Blake vs. Roddick: Who is the better player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Blake vs. Roddick: Who is the better player?

Tennis Fool
09-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Who is the better player, iyo? I'm not talking about accomplishments, but who has the better all around game?

bluefork
09-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I'd say Blake has a better all around game--he's much faster, his forehand is just as good or better, and neither has a great backhand. Basically, the only thing that Roddick does better is serve (and he's mentally stronger).

But I'm not going to say anything because I don't want a certain Roddick fan to give me an infraction. ;)

euroka1
09-30-2006, 07:02 PM
I'd say Blake has a better all around game--he's much faster, his forehand is just as good or better, and neither has a great backhand. Basically, the only thing that Roddick does better is serve (and he's mentally stronger).

But I'm not going to say anything because I don't want a certain Roddick fan to give me an infraction. ;)

Me neither! :eek: But that's a good answer. Look who's beating Safin these days.

Sjengster
09-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Blake has more overall weapons, Roddick has more reliable weapons. Ergo, one would have to say Roddick is better at his more limited game than Blake is at his comparatively versatile one.

GlennMirnyi
09-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Blake's more technically accomplished.

Mechlan
09-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Roddick. Comparing their overall strengths, not head-to-head, which makes it a bit tough, but Roddick's serve and forehand (in his prime) were two devastating weapons. Just having those two puts him in an excellent position since he holds serve relatively easily and just needs a few good swings on the return game to win a set. Roddick is maybe not the more complete player, but doesn't need to be because of the weapons he has. In comparison, I don't think Blake's forehand matches up. His movement is clearly superior and his return probably better, though not exceptional - he has moments of brilliance and moments of crap (like the rest of his game, unfortunately). But I'd rely on neither of those to win a match.

I guess if you picked an unknown opponent on a random surface and asked which of these two I would back, I'd probably pick Roddick.

Tommy_Vercetti
09-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Blake's game is torn apart by any top player that is not playing at a sub-par level.

Roddick can beat good players when they play well.

Blake's game has nothing special at all and he can lose to mid-level players when he is playing well.

Roddick's serve can blow away a lot of good players say like Tommy Robredo just out the gate.

revolution
09-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Blake more technical but Roddick more powerful.

Havok
09-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Blake has the better and more all around game (can hurt you in more ways than Roddick can) BUT the biggest difference between the two of them is that Roddick knows what his weapons are and uses them to great effect (his forehand used to be MASSIVE, and he really needs to find it again to compete for the biggies all the time) and Blake still seems unsure of how to use his weapons and what to do when he's getting outhit. Roddick tends to wait for the storm to calm while trying to match the power of his opponents from time to time. Blake is just dumb in this department and blasts away with his opponents and hits tons of errors. Blake might be the better player if we look at their all-around aspects but Roddick simply knows how to play the game of tennis a hell of a lot better than Blake so nod to Andy.;)

Allstar
09-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Blake easily imo

Think his main problem is mentally. If he can click up there then he is comfortably 2nd best on a hard court. Just a case of cutting out the bad patches of play, lapses on serve, closing out matches, exploiting opponent's weaknesses and a bit more of a fighting mentality.

partygirl
09-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Blake's more technically accomplished.
Andy is more mentally accomplished, which sounds hysterical to say but its true.
I think that wins out more times than not -mentality:shrug: & power.

Geniey2g
09-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Blake has more overall weapons, Roddick has more reliable weapons. Ergo, one would have to say Roddick is better at his more limited game than Blake is at his comparatively versatile one.
But who's better, overall? Or can't you pick? :) I agree with you, btw; that's why I can't pick either.

disturb3d
09-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Roddick has so much ability in his serve games, that his game is well-suited to crush lesser players.

But in the end, today's best would rather play Andy than James.
Fed, Nadal, Ljubo, Nalb. For them it's only a matter of playing decent to grab a couple of service breaks from Roddick.

James can hurt you 0-5 down, returning serve.
But he has many requirements in order to play his game, and is easily prone to a bad day.

Who is the better player?
James can beat the best. Andy can crush the worst.
Regardless, their ranking will always be similar.

One things for sure, they're both horrible talents who have taken their games to the limit. Their success lying in the quality of opponents they face.

Leo
10-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Roddick.

Fergie
10-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Blake has the better game

BigAlbinoDonky
10-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Much like choosing between George W. and John Kerry....both of them suck.

Ultimately, Roddick is better. He's more consistant than Blake, and his serve can pretty much single-handedly beat most players on the tour these days. Blake is much more exciting to watch, and at times even seems capable of giving Roger a fight(unlike Roddick). But I doubt Blake will ever be able to keep his ridiculous aggressive game together long enough to do it.

~*BGT*~
10-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Much like choosing between George W. and John Kerry....both of them suck.

Ultimately, Roddick is better. He's more consistant than Blake, and his serve can pretty much single-handedly beat most players on the tour these days. Blake is much more exciting to watch, and at times even seems capable of giving Roger a fight(unlike Roddick). But I doubt Blake will ever be able to keep his ridiculous aggressive game together long enough to do it.

You mean Blake is the one who's beaten Fed and not Andy? :rolleyes:

World Beater
10-01-2006, 02:36 AM

:haha:

andy beat roger when they were both still having wet dreams

i wouldnt put too much weight into one win, as the difference between the two.

but i would expect roddick to beat roger in the near future if it were to happen rather than for james to do it. although on paper james

BigAlbinoDonky
10-01-2006, 04:42 AM

That was years ago sweetie. Roger isn't the same player as he was then, and neither are Andy or James.

cobalt60
10-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Saw this thread yesterday and was not going to post but then why not;)
Basically I see no need to compare them at all. They are both good players with different pluses and minuses which I am sure we all see differently. I just enjoy watching both of them play and love it when they beat players whom everyone says should beat them.

DrJules
10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Serve - Roddick much better.
Mentally - Roddick stronger.

Forehand - edge to Blake although Roddick's possibly slightly more reliable.
Volley - edge to Blake.
Backhand - Blake a little better.
Return - Blake a lot better.
Movement - Blake a lot better.

Overall Blake appears better, but Roddick has performed better in long run. I think difference has been that Roddick has mentally held together much better. However, this year little between them.

Experimentee
10-01-2006, 03:54 PM
A couple of years ago, Roddick was better. But since then Blake has improved his consistency and mental strength, and I'd say Blake is now the better player as well as the most versatile. It shows in their recent H2H.

ServeAlready81
10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
It's clearly Blake who has more weapons than Andy. Yes Andy is more consistent off the ground, but that's because he rarely puts juice on his shots especially that back hand :o Also Andy without his serve is absolute crap (this coming from a fan) James without his serve still has an explosive return, amazing defense, and a killer forehand. I agree that Andy is mentally tougher, but that doesn't necessarily help him when his opponent starts to just block back his 130mph serves.

thrust
10-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I basically agree with bluefork, though I think Blake^s backhand is better than Roddick^s, while Roddick does have the better serve. I am not sure Blake has the mental toughness to win a Slam. He needs to be more patient and more positive when things are not going his way. I do perfer Blake^s style of play to Roddick^s.

thiaela
10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
I think is better Andy Roddick

Tennis Fool
10-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Also Andy without his serve is absolute crap (this coming from a fan)

Wow, I never thought I'd see a day when an Andy fan says Andy is nothing but a serve :eek:

I guess you don't have a problem with him only having one weapon (albeit a big weapon), as long as it gets the job done?

~*BGT*~
10-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Wow, I never thought I'd see a day when an Andy fan says Andy is nothing but a serve :eek:

I guess you don't have a problem with him only having one weapon (albeit a big weapon), as long as it gets the job done?

You'll never see me say it because I don't believe it. :p

General Suburbia
10-02-2006, 03:14 AM
Andy's forehand, if I remember correctly, used to be bigger. Dunno what happened.

General Suburbia
10-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Blake is much more exciting to watch, and at times even seems capable of giving Roger a fight(unlike Roddick). But I doubt Blake will ever be able to keep his ridiculous aggressive game together long enough to do it.

Did you see the US Open? Blake took a set off Roger because Roger choked. Roddick took a set off him while he was playing well throughout, and could have perhaps won the third if Roddick didn't have a brainfart. Both players can push Federer, but Roddick can do it a bit longer and do it more consistantly.

But in the end, neither will ever beat Fed...

ServeAlready81
10-02-2006, 05:04 AM
But in the end, neither will ever beat Fed...

Never say never, although it would be difficult it's not impossible. Nothing is impossible in sports, that's just the way it is. However if one was to beat Federer, I'd go with James because he has more weapons to hurt Fed with. It actually seems like Federer has more difficulty returning James' serve than Andy's IMO.

jcempire
10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
If Andy and James could learn from each other.

They will find a way to beat Roger.

Blake need big serve

Andy need improve his return and Movement

If you pick ANDY serve, JAMES Return, James Backhand, James Forehand,
James Return. That's a way to play against Roger.

acoffeygirl
10-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Maybe they could tag team! :p

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Roddick

Both have the same mental block against Federer.

KickAssAngel
10-03-2006, 03:36 AM
If Andy and James could learn from each other.

They will find a way to beat Roger.

Blake need big serve

Andy need improve his return and Movement

If you pick ANDY serve, JAMES Return, James Backhand, James Forehand,
James Return. That's a way to play against Roger.

That means James is a better player?

I don't know I think both are quite entertaining to watch. But James' return is definitely much better than Andy's and yes James needs to work on his serve a real lot.

partygirl
10-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Maybe they could tag team! :p
Hot.

simona21
10-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I HAVE TO SAY WITHOUT ANY DOUBT .....RODDICK

leng jai
10-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Blake is far too aggressive half the time. I seriously doubt he knows how to hit a "medium" forehand.

doublebackhand
10-03-2006, 04:44 PM
time will tell in the end by how much they have accomplished. right now, andy edged by having one slam (and several finals).

partygirl
10-03-2006, 04:48 PM
...and quite many more titles,
i think its clear.:)

Golfnduck
10-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Blake has the better and more all around game (can hurt you in more ways than Roddick can) BUT the biggest difference between the two of them is that Roddick knows what his weapons are and uses them to great effect (his forehand used to be MASSIVE, and he really needs to find it again to compete for the biggies all the time) and Blake still seems unsure of how to use his weapons and what to do when he's getting outhit. Roddick tends to wait for the storm to calm while trying to match the power of his opponents from time to time. Blake is just dumb in this department and blasts away with his opponents and hits tons of errors. Blake might be the better player if we look at their all-around aspects but Roddick simply knows how to play the game of tennis a hell of a lot better than Blake so nod to Andy.;)
I couldn't agree with you more Naldo :worship:

ticktockclok
10-04-2006, 04:17 AM
Put 'em in a mixer, strain out their weak points, and you have a Federer eating machine.

But really, I'll give it to Blake.

martinatreue
10-04-2006, 04:45 AM
hmmm i will give slight edge to blake. but basically very close

NATAS81
10-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Blake hasn't been himself since RG. Roddick easily.

All you had to do was pay attention to tennis since summer began.

DrJules
10-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Blake hasn't been himself since RG. Roddick easily.

All you had to do was pay attention to tennis since summer began.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Interesting comment after last week.

markom
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
dont know about blake but roddick seems like better one for a moment ,as far as smooth operating is counting :)

http://www.index.hr/clanak.aspx?id=329070

if not just yellow croatian journalism paris hilton mastered roddick or vice versa before upcoming masters series.

Fumus
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Ur mom.

Checho
10-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Was Blake nº 1??

Has Blake ever won a Grand Slam or Master Series??

What are you asking??

Roddick is a much better player than Blake!!! You can´t compare them.

DrJules
11-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Blake is ranked higher than Roddick this year.

Jlee
11-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Blake is ranked higher than Roddick this year.

Yes, and congrats to James :)

Still, Andy's worst year on record and James' best still only puts them within 2-3 rankings places of one another. Next year will show whether James is as consistent as Roddick has proved himself to be over the years. Blake also needs to perform on a big stage, beating Federer in the final tomorrow would be a great way to do it. :D

Peoples
11-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Just look at the rankings, Fool.

simona21
11-18-2006, 02:59 PM
roddick.....of course

ChinoRios4Ever
11-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Roddick by far
World No1, 1 GS, 3 GS Finals, 4 AMS Titles, DC Finalist, has won titles in all surfaces...

Blake best result in a GS is QF at the US Open, never won a 5 set match...

i think James is a great player, he's the #4 now, but it's hard to compare with a-rod right now, maybe Blake has the better game than Andy, but Andy have been a better carrer than James till now, let's see what happen in 2007...

selesfan
11-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I think Blake has a more complete game than Andy does, but he seems to lack stamina and has more menatl lapses. He has improved a lot this year. I guess Andy would be considered a better player becaus he is tougher mentally and physically but I prefer James' game to Andys

yomeK
11-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Blake's game is torn apart by any top player that is not playing at a sub-par level.

Roddick can beat good players when they play well.

Blake's game has nothing special at all and he can lose to mid-level players when he is playing well.

Roddick's serve can blow away a lot of good players say like Tommy Robredo just out the gate.

:haha: :help: Seek help cutie, :awww:

yomeK
11-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Blake is obviously a much better player than Roddick at the moment. Blake can actually last in rallies and break serve :)

Black Adam
11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
We will start this thread when Blake wins A slam, a TMS, wins a five setter and reaches number 1. James might have a better game but when it comes to the acheivements he stands no chance.

Black Adam
11-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Blake is obviously a much better player than Roddick at the moment. Blake can actually last in rallies and break serve :)

:rolleyes: watch the stats http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/
Both Blake and Roddick have converted 42% of their break points and knowing how many Break points Roddick wastes he has the advantage here ( he gets more break points) and Roddick has a low unforced error count compared to James.

bluefork
11-18-2006, 06:11 PM
We will start this thread when Blake wins A slam, a TMS, wins a five setter and reaches number 1. James might have a better game but when it comes to the acheivements he stands no chance.

Obviously Roddick has had better results over his entire career, but right now James Blake deserves to be the no. 1 American. He's had the more consistent year, he's beaten Roddick twice, and he's had more wins over top players this year. And yeah, Roddick made a GS final and Blake didn't, but who's to say that Blake wouldn't have been in the final of the US Open and Roddick wouldn't have lost in the quarters if their draws were switched?

mashamaniac
11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
for sure roddick with a tons of distance is better! apart from those stats that checho said above, plz don't judge a-rod by his bad season in the first 6 months of 2006! he's been playing even better than roger in the past 2,3 months.so plz judge andy by his next oz summer results! who knows,maybe he'll win it.

Yappa
11-18-2006, 06:57 PM
he's been playing even better than roger in the past 2,3 months.so plz judge andy by his next oz summer results! who knows,maybe he'll win it.

:confused:

R.Federer
11-18-2006, 07:01 PM
he's been playing even better than roger in the past 2,3 months.so plz judge andy by his next oz summer results! who knows,maybe he'll win it.

If I'm not mistaken Roger has won 3 tournaments including one Masters shield in the last 2,3 months. Andy has not gone past a semi in that time. What are you talking about?!! :lol:
In any case, no need to draw Roger into this. The question was about James and about Andy.

guy in sf
11-18-2006, 08:21 PM
What's their head to head record?
Personally, I find Blake to be a warmer, nicer person without the attitude and cockiness.

partygirl
11-18-2006, 08:31 PM
when james stays in the top 10 for a couple of years...
when he wins a couple of masters...
when he makes it to a GS final...
when he wins one...
when he comes through in 5 sets this question should really be asked:lol:

Of course the mtf answer will be different than the actual truth.:p
he might have more weapons he might even be technically better...but to me what makes a better player is their ability to win big matches & put themselves consistently in a top spot.

BlackSilver
11-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Roddick

DwyaneWade
11-18-2006, 09:01 PM
for sure roddick with a tons of distance is better! apart from those stats that checho said above, plz don't judge a-rod by his bad season in the first 6 months of 2006! he's been playing even better than roger in the past 2,3 months.so plz judge andy by his next oz summer results! who knows,maybe he'll win it.

I think she means Roger Rabbit, not Federer :p

ntorcida
11-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Blake for me ;)

Geniey2g
11-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, and congrats to James :)

Still, Andy's worst year on record and James' best still only puts them within 2-3 rankings places of one another. Next year will show whether James is as consistent as Roddick has proved himself to be over the years. Blake also needs to perform on a big stage, beating Federer in the final tomorrow would be a great way to do it. :D
Agreed! Let's go, James :D :D; I shall be waking up early tomorrow morning to see the match.

Exodus
11-18-2006, 09:19 PM
at full power blake is a better player than roddick

Derek1206
11-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Roddick.

Dusk Soldier
11-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Just look at the rankings, Fool.

The rankings are misleading because of this years Master's Cup. I suspect things would have been different had James been in the red group and Roddick in the gold one.

You only have to look at the years results. One slam final and One Masters series title trumps five regular titles.

Roddick is the better player.

gogogirl
11-18-2006, 11:22 PM
The rankings are misleading because of this years Master's Cup. I suspect things would have been different had James been in the red group and Roddick in the gold one.

You only have to look at the years results. One slam final and One Masters series title trumps five regular titles.

Roddick is the better player.

All,

I don't agree with the above for a couple of reasons. If Andy had ran into James at the US OPEN - James might have made it three in a row. If James had not ran into Roger at IW - he might have a Masters title - plus the other five, and may haps one in Miami w/o Federer all up in the way. James made 7 finals and Roddick 2. Plus how many top ten players did Roddick beat along the way?

I always prefer to let the racket do the talking.

yomeK
11-18-2006, 11:58 PM
:rolleyes: watch the stats http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/
Both Blake and Roddick have converted 42% of their break points and knowing how many Break points Roddick wastes he has the advantage here ( he gets more break points) and Roddick has a low unforced error count compared to James.

At the end of the day, Blake is in the Final of the YEC, and Roddick, well, he's somewhere else :o :devil:

partygirl
11-19-2006, 12:32 AM
At the end of the day, Blake is in the Final of the YEC, and Roddick, well, he's somewhere else :o :devil:
:haha:...this time.

big deal, i mean it is a big deal but only because it's his first really big final & vs roger:p

Allure
11-19-2006, 01:21 AM
:haha:...this time.

big deal, i mean it is a big deal but only because it's his first really big final & vs roger:p

If it was Andy, it would be a big deal;)

roddick#1tome
11-19-2006, 04:17 AM
andy:o

The Oracle
02-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Blake never had the talent, it has always been Roddick who is by far more talented and acts by far less classy.