The "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 2007 DC thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 2007 DC thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Deboogle!.
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Oy vey.

1st Round: at Czech Republic
QF: Switzerland (most likely... or Spain) at home :unsure:

no sense looking past that.

partygirl
09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Should make for quite the triumph.

renee_chin
09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh, I didn't even take note about the 07 DC draw :o

Any idea what kind of surface the Czechs may choose? Indoor carpet? Indoor clay?!

Deboogle!.
09-28-2006, 03:32 PM
uuuuuummmmmmmmmmm I'm sure it'll be clay :lol:

renee_chin
09-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Righto :sobbing:

J. Corwin
09-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Oy vey.

1st Round: at Czech Republic
QF: (most likely) at Switzerland :unsure:

no sense looking past that.

Roger can only play 2 of the 4 singles matches. :p The Bryans should pull out the doubles and Andy and James and whoever should be able to take out Wawrinka and co., right? :p:o

Black Adam
09-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I am more worried by the Czechs than the Swiss. Switzerland or Spain will be at home and all we need is the Bryans to win their match and then Andy and James must kick the Swiss number two.

Deboogle!.
09-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Switzerland wouldn't be at home, would it? Didn't we host switzerland at some point? Well that would be a little different, though they'd still be tough, but at least we could beat Wawrinka on a home surface maybe :sobbing: I didn't even check before I posted to be honest.

The Czechs on clay away will be tough to beat - Stepanek and Berdych and they're not bad at doubles either :unsure:

MisterQ
09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Davis Cup 2008

USA vs. Mongolia (Yanks v. Yurts)
USA vs. Vatican City (The Holy and the Helpless)
USA vs. Papua New Guinea (Loser is dinner)

Deboogle!.
09-28-2006, 04:32 PM
OMG MATT :haha: :haha: :haha: :worship:

Winston's Human
09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Switzerland wouldn't be at home, would it? Didn't we host switzerland at some point? Well that would be a little different, though they'd still be tough, but at least we could beat Wawrinka on a home surface maybe :sobbing: I didn't even check before I posted to be honest.

The Czechs on clay away will be tough to beat - Stepanek and Berdych and they're not bad at doubles either :unsure:

We played in Switzerland in 2001. I think it was Andy's Davis Cup premiere.

We last hosted Switzerland in 1992 in the finals in Fort Worth -- which I can safely say is the only time I have been in the same building as Andy.

knight_ley
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Deb I like the title :yeah:

Deboogle!.
09-28-2006, 04:59 PM
oh ok thanks Steve, I will edit my first post :)

knight_ley
09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Who plays for Czech?

Deboogle!.
09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Stepanek, Berdych, and they have some doubles players

knight_ley
09-28-2006, 05:06 PM
OOOH. I think we can take it. I think they should let Vinnay Ice play though. He's the missing key to us winning the Davis Cup. :p

acoffeygirl
09-28-2006, 07:56 PM
OOOH. I think we can take it. I think they should let Vinnay Ice play though. He's the missing key to us winning the Davis Cup. :p

:haha: :spit:

Tytta!.
09-28-2006, 08:46 PM

hahahahahaha :haha: :haha: :haha: riiiiight :yeah: :sobbing:

morningglory
09-28-2006, 10:04 PM
omgoodness :unsure: what a draw!

snaillyyy
09-28-2006, 10:06 PM
:haha::spit::haha::spit: why hasn't PMac thought of this already:p

Tytta!.
09-28-2006, 10:18 PM
:haha::spit::haha::spit: why hasn't PMac thought of this already:p

PMAc isn't as smart as we are ;)

knight_ley
09-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I will start the petition to PMAC today.

Tytta!.
09-28-2006, 10:36 PM
I will start the petition to PMAC today.

:woohoo: ;)

MisterQ
09-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Davis Cup 2009

USA vs. Nepal (hitting a plateau on the plateau)
USA vs. Bhutan (Who's the Zen master NOW?)
USA vs. Djibouti (yeah, you just got Djibouti kicked!)

Deboogle!.
09-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Davis Cup 2009

USA vs. Djibouti (yeah, you just got Djibouti kicked!):haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :worship:

Tytta!.
09-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Davis Cup 2009

USA vs. Djibouti (yeah, you just got Djibouti kicked!)

LMFAO :haha: :haha: :haha:

merce
09-29-2006, 12:34 AM
It makes sense 'cause i'm feeling 2007 will be Andy's year :woohoo:

hope i didn't jinxed him or the USA team :bolt:

Johnny Groove
09-29-2006, 01:17 AM
USA-Spain QF :drool:

superpinkone37
09-29-2006, 01:27 AM
:haha::spit::haha::spit: why hasn't PMac thought of this already:p :haha:

cobalt60
09-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Matt you are just delicious :drool:

TwistedDesire.
09-29-2006, 02:08 AM
Davis Cup 2008

USA vs. Mongolia (Yanks v. Yurts)
USA vs. Vatican City (The Holy and the Helpless)
USA vs. Papua New Guinea (Loser is dinner)

LMAOO. :haha:

I like the title of this thread.
Don't particularily like the news it brings. :sad:

Havok
09-29-2006, 02:38 AM
I will be incredibly disgustined and lose so much respect for Federer if all of a sudden he finaly gives a shit about DC this year (since they drew Spain 1r and possibly USA 2r) and he shows up and plays them all. Beforehand he wouldn't give a flying fuck about his team in the main draw because he was selfish and wanted to keep his singles career in tack (only showing up to put his country back into the world group) and now he'll actually show up and play the DC. Anyways I see Spain making it to the QF and bye bye USA :sad:.

Deboogle!.
09-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Anyways I see Spain making it to the QF and bye bye USA :sad:.I'd be shocked if Spain can beat Switzerland on what wlil surely be a very fast indoor carpet surface (assuming Fed plays). I don't see why the US should lose to Spain at home (on something very fast.. grass?).....

Winston's Human
09-29-2006, 02:41 AM
USA-Spain QF :drool:

Surface choice: grass, carpet or ice?

Deboogle!.
09-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Surface choice: grass, carpet or ice?If they're smart, something that has a really really low bounce that won't take Rafa's spin. Carpet would probably actually better than grass (and easier).

Havok
09-29-2006, 02:52 AM
Oh they get to chose he surface in their QF matchup? I still see Spain winning that 1r tie even if Federer mysteriously decided to give a shit and show up. He has his 2 singles rubber wins locked up, but not the doubles. Obviously if Fed plays winning that dubs rubber will increase tenfold, but I'd give the Spaniards a slight edge in that event. USA can get to the semis, no matter if Swiss or Spain bring along Federer or Nadal, respectively. Doubles is locked up for the USA in both, nobody's beating Fed, Blake/Roddick can e asily notch a win over Nadal and whoever they stick as Spain's #2 will be beaten as well as the random Swiss #2 :p.

simpletennis
09-29-2006, 03:20 AM
oy, tough. czech republic!! tomas vs. andy. they'll prob. be picking clay :(

punctuated.
09-29-2006, 03:25 AM
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/745/bump.gif.

Deboogle!.
09-29-2006, 03:29 AM
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/745/bump.gif.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fumus
09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
How cool would it be if Andy beat Roger for the first time in 4 years in a davis cup tie...5 sets of glory.

partygirl
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
How cool would it be if Andy beat Roger for the first time in 4 years in a davis cup tie...5 sets of glory.
i think that might be where it is more likely...
i would prefer Wimbledon though.

Black Adam
09-29-2006, 03:06 PM

I like the too big avatar!;)

Fumus
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Agreed. I would prefer he straight setted Fed and made him eat a bread stick, a bread stick and bagel...but lol....

Golfnduck
09-29-2006, 10:53 PM
It's kind of a tough draw. I wonder what surface the Czechs will pick :scratch:

Deboogle!.
09-29-2006, 11:01 PM
It's kind of a tough draw. I wonder what surface the Czechs will pick :scratch:gee, I can't imagine. Maybe grass :smoke:

Winston's Human
09-30-2006, 02:15 AM
It seems to me there are two big questions about the US-Czech Republic tie:

Will the Czechs pick clay even though Novak and Berdych have been stronger on faster surfaces?

Are the Czechs truly strong enough on clay to stop the Americans (like Spain or Russia) or are they not strong enough to make the surface matter (like Slovakia or Belgium)?

Deboogle!.
09-30-2006, 02:26 AM
It seems to me there are two big questions about the US-Czech Republic tie:

Will the Czechs pick clay even though Novak and Berdych have been stronger on faster surfaces?

Are the Czechs truly strong enough on clay to stop the Americans (like Spain or Russia) or are they not strong enough to make the surface matter (like Slovakia or Belgium)?Yeah, it is interesting. The thing that a lot of these teams do, though, is pick the surface that will hurt the opponent the worst instead of helping them the most. You have a team like Croatia that just puts every team on a super slick carpet surface no matter who they play, and it seems to work. Then again I bet even they might put the US on clay now.

Thing is, berdych is pretty good on clay and has a great DC record on it. So I think they will still go for clay, because anything faster will give the US an advantage.

Jimnik
10-01-2006, 05:43 PM
:haha: Love this thread.

The Czechs will probably follow the Russian example of laying a court with loads of pot-holes and bad bounces. This will not only drive our boys crazy but will benefit the serve-volleying of Stepanek.

I hear Mr. Thick-Lips has no problems with the new Davis Cup captain.

tangerine_dream
10-02-2006, 06:41 PM
McEnroe gets 2-year extension as U.S. Davis Cup captain
tennis.com
10/2/06

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -Patrick McEnroe received a two-year contract extension Monday to stay on as captain of the U.S. Davis Cup team, charged with ending the country's longest title drought since the competition began in 1900.

If McEnroe does remain in the job through 2008, he would tie Tom Gorman (1986-93) for the longest tenure as U.S. captain.

"Absolutely," McEnroe said when asked if he wanted to return in 2007. "I can say if they (the USTA) want me back, surely I'm committed. It's a huge honor for me and it's a pleasure for me to be the captain of this group of guys because of their commitment. They are committed to playing Davis Cup for our country, they're there for each other and for the fans of U.S. tennis and they step up to the plate and compete hard every single time, particularly Andy, who has played so many matches in the last six weeks. They're always there; I certainly never take that for granted and assuming I'm back, I hope that commitment continues."

In McEnroe's six Davis Cups in charge, the best showing by the United States was losing in the 2004 final. McEnroe also twice took the team to the semifinals, in 2002 and this year - the United States lost to Russia last month.

Since the Davis Cup began in 1900, the United States has won 31 titles, but the country's last championship came in 1995.

"With Patrick at the helm, our remaining goal is clear: to return the Davis Cup to the United States,'' said Arlen Kantarian, U.S. Tennis Association chief executive for pro tennis.

partygirl
10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Oh no.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sad020.gif

Deboogle!.
10-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Who do you think would've been better? :shrug:

MissFairy
10-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Who do you think would've been better? :shrug:
Heya, duh. ;)

Deboogle!.
10-02-2006, 07:47 PM
oh man i freakin love you sarah :haha:

MissFairy
10-02-2006, 07:54 PM
:kiss:

What would be better at a DC tie changeover than a 20 minute, mostly incoherent but funny as hell rant? The guys would win the tie just to shut her up! :inlove:

Deboogle!.
10-02-2006, 08:03 PM
:spit: :haha: :rolls:

Deboogle!.
10-10-2006, 02:00 AM
just saw this now.....
=================
October 2, 2006

CAPTAIN PATRICK McENROE

CHRIS WIDMAIER: Thank you everyone for joining us today. We have a number of people on this call, in addition to Davis Cup Captain, Patrick McEnroe. We have with us the current USTA Chairman of the Board and President, Franklin Johnson, our newly nominated Chairman of the Board and President, Jane Brown Grimes, and the USTA's Chief Executive of Pro Tennis, Arlen Kantarian. All of whom worked together to bring you today's announcement. I'd like to turn it over to Franklin Johnson.

FRANKLIN JOHNSON: I'm very happy to announce that Patrick McEnroe will continue as our United States Davis Cup Captain through 2008. Jane Brown Grimes and I confirmed and it was a very easy decision to re-up Patrick who we think has done a very fine job, and has wonderful abilities. Let me turn it over to Arlen.

ARLEN KANTARIAN: Sure, I just would like to add that we all feel strongly that Patrick's leadership as captain over these past years is a major reason that our top players, as you all know, made Davis Cup a priority. We feel Patrick's created a very unique chemistry amongst this team with players that we feel truly look forward to coming together as a team during these Davis Cup weeks. During Patrick's time as captain he's brought us to the finals once, he's taken us to the semifinals twice. We feel we're knocking on the door, with, of course, one remaining goal, which is to return the Davis Cup to the United States. And I know that Franklin and Jane and us here at the USTA feel our chances are far greater with Patrick at the helm.

So, Patrick we're thrilled to have you continue to represent U.S. tennis and the USTA and we'd like to turn it over to you for any comments.

PATRICK McENROE: Thanks a lot Arlen, I just would like to thank Franklin and Jane, Arlen, Jim Curley, and the entire USTA staff, that really makes my job very, very easy when it comes to the actual ties. I have to say that being the Davis Cup captain has been the biggest honor in my career and it continues to be that. So to do it for a couple more years is another huge honor for me. There's nothing like walking out on the court representing the U.S. tennis effort, the USTA, and I think, most specifically, the players, because although Arlen had some very kind words about me, which I appreciate, but the fact of the matter is the players have supported Davis Cup mostly because of themselves and because of how much they care about the effort and how much they enjoy it. So as big of an honor for me to be the captain it's equally a joy to walk out there with Andy and James and the Bryans, and the other guys that we've had play in the last couple of years, Robby Ginepri, Mardy Fish, obviously Agassi and Sampras when they played when I was captain. To walk out with them is -- every time it's something special.

I'm very excited to be coming back for another two years, as I'm sure all of you on the call know, the draw came out for 2007 and we've got a tough draw. But we're looking forward to the challenge, as we always do, of going away and playing a tough team from the Czech Republic and hopefully moving on to the next round.

I guess we'll open it up for some questions now.

Q. Congratulations.

PATRICK McENROE: Thanks a lot.

Q. You're very welcome. I'm sorry of being timid, I just didn't want to go first.

PATRICK McENROE: You should go first.

Q. I will. I wanted to ask specifically about the tie in Russia, which sadly I was not able to see the epic match with Andy. The question is could you shed any light on how he seemed to react to the emotion of that and I guess the disappointment of the win and any thoughts about what this will do for him going forward in Davis Cup play?

PATRICK McENROE: He's been tremendous. He's played every tie that he's been able to play. There's only one match he's missed, I think because of injury a number of years ago, I believe in 2002 against Croatia. Was that 2002 or '03? I think it was '02.

Anyway, look, Andy puts a lot into these Davis Cup matches. And to be honest I don't think he gets nearly the credit that he deserves for putting himself on the line, putting himself out there. He's played some of the most memorable, sort of marathon matches, particularly some of the clay court matches. Last year he won a huge match for us in Belgium and helped us stay in the World Group. Obviously lost a couple of very tough ones in the final against Spain a couple of years ago and then the one against Tursunov in Russia. I was extremely proud of his efforts. He was two sets to love down, the other guy was playing lights out. He just hung in there. He certainly didn't play his best tennis, but he competed his hardest. And the conditions obviously there were difficult for us with the clay being extremely slow, extremely heavy. And that is sort of par for the course in Davis Cup, so we've come to expect that. But I was very, very happy with his effort and his commitment. I'm very lucky that he's had that, as his captain, and I certainly hope and expect that that will continue.

He has a real passion for Davis Cup and I just don't think he gets the respect he should for no matter where we go he shows up to play every single time he's been asked. And in situations where the advantages were in his favor, obviously playing at home, for instance, and in situations where it wasn't always in his favor. So we certainly wouldn't have had the success we've had without him for the last five, six years.

Q. Congratulations. I wanted to ask you, since overcoming clay has been an obstacle for the team and the players, what can you and the players do between now and February to best prepare, assuming it's clay in the Czech Republic?

PATRICK McENROE: You know, Richard, I think that maybe we're making a little too much of it as far as thinking about it so much. Clearly from the matches we've played, meaning the guys have played, we're competing on clay. It's not like we're going over there and we're getting blown away, we're not in matches. We're in matches. I think we certainly can all do a better job, particularly me in preparing mentally. I think the game-wise the guys get enough practice. It's too idealistic to say we should go practice for two or three months on clay for the next -- before the next match, if we do play on clay, because you've got the indoor season, you've got the Masters, you've got the Australian Open. Realistically that's part of the challenge of Davis Cup is that you don't have that amount of time to prepare for a particular match. So clearly with the way the guys play and look what happened this week, James goes and wins another title, and Tursunov goes and wins a title today in India. So it's not like we're not competing. We are. We just have to come in, I think, with an attitude of we can win and we're going to win. We've got the talent, we've got the ability. It's certainly not as good a surface for us as the US Open court or a grass court, but that doesn't mean we can't go out and beat quality players. I think when you look at the scores in the last few matches we've played, we're in these matches. I think if you come out with maybe a slightly different attitude going out there, that could make the big difference.

Q. Just as a follow-up, you just mentioned Blake winning, and if he and Andy both qualify for Shanghai and he plays there end of November and comes back, and they have to go back to Melbourne, are you concerned just the schedule itself could drain those guys? They both played a fair amount in the summer, hard court season, and then playing into mid-November and going to Australia, are you concerned about that at all?

PATRICK McENROE: Well, look, no one is rooting harder than me for both of them to make it to the Masters. I think that would be a huge effort, obviously for James it would be his first time. So I'm certainly rooting for them. But I think they do a pretty good job of balancing their schedules, of knowing when they need to peak and when they need to take some time off. Am I concerned? Of course. I'm always concerned. I'm always concerned if someone gets hurt or over plays or comes in a little bit worn down. But I think our guys have Davis Cup pretty high on the priority list. And as I said, I hope that continues and they usually come in with a pretty good attitude and physically prepared to play. So I think when your players are doing well and having success, that should help team effort in the long run.

Q. Last question, could you give us a brief scouting report on Berdych. He got into the final today and Blake beat him pretty decisively --

PATRICT McENROE: Tursunov beat him -- you mean at the Open?

Q. At the Open he beat him. And also Stepanek or Novak, if you had an indication which guy or if they both --

PATRICK McENROE: I know Stepanek is injured at this point, he's questionable with an arm, wrist injury or elbow, but Berdych is a dangerous player. He's extremely talented, I think he's probably a little better on fast courts. You might be able to say the same thing about someone like a Safin. He certainly has a lot of fire power, he's beaten the top two players in the world in the last couple of years. He's actually played pretty well on clay. He played decent at the French last year. He can play. And Stepanek had a career year. He's probably a little more comfortable on fast courts, as well. I think most of their team would probably say they're more comfortable on hard courts, but at the same time they can play on clay. So it's a little similar to probably the situation with the Russians. So I don't think it's a slam dunk that they'll play on clay, but certainly that would be my expectation, that they would try to do that and Stepanek is obviously a tricky player, he's got a lot of feel and finesse, and hits the ball pretty flat, which is a similar game that Novak plays, he's more straight up, more a baseline player. He's had a couple of good years. He's, I think, towards the tail end of his career, but certainly a guy that can still win big matches. He's the guy that beat Sampras in Davis Cup last time we played him back in LA. They have a capable team, more than capable, and it will certainly be a big test for us to go over there in February and get a win.

Q. I was just curious about if you're thinking ahead to who will be on your team. You've had probably the luxury of having the same players on for quite a while now with Roddick, Blake and the Bryans. Do you anticipate keeping them together or possibly switching things up a bit or how do you feel about all that?

PATRICK McENROE: I don't anticipate switching things up for the sake of switching things up. But I anticipate -- I hope that we'll have some other players in the mix. Certainly James and Andy are pretty clear-cut our top two guys at the moment. But I would certainly love the problem of seeing a Robby Ginepri or Mardy Fish, in particular, step up their level in the next few months and make a run to be a part of the team. That's always a good problem to have as the captain. In saying that, I'm certainly extremely happy that both James and Andy have been there and are doing so well with their ranking and with their careers. So I don't anticipate any changes, but I would certainly love the opportunity to have some more difficult decisions, sure, because that means more of our guys are having success.

Q. Sam Querrey is a really rising young star, do you see him contending for a spot on the team in the near future?

PATRICK McENROE: I would say in the near future. I would say it depends exactly what our definition of that is, but I'm extremely optimistic about Sam and how well he's done in the short time and he just won another Challenger last week or a week ago Sunday. So he's obviously making tremendous strides.

Ryan Sweeting is another kid we just had over in Moscow who has a lot of potential as well. So those players like that, Donald Young, who is our junior champion, we certainly are keeping a close eye on them. As I said, the more options we have in the long run, the better.

Q. I was wondering if you could just reflect a little bit, maybe comparing, contrast the breadth and depth of the opponent in Davis Cup play today, maybe when you played or --

PATRICK McENROE: It certainly changed a lot, and I think that the depth of men's tennis over all has gotten a lot stronger. And I think you're seeing that in Davis Cup where you could take -- I could have two really good players, like Croatia, and certainly like Slovak Republic had one very good player and others that can mix and match that can do well. We still have the depth with the Russian team with the sort of mix and match guys over in Moscow. And I think where that really helps is in adjusting the surfaces, playing on some different surfaces. Our guys, as I said, they've shown the capability of playing well on clay. Now we've got to turn that into winning matches on clay against very tough teams, the top teams. So all you have to do, I think, is look at the list of Davis Cup champions in the last ten years, and you'll see that it's very rare that the same team wins year after year. So obviously we're not on that list, and we'd like to get on that list and win the Davis Cup. But Russia has won it; they might win it again this year. Argentina who has been one of the top teams for years, has never won it. Spain beat us in 2004 in the final and the next two years they lost in the first round. So it's difficult for all the pieces of the puzzle to come together to win because you can have an extremely tough first round match, you can have an extremely tough final match. And I think that's where Davis Cup has changed a lot. I think it used to be where maybe three or four maybe very strong countries, and they could sort of walk their way into the semifinal. Nowadays from the first round on, depending on home court and who you play, could be -- you could have a first round match that's as tough as a semifinal or final.

Q. I know the last time was televised on Versus and The Tennis Channel, do you know if the next one will be on there, and just in general what do you see for TV coverage globally for Davis Cup, is it getting better or worse, I don't know the other countries what it's like?

PATRICK McENROE: I would certainly like to see it get more television coverage. I don't know the answer to that, maybe Chris could give you the details on that, I just don't know. Obviously when I was with ESPN covering the Davis Cup before I became the captain, we were always real happy to cover it. And my buddy, Mr. Drysdale is disappointed that we didn't do it this last year or so. I don't know the answer, I certainly would love to see Davis Cup become more of an emotional event rather than a regional event. But I don't think we have enough time on this call to get into that issue.

CHRIS WIDMAIER: Richard, I'll follow-up with you separately on that.

We'd like to conclude the call, and thank everybody for joining us, thank you Patrick. Thank you, Franklin and Jane and Arlen. And thank you members of the media. And again, if anybody has further questions, please contact myself or Tim directly.

Deboogle!.
12-11-2006, 06:38 PM
It's official, the tie in Feb. will be played on indoor clay in Ostrava.

blosson
12-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Oh my. Will it be a first round way out again :unsure: ? Good luck to the boys.

Deboogle!.
12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
The US should win the doubles and both Andy and james really should beat Stepanek, even on clay. His DC Record is not even that good. Berdych is very good in DC play (well and everywhere else), and he will probably get at least one win, but James has a good game to match up against him and you never know when Andy might decide to pull out a good win :scratch:

I mean Berdych is good on clay. Stepanek can play on it but he's a serve-volleyer. It's not their best surface either, so yeah. As long as we are 1-1 after Friday I think it would put the US in good shape. That would probably mean James beating Stepanek, assuming he is still ranked above Andy.

cobalt60
12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Heya, duh. ;)

She has gone missing it seems. Hope she is ok.

blosson
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Maybe she gave up on Andy. I think she was a Berdych fan too.

tangerine_dream
12-20-2006, 07:32 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/12/19/predictions2007.tennis/

SI.com predicts the USA will win Davis Cup in 2007

The U.S. will win the Davis Cup. For all the Chicken Littles lamenting the state of American tennis, the U.S. has two of the world's top six players (James Blake and Andy Roddick), plus wonder twins Bob and Mike Bryan, the top-ranked doubles team. Short of Rafael Nadal's assuming Swiss citizenship, what's to prevent the U.S. from claiming the Cup for the first time since 1995?

Er, clay? LOL. But we can dream! Fingers crossed http://cellar.org/images/smilies/fingerscrossed.gif

Deboogle!.
12-20-2006, 07:34 PM
mmmm someone smoked a little too much :smoke: :smoke: before writing that

kaylee
12-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Hahaha I think they will win, they will overcome the clay factor and win Davis Cup (err no I haven't been smoking anything)

Winston's Human
12-21-2006, 04:30 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/12/19/predictions2007.tennis/

SI.com predicts the USA will win Davis Cup in 2007

The U.S. will win the Davis Cup. For all the Chicken Littles lamenting the state of American tennis, the U.S. has two of the world's top six players (James Blake and Andy Roddick), plus wonder twins Bob and Mike Bryan, the top-ranked doubles team. Short of Rafael Nadal's assuming Swiss citizenship, what's to prevent the U.S. from claiming the Cup for the first time since 1995?

Er, clay? LOL. But we can dream! Fingers crossed http://cellar.org/images/smilies/fingerscrossed.gif

I guess someone at SI overlooked the drawsheet and missed the likelihood that, should we survive the Czechs on clay and Switzerland-Spain at home, we will be traveling to Argentina for the semifinals where it is possible that the clay will be slower than Spain in 2004.

Deboogle!.
12-21-2006, 05:18 AM
I guess someone at SI overlooked the drawsheet and missed the likelihood that, should we survive the Czechs on clay and Switzerland-Spain at home, we will be traveling to Argentina for the semifinals where it is possible that the clay will be slower than Spain in 2004.Yeah, and probably a lot more hostile too.

Jade Fox
12-21-2006, 08:34 AM
mmmm someone smoked a little too much :smoke: :smoke: before writing that

I'll have what they're having.:smoke: :p

kaylee
12-21-2006, 03:09 PM
hahahaha me too!

Deboogle!.
12-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Well, not a big huge deal but a bit of good news for the US I guess
==============
Stepanek retires from Czech Davis Cup team

The Associated Press
Friday, December 22, 2006
Click here to find out more!
PRAGUE, Czech Republic

Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic announced his retirement from the national team Friday and will not play against the United States in next year's Davis Cup match.

Josef Nechutny, secretary general of the Czech tennis federation, confirmed the decision of Stepanek to retire.

Stepanek, ranked No. 19, is the country's second best player. The 28-year-old last played for the Czech Republic in 2004 against Paraguay.

The Czechs host 31-time champion United States in the first round on Feb 9-11 in the eastern city of Ostrava.

The Czech team, yet to be announced by captain Jaroslav Navratil, is expected to be led by No.13 Tomas Berdych.

shruti
12-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, not a big huge deal but a bit of good news for the US I guess

Surely is.
Possibly Berdych, Damm, Hernych & Vanek then? :unsure:

Deboogle!.
12-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Surely is.
Possibly Berdych, Damm, Hernych & Vanek then? :unsure:I guess? :scratch: But, Andy and James should surely beat whoever they put out as the #2 player and the Bryans will win, so yeah, should be good for the 1st round :unsure: :)

shruti
12-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Andy and James should surely beat whoever they put out as the #2 player

Yeah hopefully.
Damn CLAY! :smash:

Jimnik
12-23-2006, 11:06 AM
:eek: OMG, USA actually has a very decent chance now.

Why did Thunder Lips decide to retire? He could have made a strong team with Berdych.

tennis lover
12-23-2006, 01:47 PM
:eek: OMG, USA actually has a very decent chance now.

Why did Thunder Lips decide to retire? He could have made a strong team with Berdych.
well Stepanek hasn't played for the Czech Republic since 2004 anyway, but I just read an article where the Czech Tennis Federation has said he quit because he "unequivocally confirmed that he is completely indifferent to playing for the Czech Republic and that he despises Czech tennis, his team-mates, officials and Czech tennis fans". :o

Tytta!.
12-23-2006, 02:00 PM
uh oh. :o

Jimnik
12-23-2006, 03:00 PM
well Stepanek hasn't played for the Czech Republic since 2004 anyway, but I just read an article where the Czech Tennis Federation has said he quit because he "unequivocally confirmed that he is completely indifferent to playing for the Czech Republic and that he despises Czech tennis, his team-mates, officials and Czech tennis fans". :o
:haha:

At least he's honest.

Deboogle!.
12-23-2006, 03:40 PM
well Stepanek hasn't played for the Czech Republic since 2004 anyway, but I just read an article where the Czech Tennis Federation has said he quit because he "unequivocally confirmed that he is completely indifferent to playing for the Czech Republic and that he despises Czech tennis, his team-mates, officials and Czech tennis fans". :ooh dude, seriously? Man, that guy almost seems certifiable :lol:

Enja
01-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey everybody!
I'm from Russia and I'm going to Ostrava to support the US Team, but I don't want to be cheering for them along among the Czech fans. If anybody is going to Czech can you tell me please what stands did you oder?

acoffeygirl
01-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Do we know when the team has to be named?

Deboogle!.
01-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Soon

but if it's anything but Andy, James, and the Bryans, I'll eat my shirt and post a picture of it. and the Czech team will be Berdych, and probably some mix of the likes of Hajek, Damm, Vanek, and people like that.

Jimnik
01-25-2007, 06:47 PM
No chance of Mardy making the team? Especially after winning that major clay event in Houston last year. ;)

Hajek will probably be the 2nd player, although his form is awful. He was ill throughout the Australian hard court season.

kristanmichelle
01-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Mardy may come along as an alternate, and perhaps Ginepri... Roddick, Blake, and the Bryans have to be the starting line up. Perhaps we will win this one, even if it is on clay.

Deboogle!.
01-26-2007, 01:13 AM
we should win it, without Stepanek. I'd be surprised if Mardy and Robby went overseas, but maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if they take Sam and/or Kuznetsov, though.

Tytta!.
01-26-2007, 01:17 AM
DEB POSTS OMG OMG OMG.

hehe

knight_ley
01-26-2007, 02:53 AM
but if it's anything but Andy, James, and the Bryans, I'll eat my shirt and post a picture of it.

:haha: I'm personally going to call PMAC tonight and ask him to replace James with VINNAY ICE the top ten player just to see that picture. :p

Deboogle!.
01-26-2007, 02:54 AM
:haha: I'm personally going to call PMAC tonight and ask him to replace James with VINNAY ICE the top ten player just to see that picture. :p:ras:

jeahhh!
01-26-2007, 02:55 AM
:haha: I'm personally going to call PMAC tonight and ask him to replace James with VINNAY ICE the top ten player just to see that picture. :p

:lol: :rolls:

knight_ley
01-26-2007, 02:56 AM
:ras:

:kiss: :kiss: :angel: :kiss: :kiss:

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Official nominations are out

CZECH REPUBLIC v USA
Venue: Ostrava, Czech Republic (clay - indoors)

Czech Republic
Tomas Berdych
Lukas Dlouhy
Ivo Minar
Pavel Vizner
Captain: Jaroslav Navratil

USA
Andy Roddick
James Blake
Mike Bryan
Bob Bryan
Captain: Patrick McEnroe

And the VS. network (formerly OLN) will be showing it on tv. (http://ww2.versus.com/tvlistings/test-DB.asp?so=07%20DAVIS%20CUP)

jeahhh!
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Official nominations are out

CZECH REPUBLIC v USA
Venue: Ostrava, Czech Republic (clay - indoors)

Czech Republic
Tomas Berdych
Lukas Dlouhy
Ivo Minar
Pavel Vizner
Captain: Jaroslav Navratil

USA
Andy Roddick
James Blake
Mike Bryan
Bob Bryan
Captain: Patrick McEnroe

And the VS. network (formerly OLN) will be showing it on tv. (http://ww2.versus.com/tvlistings/test-DB.asp?so=07%20DAVIS%20CUP)
Thanks

kaylee
01-30-2007, 05:26 PM
bah I wish the OLN here would televise it but noooooo we have to sit through fishing programs (there is nothing wrong with fishing but I would rather be watching tennis). Sigh I will rely on the davis cup web site for snippets AGAIN!!!

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Dlouhy and Minar are both pretty good players. Not that experienced in Davis Cup but either of them will be a tricky Friday match for Andy.

arodfanpe666o
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
You are right, it it will be difficult for Andy, especially on that red clay...

Golfnduck
01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I wonder if I get OLN on my Directv. I hope I do.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 07:32 PM
It's not OLN Anymore. It's called VS. So if you're looking for OLN, you won't find it ;)

Jade Fox
01-30-2007, 08:04 PM
So, we're playing the Czechs? On red clay?

*Curls up in a ball and mutters repeatedly "Davis Cup isn't everything, Davis Cup isn't everything"*

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah, but look at the team. If our guys can't beat that team..... :shrug:

Jade Fox
01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah, but look at the team. If our guys can't beat that team..... :shrug:

Oh honey, when it comes to the red stuff I ALWAYS underestimate the American's chances. It's just safer that way:p .

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 08:28 PM
well sure, but let's be realistic here ;) If they can't beat that team made up of Berdych and 3 nobodies, then it's even worse than we anticipated ;)

Jade Fox
01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
well sure, but let's be realistic here ;) If they can't beat that team made up of Berdych and 3 nobodies, then it's even worse than we anticipated ;)

I guess that's true. Maybe Andy will be still very pissed at his AO semi loss and take his anger out by crushing Birdman and company.

That would be sweet:devil:.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 09:16 PM
well Andy won't be playing Berdych on Friday, so that helps. He'll probably play Dlouhy b/c he's been playing more lately. Mind you, I don't think Dlouhy is a claycourt animal, and he's playing on indoor carpet this week (where he barely beat Phau in the first round). Sooo.. and I don't think Minar is that much better on clay.

So I think Andy will win on Friday, and the Bryans will win obviously. So if James can pull out a win against Berdych (which seems feasible because James matches up well with him), then we could go 3-0. If not, if worse comes to worse, James really should win a 5th rubber against any of the B-list Czech team... not that James would be the guy I'd want out there in a 5th rubber but even he should be able to beat one of those three guys....................... :scared:

dlouhy is 9-15 lifetime on clay, Minar is 5-10. (Berdych is only 28-22 for that matter, but he has an excellent DC record).... of course James is 21-21.....

jeahhh!
01-30-2007, 09:16 PM
I guess that's true. Maybe Andy will be still very pissed at his AO semi loss and take his anger out by crushing Birdman and company.

That would be sweet:devil:.

Yeah it would be awesome!!:D

Jlee
01-30-2007, 10:49 PM
It's not OLN Anymore. It's called VS. So if you're looking for OLN, you won't find it ;)

What's really strange is, my OLN channel sometimes broadcasts VS programming and calls themselves VS. So I think I still get DC...:unsure:

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Well, it's VS. now. It's not OLN anymore. Your listings or something might call it OLN still, but OLN is VS. OLN doesn't even exist anymore at all (I mean, the only difference is the name, but you know what I mean).

www.olntv.com used to be OLN's URL, look where it takes you ;)

So if you used to get OLN, you should get VS. now, and you will get DC

Jlee
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, it's VS. now. It's not OLN anymore. Your listings or something might call it OLN still, but OLN is VS. OLN doesn't even exist anymore at all (I mean, the only difference is the name, but you know what I mean).

www.olntv.com used to be OLN's URL, look where it takes you ;)

So if you used to get OLN, you should get VS. now, and you will get DC

LOL, I see. There was a time when some of the programming was OLN and some was VS. That's why I was confused. As long as I get to see DC, I'm happy. :D

Thanks Deb ;)

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
LOL, I see. There was a time when some of the programming was OLN and some was VS. That's why I was confused. As long as I get to see DC, I'm happy. :D

Thanks Deb ;)ah, maybe they were overlapping a bit during their transition but it appears to be all VS. now. I can't say I watch that network that much :lol:

Oh, and of course the coverage will be delayed ;) but it looks like it will be pretty complete :eek: 6 hours on Friday, 3 on Saturday, 5 on Sunday. Pretty nice :eek: And TTC will be showing it delayed later in the day (plus the Croatia/Germany tie live :banana: )

Jlee
01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
ah, maybe they were overlapping a bit during their transition but it appears to be all VS. now. I can't say I watch that network that much :lol:

Oh, and of course the coverage will be delayed ;) but it looks like it will be pretty complete :eek: 6 hours on Friday, 3 on Saturday, 5 on Sunday. Pretty nice :eek: And TTC will be showing it delayed later in the day (plus the Croatia/Germany tie live :banana: )

So it would seem. And I'm not much of a hunting/fishing viewer, so the last I watched OLN/VS was for the last DC tie. :lol:

Wow! :eek: That sounds like pretty decent coverage! I'm excited :D

tennis lover
01-31-2007, 12:19 AM
:awww: I'm so jealous! after the AO final on Sunday, the BBC announced that their next tennis coverage will be the GB DC tie.....in April! :o :crying2:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2007, 12:34 AM
:eek: doesn't eurosport have a UK outlet????

tennis lover
01-31-2007, 12:39 AM
:eek: doesn't eurosport have a UK outlet????
yes but I don't have it, and I don't have sky either! :shrug: so it's online streams for me pretty much until RG! :banana:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Wow, that sucks :( Although I guess it'd be even worse here if you didn't have some sort of Pay Cable tv..... just the finals of major tourneys are on free tv here :awww:

tennis lover
01-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Wow, that sucks :( Although I guess it'd be even worse here if you didn't have some sort of Pay Cable tv..... just the finals of major tourneys are on free tv here :awww:
well it's pretty much the same here. we get full coverage of Wimbledon, got the night sessions of AO (only on the interactive channel on digital tv though which I didn't have last year but do now! :D), I think we get full-ish coverage of RG on digital, no USO :(, and GB DC ties but half the time they only show an hour or 2 a day and put the rest on the interactive channel! oh, we get coverage of Queens as well!:)

Sofyaxo
01-31-2007, 01:21 AM
I'd love to watch Queens. Mmm grass tennis.

I totally forgot that we got DC that just picked up my whole day.:)

Deboogle!.
01-31-2007, 01:25 AM
Queens is on TTC :silly:

jeahhh!
01-31-2007, 01:28 AM
Wow I just realized how lucky I am to have TTC.

shruti
01-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Andy won't be playing Berdych on Friday, so that helps. He'll probably play Dlouhy

So the rankings for DC will stand as on 29th & wont change after this monday, rite?

Sofyaxo
01-31-2007, 11:15 AM

I don't get TTC, well I get it, I just don't have the $$ to get the package that it's in.:sad:

Jimnik
01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey Deb :wavey: I love it when you post in GM. It's so much more bearable when you're around.
But you're right, I should probably stick to this forum to avoid some of these ridiculous arguments.

Jimnik
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
yes but I don't have it, and I don't have sky either! :shrug: so it's online streams for me pretty much until RG! :banana:
Betfair.com (http://livevideo.betfair.com/) :yeah:

Tytta!.
01-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Jimnik, here it's much safer. ;) :smooch:

tennis lover
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Betfair.com (http://livevideo.betfair.com/) :yeah:
yeah I know, I registered with them during Kooyong! but they sent me a letter! :o I'm glad it didn't say betfair all over the front otherwise my parents would've been a bit worried I think! :lol: it's a great stream though, even if the commentary is ridiculously annoying! :sobbing:

I love Queens! :hearts: although they've made it RR which makes me sad! :awww:

Deboogle!.
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM
So the rankings for DC will stand as on 29th & wont change after this monday, rite? well James's optionals are full, so he can't pick anything up this week. Andy's not defending anything so there's no way for James to overtake Andy this week. So the rankings COULD Change but they won't.

Hey Deb :wavey: I love it when you post in GM. It's so much more bearable when you're around.
But you're right, I should probably stick to this forum to avoid some of these ridiculous arguments.:lol: Thanks :o I was bored, I'm over it now and won't be back for a while except for the couple threads I subscribe to :p :haha:

partygirl
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:banana:

Wow I just realized how lucky I am to have TTC.Word.:p

Deboogle!.
01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
UNITED STATES TENNIS ASSOCIATION MEDIA CONFERENCE

January 31, 2007

Patrick McEnroe

TIM CURRY: Thanks, everyone, for joining us today for our media conference call with U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe who will announce the team that will face the Czech Republic next weekend in the first round of the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas at the CEZ Arena in Ostrava. A press release and transcript of this call will be sent out after today's call.
With that being said, here is Captain McEnroe to announce the U.S. roster.
PATRICK McENROE: Thank you, Tim. The team for our first round match in the Czech Republic will be Andy Roddick, James Blake, Bob and Mike Bryan. And now we will open it up for any questions.

Q. Not much suspense in announcing the team these days.:o
PATRICK McENROE: Oh, no, definitely not at the moment.

Q. On paper it is one of the most powerful squads we have seen in years. You've got the top doubles team. You've got the fourth and sixth players in the world. And, yet, you sort of tie as a slight favorite, I would say. Can you talk a little bit about that?:o
PATRICK McENROE: Well, look, I think we're certainly lucky that we have our best players that are committed to Davis Cup. I said my goal coming in as a captain now about seven years ago was to try to be -- to try to be in the hunt every year. Obviously, we've had some disappointing first-round losses since I have been the captain; but we have also, I think, been in the hunt.
We have been in a couple semifinals. We have been in a final. We are certainly in the hunt again this year. I think when you look at the most recent past in Davis Cup, it is very difficult to dominate. It is just difficult for any country to dominate. That tells you about the depth in the men's game. It tells you about smaller countries that are now big factors in Davis Cup, like Croatia, like the Slovak Republic. Argentina certainly has come up in the last couple years particularly. And for us, I think we're in the hunt.
But we all know that playing away on clay has been tough for us, and we are playing away on clay against a good team with one very good player in Tomas Berdych. So I think that's why -- I don't think you can say that any team is a heavy favorite. Look at Spain the last couple years, they have lost in the first round.

Q. Right.
PATRICK McENROE: So that's just the nature of the beast, the nature of Davis Cup now which makes it, I think, so exciting and makes the journey difficult.
But I think once we do get there and win a Davis Cup, I think we'll all appreciate it and the players particularly have been very committed to playing every year.
I mean, since I have been the captain, Andy Roddick has missed one time because he was injured back when we played Croatia, which I believe was 2002, I think it was. So we have been pretty lucky that our best guys have been there. And now with James certainly in the top ten in the number one doubles team, I think I can say that we're in the hunt and we're one of the favorites to go all the way.

Q. Patrick, what kind of pressure is on you either internal or external because of the drought? Obviously, you have been the captain six or seven years. You just had a contract extension. But I'm wondering what you're feeling as a captain?
PATRICK McENROE: I am always feeling pressure as a captain. It is my job to put the best team out there and to try to make a difference during the matches. So that's -- sure, I feel that pressure, but it is a pleasurable pressure to have because it is an honor to be there. It is an honor to be -- obviously to represent the country and to be there representing the players as well and to try to help them.
So, yeah, there is pressure from me. There is obviously just as much pressure for the players, but I think we enjoy it. We enjoy the process, and there should be pressure on us. We got a great team and we've got guys that have proven their worth year in and year out. As you said, in the rankings, we are right up there.
When you first came on, obviously, we were sort of scrambling to find the next players that could take us to the next level; and we found those players now. Now it is a question of getting them to play their best in the Davis Cup situation.
So, yes, there is certainly pressure on me to help make that happen.

Q. Have you ever been to Ostrava?
PATRICK McENROE: I have not. I have been to Prague. I actually played there the last time we played the Davis Cup there. I played the doubles. I am hoping that we have a little more success than I did on the court.

Q. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this force. Have they ever gone into a tie playing individually as well as they are playing right now with Andy's run at the Australian and the Bryan brothers and Blake obviously just an into a buzz saw in Melbourne but they all seem to be playing as well as they have going into a tie.
PATRICK McENROE: I am really happy with where all the guys are, particularly James and Andy would say they finished with a disappointing match in Australia. To me that doesn't take away the great progress I saw in Andy's game and two of the best matches I have seen him play in a long time, beating Safin and beating Ancic and then winning quite easily against Mardy Fish in the quarter. I really saw Andy playing the best tennis I have seen him play.
Hopefully we can build on that and not worry about the fact that, you know, he took a tough beating in the semifinals.
James, you know, I think it is the same kind of thing. He had a great start, winning in Sydney and looked very good in the Australian and had a disappointing match against Gonzales. Obviously as it turns out, with Gonzales getting in the finals, clearly the guy was hot. So, yeah, I think all the guys are playing about as well as they've played. And, obviously, with the Bryans winning the Australian again, they are certainly proving they are the best doubles team in the world consistently.
I think we feel very good about where we are. I know as a captain I feel the guys will be coming in really feeling good about a lot of the things they've done in the last couple months.

Q. You mentioned that you played in Prague, I think it was, in '96. What do you remember from that match and how will it help you prepare the team for the match in Ostrava?
PATRICK McENROE: I will try to erase everything about that match, because I played in the doubles and we were one apiece going into the doubles and we just got blitzed. I was nursing sort of a bad shoulder actually, ended up having surgery soon thereafter.
But we had two great matches in from Todd Martin who won both his singles matches, and we lost doubles, and [ck] Nawasha:retard: lost the fifth match. It was disappointing.
As I said, to play Davis Cup the four times I've played was a huge honor; but I have certainly learned a lot more being the captain than for the many years I have been the captain than as a player. I won't really think about that too much other than to know that the Czechs have a great history in tennis and have had a lot of great players over the years.
So it is a big deal for them to play us. It was a big deal for them to play us back in '96. And we're expecting that same type of environment in Ostrava, which is obviously a different city and most of us haven't been there. So we are looking forward to the trip and, obviously, just taking on another challenge.
But I will attempt to erase the way I performed in that doubles match from anything I bring to this match.

Q. If there was ever a chance for you guys to get off the snide and win on clay, this seems to be it, right?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, we've won a couple of matches on clay. Since I have been around, we haven't won one in the world group. We have won a couple to requalify.

Q. Belgium?
PATRICK McENROE: So we have beaten some good teams. We beat the Slovak Republic. We beat Belgium, which has some good players.
Yes, this is a great opportunity for us and I think it was one of the guys said to me last year right after we lost to the Russians in the semifinals, Hey, it would be nice to get a match away on clay maybe earlier on in the competition instead of playing in the semis and finals. The two years we reached the semis and the year we reached a finals, we were all playing away on clay against very, very strong countries.
Yes, it is a great opportunity and if we can get through this one, we know that our next match would be at home. So we would certainly relish that opportunity. But we got to go over there and play well and go in with the right mind-set to be successful on clay. That's a big part of my job for the next week and a half.

Q. Piggybacking on the Australian question, what do you think Andy and James' mood is going to be like in Ostrava?
PATRICK McENROE: I think it's going to have to be positive because as I said earlier, they both have a lot of positives to draw on and sometimes you play a great tournament and you lose a match and you can let that sit there.
But my job is to reiterate with them, which -- what I saw which is a lot of great tennis from both of them. They always get excited to play Davis Cup, and I think it is a positive thing for them to have Davis Cup to look forward to so soon after the Australian and they always come in with a great attitude and eager to play well.
So I'm expecting that to happen and certainly expecting us to get out of there with a win.

Q. Do you think Andy's newfound style of really attacking the net is going to suit him well for clay or is he going to have to change it up a little bit?
PATRICK McENROE: I would like to see him still be aggressive. I like his court position, the way he was playing in Australia. I think he can play that same kind of way on clay. Look, he is not going to be ten feet behind the baseline on any surface, particularly on clay, is not going to be the best place for him.
Yes, I would like to continue to see him do what he's doing and his improved ability at the net, why not come in a little bit more. I think he can be successful playing that kind of tennis on clay.

Q. He certainly showed that in Belgium against Rochus, that's for sure.
PATRICK McENROE: Exactly.

Q. Obviously being a Davis Cup captain is a unique position. I know no one has really written a book on how to do it. How have you learned to adapt to sitting on the court and relating to players in matches, manage the input you give them and those kinds of things?
PATRICK McENROE: It is a very good question, and it's still a work in progress. But I think I know the guys well enough to know that sometimes less is more and sometimes more is less. So it really -- it is a feeling-out process of sort of knowing the players and sometimes Andy doesn't want to hear much at all. Sometimes he wants to hear a lot. So you really have to just read off of his emotions and what he's going through on the court.
And James, you know, is pretty quiet on the court, but he is someone that you can say a couple of things to but you don't want to overload him. Whereas, Andy is sort of in the mood to have a conversation. And like I said, sometimes he doesn't want to talk at all.
You have to be aware it is about the player and it is about what they need at that particular time. It's sort of a reading out -- a feel process to try to read what they need and sometimes they might need something that they don't want. But you have to take that chance.
Then you get in with the Bryan brothers, and they're just pumped up from the time they get on the court for the warmup. So it's really a dynamic that has to be catered to the particular players and the particular situation and I'm sure I've made mistakes and that's part of the deal, though, is when you are out there in the heat of the battle, it is a lot different, even than sitting in the crowd as a coach watching.

Q. Will you be -- obviously you also have to juggle the outside coaches as well. Would Jimmy Connors be part of an entourage with Andy or other coaches? How do you juggle outside coaches with your responsibilities?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, Jimmy at least as far as I know at this point is not coming. I have allowed the coaches to come in the last couple years. I didn't early on because I felt it was getting in the way of some of what was going on with the players. In the last couple years, I have allowed the coaches mostly because my relationship with them and with the players is pretty good. So I think you have to be realistic to understand that the Davis Cup only comes around a couple weeks a year and these guys have full-time coaches.
A big part of my job is communicating with the coaches and talking to Brian Barker, James' coach, and an understanding here's re the things James has been working on and these are the things we want to do in this particular match.
So I have learned a lot from the coaches themselves, and I think that's really important in the role as a captain. As I said, I don't think it makes sense to not have -- not let the players bring their full-time coaches if that's what they want to do. As long as we are all on the same page and we are all trying to reach the same goal and understand that, then it works pretty well.

Q. Berdych, he's got a nice winning record on clay. Blake and Roddick had losing records on clay.:scratch::bs: As a captain, it must be hard to make tactical changes or tactical advice in the middle of a match. How much of that kind of thing can you do? It seems Roddick and Blake sort of bring a hard-court game on to clay court. And I think it is strong enough to beat a lot of players. Are there times when you can somehow tweak that at all to give them some ideas or input that can, perhaps, alter their tactics to make it more after winning formula for them?
PATRICK McENROE: I think for our guys, it is more of a mind-set than anything else. I think our guys just have to come in with the mentality of be willing to pay the price physically and mentally to win a tough five-set match on clay.:yeah: I really think -- I have seen from both of them really good clay court tennis in spurts and in patches.
I would really like to see them just have the mind-set that, hey, you know what, there is going to be some bad bounces and some things I did on hard courts maybe aren't going to have the same effect as they do on clay but that's okay.
Because I think they both have a lot of weaponry and a lot of strengths in their game that can work and do work on clay. My job, I think, is to get them to just go out there with a positive attitude and an attitude that they're willing to understand that it might take one or two extra shots to win a lot of points. When they go in with that attitude, there is no doubt in my mind that we can be successful on clay.

Q. I want to ask you, with a relatively short turnaround time, have the guys been able to do anything as far as practicing on clay court? Or will your practice be confined to just the week that you're there? Can you do something?
PATRICK McENROE: Andy is already down in Florida.:yeah: He got to Florida last night.:yeah: He is practicing on clay this week.:yeah: And Jay Berger who is going to come over as my assistant again for this match has been helping him get some practice down there.
James, I think as you know, is playing in Delray. He is playing some matches there on hard court. And the Bryan brothers are also down in Florida practicing on clay.
So we will meet up in the Czech Republic on Sunday morning,:yeah: and that will be when our practice over there gets underway. And James, you know, we hope will be arriving Monday after he wins the title in Delray.

Q. Do you think Blake's five-set struggle is more mental, physical or just the experience of winning one?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, I certainly think we would all love to see him win one. I think physically he is a lot stronger now than he has ever been. I think he hasn't had -- Most of his losses in five sets, to be honest, came earlier in his career. He had a disappointing one certainly at Wimbledon last year and at the French. I think those certainly weren't physical.
I think it is just something that he has just got to fight through, and I think he will. He is too good of a player not to.
If we get to a fifth set in the Czech Republic in one of his matches, I will feel good and it will be a great time to break that string.:tape:

Q. I remember your first tie was against Switzerland. You said before that tie you thought Federer could be number one, that he had the talent to be number one. Is there anything at that time that when you look back now that surprised you about his progression as a player, just technical areas of his game that you didn't think would develop as they did?
PATRICK McENROE: I think technically his backhand has gotten so much better over the last couple years. You can see his movement, and the forehand and sort of the fluidity on the court. His backhand has become such a weapon as well. His serve, I think he has gotten more consistent. Obviously, what he has done in the last couple years has just been nothing short of remarkable as far as his numbers and his consistency.
Back then, you know, he would shank quite a few balls and he would not lose interest but maybe lose focus, lose concentration. And now I think what's most impressive about him in addition to just his overall game, is just how mentally solid he is throughout the course of a match and a tournament. He never really gives his opponents any room, you know, doesn't give them a free cheap point here or there. And that's something that I don't think any of us could have predicted when I saw him when I think he was 18 or 19 at the time.
He has just become so much more predictable in a way that you know he is not going to give you anything.

Q. Do you give Switzerland any -- or how much of a shot do you give them without Federer against Spain?
PATRICK McENROE: I give them a chance because they have got a couple of pretty good players. Wawrinka is good and so is -- Chiudinelli is not a bad player, and they are playing indoors in what I assume will be fairly quick courts. It is the same kind of thing.
You look at it on paper and you look, well, Spain is -- should win this, and the reality is they are going away and playing on a surface that is a little uncomfortable for them.
That's the situation we're in. We're going to a place where on paper we certainly should win the match, but we are not playing it on paper. That's sort of the beauty of Davis Cup. You get thrown into these environments and depending -- with the depth in the men's game and different services, et cetera, a lot of things can happen.

Q. The fact that the second round site has already been announced, how bold a move is that, in your opinion?:scratch: :confused:
PATRICK McENROE: Well, we haven't -- we're obviously well aware that we need to take care of the first round; but I think from a logistics standpoint, it's helpful to everyone to know when you have such -- you know, one of the real challenges of Davis Cup is the incredibly quick turnaround. So I think setting up a place -- most of the time that's done any way. But I think it was just announced in your neck of the country just to help out with promoting the event, which I think is one of the challenges of Davis Cup.
So I think if you can do that in the right circumstances -- we all know we need to win the first round. And it is sort of irrelevant to how we do in the first round.
I will say if we do get through the first round, then all the guys are very much looking forward to going back there. As you remember, of course, the last time we played there was my first tie as a captain at home and who did we have playing singles but Roddick and Blake. They have grown up quite a bit in the years, and I'm sure they would love to come back there again.

Q. Does that have any psychological impact on the team or any kind of impact for next week at all?
PATRICK McENROE: No, absolutely. We are well aware as I have told the guys, and they have told me, in fact, that we need to take care of the first round first. And we are well aware of how dangerous the Czechs are and what good players they have. That's in no way indicative of anything other than a way to help promote the event and plan because if you finish the first round, you have got basically two months to get ready for the next one. That's not a lot of time.

Q. Patrick, just following up, is Ryan Sweeting going to be a practice partner?
PATRICK McENROE: Ryan Sweeting and Michael Russell.

Q. They just played each other in Delray?
PATRICK McENROE: They did. Sweeting won. Michael got a little bit of a flu that he had gotten. He had just flown in from Hawaii where he won the Challenger there and he was a little bit under the weather and retired. Sweeting had another win today. He is doing well.

Q. Talking about other Americans, is Mardy Fish back on your Davis Cup radar? I know it will be tough to crack the big two.
PATRICK McENROE: He definitely is. We spoke quite a bit down in Australia. I am hopeful to get him to come on board for a match that would work for our schedules. He is definitely someone that is certainly on the radar screen, yes.

Q. Another part of Roddick's game, he seems to have flattened out and is driving that two-hander. That might not work as well, though, on clay, right?
PATRICK McENROE: I think it can under certain conditions but, yeah, I would certainly like to see him -- as I said, if he's standing closer to the baseline, I think good things happen. So he gets a lot of spin on the forehand. He can get a little more spin on the backhand if he needs it. If he is driving that ball and hitting it deep, it will be successful on clay as well.

Q. In your mind, if you get one win out of Roddick or Blake against Berdych, do you feel pretty good about your chances?
PATRICK McENROE: I really look at it as getting three points, and whatever way we get three points we get three points. Obviously, Berdych is a serious factor for them. He has beaten Roddick before. In fact, he has beaten Roddick on fast courts. So he is the guy that can play.
James has beaten him, but I believe that was a couple times on hard court. I would say if we can get a win over him, we're certainly in good shape, yes.

Q. Patrick, start with the surface choice for a second. It seems it is more of a decision to hurt you than to help them.
PATRICK McENROE: I don't think there is any question about that. But I think that's part of Davis Cup. You could have made the argument that the Russians were better on fast courts than on clay, and they decided to play on clay and were able to use that to their advantage.
So I think that's an accurate assessment. I think Berdych is better on fast courts, but I think he has also had some good results on clay. I think it was the fourth round in the French last year and he can play on clay.
But if you are playing against us and two of the best hard court players in the world in Roddick and Blake, it is certainly understandable that they would go away what they are most comfortable on in thinking maybe they are just a little less comfortable than we are. But that's a challenge for us, and, as I said, we are going to have to win -- we are going to have to win one of these matches sometime. You would love to be able to play every Davis Cup match at home. It is just not likely.

Q. What's been the most stinging loss of your captaincy?
PATRICK McENROE: I would say probably the most surprising one when we lost to Croatia at home. That's the only match we have lost at home since I have been captain. Having Andre and Andy there, I think that was certainly a tough one to stomach, and me feeling like I made the court a little bit too slow didn't help me being able to deal with it and my responsibility there in making the court maybe too slow for Andre.
But that happened. I think certainly going to Spain and having a chance to win it and losing in the final there was disappointing.
But probably the one -- the home loss to Croatia probably stung the most.

Q. Just a couple things, were you down in Australia through the end of the tournament?
PATRICK McENROE: I had to come home early.

Q. Have you heard any more news about the reasons for Stepanek not being part of the team? I think obviously you were probably delighted to see that he wasn't playing. Obviously, they are a combination that could be very tough. Without him on the team, I think there is a little more light.
PATRICK McENROE: All I've heard is what I have seen in the paper which is -- on the Internet which was that he has had some problems with the Czech Federation. That's all I have seen.
I will say from the broader scope of the Davis Cup, I would like to see all the best players play all the time, and that's what Davis Cup should be about. In the larger scheme of things, I would love to see everybody play. I would love to see Federer playing against Spain, but the reality of the situation is the reality.
All I really care about for us is to win the match, so not having him there, I think, certainly helps our chances. In no way would I think it's an unwinnable match or that much tougher of a match if he did play. You have got to go out there and win. They have got a guy there in Dlouhy who played third round in the French last year and beat Acasuso. They have got some guys that can play other than Berdych and Stepanek.
TIM CURRY: If there are no further questions, we'll conclude the call. Just one point of fact I wanted to clarify, the only match that Andy Roddick has missed since making his debut in 2001 was the 2003 World Group first round against Croatia in Zagreb. That came after Roddick's semifinal run at the Australia Open which included the five-hour quarterfinal match against El Aynaoui. Roddick has played in the 15 of the 16 ties since the 2001 first round.
If there are no other questions in queue, thanks again everyone for joining the call. We will send out the transcript and press release shortly.

Deboogle!.
01-31-2007, 11:13 PM
I hadn't heard that the site for the QF had already been picked/announced, but based on what PMac said it has to be Winston-Salem, NC (indoors)

oh here, i found a news article
============
Davis Cup coming?
Joel Coliseum announced as potential site of Davis Cup tie

By John Delong
JOURNAL REPORTER

How good does the United States Tennis Association feel about holding a Davis Cup tie in Winston-Salem?

How comfortable are USTA officials with Don Flow and the management at Joel Coliseum?

The answers were evident yesterday when the USTA announced that it has selected Joel Coliseum to be the site of a quarterfinal tie on the weekend of April 6-8 should the U.S. beat the Czech Republic in a first-round tie next month.

Jeff Ryan, the USTA's director of team events, said that the USTA was so impressed with Winston-Salem's bid that it didn't even open the bidding to any other potential sites.:eek: And, the USTA broke tradition by awarding a second-round site before the first round has been played. :o:tape:

"We've never done anything like this in the 10 years I've been at the USTA," Ryan said yesterday. "But, you know, this isn't like somebody out in the middle of a sandy beach or something making this proposal. We know what they've done in the past here. We know their reputation. They took the initiative, they looked at the draw and got on the phone and put together a creative proposal, and we tossed it around with the players and everyone I normally have to check with, and everyone was all for it."

Joel Coliseum was the host of a World Group qualifier in 2001, when the United States beat India.

The USTA made its selection with one contingency. The U.S. obviously must win its first-round tie in order to advance to the second round. The U.S. rates as a slight, but not overwhelming, favorite to beat the Czech Republic.

"All the players, honestly, they really do love it here and they wanted to come back here," Ryan said. "The only obstacle the whole time has been the issue of even talking about it now. We want to be careful about how that sets in the public eye. It is a bold decision when you think about it, to go out and say, 'Hey, hey, we're going to take on the world ... and oh, by the way, we have to win this other match first.' "

The first-round tie between the U.S. and the Czech Republic will be played in Ostrava, Czech Republic, on the weekend of Feb. 9-11.

Should the U.S. win, it would face the winner of the first-round tie between Switzerland and Spain.

That's what prompted Flow, the chairman of the Winston-Salem Organizing Committee, so eager to land a possible quarterfinal tie.

Switzerland would likely have Roger Federer, the world's No. 1-ranked player, although Federer recently said he would skip the first-round tie against Spain. Spain is led by Rafael Nadal, the world's No. 2 ranked player and the reigning French Open champion. So either way, some of the top players in the world would be competing.

The U.S. team will likely be made up of James Blake and Andy Roddick, No. 5 and 7 respectively in the latest ATP rankings, plus the No. 1-ranked doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan.

"This will be like the Wimbledon or U.S. Open semifinals or finals," Flow said. "With the U.S., you're talking about two of the top 10 with Roddick and Blake, and the Bryans are No. 1 in doubles, and Federer's No. 1 in the world, and Nadal's No. 2 in the world. So the way we looked at it, this is the big one."

Flow said he decided to get proactive as soon as he saw the draw for the 2007 World Group, which was announced in late September. He made an inquiry shortly thereafter, then followed up with an official bid about two months ago.

"We were very aggressive in going after this," Flow said. "We looked at the draw and saw Spain and Switzerland, and we thought that's a pairing we could be competing against a lot of large cities. So we elected to get involved real early and make our case. I just thought, with a draw like that, you're looking at Madison Square Garden or Los Angeles bidding, so we have to get ahead of the curve on this. And we were pretty relentless. I was calling on holidays and everything else. I just thought, this is our chance right now."

Flow said that details involving tickets and specific events in conjunction with the tie will be announced at a later date.

"We're working real hard already," he said. "Our goal is to put on the best Davis Cup tie ever. We're outlining a lot of ideas. We want to integrate the whole community like we did in 2001, and make it even better. We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves because we've got to beat the Czech Republic first, but this is really exciting."

Tytta!.
01-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks, Deb. :kiss:

TwistedDesire.
02-01-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm kind of confused (as usual).
The teams playing in the second round have been announced?
That doesn't make much sense?
Or did I just completely misunderstand?

Deboogle!.
02-01-2007, 01:22 AM
You completely misunderstood ;) The first round is next weekend. But the USTA has picked where the next round (in April) would be, assuming the US wins next weekend.

TwistedDesire.
02-01-2007, 01:35 AM
lmao. Thanks. (=
But if USA doesn't win (which really won't happen), they'll have to change the second round's location?
Jeez I'm slow. Seriously.

[useless information]
And there's a tennis discussion on another board and a lot of people dislike Andy - and it's kind of annoying lol. Someone wrote like three long paragraphs about why he doesn't like Andy. :rolleyes: [/useless information]

jeahhh!
02-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Well if USA loses now Im blaming it on the usta for screwing them

Deboogle!.
02-01-2007, 01:37 AM
lmao. Thanks. (=
But if USA doesn't win (which really won't happen), they'll have to change the second round's location?
Jeez I'm slow. Seriously.Well yes, because then it would be between Spain/Switzerland and the Czech Republic, so the location would be worked out between the two of them and whoever has the right to host it. It just so happens that if the US wins, we would play either Spain or Switzerland at home, so they could think about it in advance

[useless information]
And there's a tennis discussion on another board and a lot of people dislike Andy - and it's kind of annoying lol. Someone wrote like three long paragraphs about why he doesn't like Andy. :rolleyes: [/useless information]Sure, try every other part of this board except for the Andy forum :lol:

TwistedDesire.
02-01-2007, 01:38 AM

They are jinxing it, aren't they? Psh.

TwistedDesire.
02-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Well yes, because then it would be between Spain/Switzerland and the Czech Republic, so the location would be worked out between the two of them and whoever has the right to host it. It just so happens that if the US wins, we would play either Spain or Switzerland at home, so they could think about it in advance

Where would I be without Deb explaining to me every single article? :)

Sure, try every other part of this board except for the Andy forum :lol:

Oh hell naw. Clearly I didn't visit any of those. I went straight to this section.

Deboogle!.
02-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Where would I be without Deb explaining to me every single article? :) confused? :p j/k :hug:Oh hell naw. Clearly I didn't visit any of those. I went straight to this section.Well, smart of you :lol:

TwistedDesire.
02-01-2007, 01:46 AM
confused? :p j/k :hug:
I would probably have to give up tennis and start loving bowling or something.
Thank god you exist. :p

Well, smart of you :lol:

I suppose I have my moments too! haha.

tangerine_dream
02-01-2007, 01:59 AM
You said it. Now, thanks to the USTA jumping the gun and their jinxing, watch our guys lose this first round. :o

jeahhh!
02-01-2007, 02:01 AM
You said it. Now, thanks to the USTA jumping the gun and their jinxing, watch our guys lose this first round. :o

Yeah those evil USTA bastards

partygirl
02-01-2007, 02:34 AM
watch our guys lose this first round. :oNo thank you.:baby:

Jimnik
02-01-2007, 05:02 AM
UNITED STATES TENNIS ASSOCIATION MEDIA CONFERENCE

January 31, 2007

Patrick McEnroe

Q. If there was ever a chance for you guys to get off the snide and win on clay, this seems to be it, right?
PATRICK McENROE: Well, we've won a couple of matches on clay. Since I have been around, we haven't won one in the world group. We have won a couple to requalify.
:scared:

Q. Do you think Andy's newfound style of really attacking the net is going to suit him well for clay or is he going to have to change it up a little bit?
PATRICK McENROE: I would like to see him still be aggressive. I like his court position, the way he was playing in Australia. I think he can play that same kind of way on clay. Look, he is not going to be ten feet behind the baseline on any surface, particularly on clay, is not going to be the best place for him.
Yes, I would like to continue to see him do what he's doing and his improved ability at the net, why not come in a little bit more. I think he can be successful playing that kind of tennis on clay.
Why didn't you tell him that in Moscow? :smash:

Q. I want to ask you, with a relatively short turnaround time, have the guys been able to do anything as far as practicing on clay court? Or will your practice be confined to just the week that you're there? Can you do something?
PATRICK McENROE: Andy is already down in Florida.:yeah: He got to Florida last night.:yeah: He is practicing on clay this week.:yeah: And Jay Berger who is going to come over as my assistant again for this match has been helping him get some practice down there.
James, I think as you know, is playing in Delray. He is playing some matches there on hard court. And the Bryan brothers are also down in Florida practicing on clay.
So we will meet up in the Czech Republic on Sunday morning,:yeah: and that will be when our practice over there gets underway. And James, you know, we hope will be arriving Monday after he wins the title in Delray.
This is red clay, right? I hope they're not fooling themselves by practising with fast American-style tennis balls on green clay.

Q. The fact that the second round site has already been announced, how bold a move is that, in your opinion?:scratch: :confused:
PATRICK McENROE: Well, we haven't -- we're obviously well aware that we need to take care of the first round; but I think from a logistics standpoint, it's helpful to everyone to know when you have such -- you know, one of the real challenges of Davis Cup is the incredibly quick turnaround. So I think setting up a place -- most of the time that's done any way. But I think it was just announced in your neck of the country just to help out with promoting the event, which I think is one of the challenges of Davis Cup.
So I think if you can do that in the right circumstances -- we all know we need to win the first round. And it is sort of irrelevant to how we do in the first round.
I will say if we do get through the first round, then all the guys are very much looking forward to going back there. As you remember, of course, the last time we played there was my first tie as a captain at home and who did we have playing singles but Roddick and Blake. They have grown up quite a bit in the years, and I'm sure they would love to come back there again.
Damn it. :(
The last thing the team needs is for someone to jinx them before the tie is played.

Q. Another part of Roddick's game, he seems to have flattened out and is driving that two-hander. That might not work as well, though, on clay, right?
PATRICK McENROE: I think it can under certain conditions but, yeah, I would certainly like to see him -- as I said, if he's standing closer to the baseline, I think good things happen. So he gets a lot of spin on the forehand. He can get a little more spin on the backhand if he needs it. If he is driving that ball and hitting it deep, it will be successful on clay as well.
:yeah: Good, so make sure he hears you this time.

Deboogle!.
02-01-2007, 05:05 AM
This is red clay, right? I hope they're not fooling themselves by practising with fast American-style tennis balls on green clay.I'd be surprised if they're on red clay, but they might have one or two courts of it in Florida.... :unsure: :yeah: Good, so make sure he hears you this time.It's not a matter of "hearing" it's a matter of Andy listening :sobbing: He knows damn well what he needs to do :sobbing:

Jimnik
02-01-2007, 05:06 AM
I hadn't heard that the site for the QF had already been picked/announced, but based on what PMac said it has to be Winston-Salem, NC (indoors)

I hope this doesn't get out into GM. It will only fuel the American "arrogance" hatred that exists around there.

Jimnik
02-01-2007, 05:10 AM
I'd be surprised if they're on red clay, but they might have one or two courts of it in Florida.... :unsure:
Damn it. :(
I hope they fly out as early as possible.

acoffeygirl
02-01-2007, 05:11 AM
I think the interview said something about Sunday.

Golfnduck
02-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I hope the clay in Florida is red. I am glad that Andy is getting some practice in. Hopefully he will be ready to go and win this tie.

kaylee
02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
It depends if they are say somewhere like Saddlebrook then they have clay courts and red clay at that cos I have played on them - hmmm I have good feelings about this, the team really want to win it this year and I think that they have a good chance!

renee_chin
02-02-2007, 01:49 AM
I hope they fly out as early as possible.

According to a very reliable source, they're flying out on Saturday, arriving in Ostrava on Sunday.

Deboogle!.
02-02-2007, 01:54 AM
According to a very reliable source, they're flying out on Saturday, arriving in Ostrava on Sunday.That source being PMac in his press conference? :p:lol:

renee_chin
02-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Haha, I didn't read his interview - too many words :p :o

It's from elsewhere, someone from Andy's camp :secret:

Deboogle!.
02-02-2007, 02:03 AM
:lol: Well, PMac said they'll be meeting in Ostrava on Sunday morning, except James of course if he plays the final in Delray :p ;)

Sean.J.S.
02-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Good luck in DC Andy!

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 07:06 PM
They just said on TTC that Andy had been practicing on RED clay courts in the Miami area this past week... they get stuff wrong a lot, though, so I don't know if I trust it 100% :lol:

acoffeygirl
02-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I heard that and thought the same thing!

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Things could get dicey for the us team with the bad weather in florida, James might not get to Ostrava by Monday night or even Tuesday.

Great.

:mad:
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16515&bannerregion=

Blake has his own schedule to worry about. He’s due in Ostrava for the United States’ clay-court Davis Cup tie with the Czech Republic as soon as possible. Blake was supposed to be on a plane on Monday to join captain Patrick McEnroe and his teammates. Instead he’ll be on a hard court in Delray Beach.

"I’m supposed to be leaving tomorrow out of Tampa at noon and that’s clearly not going to happen," said Blake. "Patrick’s not going to be too happy with me but I don’t know when I’ll be able to get there now. I’ve gotta go back to the hotel and start dealing with the travel agents and figure out the best possible option."

Jlee
02-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Hmm...that's no good.

Hopefully he'll at least win the title to make it worth staying.

Deboogle!.
02-05-2007, 02:55 AM
Maybe Mike Russell should play, he's been in good form this year and is probably better on clay than James :scratch:

Sean.J.S.
02-05-2007, 06:54 AM
No offence but in the last couple of years, James has proved to be better on clay than Andy.

Maybe Mike Russell should play, he's been in good form this year and is probably better on clay than James :scratch:

Jimnik
02-05-2007, 07:08 AM
No offence but in the last couple of years, James has proved to be better on clay than Andy.
I don't think so. Last year Blake had a 4-6 record on clay.

Andy had a 5-6 record but he was injured in 3 of those matches.

Sofyaxo
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
At least Blake now has a solid excuse if he loses his first match :o

But I'm just going to be quiet now because I don't really like Blake that much to begin with and I'll say something bad.

Fumus
02-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Davis cup on versus this weekend?

Deboogle!.
02-05-2007, 02:39 PM
No offence but in the last couple of years, James has proved to be better on clay than Andy.No offense, but I don't think that's true :lol:
Davis cup on versus this weekend?Yes, I linked the schedule somewhere in this thread.

tangerine_dream
02-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh man, I knew that Delray Beach rain delay would be a problem for James. And worrying about making it to DC, he had too many distractions. :banghead:

I have a bad feeling about this DC match; first the USTA jumping the gun, then James' rain delay and subsequent loss at Delray. Not a good feeling. :unsure:

What about King of Houston clay Mardy? :D

Deboogle!.
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
What about King of Houston clay Mardy? :DUm, HAHAHAHAHA.

I don't think he made the trip with the team anyway, not sure, but Mardy wouldn't really be any better than James, even James with 2 days' practice, IMO.

At least Mike Russell can *actually* play on clay - he's the last American male to make the 2nd week at Roland Garros. :) I was only half-kidding when I suggested he play ;)

Golfnduck
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Hmmm...well this is not good. I wonder why James played Delray anyway? I hope everything works out in the end.

NicoFan
02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I hope it works out too, but just my humble opinion, but no way James should have played Delray Beach.

Hardcourts...to clay in a couple of days, and he's not good on clay.

Insane... I'll be surprised if he's ready. :sad:

Which puts all the pressure on Andy.

chloe
02-05-2007, 11:53 PM
I dont think it was smart of James to Delray beach I feel he should have been preparing on clay. I hope that Andy plays well and we make it through though

Jlee
02-06-2007, 12:23 AM
It's not James' fault that it got rained out, it was mostly bad luck.

...and I don't think that either James or Andy is better on clay. I think they're about even. Evenly terrible. :lol:

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 12:30 AM
No its not his fault about the rain but even if it didn't rain I don't think it was very smart of him to play it, and I think Andy is a little better on clay:scared:

Jlee
02-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I agree...I'm not sure why he played it.

Well, James did beat Almagro on clay. Does that count for something? :lol:

I'll put it this way: I'm not exactly confident in the claycourt abilities of either guy...

NicoFan
02-06-2007, 12:38 AM
I agree...I'm not sure why he played it.

Well, James did beat Almagro on clay. Does that count for something? :lol:

I'll put it this way: I'm not exactly confident in the claycourt abilities of either guy...

I was last week, and now all of a sudden, I've lost confidence. :lol:

Too bad in tennis, we can't make a trade like in other sports. All those great clay court players in South America and Spain - we could trade James for one for them just for Davis Cup. :lol: :lol: They would like it too because I'm sure they could use another hardcourt player for those ties. :yeah:

So I vote for "new rules" for Davis Cup. :)

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 12:45 AM
I was last week, and now all of a sudden, I've lost confidence. :lol:

Too bad in tennis, we can't make a trade like in other sports. All those great clay court players in South America and Spain - we could trade James for one for them just for Davis Cup. :lol: :lol: They would like it too because I'm sure they could use another hardcourt player for those ties. :yeah:

So I vote for "new rules" for Davis Cup. :)

I have a little bit of confidence left and I mean we should win the doubles and I think that Andy and James can both pull out a win:p (but I may be being stupidly optimistic)

NicoFan
02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
We'll definitely win doubles (well I think we'll win doubles).

And Andy should be able to pull out one.

That leaves it up to James to win one. That's where I've lost my confidence... :tape: (sorrrrrrry James :hug:)

Jlee
02-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Aww, poor James. I don't want to trade him. :awww: (Unless he loses...:lol:)

Yeah Bob & Mike will certainly win. Andy and James should each be able to pull out a win, even if they both lose to Berdych they can do that. C'mon guys! *crosses fingers*

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 12:51 AM
We'll definitely win doubles (well I think we'll win doubles).

And Andy should be able to pull out one.

That leaves it up to James to win one. That's where I've lost my confidence... :tape: (sorrrrrrry James :hug:)

Yeah I know but Im trying to stay positive but then I have to remind myself this is James and as much as I like him he always seems to let me down

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 01:22 AM
It's not James' fault that it got rained out, it was mostly bad luck.

...and I don't think that either James or Andy is better on clay. I think they're about even. Evenly terrible. :lol:Well, some of us questioned James playing this tournament long before he was in the final ;) More for his own well-being and fitness than Davis Cup, but now it has really put that in jeopardy too.

Well, James did beat Almagro on clay. Does that count for something? :lol:no more than Andy beating Costa on clay :pI'll put it this way: I'm not exactly confident in the claycourt abilities of either guy...Me neither. The thing is, I was hopeful and optimistic about James's chances against Berdych - not because James is great on clay but because Berdych is not fantastic on it either and James's game matches up with Berdych's (IMO Regardless of surface). So I really thought that James at 100% might get us a 2-0 lead on Friday and that would just be awesome.

But now the Sun-Sentinel is saying that James is not actually even leaving til TOMORROW - that means he won't get to Ostrava until Tuesday night, which means he's not gonna get on clay til Wednesday and he has to play Berdych on Friday.

AKA, forget it.

snaillyyy
02-06-2007, 01:24 AM
ewwww, well any confidence I had, took a nose dive out the window:(

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 01:25 AM
But now the Sun-Sentinel is saying that James is not actually even leaving til TOMORROW - that means he won't get to Ostrava until Tuesday night, which means he's not gonna get on clay til Wednesday and he has to play Berdych on Friday.

:fiery: :fiery: That sucks

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 01:29 AM
:fiery: :fiery: That suckshttp://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-bricker020307,0,5547459.story

He took a half-hour break, then went back on court to play the doubles final while Blake climbed into a car with his long-time coach, Brian Barker, and sped toward his Tampa home, where he was looking forward to a solid night's sleep before a couple of long flights to Prague to join Andy Roddick and the Bryan twins, his U.S. teammates in this weekend's Davis Cup tie against the Czech Republic.

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 01:33 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-bricker020307,0,5547459.story

He took a half-hour break, then went back on court to play the doubles final while Blake climbed into a car with his long-time coach, Brian Barker, and sped toward his Tampa home, where he was looking forward to a solid night's sleep before a couple of long flights to Prague to join Andy Roddick and the Bryan twins, his U.S. teammates in this weekend's Davis Cup tie against the Czech Republic.

He could sleep on a plane:p
who knows he might surprise us and play really well

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 01:35 AM
He could sleep on a plane:p
who knows he might surprise us and play really wellMaybe. anything's possible. It's possible enough that he'll play well because of the lowered expectations or something. Who knows. But it's clay, so I tend to doubt it. Considering how low his and Andy's confidence is on a good day, I don't see it happening. But sure, anything is possible.

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Maybe. anything's possible. It's possible enough that he'll play well because of the lowered expectations or something. Who knows. But it's clay, so I tend to doubt it. Considering how low his and Andy's confidence is on a good day, I don't see it happening. But sure, anything is possible.

Yeah anything is possible I mean I doubt it too but I hope Im wrong

TwistedDesire.
02-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Should I be the delusional fan who goes ANDY WILL WIN!!1!!ONE!ELEVEN!!1 all the time?

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 02:01 AM
Sure, I'm sure they will love you saying that at www.andyroddick.com ;)

TwistedDesire.
02-06-2007, 02:04 AM
I've never visited that board.
You guys definitely don't promote it too well. I'm scared to even click on the link.
Are they all delusional fans?

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 02:07 AM
not ALL. But, you know, majority rules ;) Don't click, save your brain cells :D

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 02:09 AM
I've never visited that board.
You guys definitely don't promote it too well. I'm scared to even click on the link.
Are they all delusional fans?

Yeah I went once and it was scary http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/scared003.gif
I think the majority are pretty delusional.

TwistedDesire.
02-06-2007, 02:09 AM
:lol:
The few that remain anyways.

I only went on his website for his blogs. I gave up quite quickly.

Anyways; best of luck to the USA this weekend.
Maybe they'll surprise us. :D

partygirl
02-06-2007, 02:21 AM
can everyone say N-E-G-A-T-I-V-I-T-Y. :aparty:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 02:22 AM
can everyone say N-E-G-A-T-V-I-T-Y. :aparty:Actually, no, how would one say negatvity?

:)

partygirl
02-06-2007, 02:23 AM
you have to give people one second to correct their stupidity:fiery:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 02:24 AM
you have to give people one second to correct their stupidity:fiery:Sorry, no can do :)

partygirl
02-06-2007, 02:25 AM
Arrrg.:kiss:

Nunyabeezwax
02-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Arrrg.:kiss:
I believe that's supposed to be spelled "Arrrgh."

partygirl
02-06-2007, 02:35 AM
:crying2:

TwistedDesire.
02-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Awww, haha.
I'll be on your team then! :p

Nunyabeezwax
02-06-2007, 02:39 AM
:crying2:
Awwww I'm just messin'! We have to get together for lunch sometime and I'll give you a hug and make you feel all better.

partygirl
02-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Awww, haha.
I'll be on your team then! :p
Excellent, only there is no way to beat them:cool:...and they know it.
Maybe i do it on purpose.:p

Awwww I'm just messin'! We have to get together for lunch sometime and I'll give you a hug and make you feel all better.

yeah, i spell a lot better in person & only come off 1/2 as dumb.:dance:

TwistedDesire.
02-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Excellent, only there is no way to beat them:cool:...and they know it.
Maybe i do it on purpose.:p

Let's not forget I'm delusional. :p

Jlee
02-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Well, some of us questioned James playing this tournament long before he was in the final ;) More for his own well-being and fitness than Davis Cup, but now it has really put that in jeopardy too.

Yeah, I guess I was putting a less negative spin on it. ;)

no more than Andy beating Costa on clay :pMe neither. The thing is, I was hopeful and optimistic about James's chances against Berdych - not because James is great on clay but because Berdych is not fantastic on it either and James's game matches up with Berdych's (IMO Regardless of surface). So I really thought that James at 100% might get us a 2-0 lead on Friday and that would just be awesome.

lol, fine. I still wouldn't rate one's clay court game as better than the other's...but that's me. Andy tends to be much better in DC though, obviously. Yeah hopefully James can take advantage of Berdych on clay, even if Andy doesn't.

AKA, forget it.

Eww, that's no good!

chloe
02-06-2007, 03:01 AM
yeah, i spell a lot better in person & only come off 1/2 as dumb.:dance:

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/signs009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 03:06 AM
lol, fine. I still wouldn't rate one's clay court game as better than the other's...but that's me. Andy tends to be much better in DC though, obviously. Yeah hopefully James can take advantage of Berdych on clay, even if Andy doesn't.Andy has certainly done better on it, albeit not hugely. I think on paper, Andy's game is more adaptable to clay because he can put more spin on his shots and I think the fact that James takes the ball early is to his detriment on clay. But no, it's not a major difference. It's also not particularly relevant to this situation, and I don't even know how the subject got brought up :lol:

The important thing, to me, is that James didn't recognize that: 1) even if you don't make it deep deep into the AO draw, it's still a mental/physical battle to recover from the energy you expend during a slam, not to mention the 16 hour time difference in this case, and 2) that he would really benefit from an extra week of rest and practice on clay with the rest of the guys. I know I've been tough on James for close to a year now, but I think it's decisions like this that make it harder and harder each time to forgive. There are people in GM who are saying that the appearance fee he got to play Delray was more important to him than Davis Cup. I honestly don't think that's true. As much as I've questioned James recently, I think his character is impeccable and that he really does want to help his team win Davis Cup. But it's definitely hard to see that when he decides to play Delray, knowing full well how weak the field was and that he was probably going to make it late into the tournament, etc. I realize that the rain was unexpected and whatnot, but even if he had won the title my guess is that if you actually asked James, he'd rather have a shot to win Davis Cup than win another MM title. And that's why the whole thing is just so peculiar for me.

At the end of the day, even if this didn't affect Davis Cup, he's still scheduled to play something like 11 weeks in a row, all the way through to Houston. maybe he won't ultimately play them all, but the fact that he even considered it in the first place is really questionable for me.

Jlee
02-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Andy has certainly done better on it, albeit not hugely. I think on paper, Andy's game is more adaptable to clay because he can put more spin on his shots and I think the fact that James takes the ball early is to his detriment on clay. But no, it's not a major difference. It's also not particularly relevant to this situation, and I don't even know how the subject got brought up :lol:

The important thing, to me, is that James didn't recognize that: 1) even if you don't make it deep deep into the AO draw, it's still a mental/physical battle to recover from the energy you expend during a slam, not to mention the 16 hour time difference in this case, and 2) that he would really benefit from an extra week of rest and practice on clay with the rest of the guys. I know I've been tough on James for close to a year now, but I think it's decisions like this that make it harder and harder each time to forgive.

At the end of the day, even if this didn't affect Davis Cup, he's still scheduled to play something like 11 weeks in a row, all the way through to Houston. maybe he won't ultimately play them all, but the fact that he even considered it in the first place is really questionable for me.

Sorry, my fault for bringing it up. ;) I don't know, I think in the end it comes down to who usually plays better in DC matches. And that's Andy, no question.

I agree with you, his schedule is completely insane. I don't understand why he has all of those tournaments on as possibilities. He just got a new trainer, he needs to be giving him better advice than he obviously is at the moment. :lol:

LilyRoseAva
02-06-2007, 03:34 AM
davis cup

http://www.ahaonline.cz/public/big/07-02-06/15roddick_4x.jpg

http://www.ahaonline.cz/public/big/07-02-06/15roddick_5x.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Merci!

Coffee on the practice court? OH Andy :lol:

williaer
02-06-2007, 04:59 AM
Thanks Daniela!! :)

Wow, Andy looks pretty wrecked there :p

partygirl
02-06-2007, 07:38 AM
http://www.ahaonline.cz/public/big/07-02-06/15roddick_5x.jpg
PaRtIed OuT.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen136.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen140.gif

http://www.ahaonline.cz/public/big/07-02-06/15roddick_4x.jpg

Were the hats an attempt to hide a brash bleaching?:aplot::smoke:

Jade Fox
02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Just when I thought he couldn't get any dorkier....he drinks coffee on court.

Serves you right Andy, for all that partying:p.

rina
02-06-2007, 09:19 AM
could it be a protein shake?
do people usually drink coffee in glasses? i thought it wasnt good because of the heat? isnt that why they use mugs?

(and again, rina shows you how unintelligent she is in her posts)

surfpinky
02-06-2007, 11:06 AM
it might be a protein shake, that's what mine looks like d:

surfpinky
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
omg, not andy related, but dc related, tommy haas. new pictures. on getty. *faints*

Winston's Human
02-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Maybe Andy is drinking coffee because it is cold?

The weather seems to be in the 30s with snow/rain. I would not be surprised if the tennis facility is quite drafty.

Caren
02-06-2007, 11:41 AM
We used to have cups like those, they're made to handle the heat of coffee/tea just like ceramic mugs are. I don't know how though lol.

But yeah...James :retard:
I duno i'm still a bit optimistic, just due to the fact that everyone's not expecting him to do well i think he will.

snaillyyy
02-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks Daniela! :lol: Looks like he needs more than that drink to wake up.

tennis lover
02-06-2007, 01:08 PM
such negativity! :awww:
:rolls: those photos!

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 02:07 PM
He just looks tired. jetlag will do that to you :p Mike doesn't look so great in the pictures of him I saw either :p

could it be a protein shake?
do people usually drink coffee in glasses? i thought it wasnt good because of the heat? isnt that why they use mugs?

(and again, rina shows you how unintelligent she is in her posts)I've seen coffee mugs made of glass, both here in the States to buy in stores and on TV travel shows about Europe where they always go to coffee shops. So yeah, I would say that you can drink coffee out of glass. It seems kind of odd to have glass like that on a sporting court, you would think they would just go somewhere and get it in paper like Starbucks, but I think Ostrava is a pretty small town so they might just drink what they're given ;)

Maybe Andy is drinking coffee because it is cold?

The weather seems to be in the 30s with snow/rain. I would not be surprised if the tennis facility is quite drafty.Stop making sense :p They're all bundled up in sweats, I hope it's not going to be that cold in there when they play, otherwise it will play vvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy ssssssllllllllooooooowwwwwwlllllllyyyyyyyyy :unsure:

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
omg, not andy related, but dc related, tommy haas. new pictures. on getty. *faints*holy fucking shit.

tangerine_dream
02-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Wow, Andy looks pretty wrecked there :p

Still feeling the Super Bowl hangover. :lol:

omg, not andy related, but dc related, tommy haas. new pictures. on getty. *faints*
Tommy's sword :inlove:

kaylee
02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
hahahaha you guys crack me up. First, if it is cold indoors where I play drinking coffee on court is nothing new, second with the time difference and flying time you have to be tired, try flying Canada to UK it is 8 hour flight plus 6 hour time difference, you are bound to be sluggish and yeah Anyd hun enough of the partying down to proper DC business please. Last poor James I have to agree with Deb why play Delray, the points don't count and you have an insane schedule to boot! I still think the US will win though!

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
:spit:

blosson
02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Woa, unshaven and uncombed.

Winston's Human
02-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Andy looks like he is in the early stages of the Unabomber look.

Someone get him a razor and a comb. Stat!

surfpinky
02-06-2007, 05:49 PM
BRING BACK THE HAT AHHHH dsdf

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Czechs pin hopes on clay in Davis Cup
Tue Feb 6, 2007 6:34 PM GMT15

PRAGUE, Feb 6 (Reuters) - U.S. number one Andy Roddick was cautious on Tuesday about his team's chances against outsiders Czech Republic in their Davis Cup first-round tie this weekend.

"We have no reason to underestimate anything," Roddick said. "The Czechs have two players in the top 20."

The United States are clear favourites with world number four Roddick and number six James Blake playing in the singles.

Blake is expected to join the team on Wednesday, travelling from Delray Beach in Florida where he lost a delayed final to Belgian Xavier Malisse on Monday.

A doubles partnership of Bob and Mike Bryan, coming off a successful defence of their doubles title at the Australian Open, completes the U.S. team.

The Czechs, who have won just one of five Davis Cup encounters with the United States, are pinning their hopes on a slow clay court they have built inside the CEZ Arena in the industrial city of Ostrava that could help them limit the power of Roddick's booming serve.

They will count on 12th-ranked Tomas Berdych, who beat Roddick in their sole encounter last year in Madrid but has lost both times he has met Blake so far.

"Service really is the basis of his (Roddick's) game," said Berdych. "But nothing can be done to prepare for that ahead of time. There is no other way but getting used to it during the match."

The Czechs will miss world number 19 Stepanek, who has retired from the Davis Cup.

Captain Jaroslav Navratil also named world number 91 Lukas Dlouhy, the 162nd-ranked Ivo Minar and doubles specialist Pavel Vizner in his squad. He has not said who will join Berdych in the singles.

Minar is recovering from illness."I have been somewhat weak since Sunday, it got even worse on Monday but it is quite a lot better today," Minar said. "I practised normally."

Sofyaxo
02-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm pretty sure Tommy isn't the best person to give a sword to :p

Aww Andy looks cute all hung over tired. Except he really really needs his hat back

tangerine_dream
02-06-2007, 07:54 PM
holy fucking shit.

Yummy :lick: ;)

blosson
02-06-2007, 07:55 PM

why is he pretending to be he-man?

Sofyaxo
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Tommy has one of the best bodies I have ever seen in my life.

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
;) http://www.menstennisforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/42804/cat/787

snaillyyy
02-06-2007, 08:34 PM
That certainly warms me up on a cold day;);)

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Sudden death came to court in Ostrava today. Before completing its first practice in preparation for this weekend's Davis Cup tie against the host Czech Republic, the United States Davis Cup team has already suffered its first clay-court casualty.

Andy Roddick's racquet is dead.

There are indications Roddick had a hand in the untimely passing with some court-side observers suggesting it was a crime of passion as a raging Roddick played the role of executioner in spontaneously smashing his blue Babolat racquet to the court. Roddick vigorously asserted his innocence in insisting it was a frame-job.

Asked about the racquet's premature exit, Roddick explained the frame expired of self-inflicted causes.

"That racquet just didn't want to be here anymore," Roddick said, prompting U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe to reinforce Roddick's alibi while questioning the racquet's commitment to the Davis Cup cause: "It wasn't supposed to make the trip," McEnroe said.

"Yeah, it wasn't supposed to make the trip in the first place and once it got here, the racquet was just very angry," Roddick deadpanned. "It jumped out of my hand and then it jumped from the court into the stands. So, it was a racquet suicide."

rest of the article (rehashing old quotes etc) here: http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16528&bannerregion=

snaillyyy
02-06-2007, 08:54 PM
:haha: :haha: oh my.

TwistedDesire.
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
:haha::haha:
Oh, andy, you duck.

NicoFan
02-06-2007, 11:16 PM

Sudden death came to court in Ostrava today. Before completing its first practice in preparation for this weekend's Davis Cup tie against the host Czech Republic, the United States Davis Cup team has already suffered its first clay-court casualty.

There are indications Roddick had a hand in the untimely passing with some court-side observers suggesting it was a crime of passion as a raging Roddick played the role of executioner in spontaneously smashing his blue Babolat racquet to the court. Roddick vigorously asserted his innocence in insisting it was a frame-job.

Asked about the racquet's premature exit, Roddick explained the frame expired of self-inflicted causes.

"That racquet just didn't want to be here anymore," Roddick said, prompting U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe to reinforce Roddick's alibi while questioning the racquet's commitment to the Davis Cup cause: "It wasn't supposed to make the trip," McEnroe said.

"Yeah, it wasn't supposed to make the trip in the first place and once it got here, the racquet was just very angry," Roddick deadpanned. "It jumped out of my hand and then it jumped from the court into the stands. So, it was a racquet suicide."

Andy is the funniest guy in the ATP. :lol: :lol:

Racquet suicide... :haha:

jeahhh!
02-06-2007, 11:19 PM

rest of the article (rehashing old quotes etc) here: http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16528&bannerregion=

:haha: :haha: :haha:

PinkFeatherBoa
02-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Oh, Andy.
Boys and their toys! :lol:

tennis lover
02-06-2007, 11:55 PM
:lol: glad to see some things never change! :D

jeahhh!
02-07-2007, 12:19 AM
;) http://www.menstennisforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/42804/cat/787

:drool:

surfpinky
02-07-2007, 12:25 AM
|X

knight_ley
02-07-2007, 01:20 AM
:haha:

renee_chin
02-07-2007, 01:36 AM
:spit: :rolls:

Sofyaxo
02-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Aww and it was such a pretty racquet too. :sad:

Jade Fox
02-07-2007, 08:52 AM
:sad: :sad:
My condolences goes out to the racquet's family. This is going to be a difficult time for them.:hug:

Anyone know where I can send flowers?

Golfnduck
02-07-2007, 12:59 PM
OMG, what a dork :haha: Well, as long as he gets it out of his system.

Loremaster
02-07-2007, 01:46 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

kaylee
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
hahahahaha classic Andy!

Deboogle!.
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
:)

there's a lot of stuff in Czech newspapers, too bad I know no czech and can't even find a translator online that includes it :ras:

jeahhh!
02-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks he looks a little out of it?

Loremaster
02-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I hope USA will go through.

Bryans are 100% certain win, and both James and Andy should win against Dlouhy who is no. 91 even on clay. I hope matches against Berdych will be close ;)

knight_ley
02-07-2007, 02:14 PM
:dance: I'm excited!!!

Deboogle!.
02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
John's insight :inlove:

Davis Cup Time

Posted By Andyroddick.com Staff On 7th February 2007 @ 14:19 In Coach's Corner | Comments Disabled

Andy has been preparing for the upcoming Davis cup tie in the Czech Republic. We spent a good week in South Florida last week getting used to the clay again. The team arrived in Ostrava on Sunday and have been practicing at the site to prepare for this weekend’s matches. It will be a tough transition from the Rebound Ace in Melbourne to the Red Clay of Europe. Patience is going to be key for Andy this weekend.

kaylee
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Whilst none of the US team is exactly overjoyed at playing on clay (yes I know the Bryans won the French) but they more they play on it the more they will get used to it. I am getting excited too!