Tim Henman def. Andy Murray | 6-4 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tim Henman def. Andy Murray | 6-4 6-2

stebs
09-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Henman seals first Murray victory

Henman lost to Murray in Cincinnati and Toronto this year
Tim Henman claimed his first victory over Andy Murray after a deserved 6-4 6-2 win over the Scot in the first round of the Thailand Open in Bangkok.

Henman, who had lost the three previous encounters with Murray, had a storming start and took a 5-2 opening set lead.

But the fourth seed bounced back to make the score 5-4 only for Henman to take the set after winning a lengthy and crucial 10th game.

And Henman sealed victory with the help of two early breaks in the second set.

Henman, who will now take on British number four Alex Bogdanovic in the second round, has slipped to 59 in the world after a disappointing season.

And after losing to Murray in Toronto and Cincinnati this year and in Switzerland in 2005, Henman was determined to stop the rot and produced an aggressive and determined display.

Murray seemed to feel the effects of helping Britain to a 3-2 Davis Cup win over Ukraine in Odessa last weekend.

The 19-year-old, who lost to Roger Federer in the final of this event last season, showed plenty of fight but only glimpses of the sparkling form which has propelled him up the rankings.

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-27-2006, 10:34 AM
:sad:

revolution
09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Timmy wanted that win badly and fair play to him :yeah:

Carlita
09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
:bigclap: well done Tim!!! (glad I put you on my tennisteam this week :D)

The Pro
09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Pity Tim couldn't do it somewhere important... :sad:

scarecrows
09-27-2006, 11:02 AM
I was sure this would happen

well done Tim :yeah:

its.like.that
09-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Congratulations Tim, nice effort. :yeah:

Bad luck Andy, better luck next time. :hug:

Andre♥
09-27-2006, 11:26 AM
There goes the hype... again!

Viken01
09-27-2006, 11:30 AM
congrat tim !!!

Billabong
09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
YEAH well done Tim:yeah:

Ceri
09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Woo hoo! So pleased! Go tim!

Horatio Caine
09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Well done Tim!!! Knew you could do it this time! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Let's get that ranking back into the top 50! :yeah:

Please reach at least the SF...and get revenge over that big, bald dufus! :lol: :devil:

hanabishi
09-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Surprising result, but I'm happy for Tim. Good job!

croat123
09-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Well done Tim!!! Knew you could do it this time! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Let's get that ranking back into the top 50! :yeah:

Please reach at least the SF...and get revenge over that big, bald dufus! :lol: :devil:
:devil:

bluefork
09-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Well done, Tim.

Maybe Andy Murray was still recovering from getting beat up by that Thai boxing guy. Or has that happened yet?

njorker
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Finally, Tim had his revenge! :devil: So happy for Tim! ! !
And what's this...he'll face another Brit on the 2nd round?

MurrayFan1
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Holy crap, I can't believe this, ah well, at least Bogdanovic will have a better chance. I'd like to see Bogdanovic go far here so he can get up the rankings.

Dancing Hero
09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm glad Henman won this one. Not a massive fan of either really, but on this occasion I prefered Henman to win, Murray had won the previous encounters.

Horatio Caine
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Holy crap, I can't believe this, ah well, at least Bogdanovic will have a better chance. I'd like to see Bogdanovic go far here so he can get up the rankings.

Bogo won't win

embellish
09-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Yay Tim!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

I was glad when I saw this result cause he needs a few wins - and Murray is a good place to start!

andygabriela
09-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I think the reason Andy lost is because he just arrived the day before after 3 different flights. He was in the Ukraine playing for his country the same country that Henman should have also been playing for.
I'm so sad :tears:

Horatio Caine
09-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I think the reason Andy lost is because he just arrived the day before after 3 different flights. He was in the Ukraine playing for his country the same country that Henman should have also been playing for.

Nah...he's done enough for us in DC. The future is with the younger guys.

MurrayFan1
09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Bogo won't win

I just want him to progress so then at least he'll be closer to the top 100. It's pitiful that we have 2 in there and one will only be playing for a few more years.

MurrayFan1
09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Yay Tim!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

I was glad when I saw this result cause he needs a few wins - and Murray is a good place to start!

I had a feeling Henman may win, but I'm not too bothered as Murra has had an amazing year and at least Tim has won a match.

Golfnduck
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
WAY TO GO TIMMAY!!!!!!!!! :bigclap: :woohoo:

Pea
09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Allez Tiger Tim!!!

yonexforever
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Good for Tim.. but somewhere he has upset the Gods.. that he keeps running into Andy in early rounds and now he gets another Brit!
Is Rusedski available for the round after that?
DAMN!
:(

dippykitty
09-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Why would he need 3 flights from the Ukraine to Bangkok? Even if he did, only one of them would have been a long flight so not sure why having 3 flights has much to do with it. :confused:

Duncan
09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
This is all Jamie Delgado's fault!!!!! :(

lol

Corey Feldman
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Good win and lets hope he can go on and do something from it for once... a title would do nicely.

Muzza, just you rest yourself and get to Tokyo back in top form.

NeverSayDie
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Well done Tim!!! :woohoo:

henree
09-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Well this sucks. Why is Murray not beating the crap out of this old fart. Murray manhandles Roddicks blistering serves. Yet when he receives Henmen's girlie serve he has trouble. :cool:

musefanatic
09-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh brilliant Tim!! There's still like in the old dog yet!!! Think Andy still had a bit of an injury from Davis Cup though maybe but still, good on him! Eat Boggo for dinner!!! :lol: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Horatio Caine
09-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Good win and lets hope he can go on and do something from it for once... a title would do nicely.

You not looked at who towers in his way to the final? :haha: Ljubo :scared:

Ljubo and Blake are probably the two players Tim would struggle to beat this week...Ljubo being the real pain in the ass :rolleyes: :mad:

rmb6687
09-27-2006, 09:11 PM
This is awesome! :bigclap:

tangerine_dream
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Congrats Timmaaaay! :bigclap:

Does anyone think that Andy Murray has made any improvements/changes to his game yet since Gilbert came on board? It seems to me like he's not really going anywhere right now; just running in place.

I find it odd that the results of Gilbert's influence was instantaneous with Agassi and Roddick but seems to have stalled with Murray.

rmb6687
09-27-2006, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't say that at all...he had a great few weeks right after gilbert got with him in the hard court season. I'd say the results were way more instantaneous, only they may not be lasting.

Horatio Caine
09-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Does anyone think that Andy Murray has made any improvements/changes to his game yet since Gilbert came on board? It seems to me like he's not really going anywhere right now; just running in place.

I find it odd that the results of Gilbert's influence was instantaneous with Agassi and Roddick but seems to have stalled with Murray.

I don't feel that Gilbert has improved his game yet...just targeted tactics and fitness as the main things right now.

Murray has produced steady good results with Gilbert...this is the only blemish on his record and can, rightly, be put down to long flights over to Bangkok and a surface change from really slow clay to indoor hard...plus this is the better surface for Tim anyway :shrug:

DrJules
09-27-2006, 09:45 PM

Actually, I think Mark Petchey had better long term ideas; more focused on Murray attacking and controlling the game. However, Murray is more happy with the defensive style which Gilbert seems to support. I think Gilbert has significantly increased his confidence, but not sure his game has improved.

Raquel
09-27-2006, 09:50 PM

Just running in place?? I don't see how that's true. Compare his last couple of months with the first 6 months of the year and it's clear he's made real improvements and made a jump. Since teaming with Brad, Andy has risen about 20 ranking places and is into the top 20. Andy has made a final in Washington, a Masters Series QF and his first Masters Series SF and the last 16 at a Slam for only the second time. Compare that to his pre-Gilbert results this year and I think it's there to see his results have improved since teaming with Brad. I think this is only their 5th event together anyway so I wouldn't expect him to be winning everything in sight already.
Congrats to Tim on this win but Andy has just come off a weekend playing Davis Cup on clay so this is not a huge shock, or a real mark of where the Gilbert/Murray team is at.

Agassi Aces
09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Well done Tim, good result, thrash Bogo!!!!!

Mechlan
09-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Congrats Tim, about time. :-)

Andy, hope this is just tiredness from the weekend. It's going to be at least next year before we see some tangible improvements in Andy's game. For now, I'll take added consistency and more positivity on the court.

Yappa
09-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Well done Tim. Hopefully more wins against Murray will follow.

Corey Feldman
09-28-2006, 12:30 AM
You not looked at who towers in his way to the final? :haha: Ljubo :scared:on his day he'd take Ljubo ... and he sucks since RG anyways ;)

any brits here check page 488 on CEEFAX and it said Henman (ENG) beat Murray (SCO)

so typical :lol:
when muzza wins its (GBR) beat (GBR) saucy bastards :p