Aww Dima Fans! Come in here and Jon Wertheim and Mike from San Diego a hug!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Aww Dima Fans! Come in here and Jon Wertheim and Mike from San Diego a hug!!

paper_chaser
09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Cause they don't seem to be taking the Davis Cup loss very well. :awww: :awww: :hug: :hug:

And to express their bitterness, they have revived the age-old 'why do we let foreign athletes train in the US and represent their country' issue:

Benedict Dmitry
Should we be mad at Tursunov for ousting the U.S.?
Posted: Wednesday September 27, 2006 9:22AM; Updated: Wednesday September 27, 2006 1:18PM

Am I the only one a little upset that Dmitry Tursunov socked it to the U.S. in Davis Cup when he's basically from California? I am all for "The Land of Opportunity," but it would be nice to see one of these players give back -- like Monica Seles or Martina Navratilova. Yes, I'm talking about Maria Sharapova, too. Good God, neither of them even have an accent.
-- Mike, San Diego

I wrote a piece in this week's Sports Illustrated on this very topic. Tursunov is a fascinating case study. The guy is the Russian hero who conquers the U.S. in Davis Cup. He celebrates with his "countrymen" and then he returns to the place he's called home for the last half of his life: suburban Sacramento. Sharapova, Nicole Vaidisova, Tatiana Golovin ... legion are the players who compete under a different country code but are essentially naturalized Americans.

As I see it, citizenship is intensely personal. If Sharapova or Tursunov or whoever wants to emulate Seles and Navratilova and try to become an "American," great. It would end the Chicken Littles' lament that American tennis is on life support. If they want only to be residents and sustain their ties to Russia, that's fine, too.

I do think that in this age of the-world-is-flat globalization, international competitions have lost a lot of their relevance. The whole concept of a "foreign athlete" -- whether it's Romanian gymnasts in Houston, the Brazilian soccer star in Madrid, a Chinese basketball star in Houston (or a German in Dallas or a Frenchman in San Antonio) or the bevy of tennis players in Monaco -- has never been murkier.

I would think it would be hard to get too excited about the Russians' triumph when two of the stars haven't lived in the country since they were boys. (Marat Safin, who left to train in Spain as a junior, now resides in Monte Carlo.) Likewise, why get so worked up about the dearth of Americans in tennis' upper reaches when half the top players are -- officially or not -- based here?

First of All
:rolls: :rolls: :haha: :haha: at that headline. BENEDICT Dmitry?? That's WAAAYYY too overdramatic. Then there's the link on the main SI page that asks, "Is Tursunov a Turncoat" :rolleyes:

(btw, For those who don't know, during the American Revolution, Benedict Arnold was a somewhat important American colonist who gave important colonial military information to the British. I don't remember precisely who he was or what he did, but in the US, if you call someone a Benedict so-and-so or refer to someone as a "Benedict Arnold", you're calling that person a traitor.)

Getting back to the point- they posted this article in the GM as well, and I posted in my response there, which is this:
The only reason that those who claim to be upset that he lives in the US, yet represents Russia is because he won that one match. END OF STORY.

I have to add that this is the ONLY negativity I've seen. The other websites I read, (yahoo, msn and espn) seem to be giving the Russian team its due credit and saying that the US needs to improve on clay, etc.

peacechick
09-28-2006, 06:17 PM
he's rather bitter isn't he?
Anyway about that 'giving back', the states won't even give him a green card, so what can Dima do about that giving back :rolleyes:

Joy Mora
09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
That article is absurd! The fact that he lives in the US, doesn't make him an American. If you go to study abroad, it doesn't mean that you have to change your citizenship. Besides, as far as I know it wasn't the American government that paid for his training (Correct me if I'm wrong - I mean it!) The author is simply angry with the fact that they lost. It sucks, but that's life. Get over it!

P.S. Hi everyone! :wavey:

Mara_M
09-28-2006, 07:26 PM
hi joy :bigwave:
dima is not american !!! and as far as i know,when he wanted teh us citizenship they didn't give it to him so he ahd to marry for the green card :ras:!

suertelina
09-28-2006, 07:39 PM
:eek: This article is really ridiculous! :bolt: It sounds like jealousy, chauvinistic behaviour... :retard: :retard: :retard:

takuma
09-28-2006, 08:32 PM
That article is absurd! The fact that he lives in the US, doesn't make him an American. If you go to study abroad, it doesn't mean that you have to change your citizenship. Besides, as far as I know it wasn't the American government that paid for his training (Correct me if I'm wrong - I mean it!) The author is simply angry with the fact that they lost. It sucks, but that's life. Get over it!

P.S. Hi everyone! :wavey:

Hi!Well said!This whole article was just silly. He could be called a 'traitor' only if he was getting money from the US for playing tennis. He ain't a junior, he's not playing for american universities[scholarships&so on]either..He's just staying there every now and then..not to often nowadays, as he travells to much to call one specific place his home.He repeated many times he divides his spare time between Russia and the United States. Besides, how many great athletes, and other big-earners, change the place they live just because of tax reasons[and many other].Nobody expects them to represent the countries they moved in. Monaco or Switzerland do not imply their inhabitants [not citizens] to represent them. Another example of how narrow minded pple might get..Remember all the fuss about Tiger Woods cheering for Fedex :rolleyes: That's very close to it... As you said Joy Mora, had Dmitry lost to Andy-nobody would give a damn about 'how american he is and how much he owes this country'..Betrayal-shmetrayal. Hope Dima gets the right conclusions about such attitude.

iva_ds87
09-28-2006, 09:20 PM
I agree with all of you that this article is so absurd!!! If Dima hadn't attackted everybody's attention with his ATP blog, he wouldn't be so popular now and people won't be that much annoyed that he defeated the holy andy roddick. the truth is that the americans adore Dima for his great sense of humour and Sharapova for her beauty.the fact that both are excellent players, who train in the usa and can beat their home favourites almost any time make people jealous. and besides i've heard him saying that he feels strange when people call him an american...

Mara_M
09-28-2006, 09:23 PM
yes...despite masha he enjoys russia and speeaking russian ;)

Libelle
09-29-2006, 07:41 AM
:ras: to the article!!!!!!!!:ras:

btw Hi, Joy :wavey: :wavey:

Slice
09-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I am not sure if You all remind yourself a case of recently gone Oriana Fallaci, the most famous italian journalist. She lived many years in New York and concluded that thing in most frankly way that man could imagine. Actually when US government offered her citizenship, she answered:

" I feel emotional relationship with America. I am still arguing with her, I am doing reproofs to her but I am depply related with her. She is a lover for me or even husband to whom I will always be loyal, unless he cuckold me. And I love this husband. I never forget if he wouldn't give himself a trouble to anounce war to Hitler and Mussolini I'd speaking german today. I do not forget if he wouldn't stand against USSR, I'd speak russian today. I do love and like this husband. I like the thing, when I came New York and show my passport with stamp of resident, customs official welcomes me with wide smile and says "Welcome home". It is so generous and tender gesture. I recall myself also that America always had been my "Sinners shelter" for people with no Motherland. But i DO have a motherland sir. My motherland is Italy and Italy is my mother. I love Italy and I feeled I'd disavowed my mother in case I accepted US citizenship."

And that's all. In addition to that, I can't imagine I disavowe to be Polish no matter how long I would be apart of her and how though and twisted her fortunes would be. Being Poilsh, Russian or American is an uncoutable question. I may be a millionaire in US, I may pay them taxes and be thankful but I'll never switch my nation. Inhabitant does not mean co-native. Simply.

Mara_M
09-29-2006, 01:32 PM
:yeah:

:secret: ps newbies,there is an introduction thread round here ;)

Libelle
09-29-2006, 03:08 PM
yes, please, newbies visit the into thread :)

Slice, thanks for the quote :)

Mara_M
09-29-2006, 03:20 PM
thank you for the support lena :angel:

Libelle
09-29-2006, 03:54 PM
well, it's more curiousity than a sapport to you....:p :lol:

Mara_M
09-29-2006, 03:56 PM
:ras:

Libelle
09-29-2006, 04:10 PM