Who is the smartest ATP player (tennis wise)? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the smartest ATP player (tennis wise)?

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-28-2006, 04:42 AM
I would have to say Hewitt as he achieved so much by psychologically defeating opponents even though physically he is not as strong.

Coria, Nadal & Sampras are also up there in tennis smarts.

atheneglaukopis
09-28-2006, 05:54 AM
Federer, because he defeats his opponents psychologically in the locker room. Otherwise, he has so little talent that on the court any man, woman, or child could beat him. The reason it doesn't work on Rafa is that Rafa is not that smart--his vaunted toughness is a failure of anything to make an impression on him mentally. Unlike, say, Hewitt, Rafa is physically very strong, and therefore he can win without smarts.

Insert standard MTF satire disclaimer (though 50% of posters will take me seriously anyway).

Peoples
09-28-2006, 06:32 AM
RFK should stop polluting MTF with his rubbish threads.

Clara Bow
09-28-2006, 06:34 AM
I think Federer is quite smart- and Coria back in the day was very smart. I think if Marcos could harness some consistancy- he does have some real tennis smarts. I don't always agree with PMac- but I do think Marcos -when he is on- has a great sense of the dynamics of the match and can play some great intelligent tennis.

The reason it doesn't work on Rafa is that Rafa is not that smart--his vaunted toughness is a failure of anything to make an impression on him mentally.

While I am not saying that Rafa is the smartest player out there- I do think his tennis smarts are sometimes given short shift. I don't think he is a mindless player. He can play smart- and play some very well thought out points. I wish he would do it more often. He can do some great point construction- and even if he is physically tough- that does not mean that he is a mindless idiot out there on court. I know that some posters here call Rafa "mindless" a lot- but I really don't think that is fair at all.

atheneglaukopis
09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
I think Federer is quite smart- and Coria back in the day was very smart. I think if Marcos could harness some consistancy- he does have some real tennis smarts. I don't always agree with PMac- but I do think Marcos -when he is on- has a great sense of the dynamics of the match and can play some great intelligent tennis.

While I am not saying that Rafa is the smartest player out there- I do think his tennis smarts are sometimes given short shift. I don't think he is a mindless player. He can play smart- and play some very well thought out points. I wish he would do it more often. He can do some great point construction- and even if he is physically tough- that does not mean that he is a mindless idiot out there on court. I know that some posters here call Rafa "mindless" a lot- but I really don't think that is fair at all.I also don't think Federer is more talentless than any man, woman, or child, hence the word S-A-T-I-R-E.

:secret: I looked at who started the thread and asked myself, "Hmm, how can I use his logic to make Federer look good and Nadal look bad?" I am personally a big fan of both players, even though this makes me rarer and possibly loonier than a dodo. :lol:

Clara Bow
09-28-2006, 06:56 AM
I also don't think Federer is more talentless than any man, woman, or child, hence the word S-A-T-I-R-E.

Sorry- I have a hard time getting satire at this late hour. :) Darn my insomia!

I am personally a big fan of both players, even though this makes me rarer and possibly loonier than a dodo.

Well they are two of my favorite current players as well - so I guess I will go with you for a straitjacket fitting. ;)

suus21
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Agassi was very smart

Horatio Caine
09-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Genuine question - how do you measure "smartness?" :scratch:

Jaap
09-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Tursunov, Acasuso and Roddick IMO.

Sunset of Age
09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
I also don't think Federer is more talentless than any man, woman, or child, hence the word S-A-T-I-R-E.

:secret: I looked at who started the thread and asked myself, "Hmm, how can I use his logic to make Federer look good and Nadal look bad?" I am personally a big fan of both players, even though this makes me rarer and possibly loonier than a dodo. :lol:

Here's another one, you're not alone! :wavey:

Great post, BTW. S-A-T-I-R-E indeed. Should be more of that over here.

bobjoe66
09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
federer wouldnt be so great without being smart, and doesnt particularly relay on one big shot.

and coria, when he was no3 in world and best on clay, no big shots at all really just constructed the points and out foxed his opposition.

GlennMirnyi
09-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Nadal's very intelligent, yes!
Example:
"Ball bounce, no?"
"No, no?"
"Yes, no?"
"What, no?"
:haha:

Stop with these rubbish threads.

MarieS
09-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Tursunov, Acasuso and Roddick IMO.

I would add Verdasco and Gonzalez to that list.

bobjoe66
09-28-2006, 08:44 PM
I would add Verdasco and Gonzalez to that list.

forgot karlovic

simona21
09-28-2006, 08:49 PM
i think andy roddick is smart...his inteview is just like getting knowlege without knowing....the way he answer the questions in fenamonal

RonE
09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Greg Rusedski.

Oh, and for the record Goran Ivanisevic was the most mentally stable player to ever play the game.

cmurray
09-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Example:
"Ball bounce, no?"
"No, no?"
"Yes, no?"
"What, no?"

Um, just because he doesn't speak English fluently doesn't mean he's unintelligent.

I'm gonna throw Andy Murray into the mix. With his fitness (or lack thereof) he shouldn't be winning ANY matches. That kid relies very heavily on his ability to construct a point.

Federer for obvious reasons. Nobody can play that kind of beautiful tennis and not know how to think quickly on the court.

Andre played smart tennis too.

Allstar
09-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Henman and Stepanek spring to mind. Both maximise(d) their limited ability.

MisterQ
09-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Hard to evaluate smartness on the court, but I'm always impressed by those who are in one sense limited (by foot speed, lack of power, or lack of variety) but can think through situations to find ways to make their games effective:

Hewitt, Nalbandian, Nadal, Agassi (later version)

Federer is harder to evaluate since he is often fast and talented enough to pull himself out of jams that he gets himself into. :lol: ;) But his changes of strategy are often quite astute.

Bagelicious
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh, and for the record Goran Ivanisevic was the most mentally stable player to ever play the game.

Just like Marat!

I think RFK's recent thread polluting is coming about due to his gradually growing love for Fed... there seems to be an undercurrent of reluctant admiration to them - he doth protest too much, methinks.

It's as though he has to remind himself of how much he hates Fed by starting as many threads about him as possible.

Come over to the dark side RFK! There's enough room for you! :wavey:

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Just like Marat!

I think RFK's recent thread polluting is coming about due to his gradually growing love for Fed... there seems to be an undercurrent of reluctant admiration to them - he doth protest too much, methinks.

It's as though he has to remind himself of how much he hates Fed by starting as many threads about him as possible.

Come over to the dark side RFK! There's enough room for you!

I though the Rafa side was the dark side :D

I love Federer becuase his losses and Fedtard reactions are hilarious.

~*BGT*~
09-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Example:
"Ball bounce, no?"
"No, no?"
"Yes, no?"
"What, no?"

:lol: You a'int right.

Corey Feldman
09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Henman in his prime was smart, he won many matches against far more raw talented players than him, he just outfoxed them... 'the smart brit' as Bilbo would say.

Ivanisevic called him 'the professor of tennis'

Michael Stich was another very good tactical player.
Bruguera and Chang as well.

NYCtennisfan
09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Federer. He has an uncanny ability of changing strategy, when to employ certain shots, when to switch to slice, where to serve, where to anticipate the return, and knowing where the ball is going to be hit.

One very telling stat is the # of aces served against him after the first set. Most of the aces against him are always served in the 1st set. Then he starts to figure out the pattern his opponent his using. Blake hit 5 aces in the 1st set against him at this year's AO and then wound up with 8 total. It's almost always the same with everyone he plays. It's like two kids playing rock, scissors, paper. One kid figures out after 3 or 4 games the pattern his opponent is using.

One could also point to how he changed his game over the years. He knew that s/v tennis didn't really suit him since he was only using a fraction of his enormous talent and game. He realized that he was giving players like Hewitt, Nalbandian, and Agassi a chance to end the point on one return therefore negating the tremendous game that he possessed.

NYCtennisfan
09-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Henman in his prime was smart, he won many matches against far more raw talented players than him, he just outfoxed them... 'the smart brit' as Bilbo would say.

Ivanisevic called him 'the professor of tennis'

Michael Stich was another very good tactical player.
Bruguera and Chang as well.

Stich definitely. He was so versatile that he could employ so many different strategies and often did so correctly except against Agassi for some reason. I was in the stands for his final against Agassi at the USO and he didn't change his gameplan at all and seemed quite accepting of the runner-up position.

Foosimoo
09-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Olivier Rochus. :rolls: :p

MisterQ
09-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Stich definitely. He was so versatile that he could employ so many different strategies and often did so correctly except against Agassi for some reason. I was in the stands for his final against Agassi at the USO and he didn't change his gameplan at all and seemed quite accepting of the runner-up position.

You're right, Stich was at a loss when it came to Agassi. I remember an interview where he said he just couldn't make anything happen against him. Ended up 6-0 head-to-head.

Bilbo
09-28-2006, 11:28 PM
"The smart Brit" Tim Henman

Agassi too

supersexynadal
09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Federer, because he defeats his opponents psychologically in the locker room. Otherwise, he has so little talent that on the court any man, woman, or child could beat him. The reason it doesn't work on Rafa is that Rafa is not that smart--his vaunted toughness is a failure of anything to make an impression on him mentally. Unlike, say, Hewitt, Rafa is physically very strong, and therefore he can win without smarts.

Insert standard MTF satire disclaimer (though 50% of posters will take me seriously anyway).

What???:haha: Ok nadal isnt the smartest player but how can u say that he can win coz he physically strong?? That means that the rock would probably beat federer!

I dont think anyone can depend on a "smart game" everytime. Its just about choosing the right things at the right time. Sounds simple but very few players do that.If it was all about smartness, the same people would win everytime.
As for smartness in general, kudos for blake:worship:

GlennMirnyi
09-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Um, just because he doesn't speak English fluently doesn't mean he's unintelligent.

I'm gonna throw Andy Murray into the mix. With his fitness (or lack thereof) he shouldn't be winning ANY matches. That kid relies very heavily on his ability to construct a point.

Federer for obvious reasons. Nobody can play that kind of beautiful tennis and not know how to think quickly on the court.

Andre played smart tennis too.

There's a big difference between not speaking fluent english and speaking like a south-american aborigine.

cmurray
09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
There's a big difference between not speaking fluent english and speaking like a south-american aborigine.

:D True, but since he doesn't speak like that in Spanish, it's hardly fair to knock him for it. Then again, I doubt you're concerned about being fair to Rafa, so.....just forget I said anything. :)

Howard
09-29-2006, 12:34 AM
There's a big difference between not speaking fluent english and speaking like a south-american aborigine.And how well do you speak South American aboriginal languages? Bet you'd sound pretty dumb to them.

GlennMirnyi
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
And how well do you speak South American aboriginal languages? Bet you'd sound pretty dumb to them.

Tupi-Guarani is not the world's language and I don't live surrounded by Tupi-Guarani, like Nadal is surrounded by English, being in the tennis world.

CmonAussie
09-29-2006, 01:24 AM
#Federer
...............at his level a lot of the game is mental~ he plays tennis as if it were a game of chess & somehow he`s always a step or two ahead of his opponent.

#Nadal
.............at Wimbledon this year he adapted his game beautifully to grass~ that takes some smarts!! Oh yes he has guts too``@.

#Hewitt
..........his play the last couple of seasons has been somewhat disappointing but considering what he achieved in 2001/02 for a player with limitations he certainly maximised his talent.

#Agassi
.............since 1999 that guy just kept getting smarter!! Stark contrast to his career phase I

#Chang
...........he was quite limited in many aspects of his game (more so than Hewitt) yet he won 33-titles, a Slam, & made another 3-Slam finals.....he was the definition of SMART PLAYER

Hokit
09-29-2006, 03:12 AM
What's "smart tennis"? :confused: I get so confused with that term.

Just because a player has so much variety in his game doesn't mean he's smart. It could mean he's practical and disciplined because he's willing to do the hard work to expand his game.

I think this points more to other players who didn't want to do the hard work or didn't have the right coach.