapolis, Stowe, Hong Kong

1980 (6) - Birmingham, Philadelphia, Dallas WCT, North Conway, Republic Of China, Tokyo Indoor

1981 (4) - La Quinta, Brussels, Rotterdam, Wembley

1982 (7) - Monterrey, L.A., Las Vegas, Queens, Wimbledon, Columbus, US Open

1983 (4) - Memphis, Las Vegas, Queens, US Open

1984 (5) - Memphis, La Quinta, Boca West, L.A., Tokyo Indoor

1988 (2) - Washington, Toulouse

1989 (2)- Toulouse, Tel Aviv

supersexynadal
10-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Wasnt living at that time but interest fact:D Maybe andy roddick would aruguably be "greatest player ever" if he follows the same pattern if all clay tournaments were on green clay

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Wasnt living at that time but interest fact:D Maybe andy roddick would aruguably be "greatest player ever" if he follows the same pattern if all clay tournaments were on green clay

But there are few green clay tournaments. :o

Socket
10-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Green clay (HarTru) was really developed more for amateur and club players who needed a surface that was easier on their bodies than hardcourts and whose clubs wanted a surface that was easier to maintain than grass or European red clay. I would speculate that it's used in pro events now only because it's so prevalent in places like Florida.

www.hartru.com

DrJules
10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Green clay (HarTru) was really developed more for amateur and club players who needed a surface that was easier on their bodies than hardcourts and whose clubs wanted a surface that was easier to maintain than grass or European red clay. I would speculate that it's used in pro events now only because it's so prevalent in places like Florida.

www.hartru.com

Considering the number of player injuries I am surprised that it is not used for more events.

NYCtennisfan
10-07-2006, 12:40 AM
It can be a fun surface to watch a match on since you get some nice exchanges from the baseline, but a player can also attack and hit winners.

its.like.that
10-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Because green is an ugly colour.

GlennMirnyi
10-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Speed:

Red Clay < Green Clay < Hard Court < Carpet < Grass

NO IDEA ABOUT TENNIS!!!

Carpet is faster than grass. The difference is that grass bounces in a different way.

JW10S
10-07-2006, 04:44 AM
Green Clay is found primarily in North America. North Americans in general do not perform well on clay be it green or red, thus you see very few events on Green Clay.