Marat Safin - "I don't have any expectations for this year" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marat Safin - "I don't have any expectations for this year"

SLICK
09-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Marat has thrown in the towel as far as this year is concerned. He says it's been a disaster and is not expecting anything much for the rest of the year. Strange coming from a guy that won Madrid and Paris back to back in 2004 and is playing some very good tennis again.
Blake thinks he's top 10 material again.
http://www.inside-tennis.net/index2.php?action=news&id=1969&ds=James%20Blake

Billabong
09-30-2006, 01:36 PM
I think Marat is really discouraged of losing all these tight matches lately(Washington, US Open, Bangkok) and he didn't have any great results this year, but I think we all feel like his game is getting better and better since the summer so I really hope he doesn't throw the towel for real, usually he does extremely well in this part of the season!

Horatio Caine
09-30-2006, 01:36 PM
:haha:

Oh man...he needs his head examining :scratch:

It could be that by saying all this it makes him more relaxed for the remaining events...and therefore gives him a better chance of doing well. It could also be a message to the other players to put them off-guard slightly :shrug:

I would take what he says with a pinch of salt :yeah:

Billabong
09-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Safin’s disappointment at losing a match that he could so easily have won was plain for all to see and hear. However, he was cheered by the news of Blake’s compliment that he felt the Russian was playing like a Top 10 player:

“Really? Yeah…If he says so then I guess he knows better. He’s in the top 10 so he should know better as I’m pretty far out”, Safin said.

“But I had my chances; I’ve lost a lot of matches this year where I was leading like today that slipped away. If I had won half the matches that I should have won then I would already be in the top 10.”

Safin’s depressing summary of his year got even darker:
“This year has been a disaster in many ways. I’ve had to deal with a lot of problems inside and outside of the court. My ranking is coming up slowly so I’m trying to finish this year on a good note and then forget about this year.”

“I don’t have expectations for this year. I don’t believe that something will turn around and just click to create a new story; I don’t expect that. There has been a lot of miscommunication, a lot of misunderstanding, something missing. A lot of problems; I don’t feel like luck is on my side. It’s tough.”

So does that mean Marat that you will not work with Peter Lundgren again this year?

“I don’t know.”

fadou
09-30-2006, 02:13 PM
i 'm persuaded his only problem, it is the mental, i think he is not alone in his head but it's also his charm

MariaV
09-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Marat does best without the pressure. :)

thiaela
09-30-2006, 04:49 PM
THAT IS TRUE

robinhood
09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Hopefully the DC final will give him some good momentum for next year.
By the way, is he playing in Madrid or Paris?
WC? or protected ranking???

RonE
09-30-2006, 05:20 PM
And this is when Marat is at his most dangerous- when his expectations of himself are minimized.

atheneglaukopis
09-30-2006, 06:04 PM
He has no expectations for the rest of this year, and yet he's talking about wanting to be seeded for the AO next year. Hope dies last.

gulzhan
09-30-2006, 06:15 PM
He has no expectations for the rest of this year, and yet he's talking about wanting to be seeded for the AO next year. Hope dies last.

I guess you and Marat have different understanding of expectations... :devil: Obviously, getting into top 30 is something he does not call "expectations". And that's pretty doable for him since everything goes plus to his ranking in fall.

Too bad he encounters Youzhny in the 1st round of Metz! :sad: :crying2:

s.m.
09-30-2006, 06:17 PM
safin´s demeanor on court is a disaster
he´s winning a set, he´s in there in 2nd and after one or two bad points he goes crazy like a maniac
that is one crazy ****** ******
i think that is not lack of confidance
he´s just sick in the head

Merton
09-30-2006, 06:34 PM
It reminds me a bit of the fall of 2004. Marat lost a very close semifinal in the same tournament to Andy, then won both Madrid and Paris in the indoors season. I am not saying it will happen again, but the important thing is that he shows signs of life.

cmurray
09-30-2006, 07:06 PM
He's pissed off right now. This is a good thing. I worry when Marat throws his hands in the air, smiles and says "Well...what can you do?" Just saying that he should be winning some of those matches is encouraging.

*Viva Chile*
09-30-2006, 07:53 PM
It reminds me a bit of the fall of 2004. Marat lost a very close semifinal in the same tournament to Andy, then won both Madrid and Paris in the indoors season. I am not saying it will happen again, but the important thing is that he shows signs of life.
agree, Marat in 2004 was totally on the floor saying after reaching the finals of AO he couldn't get any better result, losing a final against Chela :o , bad olympics, losing in 1st round on US Open... he didn't expect anything for that year, but then... he won Beijing, SF in Bangkok, and the best part... winning 2 TMS and SF on Masters Cup. Maybe some thinks that I'm another idiotic optimistic here, but I still thinks that he only has to play without pressure and maybe the things will go easier and he will reach more better results ;)

shotgun
09-30-2006, 07:57 PM
typical :bs: talk by Marat, playing down his chances so that he can play with less pressure and maybe catch some opponents off-guard (though I don't believe they will fall for it).

Vass
09-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Marat does best without the pressure. :)

Or he'll tank the rest of the year.

{Annie}
09-30-2006, 07:59 PM
He'll be back ;) He is showing the greatest signs of life I have seen since he got back. His game has improved... he is slowly getting there...this year he has nothing to lose, whatever he plays - he gains...

I AM an idiotic optimist and proud of it :woohoo:

{Annie}
09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Just look at how he played Roddick in Moscow last week... I mean I know it's clay but so what? Roddick is a solid top 10 player...he looked totally helpless :p

atheneglaukopis
09-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Just look at how he played Roddick in Moscow last week... I mean I know it's clay but so what? Roddick is a solid top 10 player...he looked totally helpless :pRoddick also lost to the King of Clay in My Underwear last week. :rolleyes:

No, I agree with the overall evaluation, though, and I join you in a state of Idiotic Optimism. :crazy: You have to look at how Marat plays (lucky you :p), not at the quality of his opponent, which has nothing to do with anything.

atheneglaukopis
09-30-2006, 08:05 PM
I have no expectations for Marat, now or ever. I'm just along for the ride, a faithful :dog:.

Vass
09-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Just look at how he played Roddick in Moscow last week... I mean I know it's clay but so what? Roddick is a solid top 10 player...he looked totally helpless :p

Oh come on Annie! Not in GM at least.

{Annie}
09-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Here especially :p

wcr
09-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Maybe if Marat canned that manager he's got - the same one who helped Goran Ivanisevic find his place as yet another talented tennis underachiever - and sign with a better prospect he might actually a develop a game plan he can realize. All that talent and ability and how is he making the most of it?

Fedever
09-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Marat Safin Interview 9.27.06:

Safin seems to be playing better tennis of late, and so I asked him if he was enjoying the freedom of playing without a coach.
"It has been a very difficult year. I had to take some time away from Peter. My head was spinning; I didn't know what to do. I was completely misguided; didn't feel like I was playing my game. I wanted to think about these things by myself; decide what is good and what is bad, so I can make the right choice without any mistakes. At my age you can't afford to make many mistakes because there are not many years left. You want to cruise through the last 4 or 5 years without any upset and stupid mistakes because already I've done a lot in the past, so just make sure everything goes well smoothly. Everything is going pretty well actually."

Safin still believes he can make it back into the top 10 and has made it his priority:
"That's my goal; there is no other reason for me to play tennis", Safin insisted. "Money I have; only about what to achieve. My biggest priority is to come back to the top 10, then I think I will have a couple of chances to win a Grand Slam with a good draw and a little bit of luck; basically that is why I'm still playing."

My reaction to 9.27.06 Interview::dance: :dance: :dance: :banana: :banana: :yippee: :yippee: :bounce: :bounce:

On 9.30.06 he says this:

Safinís depressing summary of his year got even darker:
ďThis year has been a disaster in many ways. Iíve had to deal with a lot of problems inside and outside of the court. My ranking is coming up slowly so Iím trying to finish this year on a good note and then forget about this year.Ē

ďI donít have expectations for this year. I donít believe that something will turn around and just click to create a new story; I donít expect that. There has been a lot of miscommunication, a lot of misunderstanding, something missing. A lot of problems; I donít feel like luck is on my side. Itís tough.Ē

Will the real Marat please stand up??:confused:
Come on Safin get it together! Stop the confusion! You can do it!!!

Question: Does anyone know what he was referring to by problems outside the court?
And the miscommunication, misunderstanding comments. Were those about Lungren?

atheneglaukopis
09-30-2006, 11:31 PM

Safin seems to be playing better tennis of late, and so I asked him if he was enjoying the freedom of playing without a coach.
"It has been a very difficult year. I had to take some time away from Peter. My head was spinning; I didn't know what to do. I was completely misguided; didn't feel like I was playing my game. I wanted to think about these things by myself; decide what is good and what is bad, so I can make the right choice without any mistakes. At my age you can't afford to make many mistakes because there are not many years left. You want to cruise through the last 4 or 5 years without any upset and stupid mistakes because already I've done a lot in the past, so just make sure everything goes well smoothly. Everything is going pretty well actually."

Safin still believes he can make it back into the top 10 and has made it his priority:
"That's my goal; there is no other reason for me to play tennis", Safin insisted. "Money I have; only about what to achieve. My biggest priority is to come back to the top 10, then I think I will have a couple of chances to win a Grand Slam with a good draw and a little bit of luck; basically that is why I'm still playing."

My reaction to 9.27.06 Interview::dance: :dance: :dance: :banana: :banana: :yippee: :yippee: :bounce: :bounce:

On 9.30.06 he says this:

ďThis year has been a disaster in many ways. Iíve had to deal with a lot of problems inside and outside of the court. My ranking is coming up slowly so Iím trying to finish this year on a good note and then forget about this year.Ē

ďI donít have expectations for this year. I donít believe that something will turn around and just click to create a new story; I donít expect that. There has been a lot of miscommunication, a lot of misunderstanding, something missing. A lot of problems; I donít feel like luck is on my side. Itís tough.Ē

Question: Does anyone know what he was referring to by problems outside the court?
And the miscommunication, misunderstanding comments. Were those about Lungren?I think he's talking about the voices in his head. :lol: I don't know.

Broomie
09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
I think he's talking about the voices in his head. :lol: I don't know.
:lol:

He's a little pessimistic but what he's saying is true. This year has been horrible, and there are not that many tournaments left to make it a better year. Increasing his ranking is the only thing he can really hope for right now. No need to wait for a sparkle that hasn't lit in 7 months. :rain:
It's been 7 months of painful losses. I'd be really glad if in 2007, 2006 was just some bad dream we all forgot about.
He knows he can do it. He's just accepted that nothing amazing is going to happen right NOW. :shrug:

rmb6687
10-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I mean, Marat is a realists, there aren't many tourney's left but I also think he is lowering expectations so that when nothing happens, he can say to himself "see, i knew that would happen" and not feel as bad about 'failing' since he had predicted it would happen. And if/when he gains a lot of points, he can feel even better about it since it would be so beyond his original expectations.

I do this with myself too.

atheneglaukopis
10-01-2006, 12:46 AM
I mean, Marat is a realists, there aren't many tourney's left but I also think he is lowering expectations so that when nothing happens, he can say to himself "see, i knew that would happen" and not feel as bad about 'failing' since he had predicted it would happen. And if/when he gains a lot of points, he can feel even better about it since it would be so beyond his original expectations.

I do this with myself too.Same here. I spent the entire month before my qualifying exam in June reminding everyone that I was taking it very early and it would be entirely acceptable if I had to repeat and blah blah blah. Rafa spent that entire same month reminding everyone how young and not-ranked-number-one he is and how just making the RG final would be a big deal and blah blah blah. I passed and he won and Marat's ranking will go up before the year's end. :yeah:

Kalliopeia
10-01-2006, 01:18 AM
He says in both those interviews that he's had a rough year. The only difference is, in the one following a tough win when he's feeling positive, he focuses on good things to come despite the trials of the current year. In the one following a loss (that he had several chances to win), he's not feeling positive and so focuses on gloom and doom. It's probably hard to think "Oh, I could get back to the top ten and maybe win another Slam" when another part of your brain is saying "Jesus I had match points! I was up a break! And then I came back from being down a break to get to a tiebreak and I flaked out again and lost. I SUCK."

Hang in there Marat.

Fedever
10-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Maybe you are right. However, the interviews were only 3 days apart! My, my Marat how tortured is your brain! :devil:

atheneglaukopis
10-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Maybe you are right. However, the interviews were only 3 days apart! My, my Marat how tortured is your brain! :devil:Marat is a rollercoaster. This is normal for him.

Besides, I agree, you feel worse immediately after a loss than after a win. That's normal for anyone. Check out Roddick interviews during his slump. "I'm not the captain of Team Fun right now."

SLICK
10-01-2006, 05:10 AM

On 9.30.06 he says this:

And the miscommunication, misunderstanding comments. Were those about Lungren?

My guess is that he was probably thinking about difficulties with Lundgren when he made those "miscommunication, misunderstanding" comments. I think maybe they had a big fallout and their "trial" separation may soon become permanent. We shall see.

chicky841
10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Its probably best if he doesn't have any expectations for the rest of the year.