malisse wants to play in davis cup but rochus doensnt want him to play? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

malisse wants to play in davis cup but rochus doensnt want him to play?

rommel99
09-30-2006, 04:14 AM
is this true?

rommel99
09-30-2006, 04:17 AM
Voor Xavier Malisse is de deur alvast dicht"

Willen de Belgen Xavier Malisse nog in de Davisbeker? Neen, zo zegt Olivier Rochus. Ook voor Kristof Vliegen is "de deur dicht". Malisse zelf zegt: "Ik wil weer meespelen in 2007."

België speelt volgend jaar in de Davisbeker tegen Australië en dat ziet Xavier Malisse wel zitten. Maar zien de Belgen het nog zitten met hem? Nee, zo blijkt.
"Voor Olivier Rochus is de deur alvast dicht", zegt Kristof Vliegen in de kranten.
"Ik ben dinsdag met Rochus naar het basketbal geweest en hij was heel hard voor Malisse: Xavier komt er niet meer in."
"Ook voor mij is de deur dicht, maar Malisse heeft wel nog de sleutel."
"Ik zal in elk geval geen beslissing nemen. Maar als Malisse zich hier kan bij neerleggen, is het verdict duidelijk: zonder Xavier", besluit Vliegen.

Xavier Malisse heeft in het verleden vaak afgehaakt voor de Daviscup.
"Maar in februari wil ik wel tijd vrijmaken om mee te doen met de Belgische ploeg", zegt Malisse nu plots.
"Het is niet omdat België weer in de wereldgroep zit, dat ik weer wil meespelen", gaat Malisse voort.
"Wat er ook beweerd wordt, ik heb altijd graag voor mijn land gespeeld. Maar het land moet stoppen met negatief te doen over mij, en ik heb het niet over de fans."
"In ieder geval, ik ben beschikbaar. De jongens die nu de ploeg vormen, moeten maar laten weten of ze me nog willen."

Hoferlin: "We gaan de Australiërs verslaan"
* Justin Hoferlin (Daviscup-kapitein): "Als Malisse, de federatie en de andere spelers tot een akkoord komen, is het voor mij goed. Ik wil met de sterkst mogelijke ploeg spelen. Lukt dat niet, dan kies ik voor jongens die zich voor 200 procent willen geven. We gaan de Australiërs in 2007 trouwens verslaan."
* Kristof Vliegen ziet het ook wel zitten tegen Australië. "Als je landen als Argentinië en de Verenigde Staten loot, dan kun je het meteen schudden. Tegen al de rest zijn we niet kansloos." Wint België, dan wachten de kwartfinales.
* Het duel tussen België en Australië zal op gravel gespeeld worden. Wellicht wordt de locatie Luik of Charleroi.

--im not sure if this is related, if it is, can someone translate? tnx

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 04:28 AM
:rolleyes: I seriously doubt Ollie is against having Malisse on the team.

I am pretty sure that article is saying that the Belgian tennis overall hasn't liked Malisse in the past, and they are curious to why all of the sudden he wants to play.

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:02 AM
Well if thats the case fuck Belgium tennis, Mallise> All other Belgium tennis players.

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Well if thats the case fuck Belgium tennis, Mallise> All other Belgium tennis players.

Um...no.

Lee
09-30-2006, 05:04 AM
Have you checked the date of the article. It sounds like something happened in the past. :shrug:

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Have you checked the date of the article. It sounds like something happened in the past. :shrug:

They are talking about playing Australia. Thats 2007. :wavey:

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Um...no.

Dont remember the USO 3 years ago?

Malisse whooped Rochus in 3 strait sets.

There is no comparing the amount of talent that these two guys have, the guestion is and always will be can Malisse play to his potential?

Lee
09-30-2006, 05:08 AM
They are talking about playing Australia. Thats 2007. :wavey:

OK, so they are at it again. :p

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 05:09 AM
Dont remember the USO 3 years ago?

Malisse whooped Rochus in 3 strait sets.

There is no comparing the amount of talent that these two guys have, the guestion is and always will be can Malisse play to his potential?

Hey buddy that was three years ago. Remember when Ollie played Malisse last year in Mons. Hm...what was it? 6-2, 6-0 Ollie...yeah good point there dude. Why don't you stop talking before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Hey buddy that was three years ago. Remember when Ollie played Malisse last year in Mons. Hm...what was it? 6-2, 6-0 Ollie...yeah good point there dude. Why don't you stop talking before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

No I dont actually...Mons?

MMMillicent
09-30-2006, 05:11 AM
wow. his attitude is so horrendous i wouldnt mind not seeeing him for a couple of decades, then when hes good and retired he can play in an old grandpa masters!

he flicked off my dad...theres good sportsmanship for ya!:(

LaTenista
09-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Ummm, I seem to recall there was a rough patch awhile back with Malisse and Oli Rochus. However I heard several reports they had patched things up.

And as far as I know only the captain can say who will or won't be on the team.

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 05:13 AM
No I dont actually...Mons?

Yeah, you obviously know your tennis. :rolleyes:

Last year Ollie beat Malisse 6:2, 6:0. But if you think Malisse is better, continue your argument. I guess the Belgian Tennis Federation thinks Malisse is better too..he has played on the DC team so much...oh wait....:rolleyes:

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:14 AM
wow. his attitude is so horrendous i wouldnt mind not seeeing him for a couple of decades, then when hes good and retired he can play in an old grandpa masters!

he flicked off my dad...theres good sportsmanship for ya!:(

lol your dad must have caught him after a loss, and when he was ticked, and when the X man is ticked stay away but after he wins he is always nice to all of his fans especially kids.

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Yeah, you obviously know your tennis. :rolleyes:

Last year Ollie beat Malisse 6:2, 6:0. But if you think Malisse is better, continue your argument. I guess the Belgian Tennis Federation thinks Malisse is better too..he has played on the DC team so much...oh wait....:rolleyes:

Obviously X man is a bit of a headcase and doesnt get along with little man Rochus, but seriously the amout of talent that Xavier has is undeniable Ollie is just a little man who is a decent tennis player today.

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Obviously X man is a bit of a headcase and doesnt get along with little man Rochus, but seriously the amout of talent that Xavier has is undeniable Ollie is just a little man who is a decent tennis player today.

Yeah ok, whatever you say dude. I'm done with you.

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Yeah ok, whatever you say dude. I'm done with you.

Did you watch Ollies match against Hrbaty the other day, how the hell did he beat Dom in straits in Slovakia, Dom is a monster in DC matches, I just dont understand that, Dom must have been hurt?

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 05:21 AM
Did you watch Ollies match against Hrbaty the other day, how the hell did he beat Dom in straits in Slovakia, Dom is a monster in DC matches, I just dont understand that, Dom must have been hurt?

You obviously underestimate Ollie. God just stop trying to be right.

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:23 AM
You obviously underestimate Ollie. God just stop trying to be right.

All I want to say is that he and Vliegren are being jerks for saying they dont want Xavier on the dutch DC team, if they want to beat Australlia Xman must be there.

Do you not like Xman or somthing?

Foosimoo
09-30-2006, 05:25 AM
All I want to say is that he and Vliegren are being jerks for saying they dont want Xavier on the dutch DC team, if they want to beat Australlia Xman must be there.

Do you not like Xman or somthing?

Did I ever say that?

And its not Ollie and Kristof, its Belgian tennis.

TMJordan
09-30-2006, 05:29 AM
Did I ever say that?

And its not Ollie and Kristof, its Belgian tennis.

I am pretty sure they are having a say in it because I know that X and Ollie dont or at least didnt get along, anways I am basically just saying they should be working together to help their country out instead of aruging with one another.

I am out, later.

disturb3d
09-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Malisse has greater potential.
But Ollie has gone further with his game, and is without a doubt the better player.

Both have massively under-achieved.

JuanRodriguez
09-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Before wrong allegations are made and if you wanna understand what's really going on in the Belgian Davis Cup team you have to take a look in history.

Xavier Malisse and davis cup all worked out pretty fine when Belgium reached the quarter finals in 1999. Belgium had to play Switzerland and the 19-year old Malisse won the deciding match over the 18-year old Roger Federer. The Belgian team, press and public were very excited by Xavier's achievements, but that changed quickly when they had to play the semi-finals against France. Exaggerated or not, members of the Belgian Davis Cup staff saw Xavier in a bar the night before he had to play his semi-final match. Belgium lost 1-4 and after that the relationship between Davis cup and Xavier Malisse was troubled for a long time. Xavier didn't play Davis Cup for two years.

In between Olivier Rochus was the new guy in the Belgian Davis Cup team and got along fine with Xavier. In 2001 Malisse got back into the team and this went okay for a few years. In Belgium everyone believed in the great potential of Oli and the X-man, especially after they won Roland Garros together in doubles. But at the end of september 2004 Xavier didn't want to defend the Belgian colours no longer. He wanted to take some rest and focus on his own game (which helped him to win the Delray Beach tournament in february 2005).

What bothered Oli was that Xavier wants to play davis cup when it suits him fine. Their relationship got troubled big time. Malisse didn't play the tie against the United States because he couldn't commit to the fact that he would play all of the matches of 2006.
Anyway, exactly a year ago at the challenger of Mons, things got sorted out and Oli and Xavier told they would play doubles together again. Xavier didn't play against the Ukraine, but was (for Oli) welcome to play the next match (which brings us to the tie against the Slovak Republic) Olivier told about their turbulent relationship in the papers: "Xavier is a friend. We have known each other since we were 10-11 years old. We shared everything. But Xavier is a very sensitive guy who has troubles showing emotions. It leads to communication problems. During Roland Garros he also didn't have the best relationship with davis cup coach Steven Martens (who coached Xavier during RG). But that's Xavier. He won't change any more. And I would find it stupid to lose our friendship therefore."

Hehe, everything was fine for the tie against the Slovak Republic... until Xavier didn't commit to make the trip. Doors were shut for good. Oli couldn't understand Malisse didn't show more respect for the rest of the team. Plus the emergence of Kristof Vliegen this year made a contribution of Xavier to the Belgian davis cup team less important. Vliegen can manage to win difficult matches and teams up with Olivier Rochus in doubles, also in the ATP-circuit.

This week Malisse told the Belgian press he would like to play against Australia and that he even would like to fly over for a week from the United states to Belgium and back. But he wasn't accepted by Olivier. The reaction of Kristof Vliegen: "Most of the members of the Belgian federation and players are bothered that Xavier doesn't pay respect for us by cancelling for the Davis cup. For Oli doors are closed very tightly and it doesn't look like he's gonna change his opinion. Xavier can't get in no longer. Also for me the door is closed, only Xavier has the key and can get in if he really wants. Look, let's put it this way. I have followed school together with Xavier, we are good friends. But if he wasn't my friend, I immediately would say 'no' to his comeback."

No doubt this everlasting saga will be continued. :rolleyes:

Lee
09-30-2006, 08:22 AM
IMHO, the "no respect toward your team talk" is total BS.

Will any Swiss player dare to say Federer shouldn't be back to the team because he didn't commit to play whole year, only pick the time whenever he wants to play?

In the golden ages of Sampras and Agassi, will any American players dare to say the same thing?

Castafiore
09-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Mons. I saw that match. I don't think that this match is a fair match to compare strengths of the two Belgians. Malisse wasn't really feeling well that day. Granted, he did play so he felt well enough to step on the court but I would not attach too much importance to the results.

This year, Olivier Rochus and Kristof Vliegen will play at the Challenger at Mons. Xavier can't play.
Xavier Malisse (ATP-38) ne pourra malheureusement pas participer car le règlement de l’ATP ne prévoit la participation que de deux joueurs du top 50, pas trois", a indiqué André Stein, président de l’Association Francophone de Tennis.
--> meaning that Xavier can't participate because the ATP rules state that only two players from the top 50 can enter, not 3.

Malisse has greater potential.
But Ollie has gone further with his game, and is without a doubt the better player.
Yup, I agree.

Ollie is very committed to the Belgian DC team and it's great that we have him. He wants the same sort of dedication from Xavier and once in a while, Xavier puts his own career before Davis Cup. Ollie doesn't seem to accept that and now the door is closed for Xavier. :rolleyes:
I honestly don't get it but then again, I don't know what went on behind the scenes.
Xavier says well in advance that he wants to play and they refuse him point blank? :sad:
The team would be stronger with Xavier in it.

Xavier didn't get along very well with our previous DC captain IIRC.
Martens stepped down after the DC matches against the USA (where Martens created quite a fuss with the way he talked to Roddick, mocking the "mojo" ad from last year).
They then set off to find another captain in the beginning of this year. Vliegen was involved in talking to other members to come to a captain everybody could agree with it. Somebody, correct me if I'm getting this wrong but as I've learned it: they appointed Ollie's coach as the DC captain without really consulting others about that. I believe that I read somewhere that Xavier didn't agree with this: first you say that all involved needed to get involved in the choice of DC captain and then suddenly, the coach of one team member is appointed?

charlie666
09-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Why is it Rochus who decides who can play in the team and who can't? :confused:

Horatio Caine
09-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Size has nothing to do with it...otherwise Karlovic would be top 30 :rolleyes:

JuanRodriguez
09-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Why is it Rochus who decides who can play in the team and who can't? :confused:

Olivier didn't miss any davis cup tie since 2000, except the one against Spain in 2003. And he's the number one of the Belgian players for a while. But still... IMO it should be the coach who decides.

Horatio Caine
09-30-2006, 01:29 PM

I'll take the trouble of explaining this to you, so listen and learn :rolleyes:

Dom is past his prime and has had a poor year by his standards. Ollie is still playing his best tennis. Both are capable players indoors so Dom's advantage is cut away. Ollie is a flea and gets everything back...Dom doesn't particularly like that style of tennis. Ollie wins...

Horatio Caine
09-30-2006, 01:34 PM
In defence of Rochus and the other Belgians...it does seem that Malisse has cried wolf one time too many. I play teams for uni and it pisses me and everyone else off if a team member commits and then pulls out last minute...it is a simple lack of respect.

The fact is, if you want to play team competitions...you should train with the team when they get together, you should try 100% on court, and you should support the other members. Anyone who can't do that shouldn't get more than a second chance, whether they are talented or not.

shotgun
09-30-2006, 04:49 PM
As long as Malisse can be useful for the Belgian DC team, he should be able to play IMO.

If Vliegen, Rochus and co. think they can beat Australia without Malisse then fine, but if they don't, then expect to get a lot of criticism.

revolution
09-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Malisse needs to be part of that team. Otherwise they'll struggle, I don't see Oli carrying them on his own against the Aussies with Hewitt and a good doubles side.

GlennMirnyi
09-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Malisse is incredibly inconsistent. I don't see him being a better player than Olivier, but he's undeniably more talented.

I think they should let Xavier play, but it's really difficult to deal with someone like that. The guy is a pendulum... goes back and forth all the time, just like his game.

I agree with someone over there who said that it's a lack of respect to commit and pull out at the last time. Even though it seems something small for outsiders, it's a big deal to whoever is in the team.

rrfnpump
09-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I agree with Olli

X-Man has let the team down several times in the past

madmanfool
09-30-2006, 07:05 PM
One thing you all seem to forget is that the tie against Australia will be played on gravel, so even if Malisse comes, i'm not very sure he'll play.

rommel99
10-02-2006, 04:55 AM
well i think they should let him play isimply because he would raise their chances.. i mean if kim and justine who were never friends can play together why not let xavier in the team?

njnetswill
10-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Didn't Malisse and Rochus play doubles together before?

Kworb
10-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Rochus is definitely more talented than Malisse. If he were a bit taller, he'd be top 10 for sure.

Jogy
10-02-2006, 01:36 PM
nobody should really listen to what this little and not grown-up clown Rochus is saying :o

but Belgium made it very right in Davis Cup and won!

Rochus is definitely more talented than Malisse. If he were a bit taller, he'd be top 10 for sure.
you see it very wrong, Malisse is more talented by far than Rochus. If Malisse would work better and have stronger mind, he would be top 10. If you have Rochus at 1.80m he would have better serve but would loose some of his strength when running and with his movement and agilty.

JuanRodriguez
10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Tomorrow there will be an exclusive interview with Olivier Rochus in HUMO, one of Belgium's leading magazines. I suppose he will give more information about this davis cup conflict with Malisse.

JuanRodriguez
10-03-2006, 09:39 AM
As promised a translated excerpt from the interview with Olivier Rochus in Humo about Xavier: (please forgive me all possible mistakes ;) )

The X-factor

HUMO As much as you like to play Davis Cup, Xavier Malisse isn't that enthousiastic. Hoferlin (Oli's coach + davis cup coach) and you both thought he would show up this time, but no.
ROCHUS "We hoped so indeed. We had good prospects: the game against the Slovak Republic fitted pretty good in the tennis calender. But okay, he didn't wanted it."

HUMO Because the president of the federation didn't treat him right?
ROCHUS "He would have made negative remarks concerning Xavier's behavior during his latest davis cup match. Xavier would have explored the night life during this tie. I don't know exactly

HUMO There where also some problems about the prize money?
ROCHUS Xavier doesn't play every time that good, and he has decided to play mostly for the money. And yes, by example when we played against the Ukraine (the match before the Slovak Republic) every player got 1000 euros, bruto: so we didn't gain a lot. While you could also play a challenger that time, where you can easily gain much more money. I think all the emotions that you feel when you're playing for your country are priceless, but Xavier of course has the right to think otherwise. (sigh) I don't know... I think it's most of all a pity that things went this way.

HUMO Because it also troubled your friendship with Xavier.
ROCHUS He's angry with me because I said things like they were. Not with any bad purposes: I like him very much, even since we were little, and I thought maybe that I could get things together by telling him the truth. I think it's a pity the money always has to prevail, and not the rest of the guys, and that he can't put his problems with the federation aside to support us.
But hey, we've beaten the Slovak Republic without him: we will manage to get through in the future as well without him. Belgium is back in the world group: we 're not going to let Xavier that easily back in the team now the hard work is done.

HUMO But couldn't you use him in the world gorup (Belgium plays against the strong Australians in february 2007)?
ROCHUS Pffft.. Of course the team is stronger with Xavier in the team. But in our team, which has a good atmosphere, we need someone with a good attitude. I appreciate Xavier very much. Yesterday he all sent us a message with his mobile: "Félicitations les gars!" (Congratulions guys!). He is really that way - very kind, generous and friendly. I don't know if it is him or the people around him... (sigh) Look, I think it's a pity. That's everything I have to say about it

rommel99
10-03-2006, 09:53 AM
well good luck to belgium when they play against australia. it would be nicer though if xavier could play.

alfonsojose
10-03-2006, 01:55 PM
IMHO, the "no respect toward your team talk" is total BS.

Will any Swiss player dare to say Federer shouldn't be back to the team because he didn't commit to play whole year, only pick the time whenever he wants to play?

In the golden ages of Sampras and Agassi, will any American players dare to say the same thing?

:yeah:

Lee
10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
OK, Rochus or whoever believe you should play DC no matter what you felt about the federation, money, etc. Basically, you should play DC and that's the end of story. And if you have a different opinion, you're out!

WOW!!!!

So next time, if Malisse doesn't believe in what the Belgium government is doing, he should be kicked out of the country too?

btw, most of the Brasilian players should be banned from playing DC ties as they dared to refuse to play DC a few years ago when they had a different opinion from the federation.

Lee
10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Rochus may be a good friend with Malisse and I do believe he's.

But what he's doing is imposing his value of playing DC on Malisse and because Malisse does not buy that, he feels Malisse betrays him and the team. Is this what a real friend is? Kick your friend from behind because he holds a different value?

rommel99
10-04-2006, 04:05 AM
Rochus may be a good friend with Malisse and I do believe he's.

But what he's doing is imposing his value of playing DC on Malisse and because Malisse does not buy that, he feels Malisse betrays him and the team. Is this what a real friend is? Kick your friend from behind because he holds a different value?

plus rochus says that he plays for the country, and hey, if you want youre country to be stronger then you gotta have the the better player, even if you have to sacrifice your own feelings right?