Masters Cup to leave Shanghai after 2008 - Probably for Europe [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Masters Cup to leave Shanghai after 2008 - Probably for Europe

Castafiore
10-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Maybe this is old news for some but:

Masters Cup to Leave Shanghai After 2008, Probably for Europe

By Ravi Ubha and Richard Jordan

Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- The Masters Cup, which showcases the world's top tennis players in the richest tournament outside a Grand Slam, will leave Shanghai after 2008 and probably return to Europe.

London and Paris are among more than half a dozen cities vying to host the season-ending event when the tour's four-year contract with Shanghai expires, men's tour Chairman Etienne de Villiers said.

``It's essential we bring it back to Europe,'' De Villiers said in an interview. ``In the past, by necessity rather than by design, we've gone to cities where the check has been good and it hasn't necessarily been the right city for the sport.'' He didn't disclose financial details.

David Nalbandian came back from a two-set deficit to defeat top-ranked Roger Federer in the 2005 final last November. The 4 1/2 hour match finished in the early afternoon in most of Europe and early morning in the U.S.

Moving it to Europe or ``European-related'' time zones would boost its popularity, De Villiers added. The last time the tournament, which offers prize money of $3.7 million this year, was held in Europe was in Lisbon six years ago. Sydney, Shanghai and Houston followed before a return to China.

``When you explain to (European fans) that we have this tournament, they say it's fantastic,'' De Villiers said. ``They say, `Why don't we get to see it.' We say `Yes you do, but you don't know about it because it's a lousy time and we haven't done a great job marketing it.'''

Two-Week Tournament

London has never hosted the year-end singles competition, while Paris was the venue in 1971. Madrid, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Prague, Doha and Dubai have also expressed an interest, De Villiers said.

Shanghai may hold a two-week tournament combining the men's and women's tours when the Masters Cup exits, according to De Villiers.

Last year's event at the purpose-built $200 million Qi Zhong tennis center was marred by the withdrawals of Rafael Nadal, Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick and Marat Safin. Federer only just returned from injury.

The eight players who have amassed the most points in the calendar year qualify.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aJEM7SNJoCJw&refer=europe

feuselino
10-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Too bad. Such a nice stadium...
But what about this two-week tournament? Do they mean 1st week men, 2nd week women (or vice versa), or both at the same time over a stretch of two weeks, like a Grand Slam? I wonder when they want to play it... it is already a full calendar as it is... and would it be an AMS?

Regarding Europe: I like the fact that Tennis is spread around the world, and to be honest, Europe has already a lot of tournaments... and especially Paris already has a GS and an AMS... London has Wimbledon and the 2012 Olympics... so they should give it to some other country. My favourite would be Prague - Eastern Europe, yeah! :)

Hendu
10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Regarding Europe: I like the fact that Tennis is spread around the world, and to be honest, Europe has already a lot of tournaments... and especially Paris already has a GS and an AMS... London has Wimbledon and the 2012 Olympics... so they should give it to some other country. My favourite would be Prague - Eastern Europe, yeah! :)

Eastern Europe is still Europe... They should bring it to South America. ;)

feuselino
10-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Of course, of course! :) I just meant that IF it has to be Europe, then it should be in Eastern Europe...

But South America is also a great idea! They don't have any big tournaments...

Geniey2g
10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
In London?? :woohoo:

njorker
10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
And that is why I'm desperate to go to Shanghai either in 2007 or 2008 bcoz it would be the best chance to go to a tourney that's near my home country. (A tourney that has the top 8, actually.)

Neely
10-05-2006, 02:44 PM
They should bring it to South America. ;)
Agreed, South America could need such a tournament. I don't know how it could be arranged financially or if the South American market is interesting enough for the APT to hold it there, but they would need and deserve such a highlight on the tennis map.

TennisGrandSlam
10-05-2006, 02:44 PM

Quite good idea :)

~EMiLiTA~
10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Regarding Europe: I like the fact that Tennis is spread around the world, and to be honest, Europe has already a lot of tournaments... and especially Paris already has a GS and an AMS... London has Wimbledon and the 2012 Olympics... so they should give it to some other country.

totally agree

CmonAussie
10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I don`t mind if the TMC goes back to Europe just as long as Asia continues to progress in terms of getting big tennis tourneys! Certainly China should get a TMS/AMS type event [instead of Paris AMS perhaps?).. Especially with that new stadium they`ve built in Shanghai it would be a shame to waste it.

Also South America really should have a bigger tournament...Maybe they could hold a clay TMS there instead of Hamburg[~\~].Also they could rotate it around between Brazil, Argentina & Chile!!

Generally I want to see tennis in Asia & South America continue to grow... Although Dubai & Doha have the most money I hope they don`t nab the bigger tournaments because money shouldn`t be the only factor when determining tourney locations...

PS. Surely South Africa deserves to have an ATP tournament again sometime??!!!..

canbera
10-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, other countries besides France and England should get the Masters Cup.

Maybe the Netherlands or one of the Nordic countries, like Sweden or Finland should get it.

~*BGT*~
10-05-2006, 03:56 PM
New Orleans or Atlanta would be nice. :)

feuselino
10-05-2006, 04:21 PM
No way, the US has already 1 GS and 3 AMS tournies... and the last Masters Cup in Houston was a huge letdown... I think Lleyton and Roger played one match in front of a couple hundred of spectators because of the rain delay and everything...

No, Prague sounds just about right! :) Or Warsaw... but they don't have the right stadium for that I'm afraid...

Hendu
10-05-2006, 04:28 PM
No way, the US has already 1 GS and 3 AMS tournies... and the last Masters Cup in Houston was a huge letdown... I think Lleyton and Roger played one match in front of a couple hundred of spectators because of the rain delay and everything...

No, Prague sounds just about right! :) Or Warsaw... but they don't have the right stadium for that I'm afraid...

Buenos Aires ;)

It has a brand new 14500 seats stadium that will have a moving roof by then.

The stadium would be full, thats for sure.

Andre♥
10-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I have watched the Masters Cup in Lisbon and I wouldn't say no for a second time, but I have a new favorite place: Stuttgart

This surface where the WTA tour is playing this week looks very cool. It's a slow carpet, where the ball bounces high! The stadium looks very good and presentation of the players, with a video and no lights is incredible!

I vote for Stuttgart 2009!

Leo
10-05-2006, 04:36 PM
New Orleans or Atlanta would be nice. :)

You think New Orleans will be ready to host a tennis event in 2009? Why would it ever host a tennis event?

I like Prague.

Melvins
10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Lisboa 2009:crazy:

But I don't think so. No $$$$$$$$$$$$$.:rolleyes:

I hope that ATP don't sould Masters Cup more than 1 or 2 years in the same city. 4 yrs in Shangai?!??!:rolleyes:

Hendu
10-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I have watched the Masters Cup in Lisbon and I wouldn't say no for a second time, but I have a new favorite place: Stuttgart

This surface where the WTA tour is playing this week looks very cool. It's a slow carpet, where the ball bounces high! The stadium looks very good and presentation of the players, with a video and no lights is incredible!

I vote for Stuttgart 2009!

It can be played on that surface and have that kind of presentation of players in many other places.

Stuttgart has had a lot of tennis. I think its the time to give the Masters Cup to a city that hasn't had big tournaments.

If it can't be played in South America... then Prague sounds right. It doesn't have one of the big tournaments, has tennis history and I'm sure, lots of fans.

Melvins
10-05-2006, 04:50 PM
And if Shangai will be one of five mini-Grand Slam, this mean that Indian Wells it's over?

Miami (I don't believe they lost status)
Madrid
Shangai
+ 2 ...

AsianSensation
10-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Any place but Paris, they have two big tournaments already

Andre♥
10-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Madrid and Paris make no sense, because they already have a masters tournament.

The best part for a Masters Cup in Europe is the central part, because it is near for everybody. Germany, Czech Rep, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium, Austria and Poland would be good places.

CmonAussie
10-05-2006, 05:10 PM
And if Shangai will be one of five mini-Grand Slam, this mean that Indian Wells it's over?

Miami (I don't believe they lost status)
Madrid
Shangai
+ 2 ...
:wavey:
This is very interesting if you`re right;) .

Yeah I wonder if the ATP will cary through with their plans:confused:

Miami
Rome
Madrid
Shanghai
+ 1..............Brisbane (new mixed event), Monte Carlo (prettiest venue), Toronto/Montreal (sort of America), Paris (tradition), London (Queens becomes grass TMS), Buenos Aires (Sth America is due):confused: :confused:~~which one will it be???...

hanabishi
10-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Hmm.. if they're going to have it in Europe, my suggestions would be Madrid (given that Spain has the most guys in the top 100) or Moscow (for Eastern Europe to have a big tournament).

If its outside Europe, I'd like to be in Rio, Sao Paolo or Buenos Aires.

~*BGT*~
10-05-2006, 05:47 PM
You think New Orleans will be ready to host a tennis event in 2009? Why would it ever host a tennis event?

I like Prague.

Yes, I do. I live in baton Rouge, which is just about 60 miles away. The city is ready for big sporting events now. The Superdome would be perfect for it. They're having two huge tennis exhibitions this winter -- one with the Bryans and the other with the WS. Why wouldn't be ready?

Saumon
10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Any place but Paris, they have two big tournaments already

if it were in Paris it'd be in Bercy and I guess the other tournament would disapear, they'd not play there almost 2 week in a row :shrug: ;)

Melvins
10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
:wavey:
This is very interesting if you`re right;) .

Yeah I wonder if the ATP will cary through with their plans:confused:

Miami
Rome
Madrid
Shanghai
+ 1..............Brisbane (new mixed event), Monte Carlo (prettiest venue), Toronto/Montreal (sort of America), Paris (tradition), London (Queens becomes grass TMS), Buenos Aires (Sth America is due):confused: :confused:~~which one will it be???...

Rumors appointed to Madrid and, now, Shangai like new big tournaments. I don't think Miami lost big tournament status. So:

Miami - March
Madrid - possible clay
Sanghai - Feb/Mar or Out
"North America" - US Open Series
+ 1 - ? (Indian Wells? or other?)

This if Madrid and Shangai will come this big tournaments. Mini slams are tournaments with mens and womens competitions.

But all of this are rumours, but consistents rumours.;)

Whistleway
10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Miami - March
Madrid - possible clay
Sanghai - Feb/Mar or Out
"North America" - US Open Series
+ 1 - ? (Indian Wells? or other?)

yeah, i am sure they would keep 3 of the 5 Master series in US !!! ;)

propi
10-05-2006, 08:15 PM
If it's coming to Spain I hope it's other city beside Madrid or Barcelona, they already have big tournies... bring it to Príncipe Felipe pavillion in Zaragoza :p

GlennMirnyi
10-05-2006, 08:25 PM
South America no no no. Then it would be on clay and that's just absurd.

DrJules
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM

An outdoor clay court event probably does not make sense following the indoor season.

GlennMirnyi
10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
An outdoor clay court event probably does not make sense following the indoor season.

You can expect anything from that Villiers guy.

Hendu
10-05-2006, 08:35 PM

:confused:

It could be done on any surface. why clay?

GlennMirnyi
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
:confused:

It could be done on any surface. why clay?

That's a probability that doesn't exist in China, for instance, or the US. Just the thought of a TMC being on clay makes me shiver.

CooCooCachoo
10-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Amsterdam, Rotterdam, heck even Middelburg :angel:

Hendu
10-05-2006, 09:02 PM
That's a probability that doesn't exist in China, for instance, or the US. Just the thought of a TMC being on clay makes me shiver.

I guess you don't want it in France or Spain either. :shrug:

It was on hard in Sydney, in Lisbon, in Houston, and on carpet in Shanghai, I don't think there is a risk of playing on clay. Neither it would be played on grass.

Boris Franz Ecker
10-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Was an extremely stupid idea to move away from Frankfurt in the mid-90ies.
Houston...playing in the rain. What a nonsense.