Greatest Rapper of all time? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Greatest Rapper of all time?

El Legenda
10-04-2006, 03:55 AM
I dont even like rap...mostly because of all the crap rappers today..all they rap bout is about bunch of bs :lol:

but i do like Tupac and Biggie (Notorious B.I.G)

Its shame both died at young age because of nothing....

Pac's best known song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTEe_D-SI8

Biggies best known song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6R6OkuT6xI

:wavey:

savesthedizzle
10-04-2006, 04:00 AM
I have to choose one over the other? :sad:

To be fair, when I conduct the iPod test, I have more Biggie on there than Tupac, so that's how I'll have to vote :p

Kristen
10-04-2006, 05:01 AM
BIG? I don't know. Rap annoys me. I see it as simply bad noise... and they can't speak or spell properly. Yo! Yo mama be da phattest biatch dis gangsta has seeeen. Yo!

Yeah. I have Il Divo on my iPod. It's obvious. :bolt:

NATAS81
10-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Still Ballin'

El Legenda
10-04-2006, 05:50 AM
BIG? I don't know. Rap annoys me. I see it as simply bad noise... and they can't speak or spell properly. Yo! Yo mama be da phattest biatch dis gangsta has seeeen. Yo!
Yeah. I have Il Divo on my iPod. It's obvious. :bolt:

yeah...thats today's rap..but not old school :)

liptea
10-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Jay-Z is SO SCARY!!!!

MariaV
10-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Vinnie Ice is clearly the greatest. :D

Nathaliia
10-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Biggie of course, not only between these two but in general... I think.

adee-gee
10-04-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't like rap, but I do like the odd rap song....

Tupac is the better of the 2....but the best rap song is Regulate by Warren G :yeah:

Washa Koroleva
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Busta Rhymes lol

alfonsojose
10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Sir Mix-A-Lot

partygirl
10-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I dont even like rap...mostly because of all the crap rappers today..all they rap bout is about bunch of bs :lol:

well i see "rap" as all that crap out there right now, with no real validity or musical influnece...its just promotion of a non-existant lifestyle.

Hip hop is what i prefer, to me true hip hop is storytelling & usually the telling of stories most people try to hide...tupac & biggie were both masters of this.

I choose Biggie because of his smooth flow plus he kept puff daddy's mouth shut and left him to producing the tracks & beats (which he is best at)
smooth flow and a killer beat:yeah::drool:

*although one of my favorite songs ever is "Are you still down"
featuring tupac.

i must also shout out snoop dogg becuase i rep the Westside:lol:
-for some reason he can say the most vile things and say it in a way where i'm just like....ok...that's snoop:p i'd call that talent.

Clashcityrocker
10-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Sir Mix-A-Lot

Yeah hahaha, the butt-man lol :devil:

El Legenda
10-04-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0BQiNUwE8

Tupac and Biggie Song.

GlennMirnyi
10-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Rap is the filth of the human scum. There's no such thing as "good" in a sentence that already has "rap".

shotgun
10-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Snoop Dogg

AgassiDomination
10-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Try listening to rap outside of the mainstream shit. You'll learn something.

Nathaliia
10-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Wu-Tang-Clan :music:

shotgun
10-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Try listening to rap outside of the mainstream shit. You'll learn something.

I don't like rap enough to explore the alternative scene.

AgassiDomination
10-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't like rap enough to explore the alternative scene.

I don't like mainstream rap at all. I prefer rock and a few rappers who actually rap about political issues.

El Legenda
10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech N9ne :rocker: non mainstream rapper that i like :)
http://www.therealtechn9ne.com/home/

Clashcityrocker
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Wu-Tang-Clan :music:

:worship:
first album is a classic, just like snoop's debut :)

flmmkrz
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
of the 2 mentioned I think I prefer Pac but biggie was great as well.

I lean towards Kweli and mos def and their brand of hip hop given the choice however

artlinkletter
10-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Both are great rappers, but BIG does it for me. Rap obviously isn't what it used to be, but there are some really good rappers out there. But like AD said, they just aren't mainstream. One of them is Immortal Technique. Listen to Dance with the Devil and you'll appreciate rap.

flmmkrz
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
One of them is Immortal Technique. Listen to Dance with the Devil and you'll appreciate rap.

fawk thats good, heavy but prolly one of the best rap singles i've heard in ages

El Legenda
10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
how bout the CEO of Hip hop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeCEBlz6pUw i like this commerical...

ANT0N!0
10-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Tupac Shakur. They were probably the 2 greatest rappers of all times, and I like them both, but I would say 2Pac. But they were both great, each one with his own style.

By the way, my favourite Tupac song is "Ghetto Gospel", and from Biggie I like many but I don't have a favourite one .. "Big Poppa", "Hypnotize", "Mo Money Mo Problems", etc. are very good songs in my opinion :yeah:

Fergie
10-05-2006, 01:30 AM
I prefer Tupac :)

Johnny Groove
10-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Rap is the filth of the human scum. There's no such thing as "good" in a sentence that already has "rap".

:rolleyes: something else we disagree about.

I agree that today's rap just isnt as good as old school. There are just too many of the same cookie cutter rapper out there today. But someone that i really have respect for and someone that kept it real and didnt sell out throughout his whole career is Eminem. I cant believe he wasnt even mentioned in this thread. If you ever listen to some of his songs really deeply you can see that the man is a genius and his music will carry on until the next, next, next generation and beyond.

"And maybe they'll admit it when we're gone, just let out spirits live on with the lyrics that you hear in our songs...." Sing For The Moment, #11, The Eminem Show, 2002

:worship:

artlinkletter
10-05-2006, 02:19 AM
By the way, my favourite Tupac song is "Ghetto Gospel", and from Biggie I like many but I don't have a favourite one .. "Big Poppa", "Hypnotize", "Mo Money Mo Problems", etc. are very good songs in my opinion :yeah:

Ghetto Gospel is a great song! One of my all time favourite rap lyric is "God isn't finished with me yet, I feel his hand on my brain. When I write rhymes, I go blind and let the Lord do his thing." As for Biggie, his best hit to me is Gimme the Loot, but his last few songs released with Puffy seem to be the most popular ones.

El Legenda
10-05-2006, 04:31 AM
:worship: Ghetto Gospel Tupac feat Elton John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsHkuWanobE&mode=related&search=

Clara Bow
10-05-2006, 06:20 AM
I'd also like to give a call out to old school.

I was in middle school when It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy and By All Means Necessary by Boggie Down Productions (that was KRS-One's group) came out and I still think they are fantastic. I also liked the trippier rap of De La Soul (Three Feet High and Rising really helped expand rap) and Diggable Planets that came out a bit later. And I was also a big fan of Tribe Called Quest.

I still actually like the rap "groups" the most I guess. Outkast's Stankonia is a favorite and I enjoy the Roots a lot- and have seen them live a few times (streatching from 1995 to this year) and they do put on a great show with good sound. I liked the Black Star album when it came out in the late 1990s and that has carried over as I like the solo work of Mos Def in the 2000s.

(I am a bit embarrased to admit that my favorite solo rapper when I was a kid was Kool Moe Dee. I am still miffed that they don't have the How Ya Like Me Know or Knowledge Is King albums available on i-tunes.)

Out of the poll question- I will vote for Tupac.

boka
10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Both BIG and 2pac were great rappers , very unique and intelligent , from another planet compared to todays rappers. But I really have no problem deciding to go with pac , since he is still my favourite artist . When younger , I was really down with the west side shit , so I just gotta write this : So I fu...d yo b...h , you fat motha .....r !:devil:
Also a big fan of the late Ol' dirty bastard:angel: , wu - tang , funk doobiest , NWA :armed: ...

liptea
10-05-2006, 07:59 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/giving-opera-a-good-rap/2006/09/14/1157827089273.html

PWNED.

Nathaliia
10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I love The Roots, Clara ;) In general I enjoy your post ;)

I'd like to advertise something newest... check his flow... Papoose... he's mainly in underground but here's his website www.papooseonline.com

:wavey:

El Legenda
10-05-2006, 09:36 PM
outcast :yeah:

artlinkletter
10-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I enjoy the Roots a lot- and have seen them live a few times (streatching from 1995 to this year) and they do put on a great show with good sound.

You have great choice in rap Clara. KRS One's Step into a World is truly one of the greatest songs. Also two of my favourite songs of all time are "The Seed" by the Roots and also "You Got Me" feat Eryka Badhu.

Julio
10-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Papapapapa... The best is Stanley Kirk Burrell aka Mc Hammer. :yeah:

Clara Bow
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
KRS One's Step into a World is truly one of the greatest songs.

Oh- I love that song. He has the old school posturing- but calls out the trend for selling style, not substance. I loved the following lyrics the first time I heard them

Stop wastin your money on marketing schemes
and pretty packages pushin dreams to the beams
A dope MC is a dope MC

I find KRS One fascinating. He has lived an interesting life- and while I like a lot of his stuff- he can also really anger me. His post 9/11 comments- even if he was cut off as he was claimed- before he could finish- were frankly unfeeling, base, and not really well founded imo.

One group that I should listen to more is the Wu-Tang Clan. When they first came out I was very busy with my school work and some other things and therefore never caught on the initial fishing lure. But I have liked what I have heard- and for anyone who listens to Fresh Air on NPR, I was captivated by Terry Gross's interview with The RZA a while back (and imagine you would be too.). Terry Gross is a nerdy looking 40 something year old Anglo lady- but she is always well informed (and pretty passionate) about her subjects and The RZA seemed rather taken aback, bemused and appreciative that this nerdy white lady was asking him the questions that she was. It was pretty awesome. :)

Since we are mentioning some of our favorite rap song - I have to say that Wycelf John's Gone "Til November is one of my favorite rap songs. My husband loves "President" and tends to sing it during November elections and when Bush addresses the nation- it is quite amusing. :)

I don't like it when people automatically dismiss rap. I think it can be a great way to essentially have politcal-poetry out there. And even the trippier stuff that I used to like- it still had some serious commentary in there (admist some of the silly stuff.) I think sometimes that people who don't like rap just look at as this whole homogeneous music movement- when it is far from that. That is the same as saying all rock, country, alternative (do you kids still use that word?), or metal is the same. There are wide divergenices in the genre.

its.like.that
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Nice thread Jerry, both were truly great rappers. :yeah:

But I wouldn't say they died because of nothing...

artlinkletter
10-07-2006, 02:19 AM
One group that I should listen to more is the Wu-Tang Clan.

Since we are mentioning some of our favorite rap song - I have to say that Wycelf John's Gone "Til November is one of my favorite rap songs. My husband loves "President" and tends to sing it during November elections and when Bush addresses the nation- it is quite amusing. :)

I don't like it when people automatically dismiss rap. I think it can be a great way to essentially have politcal-poetry out there. And even the trippier stuff that I used to like- it still had some serious commentary in there (admist some of the silly stuff.) I think sometimes that people who don't like rap just look at as this whole homogeneous music movement- when it is far from that. That is the same as saying all rock, country, alternative (do you kids still use that word?), or metal is the same. There are wide divergenices in the genre.
Hahaha, yes, we still used "alternative". I just remembered another great song of KRS One's----My Philosophy. The line that always gets me from Step Into a World is.. "I'm not saying I'm #1. Oh I'm sorry, I lied. I'm #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5."

I was never a big fan of WTC but I do like Method Man, his song with Mary J, You're All I Need. As for Wyclef, I completely agree. Gone till November one of his best hits, but my favourite of his would be 911 with Mary J. Blige. Killer song. The Fugees is one of my top hip hop groups of all time. Best songs of theirs would be Killing me Softly(although it is ripped from Roberta Flack, I prefer their vesion) and Fugeela. Lauryn Hill's Mystery of Inequity is her best peice of work. Also, Zion is a very emotionally deep song.

I agree that rap gets a bad wrap. (*chuckles*) People assume it's all about money, girls, violence, and drugs, but that tends to be the more mainstream stuff. The artists who I consider to be good rappers rarely rap about stuff like that. I think people just need to be exposed to what's out there, not just what gets shown on MTV or BET.

GlennMirnyi
10-07-2006, 03:04 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/giving-opera-a-good-rap/2006/09/14/1157827089273.html

PWNED.

If you believe that kind of shit, you know nothing about music.

El Legenda
10-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Nice thread Jerry, both were truly great rappers. :yeah:

But I wouldn't say they died because of nothing...

what would you say.

Iheartandy&roger
10-07-2006, 07:34 AM
I respect both of those rappers but I believe that Tupac touched on more real issues going on not which new piece of bling he got and the cars he drives and how the more money he gained the more problems he had.. EVS.... Biggie delivered a lot more rhymes that the rappers of today deliver and while they are catchy they aren't memorable like Tupac's...Rap music is really losing it's edge the only one who I look forward to anymore is Eminem. I used to really like Snoop Dogg, Ludacris and Busta Rhymes but they have lost their edge to novelty and are rapping about garbage or it's all rehash...boring!!

jole
10-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Nobody digging Grandmaster Flash?!

NATAS81
11-01-2006, 06:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhMcyuYroA

scarecrows
11-01-2006, 06:58 AM
:yawn:

Action Jackson
11-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Nobody digging Grandmaster Flash?!

He and Falco.

Kristen
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
What genre would we classify the Weird Al song 'White and Nerdy' as? I mean, if we were taking it seriously.

artlinkletter
11-02-2006, 12:13 AM
I would say it's hardcore gangsta rap :p

jole
11-02-2006, 12:23 AM
He and Falco.

Some fine Austrian schnitzel was there.

R.I.P. Falco. :sad:

Ernham
11-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Greatest rapper was the one that died being a thug before his low IQ ass could ever "spit" a rhyme.

dudi_fan
11-03-2006, 03:15 AM
2pac!!!!