Mumbai Final Moved to Monday [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mumbai Final Moved to Monday

hanabishi
10-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Due to today's rain in Mumbai, the singles final between Tursunov and Berdych has been moved to Monday. The forecast for Monday though is still more rain, so there's a big chance that both players will just share the title and the prize money.

If that does happen (although I'm hoping it doesn't), will it be the first time that a singles final won't be played? Any tennis historians out there who remember a similar situation happening?

Action Jackson
10-01-2006, 01:42 PM
It has happened before in Monte Carlo when the final between Vilas and Connors wasn't played and Jimbo would be the one who was happier about that.

hanabishi
10-01-2006, 01:44 PM
It has happened before in Monte Carlo when the final between Vilas and Connors wasn't played and Jimbo would be the one who was happier about that.

Oh okay.. How would that work though? Would they be named co-champions? How will the ranking points be given?

ASP0315
10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Not that i know of. But yeah in case the singles is cancelled the each player will get $41,300 and about 150 ATP points. At least the fans won't be dissapointed that their favorites did not lose. :lol:

hanabishi
10-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Not that i know of. But yeah in case the singles is cancelled the each player will get $41,300 and about 150 ATP points. At least the fans won't be dissapointed that their favorites did not lose. :lol:

Or maybe they will be disappointed that neither of them "won" :lol:

Purple Rainbow
10-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Due to today's rain in Mumbai, the singles final between Tursunov and Berdych has been moved to Monday. The forecast for Monday though is still more rain, so there's a big chance that both players will just share the title and the prize money.

If that does happen (although I'm hoping it doesn't), will it be the first time that a singles final won't be played? Any tennis historians out there who remember a similar situation happening?

It happened in Rooterdam too. A final between Lendl and another big name. A bomb alarm caused the final to be postponed and eventually not played at all.
The bomb alarm was a false one, incidentally.

ASP0315
10-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Or maybe they will be disappointed that neither of them "won" :lol:
Yes. :lol:

Action Jackson
10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh okay.. How would that work though? Would they be named co-champions? How will the ranking points be given?

They were co-champions and they had a different points system then.

They will both get the same points, if not completed.

ASP0315
10-01-2006, 01:54 PM
It happened in Rooterdam too. A final between Lendl and another big name. A bomb alarm caused the final to be postponed and eventually not played at all.
The bomb alarm was a false one, incidentally.
wow.:eek: The tournament got cancelled because of a false alarm. :lol:

Nando_L
10-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Go Tomas!
Go Mario/Mahesh!
:bounce:

Cristine
10-01-2006, 01:55 PM
They were co-champions and they had a different points system then.

They will both get the same points, if not completed.

Bye bye Top 10.... :sad:

Action Jackson
10-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Bye bye Top 10.... :sad:

Nothing to worry about, he will get there and stay there on his own terms eventually.

hanabishi
10-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I really hope this match pushes through. I was so looking forward to watching this.

Byrd
10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Weather forecast for the next week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2421

hanabishi
10-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Weather forecast for the next week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2421

Yikes, that Mumbai forecast looks horrible.

Cristine
10-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Nothing to worry about, he will get there and stay there on his own terms eventually.

I hope so... :sad:

Action Jackson
10-01-2006, 02:04 PM

What's to worry about? He has improved his overall consistency this season and apart from the Aus Open has done well in the Slams.

He likes playing under a roof, so the indoor events are good possibilities for him.

Cristine
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
What's to worry about? He has improved his overall consistency this season and apart from the Aus Open has done well in the Slams.

He likes playing under a roof, so the indoor events are good possibilities for him.

That's the problem. He has 500 points to defend just in Paris. It'll be really hard.

neenah
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM

I think he will :)

And as for the final's possibility of cancellation that would be horrible! Would it still count as Tursunov's first title? Not technically, but some might think of it as that I guess :confused:

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
10-01-2006, 02:14 PM
whaaaaaaaaat????!!! :eek:
my bird of paradise sharing the money and the title with the great kisser! :devil:
*.·::·.* *.·::·.*
.*´¨ )
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ : (´¸.•*´¯`*•--> NEVER! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/mypixforum/megalol.gif

Cristine
10-01-2006, 02:16 PM
And as for the final's possibility of cancellation that would be horrible! Would it still count as Tursunov's first title? Not technically, but some might think of it as that I guess :confused:

:scratch: I don't think so... I mean... It's not a Berdych's third title... That's ridiculous. :(

hanabishi
my bird of paradise sharing the money and the title with the great kisser! :devil:
.*´¨ )
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ : (´¸.•*´¯`*•--> NEVER! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/mypixforum/megalol.gif

Haha, maybe they could celebrate being co-champions with a kiss.

Action Jackson
That's the problem. He has 500 points to defend just in Paris. It'll be really hard.

It's not a problem actually, he has done well enough elsewhere and he will make it to the top 10 as long as he is not injured. It doesn't matter when.

Cristine
10-01-2006, 02:17 PM
.*´¨ )
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)

:rolls: :worship:

Cristine
10-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Haha, maybe they could celebrate being co-champions with a kiss.

:devil:

neenah
10-01-2006, 02:22 PM
:scratch: I don't think so... I mean... It's not a Berdych's third title... That's ridiculous. :(

I don't think it would count either. But it's still kind of a weird idea, not playing a final. I never even considered this kind of situation..

sawan66278
10-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Actually, Lendl and Johnny Mac shared the title at Stratton Mt. Vermont tourney (which is now New Haven) many years ago...

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
10-01-2006, 02:55 PM
arrghhh my *li'l* poem especially written for Tomas Berdych... falls into the water!!! :rolleyes:

V... Victory!

Two Years Ago
You won Palermo!
1st ATP Title
on the 3rd October
Volandri you defeat
Volandri!
Opponent's First letter is a... V

Two Years Later
Mumbai you conquer!
3rd ATP Title
on the 1st October
Tursunov you beat
TursunoV!
Opponent's Last letter is a... V

tomorrow it's the 2nd and of course, it doesn't work anymore http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/mypixforum/megalol.gif + I'm not home for cheering on my fave... please God Bless Berdych!

markom
10-01-2006, 03:21 PM
there is indoor stadium in mumbai IMHO its stupid not to take finale there if it rains tommorow.

LaTenista
10-01-2006, 05:25 PM
:scratch: Didn't someone around here say monsoon season in India begins in October?

Sounds like piss poor planning on ATP's part. :rolleyes:

I agree I'd rather see an indoor final than none at all.

njnetswill
10-01-2006, 05:30 PM
One of the recent tournaments (Forgot if it was WTA or ATP) moved the matches to an indoor court due ot rain. Are there no indoor tennis courts in Mumbasi, India's biggest city? :confused:

Yappa
10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
One of the recent tournaments (Forgot if it was WTA or ATP) moved the matches to an indoor court due ot rain.

You mean the World Team Cup in Duesseldorf?

robinhood
10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
:scratch: Didn't someone around here say monsoon season in India begins in October?

Sounds like piss poor planning on ATP's part. :rolleyes:

I agree I'd rather see an indoor final than none at all.

:haha:
Oh dear. They schedule an outdoor tournament during the indoor & monsoon season??
Hopefully everything will be resolved quickly.

What's Berdych's next event scheduled?
Tursunov is supposed to play in Japan this week.
He will be so tired if he does go! :(

~EMiLiTA~
10-02-2006, 05:57 AM
when i heard a few months ago they were holding a tournament in mumbai at this time of year i thought it was a stupid idea...at least make it indoors :rolleyes:

Egag
10-02-2006, 06:04 AM
The smart thing to do would be to just change courts.....outdoor to indoor

Doctor Dance
10-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Currently raining in Mumbai :wavey:

Doctor Dance
10-02-2006, 06:44 AM
One of the recent tournaments (Forgot if it was WTA or ATP) moved the matches to an indoor court due ot rain. Are there no indoor tennis courts in Mumbasi, India's biggest city? :confused:

You think people here care about tennis? :haha: There is only one sport here and it is cricket. No way the government will give funding for another tennis court - unless tennis switches from using a tennis racket to a cricket bat :lol: