1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

1977 Vilas vs 1977 Connors, who should be year-end NO.1?

TennisGrandSlam
10-05-2006, 02:48 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=87323

Vilas in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?query=Singles&year=1977&player=V028&selTournament=0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : F
Roland Garros : W
Wimbledon : R32
US Open : W
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : SF

Titles / Runners-up : 16 / 6
Win-Loss : 128-14 * (non-ATP source claims 145-14)
Year-End Ranking : 2

Connors in 1977

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?query=Singles&year=1977&player=C044&selTournament=0&prevtrnnum=0

Australian Open (Jan.) : DNP
Roland Garros : DNP
Wimbledon : F
US Open : F
Australian Open (Dec.) : DNP
Masters : W

Titles / Runners-up : 7/ 6
Win-Loss : 64-13
Year-End Ranking : 1

Dancing Hero
10-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Why not Borg included? I agree Vilas ahead of Connors but Borg ahead of both of them.

1977-

1.Borg
2.Vilas
3.Connors

:) :devil: :wavey:

TennisGrandSlam
10-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Why not Borg included? I agree Vilas ahead of Connors but Borg ahead of both of them.

1977-

1.Borg
2.Vilas
3.Connors

I think

Australian (Jan.) Finalist + Roland Garros Winner + US Open Winner > Wimbledon Winner > Wimbledon Finalist + US Open Finalist

Counting titles other than Grand Slam,

Vilas > Borg > Connors, so, result is obvious ......

Connors was so-called official NO.1, but Vilas's achievement showed that he could challenge over Connors' NO.1 honour.

Dancing Hero
10-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Borg 3-0 Vilas for the season, including a win in the semis of the Masters. Vilas lost in the final of Australia start of the year, to Tanner, and had a 3r defeat at Wimbledon. To Billy Martin.

Borg won 11 events that year himself, obviously more selective in his schedule than Vilas, didn't play as many soft tournaments.:)

Borg would have been a big favourite to beat Vilas at RG. Borg whooped Vilas in their clay court meetings just prior to RG. Borg missed RG due to World Team Tennis. Not Vilas' fault, he did what he had to do. Still doesn't take away that Borg was no.1 on clay and a clear favourite for RG.

Vilas never beat Borg in a GS event.

Vilas 'lucky' Borg missed RG in 77.

Borg superior all surface player to Vilas in 77 or any other year for that matter.

;)

Hendu
10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Borg would have been a big favourite to beat Vilas at RG. Borg whooped Vilas in their clay court meetings just prior to RG. Borg missed RG due to World Team Tennis. Not Vilas' fault, he did what he had to do. Still doesn't take away that Borg was no.1 on clay and a clear favourite for RG.

would have been, could have been, are irrelevant.

Borg was better than Vilas. But Vilas had the best results in 1977 and deserved to be the #1 in the ranking.

Vilas won 7 titles in a row (including the US Open, beating Connors in the final), then he decided to retire (and put an end to his record of consecutive wins) in the final of Aix en Provence, because of the weird racket Nastase was using (racket that was later forbidden), and then won 5 more titles in a row, to lose in the semifinal of the Masters against Borg... simply amazing.

Dancing Hero
10-05-2006, 09:18 PM

Borg was better than Vilas. But Vilas had the best results in 1977 and deserved to be the #1 in the ranking.

Vilas won 7 titles in a row (including the US Open, beating Connors in the final), then he decided to retire (and put an end to his record of consecutive wins) in the final of Aix en Provence, because of the weird racket Nastase was using (racket that was later forbidden), and then won 5 more titles in a row, to lose in the semifinal of the Masters against Borg... simply amazing.

Borg 3-0 Vilas. Wimbledon Champion. Beat Vilas in Nice and Monte Carlo and again in the Masters. Just because Vilas won 2 GS that year does not automatically make Vilas deserving of no.1. A row of 7 tournaments does not necessarily either. If Vilas chose to retire against Nastase, that was up to him as well, minor tournament towards the end of the season. Vilas may have been feeling some effects of too much tennis.

A very good run for Vilas in 77 and he was without doubt a very good/ great player. But still not no.1 in many people's minds. And the rankings said no as well.

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Borg 3-0 Vilas for the season, including a win in the semis of the Masters. Vilas lost in the final of Australia start of the year, to Tanner, and had a 3r defeat at Wimbledon. To Billy Martin.

Borg won 11 events that year himself, obviously more selective in his schedule than Vilas, didn't play as many soft tournaments.:)

Borg superior all surface player to Vilas in 77 or any other year for that matter.

;)

Nadal 4-1 Federer (all in Finals), but Federer is still NO.1 in 2006. :)

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Borg 3-0 Vilas. Wimbledon Champion. Beat Vilas in Nice and Monte Carlo and again in the Masters. Just because Vilas won 2 GS that year does not automatically make Vilas deserving of no.1. A row of 7 tournaments does not necessarily either. If Vilas chose to retire against Nastase, that was up to him as well, minor tournament towards the end of the season. Vilas may have been feeling some effects of too much tennis.

A very good run for Vilas in 77 and he was without doubt a very good/ great player. But still not no.1 in many people's minds. And the rankings said no as well.

Vilas was runner-up of grass-surface Australian Open-Jan. :)

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 08:56 AM

;)

Lendl also never beat Borg in a GS event

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Nadal 4-1 Federer (all in Finals), but Federer is still NO.1 in 2006. :)

Federer better all round player on other surfaces, not just clay.

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Vilas was runner-up of grass-surface Australian Open-Jan. :)

Exactly, he lost.

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Lendl also never beat Borg in a GS event

We're not talking about Lendl v Borg. Don't be bringing other people into the discussion.

:)

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Exactly, he lost.

Vilas showed that he can play well in grass.

Don't forget his 1978 and 1979 title :)

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Vilas showed that he can play well in grass.

Don't forget his 1978 and 1979 title :)

Yes, I know, Vilas could play on grass when he wanted, but the top players, Borg, Connors and others were absent. The Australian Open was a weak event in the late '70's. Have you seen the fields? Vilas was the only top 10 player to play the 1979 Australian Open.

Top 8 seeds 1979 Australian Open-

1.Vilas
2.Alexander
3.Amaya
4.Pfister
5.Taroczy
6.Sadri
7.Wilkison
8.Feigl.

No Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Gerulaitis, Tanner.

Really, a poor field for a GS.

The true test of grass court tennis then was Wimbledon, and Vilas had an average Wimbledon record for a good player.

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Yes, I know, Vilas could play on grass when he wanted, but the top players, Borg, Connors and others were absent. The Australian Open was a weak event in the late '70's. Have you seen the fields? Vilas was the only top 10 player to play the 1979 Australian Open.

1.Vilas
2.Alexander
3.Amaya
4.Pfister
5.Taroczy
6.Sadri
7.Wilkison
8.Feigl.

The true test of grass court tennis then was Wimbledon, and Vilas had an average Wimbledon record for a good player.

Borg, Connors and McEnroe playing didn't mean one of them must win.

Serve-and-Volleyer McEncore still lost to Claycourt Expert Baseliner Wilander in grass Australian Open.

At least Vilas entered 3 times of GS final (2 winners) in 1977 :cool:

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Borg, Connors and McEnroe playing didn't mean they must win.

Serve-and-Volley McEncore still lost to Baseliner Wilander in grass Australian Open.

At least Vilas entered 3 times of GS final (2 winners) in 1977 :cool:

Agree, maybe none of them would have won, but if Borg, Connors and McEnroe had played, the event would have had more credibility. Not even Tanner or Gerulaitis? Come on, Tennis Grand Slam. :D

One top 10 player in the event? The Australian Open in the late 70's/ early 80's was a significantly weaker event than the others and you know it really. Only you can't admit it now.

Vilas played well in 77, no dispute. Borg no.1 for me though.

Now, Wilander was a good player and beat better players than Vilas did to win his Australian Opens. The AO was stronger when Wilander won it.

:cool:

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Agree, maybe none of them would have won, but if Borg, Connors and McEnroe had played, the event would have had more credibility. Not even Tanner or Gerulaitis? Come on, Tennis Grand Slam. :D

One top 10 player in the event? The Australian Open in the late 70's/ early 80's was a significantly weaker event than the others and you know it really. Only you can't admit it now.

Now, Wilander was a good player and beat better players than Vilas did to win his Australian Opens. The AO was stronger when Wilander won it.

Borg's NO. 1 should be in 78-80.

77 belonged to Vilas :)

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Borg's NO. 1 should be in 78-80.

77 belonged to Vilas :)

Ha ha.

:) :wavey:

NyGeL
10-06-2006, 05:49 PM
with the current system, Vilas finished NO. 1 in '77. That's all we are discussing here... not who was the best.

There is no doubt that Borg and Connors were better than him.

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Give it a rest, Vilas was no.2 in 1977, get over it!

The current system? So what? That wasn't the system in 77, end of discussion.

Dancing Hero
10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
No doubts, Borg was better in 77.

Final word on the matter.

TennisGrandSlam
10-06-2006, 11:55 PM
No doubts, Borg was better in 77.

Final word on the matter.

No!

He did not play Australian Open and Roland Garros.

All absence Connors, Borg in Australian Open and Roland Garros, absence of JMac in Roland Garros were not related to Guillermo Vilas.

Especially somebody call Vilas so lucky to win because Borg's absence of RG.
But I can say that Borg played in 1977 =/=> he must win. Vilas won because of his good performance. He deserved to win it.

Ranking systems only counts the attendance and do not consider somebody's absence. :devil:

TennisGrandSlam
10-07-2006, 12:07 AM

The best result in Wimbledon of Wilander is 3 times QF.

Vilas had 2 times QF.

So, Vilas is not very bad, according to your logic.

Dancing Hero
10-07-2006, 10:29 AM
ATP Year End Rankings- No.1 Players

1974-1978 Jimmy Connors
1979-1980 Bjorn Borg
1981-1984 John McEnroe.

No Vilas! :)

:) :devil: :cool: :wavey: :angel:

TennisGrandSlam
10-07-2006, 04:44 PM

1974-1978 Jimmy Connors
1979-1980 Bjorn Borg
1981-1984 John McEnroe.

:) :devil: :cool: :wavey: :angel:

This is the black-box operation of American-dominated ATP. :rolleyes:

Dancing Hero
10-07-2006, 06:48 PM
This is the black-operation of American-dominatedcATP. :rolleyes:

Who was to blame, the CIA?

:) :devil: :cool:

Dancing Hero
10-07-2006, 06:49 PM
This is the black-operation of American-dominatedcATP. :rolleyes:

Who was to blame, the CIA? :) Or covert operations.

TennisGrandSlam
10-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Who was to blame, the CIA? :) Or covert operations.

:rolleyes:

American-dominated ATP should be blamed :mad:

The absentee will get zero mark for the subject (refers to Borg's absence of RG 1977)

NyGeL
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
we all know ATP sux, so who cares what they say.

ExcaliburII
10-22-2006, 12:01 PM
in all my life, i ve never seen such a colsed minded as dancing hero, pls man think a bit.

Dancing Hero
10-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Excalibur, please, YOU think a bit. It's only tennis chat, not to be taken TOO seriously. You people have no sense of humour and that's your problem.

Blaming the ATP, black box, Ameican domination? What kind of crap is this?

Vilas was no.2 in 1977. It's a long time ago. Get over it.

Santorofan
10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Tennis Grand Slam: In my eyes your arguement here has been the more reasonable one of the two (as evidenced by the poll results), but in my opinion you weakened it a bit by bringing in the "American-dominated ATP" thing into the loop. Yes, Vilas had the more impressive year in '77, that is clear (and that bloke Nastase should've been bared from using the "spagetti-strung" racket)...and "Dancing" although you made some interesting points, you no doubt turned off some by the negative nature of a few of your postings.

Dancing Hero
10-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Santorofan, thanks for the input, really. I'm only giving my opinion in a light hearted manner and don't really care what you think. No sense of humour with some people. :)

I don't agree that Vilas was no.1, though as I've previously indicated, he had a great year. Neither was Connors in my view. I rate Borg as no.1 for 77. I think Borg should have been included in the poll.

Connors was no.1 on the ATP computer and that's all that matters.:cool:

Hendu
10-23-2006, 08:15 PM
About Vilas and grass... he won the masters in 1974, in Australia.

RR Borg, Bjorn (SWE) 7-5 6-1
RR Newcombe, John (AUS) 6-4 7-6
RR Parun, Onny (NZL) 7-5 3-6 11-9
S Ramirez, Raul (MEX) 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-5
W Nastase, Ilie (ROM) 7-6 6-2 3-6 6-4

Give it a rest, Vilas was no.2 in 1977, get over it!

The current system? So what? That wasn't the system in 77, end of discussion.

1974-1978 Jimmy Connors
1979-1980 Bjorn Borg
1981-1984 John McEnroe.

Connors was no.1 on the ATP computer and that's all that matters.:cool:

If thats the case, then why are you claiming Borg was the best in 1977? :rolleyes:

You make no sense. Although your childish attitude towards this discussion is funny.

The ranking system was bad. Connors was the #1 in the rankings. Borg was by far the better player. Vilas had the best season.

TennisGrandSlam
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Vilas

* 16 titles including RG and USO
6 runners-up including AO
53 claycourt streak winning (ATP and unofficial matched)
* ATP 128-14, ATP+unofficial 145-14 (128 ATP Singles win)
* Winning ATP singles in 5 continents

* - 3 records cannot be broken now

I don't know why some people suspect his achievement in 1977. :rolleyes:

Boris Franz Ecker
10-25-2006, 06:48 AM
The ranking system was bad. Connors was the #1 in the rankings. Borg was by far the better player. Vilas had the best season.

Strange.. in other cases ranking points were the holy grale for you and the god-given authority for the importance of a title.

zanza67
10-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Strange.. in other cases ranking points were the holy grale for you and the god-given authority for the importance of a title.

agree....vilas was the best this year and borg was the best 1978 but the ranksystem so far was an advantage to american tournements and plenty of the tournements was played in the usa...thinks the rank system was on its best from 86-89 before the best 12/14....today its better but still an advantage to them who play many tours ex davydenko...the new ranksystem from 1990 did it hard for injured players like cash and for ex mcenroe who didnt play much tments...

TennisGrandSlam
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I see British is anti-Argentina :o

Dancing Hero
11-02-2006, 05:23 PM
About Vilas and grass... he won the masters in 1974, in Australia.

RR Borg, Bjorn (SWE) 7-5 6-1
RR Newcombe, John (AUS) 6-4 7-6
RR Parun, Onny (NZL) 7-5 3-6 11-9
S Ramirez, Raul (MEX) 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-5
W Nastase, Ilie (ROM) 7-6 6-2 3-6 6-4

If thats the case, then why are you claiming Borg was the best in 1977? :rolleyes:

You make no sense. Although your childish attitude towards this discussion is funny.

Vilas won the Masters. In 1974. Not 1977.:)

Connors no.1 in rankings.
Borg best player in 1977 in my view.
Vilas no.2.

Top 3 1977- in my view.
1.Borg
2.Vilas
3.Connors.:)

TennisGrandSlam
11-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Vilas won the Masters. In 1974. Not 1977.:)

Connors no.1 in rankings.
Borg best player in 1977 in my view.
Vilas no.2.

Top 3 1977- in my view.
1.Borg
2.Vilas
3.Connors.:)

Vilas should more ranking points :)

Borg, adsent form RG 1977, but not related to Vilas, ranking points still belonged to Vilas :rolleyes:

GVGirl1
08-13-2007, 04:34 PM
My parents have the old Tennis and World Tennis Magazines from that year and Borg was #1 in Tennis Magazine for the Year and Vilas was #1 in World Tennis magazine.

zanza67
08-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Of course Vilas is number one 1977. With modern ranking system he should be nr1 in the rankings too. The most tournements is USA was given high gp-points and a high percentage of all tours' was played in USA.

vaxjoplayer
08-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Vilas number 1 in 1977 for sure. Borg was probobly the better player in 77 but had to give up both the french and Us Open because of injury. Two slams for Vilas and he was clearly number 1.

Very strange rankingsystem. On the other hand Connors should have been number 1 in '82 winning both Wimbledon and Us Open. Mcenroe was no 1 without winning a slam!!!! And he only reached 1 GS final that year while Connors went to two GS finals in 77.

Kolya
08-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Only if there was the ATP Race back then.

Haile Selassie
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Vilas had a great year so far in 77. As somebody said before with modern ranking system he should be nr1 in the rankings

GVGirl1
02-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Vilas should have been #1!

HuaTuo
02-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Vilas

platinum
02-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Vilas....

<Blue>
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Vilas, thats for sure

Franco GF
02-05-2008, 09:28 PM
ATP calling !! justice for VILAS !! :)

GVGirl1
03-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Someone mentioned to me that Vilas asked the ATP to calculate if he would have been #1 based on todays ATP points. Anyone know if this is true?

Sgrii
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Vilas! He won a lot of consecutive matches in that year.. I think he was the best player of 1977

FiBeR
03-06-2008, 03:41 AM
no doubt vilas would have been n1 if ranking system would have been fair :shrug:

Moose Malloy
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM

;)

If, would... FACTS man, that's matters.

Moose Malloy
09-24-2008, 07:50 PM

Head to head don't count on ranking points LOL

Borg won 11 events? You count Pepsi Grand Slam, a 4 man event exo. Then Vilas won 17 that year, including Rye (exo) and the winning strak was 50 and not 46 (Rye included, again)

Moose Malloy
09-24-2008, 07:53 PM

1.Vilas
2.Alexander
3.Amaya
4.Pfister
5.Taroczy
6.Sadri
7.Wilkison
8.Feigl.

Not Vilas fault.

By the way, BORG = ZERO AUSSIE OPEN AND ZERO US OPEN.

Moose Malloy
09-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Bud Collins, World Tennis, Michel Sutter said Vilas was N° 1. Want more? In fact, Vilas wasn't N°1 in ranking cause he went to play Notthingham and Queens (grass) when he may won Brussels (on clay), but he choose to play on grass. The ranking system those years divide points / events played (not counting WCT events). So, bye. Then Muster was N° in 95, ha

trivfun
11-11-2008, 04:26 AM
At the end of the day, Vilas was No. 1 in 1977.

mgorganchian
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Vilas without a doubt.

DennisFitz
05-09-2009, 06:34 AM
I was a big Borg fan back in 1977. So at the time I thought he was #1. And I was glad when TENNIS magazine ranked him #1. World Tennis ranked Vilas #1.

I recently revisited 1977, and think that Vilas definitely deserved to be #1. It wasn't just quantity with Vilas. It was quality. He won 2 majors - the French and US Open. He was also the runner up at the Australian Open. Borg won Wimbledon and lost 4R in the US Open. Connors was RU at both Wimbledon and US Open and neither Borg or Connors played any of the other majors - and there were two Australian Opens in 1977.

Vilas was devastating on clay in 1977. Borg chose to play WTT, and thus be ineligible for the French. I think you have to base rankings and ratings based on what actually happened, not woulda, coulda, shouldas, or what ifs. Yes Borg was injured at the US Open. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

What's ridiculous is that the ATP rankings had Connors #1 in 1977. Even though he didn't win a major! And his Masters win came in Jan 1978. So sorry, but no way was Connors No. 1 in 1977. Vilas was the best player of 1977, followed by Borg, then Connors.