Do you think Fed will play next year in Davis Cup 1st round? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you think Fed will play next year in Davis Cup 1st round?

willrock
09-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I mean, in the World Group, not like this year only for the play offs.
He and Yves Allegro prove to be a quite good team and Wawrinka becomes a more and more solid player.
Will he play or not?
Maybe he has already said something about that? Could u tell me?

Horatio Caine
09-24-2006, 05:47 PM
When he decides that he wants to win the Davis Cup...I imagine he will.

It seems that the French Open is a greater priority for him...breaking Pete's 14 GS record may even eclipse Davis Cup too.

andygabriela
09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I think that he will play ;)

RickDaStick
09-24-2006, 06:09 PM
i think it will depend on the draw

willrock
09-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok thanks!
So he hasn't pronounced himself yet.
Suspens!
Yeah I agree on the fact that winning French Open is a greater priority for him.
But he can win both FO and Davis Cup in a near future IMO

Black Adam
09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I think he would play if he has to play away on clay let's say in Argentina because he wants to to test his clay game whilst practicing for FO

nobama
09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
He indicated this past week that he would have a hard time playing in February. Obviously slams are more important to him right now. But were he not to do well at AO maybe he would decide to play.

stebs
09-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I doubt it. If Switzerland were able to cope without him and sneak into the quarter finals I think he would play then in hope of actually winning it.

Doris Loeffel
09-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Only hope would be when Sui plays Australia - then he might as well stay in Australia till after the tie - oder than that I don't think he'll play the first round tie

scarecrows
09-24-2006, 09:15 PM
I also think it'll depend on the draw and surface where they'll play

if it's clay, forget it

Action Jackson
09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Depends on the draw.

disturb3d
09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
The chances of Switzerland winning DC are slim.
They have two rubbers guaranteed at each tie. But the rest are up for grabs.
The powerhouse DC nations should beat them 3-2.

But like Jorje' said. They could get Aus in the semis, and Slovakia in the final.

And yes, I do think Fed will play the opening tie. More so if he skips Basel,

GlennMirnyi
09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I think that someday he'll think: I want the Davis Cup. This day he'll play in every tie and lead his team to victory (or not). Right now that's not his priority.

Jimnik
09-24-2006, 09:28 PM
There's no reason why Switzerland can't win the Davis Cup. Federer will beat anyone on any surface, except Nadal on a slow surface. Federer and Allegro will beat the majority of doubles pairs and Wawrinka would beat most opponents on a slow surface.

In fact, with Federer in the team, I can't think of a single country who would beat them, when playing in Switzerland.

*Viva Chile*
09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
No

stebs
09-24-2006, 09:39 PM
The chances of Switzerland winning DC are slim.
They have two rubbers guaranteed at each tie. But the rest are up for grabs.
The powerhouse DC nations should beat them 3-2.

But like Jorje' said. They could get Aus in the semis, and Slovakia in the final.

And yes, I do think Fed will play the opening tie. More so if he skips Basel,
Disagree. Assuming Fed wins his two singles rubbers I think Switzerland would have an excellent chance to beat anyone. Wawrinka is a tough cookie, most certainly no push-over. He could beat many number 2's. Federer - Allegro is also not an easy pair to beat.

GlennMirnyi
09-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Disagree. Assuming Fed wins his two singles rubbers I think Switzerland would have an excellent chance to beat anyone. Wawrinka is a tough cookie, most certainly no push-over. He could beat many number 2's. Federer - Allegro is also not an easy pair to beat.

Right on.
Wawrinka is stronger on clay, exactly where Federer is more vulnerable. I don't think really many #2s would beat Stan on clay.

lucashg
09-24-2006, 09:58 PM
It basically depends on the draw, but regarding his performance in Australia, I think the better he does there, the better the chances he'll play the opening DC tie, but I wouldn't count as a factor and if so, only a minor one.

shotgun
09-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I think he would play if he has to play away on clay let's say in Argentina because he wants to to test his clay game whilst practicing for FO

I think it's the opposite. If it's a tie in Europe and on hard court, he'll play, because he then won't have to change surfaces or make a long trip outside Europe. No way he would bother to come down to Argentina to play on clay, during the European indoor season.

Viken01
09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
maybe if there is a Argentina-Switzerland 1st round or Croatia-Switzerland, and it could be very interesting ;)

nobama
09-25-2006, 03:20 AM
This is what Roger said this past week:

"The Davis Cup is obviously a very nice event but it's hard, because as long as I'm world number one and keep winning so many grand slams then I have to keep the focus on that," he said.

"It's difficult to commit 100 percent to Davis Cup because you never know where the ties will be or when, or even what surface they will be on.

"I love being with the team and really hope we can win it one day, but for now I have to keep things open."

He also said in another interview (http://www.letemps.ch/template/sport.asp?page=11&contenuPage=&article=189706&quickbar=) that he feels compelled to help keep Switzerland in the World Group but is making no promises for next year, and that DC playing throughout the year is almost impossible.

JW10S
09-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Why would he bother to get Switzerland back into the World group if he wasn't intending to play? Bjorn Borg was for all intent and purpose a one man team when he led Sweden to the Davis Cup win--it could happen.