Yellow and red cards/infractions [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Yellow and red cards/infractions

Pages : 1 [2]

its.like.that
09-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info George.

Could one of the mods please write up his charge, the guy deserves that at least.

its.like.that
09-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm assuming Jaap has been banned for certain comments he has made in the past.

Can I just ask why a poster like happy928 has not been banned yet? The guy has made repeated threats to beat and molest members of my family, and this is all fine with the mods?

Yet I got banned for calling the guy a "twat". Can somebody please explain why the rules are applied differently to me than to him? And in your eyes, is calling somebody a "twat" a worse crime than threatening to **** and beat on other people?

Thanks.

Deboogle!.
09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I never saw these threads by happy928, but did you report them? also, if you feel that a complaint of yours has been ignored, you should write to one or all of the supermods directly.

bad gambler
09-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm assuming Jaap has been banned for certain comments he has made in the past.

Can I just ask why a poster like happy928 has not been banned yet? The guy has made repeated threats to beat and molest members of my family, and this is all fine with the mods?

Yet I got banned for calling the guy a "twat". Can somebody please explain why the rules are applied differently to me than to him? And in your eyes, is calling somebody a "twat" a worse crime than threatening to **** and beat on other people?

Thanks.

Send me PM with examples please.

TankingTheSet
09-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Aren't the gambling threads kind of unpoliced territory? If the same standards would be applied as the rest of the site every second post would result in a ban.

bad gambler
09-30-2008, 02:07 AM
Aren't the gambling threads kind of unpoliced territory? If the same standards would be applied as the rest of the site every second post would result in a ban.

I have no idea whether the posts he relates to is in the gambling area or not hence the reason I asked for specific examples

its.like.that
09-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I reported them already, but I'll dig them up if he hasn't already deleted them.

There is a difference between using a harmless name to refer to another member, and making obscene comments about their families.

edit: my bad, perhaps I didn't report all of them. Anyhow, here are some examples:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7635992&postcount=2351

so rubbish like ILt's sister

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7636025&postcount=2371

simon's gonna regret those 2 bps.....it'll hunt him like ILT's mom hunting for young boys in red light district

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7635848&postcount=2281

BOOYAH!

Easy like ILT's mom :yeah:

So could he please be banned already so I can stop whining like a 10 year old girl? :sobbing:

Zirconek
09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
what does means ILT? :o :unsure:

Snoo Foo
09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
what does means ILT? :o :unsure:

:secret: its.like.that

Zirconek
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
:secret: its.like.that

oh, right, thank you, I thought he was refering to a player :lol:
now it sounds pretty obvious :o

its.like.that
10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I bet if I were a PREMIUM MEMBER he would have been banned a long time ago :lol:.

Ahhh the power of the $.

:lol:

cobalt60
10-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I bet if I were a PREMIUM MEMBER he would have been banned a long time ago :lol:.

Ahhh the power of the $.

I find it ironic that you wish to ban someone.

l_mac
10-11-2008, 02:16 AM
I got an infraction for having "Dedicated to P.Antonius"in my sig.

:retard:

~Maya~
10-11-2008, 03:47 AM
I got an infraction for having "Dedicated to P.Antonius"in my sig.

:retard:

I find that ridiculous. I am wondering if calling another poster bipolar(in a direct attack)in GM warranted some kind of infraction, because that has to be ten times worse than something like "dedicated to P. Antonius" But since that post is not erased, I am assuming it was OK. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
10-11-2008, 04:44 AM
I find that ridiculous. I am wondering if calling another poster bipolar(in a direct attack)in GM warranted some kind of infraction, because that has to be ten times worse than something like "dedicated to P. Antonius" But since that post is not erased, I am assuming it was OK. :rolleyes:It's not my call, but if calling people a "moron" is worth an infraction, I'd think calling someone bipolar should be as well. Did you report the post?

Mimi
10-11-2008, 04:47 AM
i agreed, L-Mac's signature is just a bit sarcastic which carries no direct insult and it was in response to P Antonious's more offensive signature directed at her first :rolleyes:

I find that ridiculous. I am wondering if calling another poster bipolar(in a direct attack)in GM warranted some kind of infraction, because that has to be ten times worse than something like "dedicated to P. Antonius" But since that post is not erased, I am assuming it was OK. :rolleyes:

~Maya~
10-11-2008, 05:50 AM
It's not my call, but if calling people a "moron" is worth an infraction, I'd think calling someone bipolar should be as well. Did you report the post?

I wanted to leave that decision to the poster it was addressed to, but decided to report it after reading this. I personally would brush off something like "moron", but "bipolar" is a real medical condition from which real people suffer from, which makes it worse IMO.

i agreed, L-Mac's signature is just a bit sarcastic which carries no direct insult and it was in response to P Antonious's more offensive signature directed at her first :rolleyes:
I believe that he was warned about his sig also. His was worse, but I find both cases a little bit silly considering all other stuff going on. But sigs are easier to spot than some very rude words. So, slap that "report the post" button :lol:

Sunset of Age
10-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I wanted to leave that decision to the poster it was addressed to, but decided to report it after reading this. I personally would brush off something like "moron", but "bipolar" is a real medical condition from which real people suffer from, which makes it worse IMO.

Well said.

I believe that he was warned about his sig also. His was worse, but I find both cases a little bit silly considering all other stuff going on. But sigs are easier to spot than some very rude words. So, slap that "report the post" button :lol:

Yep. As the mods themselves urge us to use that button when it's appropriate, we should indeed do so. It's there for a bloody good reason.

Deboogle!.
10-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I wanted to leave that decision to the poster it was addressed to, but decided to report it after reading this. I personally would brush off something like "moron", but "bipolar" is a real medical condition from which real people suffer from, which makes it worse IMO. Fair enough, but yes, please report anything and everything you find is against the rules. It's really helpful. Also, even if you're not involved in the post you think is bad, reporting it is still helpful because a mod might see it and not realize its rudeness. Sometimes something is really rude in a particular culture/country/language/etc and the mod reading it wouldn't necessarily get that. So reporting something you come across is always helpful:)

~Maya~
10-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks mods

Okonsky
10-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks Maya, didn't know you reacted. Deb, Karin, mimi...and Maya > :hug: and thx.

alfonsojose
10-11-2008, 09:08 PM
You actually should say thank you and bow to mods for not banning you. You are way more polluting, repetitive and annoying than CD but have none of his amusing and analytical abilities. Your contribution to the forum is way below zero, negative contribution in fact, close to zero kelvin. I wonder how can CD be banned and you're still here. That tells volumes about the banning criteria and its practical application by the staff.

Disgusting situation.

:yeah:

Sunset of Age
10-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks Maya, didn't know you reacted. Deb, Karin, mimi...and Maya > :hug: and thx.

Thanks Misha. :hug:
Even if people dislike me for doing my duty - which is, report insulting posts, no more, as I'm no mod, neither do I have any wish of becoming one, let that be clear - it's always rather nice to recieve some kind of back-up. :yeah:

~Maya~
10-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Fair enough, but yes, please report anything and everything you find is against the rules. It's really helpful. Also, even if you're not involved in the post you think is bad, reporting it is still helpful because a mod might see it and not realize its rudeness. Sometimes something is really rude in a particular culture/country/language/etc and the mod reading it wouldn't necessarily get that. So reporting something you come across is always helpful:)

Thanks Misha. :hug:
Even if people dislike me for doing my duty - which is, report insulting posts, no more, as I'm no mod, neither do I have any wish of becoming one, let that be clear - it's always rather nice to recieve some kind of back-up. :yeah:

I will be slapping that button more often :yeah:. Thanks everybody. Karin, I cannot rep you yet. It is too soon :sad:
Misha, welcome

Okonsky
10-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Karin, me to...green doesn't work yet:).

Deboogle!.
10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Great that you guys will be reporting more:yeah: :D for some reason, sonme people don't want to do it at all, which I don't really understand, but anyway. :yeah:

BigJohn
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I think one has to be a self-righteous hypocrite to come in here complaining about a direct attack in a thread while posting this very direct attack in the very same thread:

-I hate this Djokovic guy.
-I keep all threads about him on my radar.
-I PM his fans trying to explain them that he is a bad guy because I really feel for those delusional people.
-I spend so much time bashing this guy, I should sue him for all this time I have to waste on him
-I am desperately trying to win l_macs approval even if I am not half smart as she is.
- I have a friend who writes articles about tennis
- Man, I must be so good, I am beating all other haters here. l_mac? Do you see this? Please good rep me and tell me you are proud
- I have plants in my house
- I am so scared of NaCl
-My favorite book: "genuine hugs"
-I like pink color

Holier-than-thou?

~Maya~
10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Did somebody recognize themselves in there and above? :rolleyes:
I will accept any punishment this may lead to, without complaining

Okonsky
10-12-2008, 10:54 PM
God...O Boze, dal te ima? Tough this life.

Sunset of Age
10-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Great that you guys will be reporting more:yeah: :D for some reason, sonme people don't want to do it at all, which I don't really understand, but anyway. :yeah:

I think I can understand it for a bit - a very long time I didn't report any posts at all, as I used to think that 'reporting' might come across as 'not being able to take a joke' (or worse: not understanding it ;)) and the like. It might feel like you are in fact being easily offended to some.

I've changed my attitude towards it for a bit and do not hesitate to report anything anymore that comes across as racist and/or sexist. I actually feel like it's our duty to do so now. Same goes for nasty trolling and insulting posters in a player's forum - immediate reporting necessary IMHO.

But when it comes to GM, it's more difficult when to report and when not, as what is considered 'nasty trolling' to one, might well be considered 'funny' by others... I hope this makes any sense btw. :)

Deboogle!.
10-13-2008, 02:13 AM
It makes sense, I guess I just don't agree with that mindset. I can't speak for other mods, but I'd rather people over-report than under-report. We have very few problems in Andy's forum, but a few times I have gotten reported posts that I have determined are not against the rules, but I certainly didn't get annoyed with the reports.

As for trolling in GM (or anywhere really, I've had a hard time with many posts in andyland over the years too), I think you're right that that's harder to determine. I know a few times people have been accused of being "trolls" when in reality, they were just newbies and didn't get it, or that kind of thing. But that's what the report button and the GM mods are there for. It's not up to us to determine what's funny or what's trolling or what's this that or the other thing, it's up to the GM and supermods, so don't worry about it. If you think it's potentially problematic, just report it, and then the mods can consider it against the rules and similar kinds of situations. :)

Mimi
10-13-2008, 03:05 AM
sorry, you misunderstood Gio's post, he was just being sacrastic and got moved seeing Nole being critised unreasonably, he didn't mean to offend anyone :wavey:

I think one has to be a self-righteous hypocrite to come in here complaining about a direct attack in a thread while posting this very direct attack in the very same thread:

Holier-than-thou?

~Maya~
10-13-2008, 03:18 AM
sorry, you misunderstood Gio's post, he was just being sacrastic and got moved seeing Nole being critised unreasonably, he didn't mean to offend anyone :wavey:

:hug: mimi, I am a girl ;)

Mimi
10-13-2008, 03:24 AM
oh sorry, i thought your user name "Gio" looked like a boy :o:p
:hug: mimi, I am a girl ;)

~Maya~
10-13-2008, 03:34 AM

It's OK. Gio is a boy. My user name is misleading

Edit: I changed my avatar. Maybe that helps :lol:

Mimi
10-13-2008, 03:43 AM
:lol::hug:
It's OK. Gio is a boy. My user name is misleading

Okonsky
10-13-2008, 03:34 PM

She is Maya:devil:

Mimi
10-14-2008, 05:35 AM
She is Maya:devil:

Okonsky
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
And she'll kill me:)

Mimi
10-15-2008, 03:27 AM
why? its a beautiful name :confused:

And she'll kill me:)

l_mac
10-15-2008, 01:48 PM

There are people whining in this thread who have personally attacked/bullied members of this forum repeatedly. Hypocrites they are indeed.

tangerine_dream
10-16-2008, 10:59 PM
On the other hand what's the point of reporting a thread when nobody does anything about it until the fun has run its course and only then does a Mod step in and close it?

Deboogle!.
10-17-2008, 12:46 AM
On the other hand what's the point of reporting a thread when nobody does anything about it until the fun has run its course and only then does a Mod step in and close it?Well that's completely unacceptable. If you report something and it's still there, and you really strongly believe it's something that must be dealt with, I would send a PM to the supermods and/or all the mods of that section of the board. Of course, sometimes people will report posts and the mods will think about it and say that it's not against the rules. I have done that before and I'm sure all the mods have at one time or another. But if it's something that seems very obviously against the rules and you feel ignored, certainly don't just sit by and accept it, send off a PM.

~*BGT*~
10-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Is calling someone "stupid and not capable of basic comprehension" an insult and subject to infraction? ;)

Okonsky
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Is calling someone "stupid and not capable of basic comprehension" an insult and subject to infraction? ;)

I know 2 members who had 2 days reds for word stupid. Nonetheless, it's insult wherever, whenever...

Deboogle!.
10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Is calling someone "stupid and not capable of basic comprehension" an insult and subject to infraction? ;)I would say so. did you report the post?

~*BGT*~
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I would say so. did you report the post?

I will now. :)

MagicMilan
11-17-2008, 02:42 AM
GM is a total mess right now. I am a Novak fan but I'm not defending some of the posts sent there. I expect of the mods to act correctly and give an infraction or a warning for all that crossed the line tonight. Involving politics is becoming more and more frequent. Many of the Serbs here were overdramatic about Nole's win in Shanghai but there's no need in pointing that Serbia's economics sucks :rolleyes:
Please act properly so that this kind of chaos wouldn't appear again :)

~Maya~
11-17-2008, 02:49 AM
GM is a total mess right now. I am a Novak fan but I'm not defending some of the posts sent there. I expect of the mods to act correctly and give an infraction or a warning for all that crossed the line tonight. Involving politics is becoming more and more frequent. Many of the Serbs here were overdramatic about Nole's win in Shanghai but there's no need in pointing that Serbia's economics sucks :rolleyes:
Please act properly so that this kind of chaos wouldn't appear again :)

Toko is back.

Snowwy
11-17-2008, 04:11 AM
Novak's fans act like him..no respect at all.

~Maya~
11-17-2008, 04:27 AM
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/hasty-generalization.html

tangerine_dream
11-19-2008, 07:19 PM
I find it ridiculous that something as relatively mild like this would be worth an infraction.

Naranoc
11-19-2008, 07:55 PM
The problem is that MTF's gone from one extreme to another, in terms of the attitude towards flaming and insults. Come on, dishing out infractions for using 'buffoon' and 'stupid'? That's not a problem in the most uptight of message boards.

tangerine_dream
11-19-2008, 10:43 PM
The problem is that MTF's gone from one extreme to another, in terms of the attitude towards flaming and insults. Come on, dishing out infractions for using 'buffoon' and 'stupid'? That's not a problem in the most uptight of message boards.
And "moron". I've seen a few posters complain about receiving infractions for calling somebody a moron. This is everyday trash talk on a sports board by passionate fans, hardly worth a red card infraction.

There needs to be some common sense applied to the moderation of this board: moving/closing threads is needed, but harassing people with infractions over minor words or insults said in everyday conversation is going overboard.

El Legenda
11-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Rick james, bitch.

Deboogle!.
11-20-2008, 03:19 PM
And for every person like you guys who complains about it, there's at least one person who contacts us privately to tell us they appreciate the work that we're doing to try to help MTF be a place where people don't have to be called names for talking about a sport. And they do it in private b/c they don't want to be flamed for being a sensitive pansy on top of it. Can't please everyone.

Naranoc
11-20-2008, 06:58 PM
And for every person like you guys who complains about it, there's at least one person who contacts us privately to tell us they appreciate the work that we're doing to try to help MTF be a place where people don't have to be called names for talking about a sport. And they do it in private b/c they don't want to be flamed for being a sensitive pansy on top of it. Can't please everyone.

What about when the insults are between two posters who clearly won't be contacting the moderators about the insults, or who know each other well and are just taking the piss? Shouldn't there be some discretion exercised in the case of the long-timers who just take it all in their stride, as opposed to trying to set down absolute rules in such a diverse forum as this one?

Deboogle!.
11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I honestly have no idea what the thought process is behind the moderation of GM and these insults and how they determine what to delete and who to warn, etc. The GM mods are clearly labeled, so you can ask them directly if you really want to know what happened in a particular case. Of course, the mods are humans and must think about each thing before they delete it or give a warning. Very rarely do we just indiscriminately delete posts or parts of posts and I really don't think any mods give warnings without thinking about them and making sure they are deserved. And sometimes we all make mistakes and in those instances, infractions and other moderated activities (like merged threads, etc.) have been reversed. We are not perfect, we are just trying to do the best we can to make this place enjoyable. If people cannot enjoy themselves without resorting to personal insults, then frankly I feel quite sorry for them because that's a little pathetic. And because we can't please everyone, we have to make the decision to err on one side or another, and over the past year or so we have begun erring on the side of no insults. If we have to make a choice, I would certainly support being too protective of people than not protective enough. I've been on lots of boards where any hint of an argument or insult is shot down and closed immediately. People here were just too used to saying and doing whatever the hell they wanted for so long that now that we have a whole team in place to go through rules and enforce them, people are unhappy that all of a sudden they are facing consequences for the things they say to people on here. If it had been like this from the beginning, I doubt there would be this much complaining. And frankly, just because the word "moron" or "stupid" or whatever seems harmless to me or you or whoever, doesn't mean it's harmless to the person it was directed at. And frankly that's all that matters. When I was little and my dad used to tease me about certain things that upset me, I would yell at him and tell him it doesn't matter if he was just kidding because he upset me. I think the last thing anyone here wants (except maybe a few of the rudest people we've got) is for people to not want to come to MTF or not want to come to certain sub-forums because they feel like they can't say anything without being insulted. That's no fun for anyone, except those who derive some sadistic pleasure from being mean to people through the internet.

If two people are going back and forth at each other, I believe that both people get warnings. The overall point is that MTF - well, GM specifically - has become, for many of us, intolerable because every thread degrades into these insults and even for those who may not be involved in the back and forth insulting, it affects our enjoyment and use of MTF because it's just impossible to have any civil discussion about anything. Many people enjoy tennis and come to MTF to escape the crap going on in their lives and the last thing they need and deserve is to be insulted - even if it's a minor insult - for their opinion about a sport, which in the scheme of most of our lives is pretty meaningless. Certain members have taken it upon themselves to insult anyone who dares disagree with them or dares support a player they don't like, and if warning and then banning people makes this place an overall more enjoyable place for the rest of us, I am all for that and so are a lot of other people. And if it's a sparring match between two people, they don't have to pollute the board for the rest of us, they can insult each other back and forth via PM or on some IM software.

El Legenda
11-21-2008, 12:13 AM
that may be the longest non copy/paste post i've ever seen :yeah:

DhammaTiger
11-21-2008, 01:28 AM
I honestly have no idea what the thought process is behind the moderation of GM and these insults and how they determine what to delete and who to warn, etc. The GM mods are clearly labeled, so you can ask them directly if you really want to know what happened in a particular case. Of course, the mods are humans and must think about each thing before they delete it or give a warning. Very rarely do we just indiscriminately delete posts or parts of posts and I really don't think any mods give warnings without thinking about them and making sure they are deserved. And sometimes we all make mistakes and in those instances, infractions and other moderated activities (like merged threads, etc.) have been reversed. We are not perfect, we are just trying to do the best we can to make this place enjoyable. If people cannot enjoy themselves without resorting to personal insults, then frankly I feel quite sorry for them because that's a little pathetic. And because we can't please everyone, we have to make the decision to err on one side or another, and over the past year or so we have begun erring on the side of no insults. If we have to make a choice, I would certainly support being too protective of people than not protective enough. I've been on lots of boards where any hint of an argument or insult is shot down and closed immediately. People here were just too used to saying and doing whatever the hell they wanted for so long that now that we have a whole team in place to go through rules and enforce them, people are unhappy that all of a sudden they are facing consequences for the things they say to people on here. If it had been like this from the beginning, I doubt there would be this much complaining. And frankly, just because the word "moron" or "stupid" or whatever seems harmless to me or you or whoever, doesn't mean it's harmless to the person it was directed at. And frankly that's all that matters. When I was little and my dad used to tease me about certain things that upset me, I would yell at him and tell him it doesn't matter if he was just kidding because he upset me. I think the last thing anyone here wants (except maybe a few of the rudest people we've got) is for people to not want to come to MTF or not want to come to certain sub-forums because they feel like they can't say anything without being insulted. That's no fun for anyone, except those who derive some sadistic pleasure from being mean to people through the internet.

If two people are going back and forth at each other, I believe that both people get warnings. The overall point is that MTF - well, GM specifically - has become, for many of us, intolerable because every thread degrades into these insults and even for those who may not be involved in the back and forth insulting, it affects our enjoyment and use of MTF because it's just impossible to have any civil discussion about anything. Many people enjoy tennis and come to MTF to escape the crap going on in their lives and the last thing they need and deserve is to be insulted - even if it's a minor insult - for their opinion about a sport, which in the scheme of most of our lives is pretty meaningless. Certain members have taken it upon themselves to insult anyone who dares disagree with them or dares support a player they don't like, and if warning and then banning people makes this place an overall more enjoyable place for the rest of us, I am all for that and so are a lot of other people. And if it's a sparring match between two people, they don't have to pollute the board for the rest of us, they can insult each other back and forth via PM or on some IM software.

Thank you very much for your explanation. I agree with you 100%. For me, G.M, has become totally intolerable and so, I don't even lurk there. I just stick to chat threads and player forums, but that is not the reason I joined this board that is not for. The deterioration of G.M had made it impossible for me to read threads without getting stressed at the horrible fights and insults that keeps going on. Thank you and all the mods for trying to make this board enjoyable again. :bigclap:

JolánGagó
11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Sometimes something is really rude in a particular culture/country/language/etc and the mod reading it wouldn't necessarily get that. So reporting something you come across is always helpful:)

That's absurd. What you're saying is basically that anyone can claim anything to be offensive cuz, you know, "little flower" is the worst thing you can say to a girl in my little village in Antigua&Barbuda countryside :rolleyes:

JolánGagó
11-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I find it ridiculous that something as relatively mild like this would be worth an infraction.

I fully agree.

its.like.that
11-21-2008, 01:56 PM
What about when the insults are between two posters who clearly won't be contacting the moderators about the insults, or who know each other well and are just taking the piss? Shouldn't there be some discretion exercised in the case of the long-timers who just take it all in their stride, as opposed to trying to set down absolute rules in such a diverse forum as this one?

I don't think that the MTF mods are so forward thinking.

;)

Deboogle!.
11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
That's absurd. What you're saying is basically that anyone can claim anything to be offensive cuz, you know, "little flower" is the worst thing you can say to a girl in my little village in Antigua&Barbuda countryside :rolleyes:oh come on, of course not anything under the sun would be actioned against, way to exaggerate my post. But there are certain words and certain insults that it is very common knowledge that people find offensive. And you know what, if someone from your village was here, and someone called her "little flower" and it bothered her a lot, then yes, I would hope that it would not be allowed here. I think it's pathetic that some people here can't have a conversation without insulting people, and I think it's sad that you guys are so concerned with being allowed to insult people. :shrug: if people who complained about the moderation spend 1/3 of that time treating people here with minimal respect, we wouldn't even have these issues.

DhammaTiger
11-21-2008, 07:26 PM
oh come on, of course not anything under the sun would be actioned against, way to exaggerate my post. But there are certain words and certain insults that it is very common knowledge that people find offensive. And you know what, if someone from your village was here, and someone called her "little flower" and it bothered her a lot, then yes, I would hope that it would not be allowed here. I think it's pathetic that some people here can't have a conversation without insulting people, and I think it's sad that you guys are so concerned with being allowed to insult people. :shrug: if people who complained about the moderation spend 1/3 of that time treating people here with minimal respect, we wouldn't even have these issues.

:worship::worship:

Denaon
11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Yes I would sum this up to lack of respect...but that's not a thing moderation can fix...sadly.
People in all contexts should have respect for the others...period.

~*BGT*~
11-23-2008, 12:04 AM
I fully agree.

Of course you agree; you're the one who said it.

scoobs
11-23-2008, 01:43 PM
that's my case, I explain... Bilbo (certificated Berdych's hater) vs Interlaken (certificated Berdych's adorer) just have a look at our resp. siggie :cool:

So please tell me why, oh why ... suddenly mod Scoobs jumping of nowhere gave me a red card *hey people, not a yellow card... a red one!* and was clearly on Bilbo's side.

Since I am on mtf (2004) Bilbo never sent me a bad rep and I never badrepped him. It's "our" business, like an old couple. :angel: pfff it's not the case of Dylan24 who badrepped me -early in 2004- with this comment "I hate Berdych".
Oh my GOD won't you get over it? :lol:

Bilbo said something you didn't like about the player you like, you attacked Bilbo repeatedly. At first I just deleted your attacks but you kept going, didn't get the message, and so you got red carded.

I'm sorry I lost so early in the ACC so you couldn't keep voting for me.

As for using discretion - who's going to maintain a list of who is allowed to be attacked and who has to be protected by moderation? That sort of double standard just won't work. Yes there are people here who deliberately try to aggravate other posters, you don't have to respond to them. Don't lose your temper with someone on the forum then blame me for it when I clean up the mess and enforce the rules.

scoobs
11-23-2008, 01:50 PM
oh come on, of course not anything under the sun would be actioned against, way to exaggerate my post. But there are certain words and certain insults that it is very common knowledge that people find offensive. And you know what, if someone from your village was here, and someone called her "little flower" and it bothered her a lot, then yes, I would hope that it would not be allowed here. I think it's pathetic that some people here can't have a conversation without insulting people, and I think it's sad that you guys are so concerned with being allowed to insult people. :shrug: if people who complained about the moderation spend 1/3 of that time treating people here with minimal respect, we wouldn't even have these issues.
People spend all their time whining about the mods because the mods won't allow them to be rude and insulting, deliberately offensive to other posters in discussions about tennis in GM.

It all seems to stem from the idea that mods like spending all of our time deleting posts, handing out warnings, telling people to act like adults. I'd be far happier if I could spend my time in GM talking about tennis rather than cleaning up swamps of abuse. I get no pleasure from doing it. But there are posters who use the site who do want to talk about tennis in a civil way and I don't see why they should be driven off because others want the right to behave as rudely as they like.

l_mac
11-23-2008, 01:59 PM
People spend all their time whining about the mods because the mods won't allow them to be rude and insulting, deliberately offensive to other posters in discussions about tennis in GM.

It all seems to stem from the idea that mods like spending all of our time deleting posts, handing out warnings, telling people to act like adults. I'd be far happier if I could spend my time in GM talking about tennis rather than cleaning up swamps of abuse. I get no pleasure from doing it. But there are posters who use the site who do want to talk about tennis in a civil way and I don't see why they should be driven off because others want the right to behave as rudely as they like.

scoobs, maybe you could resurrect your super-duper "Thread Where We can Discuss the Result like Adults" idea from the 2007 FO and WImbledon finals :worship: I bet now you're a mod you are even better at smugly patting yourself on the back :D Then the rest of the GM children can go crazy.

(please don't infract me for this, scoobs and I are old buddies :) :D)

scoobs
11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
scoobs, maybe you could resurrect your super-duper "Thread Where We can Discuss the Result like Adults" idea from the 2007 FO and WImbledon finals :worship: I bet now you're a mod you are even better at smugly patting yourself on the back :D Then the rest of the GM children can go crazy.

(please don't infract me for this, scoobs and I are old buddies :) :D)
I have no mod power in this part of the forum :)

l_mac
11-23-2008, 02:02 PM
I didn't think you would infract me, silly.

scoobs
11-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I didn't think you would infract me, silly.
Maybe you don't know me that well ;)

l_mac
11-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Or maybe I know you better than you know yourself ;)

You never responded to my suggestion to improve everyone's GM experience.

scoobs
11-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Or maybe I know you better than you know yourself ;)

You never responded to my suggestion to improve everyone's GM experience.
Well ideally I'd like the actual match result thread to be where people discuss the actual tennis in the match and discuss it like adults.

Maybe this is unrealistic.

l_mac
11-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Well ideally I'd like the actual match result thread to be where people discuss the actual tennis in the match and discuss it like adults.

Maybe?

People need somewhere to let off steam. A lot of people here are very passionate in both their likes and dislikes. I know it's not an excuse to abuse fellow posters, but an overly PC MTF would be very, very boring.

shotgun
11-23-2008, 03:01 PM

scoobs
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
@ scoobs you're a wonderful mod :yeah: and the main reason I leave mtf
that's entirely your decision, if you feel you are above the rules and cannot accept them gracefully. I have imposed red cards on other people for the first time, who have accepted it with far less fuss. I stand by the decisions I took and your response to it is entirely your business.

Deboogle!.
11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Maybe?

People need somewhere to let off steam. A lot of people here are very passionate in both their likes and dislikes. I know it's not an excuse to abuse fellow posters, but an overly PC MTF would be very, very boring.I let off steam all the time in my life - about all kinds of things.... but I never insult people who have not caused my displeasure. the rules - and the way the GM mods have been enforcing them - leave PLENTY of room for letting off steam. The rules are trying to curb the offensive behavior. If people can't let off steam without being offensive to others, that's really not MTF or the mods' problem. there are many sub-forums and big threads on this board where people are passionate about their likes and dislikes, and where they don't always get along, but they are not places where people insult each other, and I don't find those places boring at all. No one's talking about being overly PC. Just a minimal level of human respect.

rocketassist
11-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I let off steam all the time in my life - about all kinds of things.... but I never insult people who have not caused my displeasure. the rules - and the way the GM mods have been enforcing them - leave PLENTY of room for letting off steam. The rules are trying to curb the offensive behavior. If people can't let off steam without being offensive to others, that's really not MTF or the mods' problem. there are many sub-forums and big threads on this board where people are passionate about their likes and dislikes, and where they don't always get along, but they are not places where people insult each other, and I don't find those places boring at all. No one's talking about being overly PC. Just a minimal level of human respect.

A mod could kill someone in cold blooded rage with a pick axe and you'd still defend it. :lol:

You can tell things haven't been organised well when the main GM mod is a favourite to win the ACC.

scoobs
11-23-2008, 10:09 PM
A mod could kill someone in cold blooded rage with a pick axe and you'd still defend it. :lol:

You can tell things haven't been organised well when the main GM mod is a favourite to win the ACC.
All that tells me is that people bear silly grudges.

Any decision that causes controversy is reviewed by all of us so if it stands it's because we all agree to it.

Trying to single out one mod out of all of them is unfair and unnecessary.

rocketassist
11-23-2008, 10:31 PM

Any decision that causes controversy is reviewed by all of us so if it stands it's because we all agree to it.

It wasn't at first though. That's a good decision by the mods. But all I read is Deb writing some whiny essay time and time again about the mods doing their best and that they are exempt from criticism.

If every controversial decision is reviewed, why hasn't RL been relieved of its mod powers yet?

HeretiC
11-23-2008, 10:39 PM

I'd like that too and that is the reason why I joined MTF. So far I have been dragged into few useless quarrels (I hate wasting time on the internet board exchanging insults), but somehow there are a lot of "skilled" posters who can pull my strings and make me respond (at least I am trying to maintain my level not to drop too low). Maybe I am getting too old for things like this or maybe I just don't understand how that concept of "letting steam" works for anyone. Or maybe they are trying to "let off the steam" in a totally wrong way and in the wrong place. I don't have much people around me in real life with whom I am able to discuss about tennis(not even the players in the club knows much about tennis, players, results, styles etc.) without the danger of being boring to death to them and I thought that this place can indulge my desire to talk about tennis. I am not very satisfied with the results so far cause in this place tennis talk has only a support role. :shrug:

scoobs
11-23-2008, 10:49 PM
It wasn't at first though. That's a good decision by the mods. But all I read is Deb writing some whiny essay time and time again about the mods doing their best and that they are exempt from criticism.

If every controversial decision is reviewed, why hasn't RL been relieved of its mod powers yet?
Deb spends far more time patiently trying to explain what gets done and why to people, than one person should have to, especially considering the ill-mannered tone of post that often accompanies such questions. I reached the point a while back where I won't answer peoples' queries unless they can be bothered to be something approaching polite. She doesn't have to answer these questions but she chooses to - she'd be well within her rights to just walk away.

And there's no need to relieve anyone of their mod powers. I and the other mods in GM and elsewhere support all members of the team. We review each others' decisions, we have many discussions on how to handle particular situations and we stand by that approach. I think it's pretty sad that people continue to try and imply that one particular mod or another is a problem. People have the option of contacting myself, one of the other mods, or the admins if they have specific issues concerning specific decisions that have been taken. Otherwise, this generalized sniping achieves absolutely nothing and it's certainly not going to bring about any changes to the mod team.

You know, it's really very simple - when you join MTF you agree with creating your account to abide by the rules of the site. The GM rules are clearly posted in GM and the overall site rules are posted in the board info/discussion section. These rules are being applied as fairly and diligently as they can be. All we ask is that people assist by reporting posts that they feel breach the rules, and to raise any concerns with how moderation is being handled in PMs to the mods or the admins, who will then discuss them and make a call.

Nobody forces people to post on this board and if they feel incapable of operating within those guidelines (which are hardly repressive), then I don't know why they don't try and find a board that is more to their liking in terms of freedom to do whatever they want to do, rather than stay here and basically act like the mods are the enemy for having the sheer nerve to try to enforce the rules that have been spelled out for all.

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 12:45 AM

If every controversial decision is reviewed, why hasn't RL been relieved of its mod powers yet?Excuse me? Do not put words into my mouth. I have never EVER said the mods should be exempt from criticism. See, we criticize each other. I am the first to admit that and the other mods are surely sick and tired of me giving my opinions about things on areas of the board I do not moderate. Criticism is fine, but it's pointless when people are not even thinking about what they are saying and just complaining about the same things over and over. And also, we discuss these things in a supportive environment without the insults and false accusations and other such stuff so rampant across the rest of MTF. As for RL, perhaps he hasn't been "relieved" because most of us actually support his quest to try to make GM a less cruel place? Is he perfect? no, he has made mistakes and has openly admitted to them. But he is trying like hell and is taking all sorts of shit for it. That makes him a lot more gutsy, mature, and respectable than all of you who have to insult people in order to get your point across. He takes it like a man, doesn't fight back, and keeps up his hard work. And for that he earns my utmost respect on this board.
Deb spends far more time patiently trying to explain what gets done and why to people, than one person should have to, especially considering the ill-mannered tone of post that often accompanies such questions. I reached the point a while back where I won't answer peoples' queries unless they can be bothered to be something approaching polite. She doesn't have to answer these questions but she chooses to - she'd be well within her rights to just walk away.

And there's no need to relieve anyone of their mod powers. I and the other mods in GM and elsewhere support all members of the team. We review each others' decisions, we have many discussions on how to handle particular situations and we stand by that approach. I think it's pretty sad that people continue to try and imply that one particular mod or another is a problem. People have the option of contacting myself, one of the other mods, or the admins if they have specific issues concerning specific decisions that have been taken. Otherwise, this generalized sniping achieves absolutely nothing and it's certainly not going to bring about any changes to the mod team.

You know, it's really very simple - when you join MTF you agree with creating your account to abide by the rules of the site. The GM rules are clearly posted in GM and the overall site rules are posted in the board info/discussion section. These rules are being applied as fairly and diligently as they can be. All we ask is that people assist by reporting posts that they feel breach the rules, and to raise any concerns with how moderation is being handled in PMs to the mods or the admins, who will then discuss them and make a call.

Nobody forces people to post on this board and if they feel incapable of operating within those guidelines (which are hardly repressive), then I don't know why they don't try and find a board that is more to their liking in terms of freedom to do whatever they want to do, rather than stay here and basically act like the mods are the enemy for having the sheer nerve to try to enforce the rules that have been spelled out for all.Thank you :hug: agree whole-heartedly with your post.

Castafiore
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
People need somewhere to let off steam. A lot of people here are very passionate in both their likes and dislikes. I know it's not an excuse to abuse fellow posters, but an overly PC MTF would be very, very boring.
True, but I do think that MTF could use a better balance than there is right now.

Most match threads are beyond the "letting off steam" stage IMO.

JolánGagó
11-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Of course you agree; you're the one who said it.

Me? I dunno what you're talking about, read properly please.

JolánGagó
11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd be far happier if I could spend my time in GM talking about tennis rather than cleaning up swamps of abuse. I get no pleasure from doing it.

Oh for God's sake spare us the bullshit. If you'd be far happier talking about tennis, then why the hell aren't you doing so? No one is forcing that moderating torture upon you and if you ask me you seem to be enjoying it quite a lot.

JolánGagó
11-24-2008, 12:25 PM

Bullshit of the highest caliber.

Did all of you have to agree every and each time RagingLamb choose to delete or edit to his/her full liking at least 50% of the daily GM production? Do all of you have to agree everytime nanny-mod scoobs suddenly interrupts an adult consensual discussion to remind everyone involved about all the petty rules they're oh-so-outrageously breaking?

scoobs
11-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Bullshit of the highest caliber.

Did all of you have to agree every and each time RagingLamb choose to delete or edit to his/her full liking at least 50% of the daily GM production? Do all of you have to agree everytime nanny-mod scoobs suddenly interrupts an adult consensual discussion to remind everyone involved about all the petty rules they're oh-so-outrageously breaking?
Again, nobody's forcing you to be here. If you don't like the "petty rules", don't post here. It's not that hard. If you do want to post here, you're stuck with the rules, complain all you want, and blame the mods all you want. As for your opinion of me and other mods, I'm just not interested.

I said any decision that causes controversy, you'll notice.

A lot of the decisions to clean up peoples' offensive or obnoxious behaviour is not controversial in the least and the same decision would very likely be taken by any of the mods who came upon the issue.

HeretiC
04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
:bigclap:I got my first infraction from RL for The Curious Case of Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer thread for this post.:

I don't care what will be the outcome of the third. Already took some sedatives after the first set 6-3.;)
and it was posted well deep into the third set.

However, a question for RL, did you give infractions to all those people before me who mentioned the result as I did and more important did you do the same in the Roddick abuses the umpire right now thread with 150 posts in it all of them discussing about a live match? :haha:That is a hell of a lot of infractions. :yeah:

l_mac
04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Why on earth is that worthy of an infraction?

HeretiC
04-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Why on earth is that worthy of an infraction?

No idea, probably RL counted it as ongoing match discussion.

RagingLamb
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
However, a question for RL, did you give infractions to all those people before me who mentioned the result as I did

Yes.

and more important did you do the same in the Roddick abuses the umpire right now thread with 150 posts in it all of them discussing about a live match?

No, I didn't read that thread.

HeretiC
04-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes.

No, I didn't read that thread.

Well, you should have, that was live reporting at its best and it stayed quite long, day or even more (not sure). You would have the satisfaction to deliver hundreds of infractions to all of us.

RagingLamb
04-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I get no pleasure from handing out infractions.

The only pleasure I get is from reading people's responses to them.

Lee
04-03-2009, 01:50 AM
There are 2 threads on GM talking about a live match right now. :p

HeretiC
04-03-2009, 02:24 AM
I get no pleasure from handing out infractions.

The only pleasure I get is from reading people's responses to them.

That is the same, so you are giving infractions to posters to find a pleasure while reading their responses.:eek:
That indicates that you are forcing unjustified infractions because on those ones would surely be some responses?
Are you a sadist???:confused:

There are 2 threads on GM talking about a live match right now. :p

Not 2, there are 4-5 threads with discussions about live matches in them. Did you do anything about it Raging Lamb?

RagingLamb
04-03-2009, 02:36 AM
That is the same, so you are giving infractions to posters to find a pleasure while reading their responses.:eek:
That indicates that you are forcing unjustified infractions because on those ones would surely be some responses?
Are you a sadist???:confused:

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

Not 2, there are 4-5 threads with discussions about live matches in them. Did you do anything about it Raging Lamb?

Nope. I will only take action in threads where you are discussing live matches.

l_mac
04-03-2009, 02:49 AM
RagingLamb :rocker2:

HeretiC
04-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Yes, that's exactly what it is.

Nope. I will only take action in threads where you are discussing live matches.

Actually I never had an intention to do that but I can do you a favor so you can give me few more infractions if you like. Anything to increase your pleasure stimulation. :yeah:

P.S With this kind of answers you are supose to be a mature, impartial and responsible moderator? Jesus, I was so wrong when I said that in time you might became a good moderator. :smash:

~Maya~
04-03-2009, 03:35 AM
HC, why did you even come here to complain? You know very well that discussing a live match in GM is against the rules. Is this developing into another Interlaken drama?

HeretiC
04-03-2009, 03:52 AM
HC, why did you even come here to complain? You know very well that discussing a live match in GM is against the rules. Is this developing into another Interlaken drama?

:lol: No way, although I wasn't discussing in that post about the match, I was talking about sedatives, I was kinda excited that I finally got that famous infraction so I came here to show off. ;)
And I wasn't even going to write anything more about it, maybe expecting some sort of rational explanation from RL, but when I read his response I was too amazed not to answer to that.

~Maya~
04-03-2009, 04:16 AM
My understanding is that you should not be mentioning scores, and you did just that. I don't find anything wrong in his response to your original post. And then you went on and on pocking and provoking him. I think that you are a great poster, but I cannot say I am on your side here. I am quite surprised actually

HeretiC
04-03-2009, 10:53 AM
My understanding is that you should not be mentioning scores, and you did just that. I don't find anything wrong in his response to your original post. And then you went on and on pocking and provoking him. I think that you are a great poster, but I cannot say I am on your side here. I am quite surprised actually

You made me feel a bit :o, cause if you summarize this from the distance it kinda looks that way although that was not my intention in the first place.
Right from the start when the infraction system was introduced there was something bugging me and now I know from the personal experience what is it. I have a suggestion all of the infractions/bans to be public and viewable for all. In that way:

1. All posters will be closely familiarized with what exactly they may do or may not do through examples. Rules are one thing when you read them but since nothing is perfect they can be interpreted in a different ways in different situations.
2. We can all monitor if moderators are doing their job impartially or selectively with personal agenda as they were being accused many times before.
3. I do think that transparency in forcing the rules will largely contribute to a proper behavior for waste majority of posters and can't see any reasons why it shouldn't be implemented.

I hope super-mods and mods are going to take this suggestion into consideration and probably opinions of posters should be relevant too through a pool or something?

And for the end I do have a question for mods. Are all the mods in GM following the same policies and implementing the same line of moderating or different mods are in charge of different tasks?

Aurora
04-06-2009, 08:01 AM
HeretiC, if you read the rest of this thread you'd see Scoobs and Deb explaining that indeed the mods follow the same policies. They debate in their own forum about any doubts, severe actions and such.

Bans are made public -> see here (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=91035) (of course reasons are not always clear)

I can definitely agree with the advantages you mention of making infractions viewable - it'll make yummy reading too ;)

But on the other hand it will create room for complaints and endless rants when people start comparing. (They do that now too, but to a lesser degree I think).
Also, it'll give some people ideas or inspiration they wouldn't normally have come up with ;)

In the end, I think the rules are quite clear.
But I suggest a compromise: perhaps the mods can give some example posts or explain "standard" faults that are made time and again.
-> posters slow of understanding can get a grasp of what loopholes there are and frequent mistakes can be lessened a bit.

HeretiC
04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
HeretiC, if you read the rest of this thread you'd see Scoobs and Deb explaining that indeed the mods follow the same policies. They debate in their own forum about any doubts, severe actions and such.

Bans are made public -> see here (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=91035) (of course reasons are not always clear)

I can definitely agree with the advantages you mention of making infractions viewable - it'll make yummy reading too ;)

But on the other hand it will create room for complaints and endless rants when people start comparing. (They do that now too, but to a lesser degree I think).
Also, it'll give some people ideas or inspiration they wouldn't normally have come up with ;)

In the end, I think the rules are quite clear.
But I suggest a compromise: perhaps the mods can give some example posts or explain "standard" faults that are made time and again.
-> posters slow of understanding can get a grasp of what loopholes there are and frequent mistakes can be lessened a bit.

I know about the banned users thread but BG wasn't around and the post wasn't updated for a while (I can see now that carlita took over that).
The best contribution about public infractions would be preventing different posters making the same mistakes as others, not knowing that what they did also lead to an infraction to someone else and thus feeling like the certain mod is picking on them. With the method that it is now practiced, all of the posters are learning through their own experiences, with public infraction they will also learn through others experiences.
I can't agree that it will lead to an inspiration for some posters, what ideas they might be getting when they see that certain action will lead them to an infraction/ban?

Bascule
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I know about the banned users thread but BG wasn't around and the post wasn't updated for a while (I can see now that carlita took over that).
The best contribution about public infractions would be preventing different posters making the same mistakes as others, not knowing that what they did also lead to an infraction to someone else and thus feeling like the certain mod is picking on them. With the method that it is now practiced, all of the posters are learning through their own experiences, with public infraction they will also learn through others experiences.
I can't agree that it will lead to an inspiration for some posters, what ideas they might be getting when they see that certain action will lead them to an infraction/ban?

I also got the infraction for the first time (yellow) (does it expire at april the 16th), because I wrote: Fed needs now three games more, in the thread about Djoko's and Fed's identical results...Did everyone in that thread got the same infraction for the comments during Fed-Rod match? By the way, this is THE only page I could open for the whole day (database error).:wavey:

And, indeed, Heretic is one of the best posters and as tolerant as Voo is.:yeah:

openwong
04-07-2009, 07:58 AM
On the other hand what's the point of reporting a thread when nobody does anything about it until the fun has run its course and only then does a Mod step in and close it?

HeretiC
05-03-2009, 12:50 AM
I wonder how many infractions has been given in the Federer vs Djokovic WWW thread today?:scratch:

GugaF1
05-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Lol... This Glenmirny. Yesterday I made a regular comment praising Andre Agassi, in what was a very interesting thread about baseliners in the GM. Out of nowhere, this poster comes along and literally says `I am defending my lover` and that he must be my BF or something, Agassi. Just plain insulting, when I wasn`t even talking to him. Just discussing a legend of the game, about his baseline skills.

I report the post. Given, it was deleted. 2 hours later, Glen is all around the forum free as a bird to make the usual insults, again. So just straight calling someone a Homo, for talking nicely about a player that he must not like, is alright. Not really breaking the rules, just delete the post and move along. I Don`t think he got a warning or anything. I wonder what kind of direct insult must happen in order for someone to get disicplined.

I really don`t care about him getting banned. Is just that situations like these pollutes so much and doesn`t promote very thoughtful based discussions. Which this Forum has so much potential to.

Mimi
05-15-2009, 02:37 AM
he is always like that, i think he behaves a bit better now, he was even worst before ;)

jLol... This Glenmirny. Yesterday I made a regular comment praising Andre Agassi, in what was a very interesting thread about baseliners in the GM. Out of nowhere, this poster comes along and literally says `I am defending my lover` and that he must be my BF or something, Agassi. Just plain insulting, when I wasn`t even talking to him. Just discussing a legend of the game, about his baseline skills.

I report the post. Given, it was deleted. 2 hours later, Glen is all around the forum free as a bird to make the usual insults, again. So just straight calling someone a Homo, for talking nicely about a player that he must not like, is alright. Not really breaking the rules, just delete the post and move along. I Don`t think he got a warning or anything. I wonder what kind of direct insult must happen in order for someone to get disicplined.

I really don`t care about him getting banned. Is just that situations like these pollutes so much and doesn`t promote very thoughtful based discussions. Which this Forum has so much potential to.

Jōris
05-18-2009, 07:26 AM
It's a bit of a joke to receive an infraction from scoobs. I felt like pointing this out.

Okonsky
07-19-2009, 09:25 AM
It's a bit of a joke to receive an infraction from scoobs. I felt like pointing this out.

Please thank back:D

habibko
07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
question, does the warning/infraction ALWAYS stay on your profile page and Control Panel, I mean forever?

Zirconek
07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
question, does the warning/infraction ALWAYS stay on your profile page and Control Panel, I mean forever?

Yes, so mods can keep track of the warning/infraction record. Only mods and the user him/herself can see it.

These cards are not new, of course. But since the beginning of this year we started to actually use them because the infraction system technically matured and was continually developped by vBulletin which gives us more options for settings. Thus, manually handing out official warnings does hardly not exist anymore. The system will keep track of the infractions you're getting and you will be informed accordingly.

straitup
09-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Of course I get an infraction for posting about Dick Enberg, and then someone else posts the same exact thing and the thread is still there :o

RagingLamb
09-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Of course I get an infraction for posting about Dick Enberg, and then someone else posts the same exact thing and the thread is still there :o

Yes, sorry. I'll have it removed.

straitup
09-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes, sorry. I'll have it removed.

I'm not really mad about it, I don't usually do stupid things to get infractions. I just didn't think it made sense for there to be 2 identical threads with 1 taken away and the other still there

its.like.that
10-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Could somebody please update the banned users list - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=91035

many thanks!

Sofonda Cox
10-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Could somebody please update the banned users list - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=91035

many thanks!

who's missing?

Ozone
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
I am very disappointed that chowdeahead25 got banned a month for "wishing death upon a player." Obviosly, anyone with a brain can read that he was obviously joking, but of course mtf has to be official and ban him. I understand the system you guys have but it disappoints me that he is banned for a month that means our TT season cant be finished when you can move the ban, and still keep it a month, through December instead of through November.

Sofonda Cox
10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
I am very disappointed that chowdeahead25 got banned a month for "wishing death upon a player." Obviosly, anyone with a brain can read that he was obviously joking, but of course mtf has to be official and ban him. I understand the system you guys have but it disappoints me that he is banned for a month that means our TT season cant be finished when you can move the ban, and still keep it a month, through December instead of through November.

you're like a broken record repeating the same thing continually

Sapeod
10-30-2009, 07:51 PM
who's missing?
tea, chowdahead25, and also everko and the gamblers are back...

Ozone
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
you're like a broken record repeating the same thing continually
Ok. I do realize that and I dont care at all. I am trying to help my friend who got punished because of a stupid reason. I will keep repeating it for all I care. Thanks for pointing out the obvious:wavey:

Carlita
10-30-2009, 10:32 PM

1. this is not something to "joke" about and it's not a stupid reason for a ban. Everyone is complaining about inconsistancy of the mods... so if we let him off the hook because of TT, while we let poster X stay in the ban for the same "offence", what does that say?

2. regarding TT: he should have thought about it before posting, it's not like he's the first to be banned for this kind of thing....so don't blame the mods for messing up TT, blame chowdeahead.... and Im sure there are more people who can step in to finish TT.

3. If we let everyone choose their time to be banned, what is the use of banning? Immediate banning hopefully makes a point and will stop it from happening again.

You had already been told this in another part of the forum, you got another answer here, so please let it go now, there is nothing you can do about it.

Ozone
10-31-2009, 03:24 AM
Have I mentioned how I think chowdahead25's ban should be moved??

:lol: Just kidding. I am just trying to help my buddy out. You guys do a fine job.

rocketassist
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
chowdahead should have got 6 months not 1.

Aenea
07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
When you ban a double account what happens to the original account? Does it get closed as well or the poster can still use it? I saw you perma banned a username for being a double account but as no other username was banned with the same reason I get the impression the original account is still active.
And how do you decide a username is a double account? Is it based on the IP address only or you have additional proves? Because if it is only the IP address it is not good enough a reason.

DualMedia
07-22-2010, 08:29 AM
When you ban a double account what happens to the original account? Does it get closed as well or the poster can still use it? I saw you perma banned a username for being a double account but as no other username was banned with the same reason I get the impression the original account is still active.
And how do you decide a username is a double account? Is it based on the IP address only or you have additional proves? Because if it is only the IP address it is not good enough a reason.

Mods, please answer!

Carlita
07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Mods, please answer!easy! :rolleyes:

it's not that simple to answer...coz it all depends on the "why" a double account was made.

-forgot password so I make a new one
-got banned so I make a new one
-want to cheat at the games so I make a new one

to name some examples....and there are more...so we look at each separately.

so depending on the why, both get banned...or one gets "banned" the other gets 2 weeks (minimum) for making a double account, or just one gets banned and the original one stays.

DualMedia
07-22-2010, 06:07 PM
ok! thanks, so there is more to the story!

thanks!

Sunset of Age
07-23-2010, 02:42 AM
it's not that simple to answer...coz it all depends on the "why" a double account was made.

-forgot password so I make a new one
-got banned so I make a new one
-want to cheat at the games so I make a new one

to name some examples....and there are more...so we look at each separately.

so depending on the why, both get banned...or one gets "banned" the other gets 2 weeks (minimum) for making a double account, or just one gets banned and the original one stays.

And once again, sorry to say so, the 'I make a double account just to stirr up nastiness and lure certain posters into trouble'-factor completely gets denied. Not for the first time.

How about not just judging the mere exact wordings of certain posters - however bad they might be - , but even more, their intentions as well, for a change? ~sigh~

Carlita
07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
And once again, sorry to say so, the 'I make a double account just to stirr up nastiness and lure certain posters into trouble'-factor completely gets denied. Not for the first time.

How about not just judging the mere exact wordings of certain posters - however bad they might be - , but even more, their intentions as well, for a change? ~sigh~ I just named a FEW reasons to make another account...there are actually more than 4 :rolleyes: ... so that one is not being denied.....

Im not going to name them all in here because I have more things to do.... and every "case" is different 9 out of 10 times.....so the list would be miles long...:shrug:

my post was just to say that there are lot of reasons to make a double account, and a lot of reasons make lots of ways to deal with it...so that's why we look at each thing separately.

DualMedia
07-23-2010, 11:34 PM

answer please!

Carlita
07-24-2010, 07:57 AM
we have different tools to work with, so don't worry...if it's a double we will know (and check) and no Im not going to explain and tell you how it all works :p

Lopez
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
This is probably not the right place to ask but maybe I'll get an answer... What are grey reps? Some users have given me those.

Eden
03-09-2011, 02:11 PM
This is probably not the right place to ask but maybe I'll get an answer... What are grey reps? Some users have given me those.

You get grey reps from people who are new on the forum or don't have that many posts.