Who Will Win the battle of the future and the past? del Potro or Henman? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who Will Win the battle of the future and the past? del Potro or Henman?

Action Jackson
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
This could be an interesting match or it could be a fizzer. Henman is nearly old enough to be del Potro's father and they play in the 3rd round of the Tokyo event.

del Potro will be in the top 100 at the end of week and while Henman is past his peak, he can still pull out a good performance now and then.

Yes, the 2-0 means the number of sets.

stebs
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Henman in straight sets.

oz_boz
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
I haven't seen Del Potro play. But I pick Henman in 2.

Deathless Mortal
10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Del Potro in 2.

Nathaliia
10-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Del Potro in 2 because Henman just loves playing against the Argentines (especially he's in love with Cańas heh...).

andygabriela
10-03-2006, 10:40 AM
del Potro 2-1

Come on del Potro !!!!:yeah:

bad gambler
10-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Henman

lau
10-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Probably Henman, but I wish Juan does it. :)

radjan
10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
If the court is as fast as I've been told, should be a easy win for Henman. I really like del Potro, but I guess he'll struggle to play against an S&V player in a fast court.

Horatio Caine
10-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Never seen Del Potro play...but the court is quick and Henman is in quite good form. Del Potro probably hasn't played too many players like Henman and might struggle with the contrast of styles.

Henman

revolution
10-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Henman. Experience over youth, although JMDP will be regularly winning this kind of match in a few years.

hanabishi
10-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Methinks this will be JMDP's breakthrough tournament, so I'll go with JMDP in 2.

lau
10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
For those who don´t know much about him, Juan prefers fast surfaces.

radjan
10-03-2006, 11:40 AM
For those who don´t know much about him, Juan prefers fast surfaces.

I've seen JMDP paly in Costa do Sauípe and he was very comfortable in the clay surface. In the end of the match, he was interviewed and said clay was his favourite. Maybe I'm getting something wrong... :confused:

Nathaliia
10-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I've seen JMDP paly in Costa do Sauípe and he was very comfortable in the clay surface. In the end of the match, he was interviewed and said clay was his favourite. Maybe I'm getting something wrong... :confused:

True, but in other interviews I've heard him saying he preferred hard :lol:

radjan
10-03-2006, 12:00 PM
True, but in other interviews I've heard him saying he preferred hard :lol:

Maybe he is kissing the tourney's ass? :confused: I don't know which of them

Maybe his favourite surface is grass? :confused:

Hendu
10-03-2006, 12:23 PM

Like Nalbandian he prefers fastcourts, and also like Nalbandian, he can play well on clay. His dream is to win the US Open.

Plus, his game and body suit fast surfaces better.

I don't have seen him play lately, but: Del Potro 2-1

Jaap
10-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Henman in straights. Del Potro won't have faced someone like Henman before.

lau
10-03-2006, 12:52 PM

:lol: I have no idea...
I don´t doubt he feels comfortable on clay, but as it was said, his games suits hard courts.
A couple of months ago I watched a short TV interview and he said that his fav surface is hard, his dream is winning the US Open (and being N 1 of course) and of the well known players he likes (and/or identifies with) and would like to have Safin´s game. He admited he should have a better serve and needs to improve it to take advantage of his height... and he said he should improve other things too

ufokart
10-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Del Potro 2-1.

Corey Feldman
10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
like most ive not seen this latest prodigy play yet...
Del boy in 3 after a Henman choke somewhere along the line.

ChinoRios4Ever
10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
del potro in 3

henman always loses to argentines

Neverstopfightin
10-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Who wins the first set will win the match . Henman can only win in straight sets on the other hand Del Potro could win in two or 3.

Corey Feldman
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
del potro in 3

henman always loses to argentinesYes the hard working old chap has certainly had his troubles with the juice guzzlers.

DrJules
10-03-2006, 06:43 PM
like most ive not seen this latest prodigy play yet...
Del boy in 3 after a Henman choke somewhere along the line.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jayjay
10-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Clay is his natural surface, but Hard is his fav and USO his fav slam. He can play well on both and will do for many years to come. :)

Primal
10-03-2006, 06:54 PM
As much as like Tim, i don't think he's a winner of this match, and of course I'll not be dissapointed.

BTW I think Koubek-Galvani was an interesting match, i wish I could watch it.

NyGeL
10-03-2006, 10:42 PM
If Del Potro isn't ill or injured, he can win in straight sets :)

anyway, he will have to take care of Henman's style, he is totally different from a Challenger player.

lau
10-04-2006, 12:48 AM

Del Potro: "I served very well today and that took pressure off me. [Ginepri] gave me a couple of opportunities and I took them. I like to play on these courts, hard is my favorite surface."

On his next opponent: "I was playing against Henman on the PlayStation last year and now I meet him for real on a tennis court! I am looking forward to that."
:awww: :lol:

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/newsandscores/news/news4.asp

Primal
10-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Del Potro: "I served very well today and that took pressure off me. [Ginepri] gave me a couple of opportunities and I took them. I like to play on these courts, hard is my favorite surface."

On his next opponent: "I was playing against Henman on the PlayStation last year and now I meet him for real on a tennis court! I am looking forward to that."
:awww: :lol:

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/newsandscores/news/news4.asp

:lol: :hug:

Corey Feldman
10-04-2006, 01:08 PM

On his next opponent: "I was playing against Henman on the PlayStation last year and now I meet him for real on a tennis court! I am looking forward to that."brilliant :lol:

even on the PS Henman chokes :o :help:

Checho
10-04-2006, 03:08 PM
I think Henman is the big favourite, but Del Potro can beat him.

Juan Martín plays very well on hard, in fact, this is his favourite surface.

Today in an interview with olé (an agentinian Newspapper) he said:

"Ginepri me dio un par de oportunidades y las aproveché. Me encanta jugar en estas canchas, el cemento es mi superficie favorita".

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1283727&fecha=20061004

"Ginepri gave to me a few opportunities and i took advantage of them. I love to play on these courts, hard is my favourite surface"

Come On Del Potro!!!!

VAMOS PALO HUMILLE!!!!

Merton
10-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Del Potro can win, but Henman is the favourite here, he is experienced and JMDP will remind him of Chela, even though he has much higher potential. Henman in 2 or Del Potro in 3, I will go for the veteran here.

GlennMirnyi
10-04-2006, 06:27 PM
It's like Del Potro haven't lost to FALLA in the US Open...

marti_228
10-04-2006, 08:45 PM
It's like Del Potro haven't lost to FALLA in the US Open...

It's like you can't say nothing useful. He lost to Falla, and among others, he defeated Chela, Verdasco, Ginepri and Moya.
It's like you are always against the Argentinians even when it's not necessary to say something.

I really don't know what to expect, because I thought he was going to lose to Ginepri, but it was the opposite. I think it'll be depend also on Del Potro's head.

GlennMirnyi
10-04-2006, 09:27 PM
It's like you can't say nothing useful. He lost to Falla, and among others, he defeated Chela, Verdasco, Ginepri and Moya.
It's like you are always against the Argentinians even when it's not necessary to say something.

I really don't know what to expect, because I thought he was going to lose to Ginepri, but it was the opposite. I think it'll be depend also on Del Potro's head.

I'm just saying that it's all hype. If he were that good on fast surfaces how could he lose to Falla? Or is Falla a great top 10?

Fool yourself then.

Julio1974
10-04-2006, 09:41 PM

Don't bother responding to this guy. We all know he only purpose here is to attack every Argentine player.

Sagiel
10-04-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm just saying that it's all hype. If he were that good on fast surfaces how could he lose to Falla? Or is Falla a great top 10?

Fool yourself then.

Hey, Del Potro lost to Donald Young on hard, I guess he should just retire.

Deivid23
10-04-2006, 09:55 PM
I feel Henman should not be a comfortable match-up for Del Potro , so Henman to win in 2

ufokart
10-04-2006, 10:19 PM

Noone is saying he is very good on hardcourts, the only thing i read in this thread is people saying that his favorite surface is hardcourt (maybe i missed something).

His birthday was a few days ago, he is only 18. He is (or is about to become) the youngest person in the current top 100, give him some time before calling him "All hype".

GlennMirnyi
10-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Don't bother responding to this guy. We all know he only purpose here is to attack every Argentine player.

As if I needed to.

Fergie
10-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Juan in 3 ... Vamos! :bounce:

Corey Feldman
10-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Tim wins in 2.

always nice to be proved wrong where the old fella is concerned :)

GlennMirnyi
10-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Hehehehe
Henman is way better than Falla.

Hendu
10-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Del Potro lost to Henman 6-7 3-6.

It was a great tournament for him. We will see the ranking on Monday, he could be the youngest in the Top 100.

Keep it up Del Potro!!! :yeah:

BlakeorHenman
10-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Go Tim!!!!!

Jaap
10-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Expected straight sets win from Tim.

Primal
10-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Good job Tim. :)

And yes, tennis is about match-ups

untill you become Federer