[Davis Cup] Tursunov 6-3, 6-4, 5-7, 3-6, 17-15 Roddick [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

[Davis Cup] Tursunov 6-3, 6-4, 5-7, 3-6, 17-15 Roddick

TennisGrandSlam
09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Russia 3-1 USA

Congra. to Russia :)

its.like.that
09-24-2006, 01:59 PM
The match lasted 4 hours and 48 minutes.

Roddick served for the match at 6-5 in the 5th, but as usual he smoked the cock. And the rest was history.

Dima wasted 3 match points on Roddick's serve at 12-11, but managed to hold his nerve.

Well played Dima.

:bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

hanabishi
Russia wins!

What a match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Action Jackson
Congrats Mitya for sealing Russia's place in the Davis Cup final . Roddick has his chance to close it out and after coming back from 2 sets down to lose and then losing. He'd have to be so shattered after that.

Tursunov had a poor break point conversion, but it was good enough in the end.

This is the beauty of Davis Cup, two guys not just doing it for themselves.

bad gambler
solid match from both

TheBoiledEgg
Russia 3-1 :worship: :angel: :woohoo: :D :banana:

Andre♥
09-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Losing to Tursunov on clay...

Thank God I'm not a Roddick fan!

TheBoiledEgg
09-24-2006, 02:01 PM
its one of the funniest results of all time

Dima :woohoo: :D :)
what a master-stroke !!!!!!!!

hablovah19
09-24-2006, 02:02 PM
well done, ruskies :woohoo:

Sunset of Age
09-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Tee hee! Great job!

Billabong
Dima:aparty:

hablovah19
:banana:

I hope Russia wins it all :D

scarecrows
09-24-2006, 02:04 PM
hahah

RodDICK got owned again

kiro
:worship: :worship: :worship: Dima!
What a fight!
Russia in the Final! :bounce: :bounce:

MisterQ
WOW! :eek:

What can you say? :hatoff:

Ome
09-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Russia :woohoo:

Dima!!!! :worship:

mickymouse
09-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Tursunov is again the hero of Russia.

Five
09-24-2006, 02:06 PM
:banana:

I hope Russia wins it all :D
I can't believe it :)

federated
congratulations, russia. well done. :clap2:

funny, I am thrilled for dima and love this russian team--and usually am not particularly patriotic (especially in tennis; can't stand the bryans; can't stand roddick)...but here I am sad that my country lost. :sad:

Neely
That's why you have home court advantage!

Must have been an incredible match, sorry for Andy he lost it :sad:

revolution
09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Cracking match and Andy should have served it out 6-5 but played a poor game. Better fitness told in the end and Dima was worthy winner.

Kalliopeia
17-15. Jesus. :eek:

Yay for Russia! Thank God, if only for the sake of my nerves, it's not coming down to Safin.

Good job in a hell of a fight, Dima! :worship:

Byrd
Connors "There's 3 in the mix"

:haha:

~*BGT*~
09-24-2006, 02:08 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO ARGENTINA!!!!!!!

Allez
09-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Poor Roddick. That loss has to hurt.

TennisAgenda
I thought Dimitry could of closed out the match a lot sooner. But a win is a win is a win! Dimitry must be so happy and the Russian people must be thrilled right now! I definitely believe they have a great shot at beating Argentina. Russia has a great team all of their players are solid singles players. Its strange though that their top player Davydenko wasn't even used. But it just shows how much depth Russian men's tennis has. This is great for the Russian men because a lot of people had given up on them. The Russian women had come on strong in 2004 sweeping 3 out of the 4 slams. And so many Russian women are in the top 20 its amazing! And now Maria Sharapova just won the US OPEN. Its nice to see the Russian men return to the spotlight since the Russian women were dominating it for the longest time.

scarecrows
Connors "There's 3 in the mix"

:haha:

of course there's 3

Federer, Nadal and Tursunov

lilimi80
BRAVO RUSSIA.

mangoes
09-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Congrats to Dima................But, I'm so very sad. Thank you Andy:hug: for playing with your heart today:sad::sad::sad::sad:

hanabishi
09-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Gentlemen,
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/annie572/tursyroddick.jpg
Thank you for giving us such an epic match.

scarecrows
09-24-2006, 02:11 PM

awwwww

how bitter

TennisAgenda
09-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Roddick had this one on his racket. Andy does deserve credit for not giving up even though he was two sets down. But still he served for the match and despite his powerful serve he couldn't close it out. Dimitry has to be given a lot of credit for not giving up he really came through. Perhaps this is his breakthrough?

its.like.that
09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Congrats to Dima................But, I'm so very sad. Thank you Andy:hug: for playing with you heart today:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Nice signature.

But I fail to see what the US Davis Cup team is kicking besides the bucket.

:scratch:

bellascarlett
09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Dmitry!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

What a match! Great fighting! Can't wait to see it in a bit! The stadium must have been going crazy!

Thank You for getting Russia to the final! :aparty: :aparty: :aparty:

Wow, who would have thought it was going to be Tursunov getting them to the final playing on clay??? And to think Davydenko was MIA so far...:speakles:

Congrats Russia! I'm so happy!

Alvarillo
09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
i saw the last part of the match (since 5-5 in the 5th) and was :eek:
:worship: Dima & Andy :worship:
Congrats Russia, Good Luck in the Final !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Broomie
Congrats to Russia!!!!

Did anyone see Dima and Andreev hug at the end? It looked like they "accidently" kissed, lol!!! Then some akward look... So funny!

bellascarlett
And sorry to Roddick...this loss would sting I'm sure. Great fighting though!

peacechick
09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Dima!!!!!!!! :banana: :worship: :bigclap:
I get my dream final :bounce: :hearts: :drool:

Action Jackson
09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Shamil, basically by putting Tursunov to play that match could be saying hey our worst player on clay can beat your best player on the surface.

The result was never in doubt.

tangerine_dream
09-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Congrats to Andy on such an incredible fight back. :worship: Coming back from two sets down on the crappiest clay court ever built, to take it all to a classic fifth set, no disappointment here. Loved the heart and the fight and that's all Davis Cup is about. You did your country proud. :cool:

Congrats to Team Russia. Good luck in Argentina. :hatoff:

Broomie
09-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Also, too bad for Roddick. I'm not his biggest fan, but he really fought throughout the match. It was a pleasure to see none of the players giving up! He can take a lot of positive things from this match, even if he lost.

Does anyone know who will play the last rubber?

kiro
09-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Shamil, basically by putting Tursunov to play that match could be saying hey our worst player on clay can beat your best player on the surface.
:devil: Exactly! :lol:

federated
09-24-2006, 02:17 PM

a bitchtastic and apparently brilliant move. well played!

TheBoiledEgg

so true ;)
wonder what the yank media is gonna make of this
losing to that clay court "genius" Tursunov :rolls:

who needs Kolya eh ;) ???

Clara Bow
:hug: Andy. This one will hurt a bit, since he missed his chance to serve it out. Still- great job getting to a fifth set after being two sets down.

Congrats to Dima! If he had lost, that would have been a tough pill for him to swallow as well since he was two sets up. Who would have thought that he would have been the one to seal the victory for Russia on Clay?

It sounds like there was some great fight during this match and can't wait to watch this in a couple of hours. Mr. Bow will have to watch football on our bedroom tv. :)

croat123
:haha: roddick lost to tursunov on clay :haha: he lost to the one player on tour who is worse on the surface

too big

bellascarlett
09-24-2006, 02:18 PM

After two guys just fought immensely and lay everything out there, this is what you say? :o

~*BGT*~
awwwww

how bitter

Actually, earlier this week, i said that if the USA can't win it, I hope Argentina wins. Not bitter. I prefer Nalbandian, Calleri, and Acasuso to Safin, Davydenko, and Tursunov.

Pea
Can't believe it went the distance after the 2 sets to 0 lead, Dima.:mad:

Kalliopeia
09-24-2006, 02:19 PM
I cannot wait to actually watch this later today. I need happy celebration pictures! :)

Horatio Caine
Outstanding stuff judging by the scoreline! :eek: :bigclap:

Roddick shouldn't get too upset...yes, it is a tough loss to swallow but I didn't think he'd recover from 0/2 sets so he did himself proud there.

Russia deserved the win and I have huge respect for their captain...a very clever individual...his strategy was so scarily good. John Lloyd...take note!

Very well done Dima! :bounce: His popularity has probably surpassed the clouds now! :haha:

njorker
Andy, what happened? So devastating.... :sad:

But yay for Russia! They will win the DC final, I'm sure of it! ;)

Too bad we won't get to see Marat play in the 5th rubber.

bellascarlett
:haha: roddick lost to tursunov on clay :haha: he lost to the one player on tour who is worse on the surface

too big

i dislike roddick but let's be nice for a while...17-15 in the fifth playing for your country in a match he was serving for once? that f*cking hurts...

Deea
Wow, who would have thought it was going to be Tursunov getting them to the final playing on clay???

:haha: :haha: Yes, I know!! this is the beauty of the DC! Well done dima! :worship: And congrats to Andy! He fought really well! :worship: and thank God the tie won't be decided by Marat's brain! :lol:

mangoes
09-24-2006, 02:21 PM
so true ;)
wonder what the yank media is gonna make of this
losing to that clay court "genius" Tursunov :rolls:

who needs Kolya eh ;) ???

The "Yank" media isn't going to care. It won't even make the sports news.

Horatio Caine
09-24-2006, 02:21 PM

too big

Oh come on...Ljubo would have lost to him too! :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
09-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Dima !!!!!!!!!

Duck roasted Russian Style :devil: :banana: :woohoo: :armed:

~*BGT*~
09-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Yes, exactly.

mangoes
09-24-2006, 02:23 PM

too big

Dima was playing for his country........even on his worst surface, he would have given it 100% percent. So, this argument isn't necessary.

Five
09-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Dima !!!!!!!!!

Duck roasted Russian Style :devil: :banana: :woohoo: :armed:
Yayness :woohoo: :yippee: :dance:
and Zhenya K is gonna play the dead rubber? :devil:

Vass
09-24-2006, 02:26 PM

too big
Turunov had some surprizing results on clay this year.

Peoples
09-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Probably the most important win in Tursunov's career.

rmb6687
09-24-2006, 02:28 PM
ugh, so annoying espcially since it appears it was a really good match. But nope...I bet it will be all Baseball... :rolleyes:

Clara Bow
09-24-2006, 02:30 PM
ugh, so annoying espcially since it appears it was a really good match. But nope...I bet it will be all Baseball... :rolleyes:

And football, and Ryder Cup (another team competition), etc.

tangerine_dream
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
After two guys just fought immensely and lay everything out there, this is what you say? :o
I agree. But worse comments are being made and this is the one you chose to call out? :confused:

Exactly.

Dima was playing for his country........even on his worst surface, he would have given it 100% percent. So, this argument isn't necessary.
True again. The home court advantage obviously helped Dima.

Gentlemen,
I agree. Thanks for a good post. :yeah:

akosijepoy
09-24-2006, 02:37 PM
YAY! Good job Dima!!!!! woot!!!!

williaer
09-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Good fight Andy - To be honest I thought after the 2nd set that it would be a straight sets victory to Dima so well done for bringing it out to five. With a scoreline like 17-15 it must've been a great match...
Well done to Dima :) and good luck in the final!! :)

~*BGT*~
09-24-2006, 02:38 PM

Yeah... and does look like I give a rat's ass? I'm mad that Andy lost. I may get over Dmitry like I got over Acasuso and Muller. Andy just needs to crush him the next time they play. The same thing he did with Gilles and Chucho.

I already said a week ago that if we don't win, I'm rooting for Argentina. Russia won 4 years ago. It's Argentina's turn. Vamos Nalby!!!

Broomie
09-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Did anyone see the official scoreboard? Looks like Safin and Blake are going to play anyway...?

mangoes
09-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah... and does look like I give a rat's ass? I'm mad that Andy lost. I may get over Dmitry like I got over Acasuso and Muller. Andy just needs to crush him the next time they play. The same thing he did with Gilles and Chucho.

I already said a week ago that if we don't win, I'm rooting for Argentina. Russia won 4 years ago. It's Argentina's turn. Vamos Nalby!!!

I actually like Dima, a lot, so I'm happy it's him, in some regards. But, it doesn't lessen the disappointment I'm feeling.

bellascarlett
09-24-2006, 02:40 PM
I agree. But worse comments are being made and this is the one you chose to call out? :confused:

Uh...yeah I suggest you go back another page...read down a couple of posts from this one you quoted and come back to me. Either way, it's not my job to defend anyone. My team won and so that comment stood out to me the way maybe my post answering to your fellow Andy fan stood out to you.

Raquel
09-24-2006, 02:41 PM
and Zhenya K is gonna play the dead rubber? :devil:
If only ;)

Congrats to Russia :) I hope they win the Cup. Kudos to Andy for fighting hard but I never felt he was ever going to win for some reason. Even when he was serving for it, I always felt Tursunov was going to pull out the win.

Did anyone see Dmitry really get angry with one of the guys who came on court to celebrate the win? The guy came on and Dmitry practically threw the guy off him and pushed him away. Does anyone know who that was?

Peoples
09-24-2006, 02:42 PM

There are good chances that Andy will do that to Tursunov. Dmitry is a very inconsistent player and on a surface that suits Roddick better it's likely to be a much different result. IMO on hard/grass court Roddick is still #2.

BTW, don't root for cheaters/dopers :rolleyes:

mangoes
09-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Uh...yeah I suggest you go back another page...read down a couple of posts from this one you quoted and come back to me. Either way, it's not my job to defend anyone. My team won and so that comment stood out to me the way maybe my post answering to your fellow Andy fan stood out to you.

You're a Russian with an American flag??

scarecrows
09-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Actually, earlier this week, i said that if the USA can't win it, I hope Argentina wins. Not bitter. I prefer Nalbandian, Calleri, and Acasuso to Safin, Davydenko, and Tursunov.

oh really

couldnt have you posted that in another more appropriate thread?

bellascarlett
09-24-2006, 02:44 PM
You're a Russian with an American flag??

No. The team that I wanted to win won period.

WF4EVER
09-24-2006, 02:45 PM

too big

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

Doesn't Roddick have 3 or 4 clay court titles? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm so glad Russia won and better still that the final match did not have to come down to either Marat or James, two of my favorite players.

I really planned to watch this match later today on OLN but OMG it's sooo long. Oh, well, I'm sure I could find some good in it. Like the result.

tangerine_dream
09-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Wow. So bitter and defensive. :lol:

Broomie
09-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Did anyone see Dmitry really get angry with one of the guys who came on court to celebrate the win? The guy came on and Dmitry practically threw the guy off him and pushed him away. Does anyone know who that was?
I saw that but didn't know who that was :confused:
Was too happy to care, but if someone knows, i'm curious as well ;)

R.Federer
09-24-2006, 02:47 PM
I guess I missed a great match! Couldn't imagine Tursunov would beat Roddick, even on clay, and he almost didn't. But congrats to him! Davis Cup HERO!

mangoes
09-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Oh.........you wanted your fellow Americans defeated :rolleyes:

MariaV
09-24-2006, 02:48 PM
I actually like Dima, a lot, so I'm happy it's him, in some regards. But, it doesn't lessen the disappointment I'm feeling.
:hug: :hug: It was a great effort from Andy, at least he gave it all he had so deserves respect for that. :hatoff:
Hope you feel better soon. USA can win it next year. :hug:

MariaV
09-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Did anyone see the official scoreboard? Looks like Safin and Blake are going to play anyway...?
Yes, they are playing now.

R.Federer
09-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Andy, you need to go back to the sidelines! Dima won that match! Shoo! Shoo! :lol:
Just kidding.... I am curious to find out who. Maybe that umpire who was manhandled by Dima at Wimbledon stopped by to help celebrate :shrug:

hanabishi
This was a difficult match to watch for me since I do like both players, but in the end, I do feel happy for Dmitry to win in front of his home crowd (and a bit sorry for Andy after that epic match).

Anyway, here's a nice post-match pic:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/annie572/yeltsintursy.jpg
Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin celebrating with Dmitry Tursunov who seemed to be on the verge of tears.

croat123
so you are saying roddick wasn't playing for his country? :p

Action Jackson
09-24-2006, 02:51 PM
:hug: :hug: It was a great effort from Andy, at least he gave it all he had so deserves respect for that. :hatoff:

Do you really believe the second part of what you wrote? I am not talking about Roddick's efforts here.

mangoes

Congrats Maria:hug: I'm going to put my banner to bed until next year:sad: :sad: But, now I hope Russia actually wins DC. I find it more comforting when the team that defeated us goes on to win the cup:lol:

MariaV
If only ;)

Congrats to Russia :) I hope they win the Cup. Kudos to Andy for fighting hard but I never felt he was ever going to win for some reason. Even when he was serving for it, I always felt Tursunov was going to pull out the win.

Oh, and to clear that, it was the team doctor and they wanted to throw him into the air and Dima didn't want it, I guess he doesn't like it, he wanted to go and shake Andy's hand. Nothing else.

doris_hdz
09-24-2006, 02:52 PM
felicdades rusia....:worship:

MariaV
09-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Do you really believe the second part of what you wrote? I am not talking about Roddick's efforts here.
George, had Dima lost to Andy I would've come and hunt you down. ;)

mangoes

:lol: :lol: He played a very good match. Sadly, someone had to lose, and it was Andy. I'm just saying that the fact that it was a patriotic event helped to level the playing field.

Action Jackson
George, had Dima lost to Andy I would've come and hunt you down. ;)

In other words you don't believe it.

bellascarlett
09-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Wow. So bitter and defensive. :lol:

:lol: HUH? Why would I be?

I am not American. I live in America though to answer some questions.

hanabishi
09-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Guys, I think both players gave their all, playing for their country, which makes Davis Cup all the more special. In the end, one of them had to win. Why can't we just agree on that?

Again, congratulations to both Dmitry and Andy. You made your countries proud today.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/annie572/roddicktursy.jpg

MariaV
09-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Dima played at home, in front of his home crowd, that made the difference, Andy played abroad. ;)

Ceri
09-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Woo hoo! So pleased for Russia. :)

MariaV
09-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Guys, I think both players gave their all, playing for their country, which makes Davis Cup all the more special. In the end, one of them had to win. Why can't we just agree on that?

Again, congratulations to both Dmitry and Andy. You made your countries proud today.

Agree. :yeah: :hatoff:

tangerine_dream
09-24-2006, 02:59 PM
I like that Yeltsin is such a big tennis fan. I enjoy seeing him in the stands when the Russians play.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/annie572/yeltsintursy.jpg
Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin celebrating with Dmitry Tursunov who seemed to be on the verge of tears.

MarieS
09-24-2006, 03:02 PM
I like that Yeltsin is such a big tennis fan. I enjoy seeing him in the stands when the Russians play.
I enjoy that as well. :yeah: It's not Anna's army, it's Boris's army.

Havok
09-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Andy :hug:. This one is gonna hurt, especially since he came back from 2 sets down and SERVED for it at 6-5 in the 5th. Though there was like a 5% chance of Blake beating Safin so they still would have lost. Gotta love Davis Cup though when you get two genuinely patriotic guys battling with their hearts and playing not for themselves, but for their country. I just REALLY hope that this USA contingent can snatch a Davis Cup sometime soon because I don't think anybody deserves it more than these guys. Who knows maybe the tennis gods will shine down on them and they'll go a whole year without ever having to step foot on clay.:devil:

Well done to Dima though. He's had such a sensational summer hardcourt season and it's nice to see him continue that kind of play. He can easily crack the top 10 if he continues like this, and is so much fun to watch!:D Russia needs to win this DC, they easily have the team advantage over Argentina, though are known to be mentaly fucked :o. Good luck though :yeah:.

RickDaStick
09-24-2006, 03:07 PM
``Andy and James kept coming up to us and saying, 'Give us a chance, give us another shot, let us redeem ourselves.' And that's kind of what we went into the match thinking all the time,'' Bob Bryan said.""

Way to redeem yourself Andy, losing to one of the worst clay court players on the tour :yeah:

MarieS
09-24-2006, 03:08 PM
``Andy and James kept coming up to us and saying, 'Give us a chance, give us another shot, let us redeem ourselves.' And that's kind of what we went into the match thinking all the time,'' Bob Bryan said.""

Yea Andy losing to one of the worst clay court players out there is really redeeming yourself :yeah:
That's unnecessarily harsh. Andy DID come back from 2 sets down to force a fifth set, DID save 3 MPs and DID serve for it at 6-5. It's not like he got blown off the court.

mangoes
09-24-2006, 03:08 PM

True, that is very nice of him.

RickDaStick
09-24-2006, 03:11 PM
That's unnecessarily harsh. Andy DID come back from 2 sets down to force a fifth set, DID save 3 MPs and DID serve for it at 6-5. It's not like he got blown off the court.

and like i said he DID play one of the worst clay court players on tour.

Kalliopeia
09-24-2006, 03:12 PM

:rolleyes:

I wasn't aware that I was supposed to root for the Americans simply because I am American.

*Viva Chile*
09-24-2006, 03:12 PM
:haha: :haha: Yes, I know!! this is the beauty of the DC! Well done dima! :worship: And congrats to Andy! He fought really well! :worship: and thank God the tie won't be decided by Marat's brain! :lol:
Dinara is not playing this week :lol: so the brain is full time with Marat

And for Dima :aparty: :woohoo:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with many exclamation points) :p

I really hope that Russia won the DC this year at home. :yeah:

LeeHesh
09-24-2006, 03:13 PM

Ah, an East-Coast America-hating liberal :). I see.

mickymouse
In a match like this, you've got to feel sorry for the one who lost. At least Roddick can hold his head high up for having fought all the way.

Saumon
Dmitry said he won for Marat! :inlove: :lol:

Some people must regret that they didn't give Dmitry the US citizenship :p j/k

Saumon
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM

I wasn't aware that I was supposed to root for the Americans simply because I am American.
there's nothing wrong with that :shrug: I cheer for Russia anytime they meet France! :o :p

tangerine_dream
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I thought Roddick was the worst clay court player of all time? :confused:

Seriously, his loss shouldn't even be a surprise so I don't understand why some of you are jumping up and down as if Dima won a battle or something. ;)

LeeHesh
09-24-2006, 03:16 PM

No, he was playing against all the jealous America-hating people in the world who like to take one characteristic of a player and apply it to his country. It's tough fighting all of you. :)

mangoes

:scratch: Yes, that's my opinion. If a person's country is playing a DC match, then, he or she should support his country. Did I miss reading a Russian pulling for the Americans to defeat his country?? I don't think so.

dkw
Yeah Dima!!!

Andy you still suck but 15-17 in the 5th, coming back from 2 sets down is nothing to be ashamed of (he's probably going to be such a pisser on the flight back home)

RickDaStick
09-24-2006, 03:18 PM
I thought Roddick was the worst clay court player of all time? :confused:

Seriously, his loss shouldn't even be a surprise so I don't understand why some of you are jumping up and down as if Dima won a battle or something. ;)

I said one of the worst and no its not a suprise it is just funny when people here say Roddick will beat Youzhny and Davydenko and then he loses to Dmitry and now those people defend him saying it was a great match and so on

MarieS
09-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Well I don't know. I think Dima has some competition in that department from Roddick himself :lol:. They both suck on clay so the surface was irrelevant. Andy didn't redeem himself but he didn't exactly embarrass himself out there either.

LeeHesh
09-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Way to redeem yourself Andy, losing to one of the worst clay court players on the tour :yeah:

It could be worse. He could b the grand slam overacheiver *cough* you've got as your hero.

cobalt60
09-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Congrats to both men for playing an epic match! Such exhaustion and adrenaline that I can't wait to watch it. And since USA had to lose, at least now Russia should win it!

cobalt60
09-24-2006, 03:22 PM
I said one of the worst and no its not a suprise it is just funny when people here say Roddick will beat Youzhny and Davydenko and then he loses to Dmitry and now those people defend him saying it was a great match and so on
Hey win it or lose it, it WAS a great match.

Kalliopeia
09-24-2006, 03:22 PM
:scratch: Yes, that's my opinion. If a person's country is playing a DC match, then, he or she should support his country.

You do that then. I'm not going to pull for players I don't like though, not against players I do like, just because they are from the same country as me.

tangerine_dream
09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, according to the MTF geniuses here, Roddick the clay clown wasn't even supposed to win a set at all this weekend, so he actually exceeded everyone's expectations and Dima's win shouldn't be such a surprise. :)

bellascarlett
Ah, an East-Coast America-hating liberal :). I see.

omg some people...:lol: Since when has wanting one country to win mean you hate the other? Can't it just be that I was rooting for my fave and his country to win? My god...

NYCtennisfan

He certainly is "big". :)

Surprising that Roddick couldn't hold at 6-5 in the end since he had one easy serve game after another for 3 consecutive sets. Although there were a lot of quick points for a slow clay court which is to be expected with Roddick and Tursunov, there were quite a few decent rallies as well. 412 points played in 4:48. If Nadal/volandri had gone this long, it would've been the first 7 hour match.

hanabishi
09-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Congrats to both men for playing an epic match! Such exhaustion and adrenaline that I can't wait to watch it. And since USA had to lose, at least now Russia should win it!

Agreed.

You know, I wonder how both Andy and Dmitry must have been feeling during that long 5th set. Andy served for the match but couldn't close it. Dmitry had 3 match points but couldn't take advantage.

From the match reports, both of them seemed very exhausted after the match and this was the type of match where while you feel proud for the winner, you can't help but feel sorry for the guy who lost.

Dmitry, what a match. Congratulations. Finally proving yourself in front of your home crowd (and in clay!), in the city where you were born and spent your childhood.

Andy, keep your head up. Nothing to be ashamed of after that match. To come back from 2 sets down and take it to the 5th is a magnificent achievement.

LoveFifteen
09-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Gentlemen,

Yes, thank you for an epic match. Just ignore the haters who ridicule you for just trying to give us a performance.

So sexy!!! :hearts:

mangoes
09-24-2006, 03:28 PM
You do that then. I'm not going to pull for players I don't like though, not against players I do like, just because they are from the same country as me.

I don't like the Bryan brothers, but the few times one will hear me cheering loudly for them will always be during a Davis Cup match. Davis cup is about country against country.

_pyromatic
09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Exactly. I'm not particularly fond of anyone on the US Davis Cup team and Marat and Dima are some of my favorite players. Therefore, go Russia! :aparty:

Billabong
09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Can anyone explain that pic to me:p?

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/47/full.getty-tennis_-_davis_cup_-_rus-usa_11_26_07_am.jpg

mangoes
09-24-2006, 03:30 PM
^^^^ :haha: :haha: :haha: Is there something Dima is hiding?? :haha:

Billabong
09-24-2006, 03:31 PM
^^^^ :haha: :haha: :haha: Is there something Dima is hiding?? :haha:

That's disturbing isn't it:lol:

World Beater
09-24-2006, 03:32 PM
someone explain to me how the heck dima got picked...i mean that was NOT a smart move...they almost lost the match.

davydenko or youzhny were available, weren't they?

hanabishi
09-24-2006, 03:32 PM

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/47/full.getty-tennis_-_davis_cup_-_rus-usa_11_26_07_am.jpg

Ok from what I've gathered, here's how that happened:

I've heard that Tursunov and Andreev are, in fact, best friends.

After the match, Andreev approached Tursunov to kiss him on the cheek (which from what I know is common among Europeans), but at the same time, Dmitry turned his face which resulted into that "position." Later, they both had an awkward moment but since they're best friends, they laughed it off after.

Still a very, very funny and "interesting" pic though. :devil:

Billabong
09-24-2006, 03:35 PM

After the match, Andreev approached Tursunov to kiss him on the cheek (which from what I know is common among Europeans), but at the same time, Dmitry turned his face which resulted into that "position." Later, they both had an awkward moment but since they're best friends, they laughed it off after.

That pic must be kept in the archives:lol: It seems like Andreev is kissing him passionately, with his eyes closed OMG:lol:

Saumon
09-24-2006, 03:35 PM
is there another competition behind the Davis Cup that we don't know of? the team who has the gayest action wins or something :lol:

this pic is HOT!

Pink Panther
09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
That's a really hot pic....

Congrats to Russia! :bounce:

Broomie
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
No, he was playing against all the jealous America-hating people in the world who like to take one characteristic of a player and apply it to his country. It's tough fighting all of you. :)
Some people have got to stop thinking that roddick is not that much appreciated (by some, not all obviously) because he's american. That's just stupid. If that's the way he feels, sure it's got to be horrible fighting against so many people in the world. Hopefully he's not into that...
I love the USA, but I don't like Roddick that much. It doesn't make me a USA hater!

And just to answer somebody's question (sorry I don't remember who that was, i think mangoes), but I do have some russian friends who were for the USA in this tie.
Also, I was for France against Germany, but for Russia when they played against France. I hope it doesn't make me a bad French. This is sport ;)

Tennis Fool
09-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I was rooting for Russia over America too :shrug:

rmb6687
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
So was I, I even felt a little bad, but I soon got over it...

GO RUSSIA!!!

Broomie
09-24-2006, 03:48 PM

Yes I saw it on tv it was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing!!!
They didn't see one another starting to kiss, the targetting was wrong! :lol:

musefanatic
09-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Great win for Dima and the russians! Brilliant stuff, the last set was pretty amazing stuff and Dima did well to hang on when Roddick got those 2 sets back from him :)

So Russia vs Argentina, please win the Argies and stop Nalby's ego getting any bigger!

R.Federer
09-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Sharapova must have been conflicted this weekend. Who did she cheer on? :shrug:

vamosnadal
09-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Has anyone got links to any post match interviews/quotes? Well done Tursunov...he did so well to close that match out and played some amazing points!! That picture is so funny and will haunt him for a while..someone should e-mail it to him at his blogspot and ask him to explain!!!

hanabishi
09-24-2006, 03:53 PM
You know, while I've never been much of a Sharapova fan, she has insisted that she is Russian, and she will never change citizenship.
And isn't that rumor with her and Andy already been discredited?

Broomie
09-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I think USA, that's where her boyfriend is. A loss from USA has more consequence in her life than Russia losing. It's almost a win-win situation.
But what do I know, just saying :)

Tennis Fool
09-24-2006, 03:55 PM

I'm beginning to wonder about Dima. This "kiss", always talking about Marat, no girlfriend, hates models & groupies :lol:

Vass
09-24-2006, 03:57 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/annie572/roddicktursy.jpg
this pic is so sad.

hanabishi
Has anyone got links to any post match interviews/quotes? Well done Tursunov...he did so well to close that match out and played some amazing points!! That picture is so funny and will haunt him for a while..someone should e-mail it to him at his blogspot and ask him to explain!!!

Hahaha.. Agreed! I wonder what he has to say about that "Andreev kiss"

Vass
I'm beginning to wonder about Dima. This "kiss", always talking about Marat, no girlfriend, hates models & groupies :lol:
THat's not even Feli. although, almost him.

Saumon
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Isn't Igor dating Kirilenko tho? :p

Experimentee
09-24-2006, 04:00 PM
What were they doing playing Tursunov on clay? :eek:
Exciting to follow a close match between two clay court clowns though :lol:
Congrats to Dima and Russia!

_pyromatic
09-24-2006, 04:04 PM
That doesn't explain Dima's intentions. :aplot:

hanabishi
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
this pic is so sad.

I find this one sadder.. such a shame one of them had to lose.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/annie572/andydima.jpg

General Suburbia
09-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Also, too bad for Roddick. I'm not his biggest fan, but he really fought throughout the match. It was a pleasure to see none of the players giving up! He can take a lot of positive things from this match, even if he lost.
Doubt it. Andy never likes to lose, he'll be crying himself to sleep for days.

Argenbrit
09-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Congrats to Dima and Russia! :)

Tennis Fool
09-24-2006, 04:16 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/09/24/russia-large.jpg

Broomie
09-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Dmitry said he won for Marat! :inlove: :lol:

How nice of him! :cool:
Marat just lost in straight sets :lol:
Apparently he had never won a dead rubber. Wasn't going to start today! :lol:

R.Federer
What on earth has happened to Andreev? Not just his hair, but he seems to have bloated (the kind like where you are on medication).

adee-gee
Exciting match, if not the best quality.

:sad: for Andy, he fought hard but it wasn't to be. He's still far too negative on his forehand. It was also slightly disappointing the number of balls he didn't chase, especially on big points. It was kind of strange, because there were other points where he'd chase everything. Good effort from Tursunov though.

Congrats to Russia.

Tennis Fool
09-24-2006, 04:22 PM
What on earth has happened to Andreev? Not just his hair, but he seems to have bloated (the kind like where you are on medication).
I guess that's what happens when you're on injury leave for over a year ;)

liptea
09-24-2006, 04:22 PM
is there another competition behind the Davis Cup that we don't know of? the team who has the gayest action wins or something :lol:

this pic is HOT!

that would explain a lot.

also, I was planning on waking up to see the US lose 4-1, but I'm actually really glad that they only lost 3-2! vamanos! maybe next year.

cherry@cupcake
09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Congrats to Dima 'No-Fear' Tursunov! :woohoo: I hope this is a turning point and we see him in the top ten soon. Well done! :D

Andy :sad: Well played. Too bad anybody had to lose a match like that.

Both guys: :worship: I was exhausted just watching you in that final set.

Good luck to Russia in the final!

tennisgal_001
09-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Great fight from both guys. Not a fan of Andy's, but you can't help but feel bad for him. When did Dmitry learn to "grind out" matches? He must so proud. Congrats to Russia for playing an excellent tie. I thought by Sunday, Shamil would either be a "hero" or a "zero". His gamble has turned into one helluva foxy tactic.

Dmitry & Igor... LMFAO!!! I saw it live, and it was so clear it was an accident (honestly guys), but I still find it so incredibly hilarious.

Kalliopeia
09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Dmitry & Igor... LMFAO!!! I saw it live, and it was so clear it was an accident (honestly guys), but I still find it so incredibly hilarious.

I really hope we get to see it on our coverage. :)

As for Andy. I can't stand the guy, but I do feel kind of bad for him. A loss like this can't be easy. I'd say better luck next time, but, well. I'd be lying.

Tennis Fool
09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
How nice of him! :cool:
Marat just lost in straight sets :lol:
Apparently he had never won a dead rubber. Wasn't going to start today! :lol:
What was on Marat's mind going into the rubber:

1. Whoa! What was that between Dima and Igor?
2. Rubber. Rubber=condoms. I need to get some for tonight.
3. I need to buy a suit for my team picture with the President.
4. Who's turn is it to pay for dinner? Did I pay last time?
5. If I pay for dinner, need to go to a great restaurant. Vodka all around! I feel great now! Won't later on!
6. I didn't see the Blondes in the stands!

Broomie
09-24-2006, 04:43 PM
What was on Marat's mind going into the rubber:

1. Whoa! What was that between Dima and Igor?
2. Rubber. Rubber=condoms. I need to get some for tonight.
3. I need to buy a suit for my team picture with the President.
4. Who's turn is it to pay for dinner? Did I pay last time?
5. If I pay for dinner, need to go to a great restaurant. Vodka all around! I feel great now! Won't later on!
6. I didn't see the Blondes in the stands!
1 and 5
In the first set he couldn't stop wondering about dima and igor. In the second he couldn't wait anymore to get ready for the restaurant and the little party!

oops, he has to flight to Bagkok, so I guess 6 instead of 5...

ReservoirCat
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM

"If you wanna know, if he loves you so it's in his kiss..." :inlove:

tennisgal_001
09-24-2006, 04:50 PM
"If you wanna know, if he loves you so it's in his kiss..." :inlove:

LOL!
The photo angle is very misleading btw. ;)
However, I still haven't figured out why Igor's eyes were closed!!!

GlennMirnyi
09-24-2006, 04:54 PM
DIMA!!!!!
Incredible... Dima's first great win on clay. Tarpischev sure knows how to handle his tesm.

ps: great win not because of Roddick, but because it was pivotal in Russia's winning.

ReservoirCat
09-24-2006, 05:00 PM
That pic must be kept in the archives:lol: It seems like Andreev is kissing him passionately, with his eyes closed OMG:lol:

:lol:

Not fooling anybody with that oh so casual way your arms went straight around Dima's neck... Obvious much Igor? ;)

Action Jackson
09-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Interview with Tursunov.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsaudio.asp?id=13906

rrfnpump
09-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Dima :lol: :D :yeah:
it must have been clay-court tennis at its best :rolls:

even Dima can beat Roddick on clay :lol:
I wonder if Srichaphan could do it also :p

congrats Russia :bigclap: :yeah:
please win it all now !!!!!

DrJules
09-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Tursunov did reach the 3rd round of the French Open this year and win the first 2 sets of his match against Nalbandian who reached the semi-final so I am not sure why so many are saying Tursunov is that bad on a clay court. :scratch:

morningglory
09-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Dima :lol: :D :yeah:
it must have been clay-court tennis at its best :rolls:

even Dima can beat Roddick on clay :lol:
I wonder if Srichaphan could do it also :p

congrats Russia :bigclap: :yeah:
please win it all now !!!!!
hell no no no... pls I don't wanna see that match :o
Ball on clay is :tape:

ReservoirCat
09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
LOL!
The photo angle is very misleading btw. ;)
However, I still haven't figured out why Igor's eyes were closed!!!

:lol:

So caught up in the moment... ;) We watched as it happened and one of my bros is going "there'll be a story about that on tennisslash by tonight." :lol:

shotgun
09-24-2006, 05:37 PM
I remember some people saying after the QF tie that Americans had too much GARRA for the Chileans.

So what can I say? I guess Russians have too much MOJO for the Americans!!! :haha:

Seriously now, good fight by both players, and Americans almost made an impressive comeback today (wtf happened to Safin??).

And thanks for nothing, Davydenko. Might as well call up Korolev for the final.

Broomie
09-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Interview with Tursunov.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsaudio.asp?id=13906
Dima is funny:
Q: you just have the crowd shouting "spasiba", "spasiba", "thank you", what a feeling that must be?
DT:I think marat might have had a shot as well cause he had to play the next match and yeah, he was forcing me to win this match.

Q:After those first two and half set, no one is gonna ever say that you're not a claycourter
DT: Yeah, again, Andy i don't think he's... Quite different of a claycourter than let's say rafael nadal.

Sad for roddick though:
http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsaudio.asp?id=13907
"I feel like I let my team down, and DC losses are probably some of the toughest losses that you'll take"

the cat
09-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Congrats to Tursunov on such a huge win beating Roddick in s 5 set thriller to propel Russia in the 2006 Davis Cup final against Argentina. :) But I feel for Andy. :(

~*BGT*~
09-24-2006, 05:44 PM
oh really

couldnt have you posted that in another more appropriate thread?
No. :rolleyes:

tennisgal_001
09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Dima is funny:
Q: you just have the crowd shouting "spasiba", "spasiba", "thank you", what a feeling that must be?
DT:I think marat might have had a shot as well cause he had to play the next match and yeah, he was forcing me to win this match.

Q:After those first two and half set, no one is gonna ever say that you're not a claycourter
DT: Yeah, again, Andy i don't think he's... Quite different of a claycourter than let's say rafael nadal.

When he paused for a second before saying "Rafael Nadal" I was like "PLEASE do not say Rafa"... I was on the floor!!!

Vass
09-24-2006, 05:55 PM
(wtf happened to Safin??).
he tanked.

And thanks for nothing, Davydenko. Might as well call up Korolev for the final.
The guy cought a cold virus when he came to Moscow. Sobkin (Youzhny's coach), was giving an interview to one russian radio station one day before the tie and mentioned this

GlennMirnyi
09-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Tursunov did reach the 3rd round of the French Open this year and win the first 2 sets of his match against Nalbandian who reached the semi-final so I am not sure why so many are saying Tursunov is that bad on a clay court. :scratch:

Maybe because he lost to Frederico Gil in Estoril?

carroll
09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
17-15. Jesus. :eek:

Yay for Russia! Thank God, if only for the sake of my nerves, it's not coming down to Safin.

Good job in a hell of a fight, Dima! :worship:

Exactly like me ! That was my main fear to see him having to play the last match with all the pressure :rolleyes:

Vass
09-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Sad for roddick though:
"I feel like I let my team down, and DC losses are probably some of the toughest losses that you'll take"
Unpleasant to even think about it.

chewy
09-24-2006, 06:16 PM
very tough loss to take for roddick...

but this is a terrific match for Tursunov, hes a great fighter!

~*BGT*~
09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Was this win bigger than when he beat Gasquet this year? It was also a 5 setter and a clincher match. I consider that the bigger win because it was in France and Richie is the great French hope.

euroka1
09-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Sad for roddick though:

Andy takes himself much too seriously both in defeat and victory. None of us matter all that much.

thrust
09-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Great try Andy! Neither Andy or James are clay court specialists either. Dimitri, another Russian trained and living in the USA, probably played the match of his life today. Good for him.

GlennMirnyi
09-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Was this win bigger than when he beat Gasquet this year? It was also a 5 setter and a clincher match. I consider that the bigger win because it was in France and Richie is the great French hope.

If you consider just the match and the opponent, yes, Gasquet's win was more important. However, clay is Tursunov's worst surface and today's match qualified Russia to the final, so I think it's more important.

MariaV
09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
This is just a cover-up, didn't you know. ;)

rmb6687
09-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Oy, I just listened to that post-match interview, and now i actually feel bad for rooting for Russia....damn...:sad:

darnyelb
09-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I didn't know Tursunov had it in him to grind this kind of match out. well done for the Russian team, but man am I bummed...

MarieS
09-24-2006, 07:23 PM
OLN is actually showing the match now. Dima is drop shotting Andy to death. :rolls:. This is just too precious.

darnyelb
09-24-2006, 07:27 PM
OLN is actually showing the match now. Dima is drop shotting Andy to death. :rolls:. This is just too precious.

holy crap, thanks for the heads up! no chance that this aired version has a different result? :sad:

Vass
09-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Oy, I just listened to that post-match interview, and now i actually feel bad for rooting for Russia....damn...:sad:
Your rooting for USA, just like your rooting for Russia didn't decide much. Don't look down on yourself.

ys
09-24-2006, 07:37 PM

Before you say things like that, please check Safin's DC record.

shotgun
09-24-2006, 07:39 PM
The guy cought a cold virus when he came to Moscow. Sobkin (Youzhny's coach), was giving an interview to one russian radio station one day before the tie and mentioned this

The fact of the matter is, he doesn't care much about Davis Cup. He prefers to play 36 tournaments a year than be part of the winning team.

ys
09-24-2006, 07:43 PM
And yes , nothing to be ashamed of for Roddick in this. Brilliant comeback after being 2 sets down. Having to receive into the deciding set, plus quite hostile crowd, huge disadvantage ( which, in fact costed him the match, I am quite sure that Dima might not have lasted 32 games in the fifth if he had to serve to stay in the match time after time, totally different kind of pressure ) yet he still fought his heart off and almost won it. Roddick did his best. Great match. Someone had to win. It's tennis.

ys
09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
The fact of the matter is, he doesn't care much about Davis Cup. He prefers to play 36 tournaments a year than be part of the winning team.

You must not have seen his DC match against Clement in April then.. He played himself into injury that has costed him a significant part of clay season.. yet he won that crucial match on a surface that he openly dislikes.

NYCtennisfan
09-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Tursunov has only won 6 matches at the ATP level on clay. One was against Ivo, another was against Bogomolov, and one this year against Elias of Portugal who was given a WC into the Estoril tournament. His current rank is #1100 something.

shotgun
09-24-2006, 08:02 PM
You must not have seen his DC match against Clement in April then.. He played himself into injury that has costed him a significant part of clay season.. yet he won that crucial match on a surface that he openly dislikes.

Pure crap. It wasn't a serious injury, since he went on and played Valencia, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Estoril, Rome, Hamburg, Portschach and Roland Garros.

tangerine_dream
09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I find this one sadder.. such a shame one of them had to lose.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/annie572/andydima.jpg
I don't see anything particularly sad about these pics? :confused: It's not like Andy used Dima's shoulder to cry on (although that would've made a bittersweet photo op)

I think Andy's audio interview is much more sad. Davis Cup means so much to him and he feels like he let his team down. Poor kid :hug: :hug: :hug:

Nice pic of Dima's boyfriend Andreev, btw. :lol:

Corey Feldman
09-24-2006, 08:15 PM
ooo what a match, 17-15 in the fifth eh... that has to hurt

:p

now russia, please destroy argentina in the final.

darnyelb
09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Pure crap. It wasn't a serious injury, since he went on and played Valencia, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Estoril, Rome, Hamburg, Portschach and Roland Garros.

sorry, this cracked me up. The list of tournaments this dude plays is INSANE.

Jimnik
09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Great match, great win for Russia. :yeah: Hopefully, they will beat Argentina.

Andy will be very disappointed with this match. He should have played more aggressive rather than sitting back and waiting for errors. This was the form that got him into trouble earlier this year.

Dima was more up for this than Andy was. He was the one hitting the big shots and taking the risks. It was important for him to be serving first in the 5th set but, at the end of the day, he deserved the win.

scarecrows
09-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Maybe because he lost to Frederico Gil in Estoril?

and also to Cuadrado in barcelona :lol:

pistolmarat
09-24-2006, 08:34 PM
:eek the score:tape:
what a match:wiorship:
congrats Dima:yeah:
Tursunov actually served better than Roddick today:smash:

Mechlan
09-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Damn, I feel for Andy. What a heartbreaker after coming back so far. Though on somewhat of a positive note, he still has such a long ways to go in terms of playing his best tennis. Well done to Dima for winning it and congrats Russia. Good luck against the Argies.

Merton
09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Congrats Dima, I was very surprised that they picked him. Andy did well to come back to a 5th set but he failed to close out the match and lost deservedly.

cobalt60
09-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I have been watching it on OLN. Heartbreaker for ARod for sure and although there have been ups and downs from both today, Dima played better overall. Again kudos to both of them. I am enjoying the show :worship:
And man there are a lot of good looking tennis players on these teams;)

ANT0N!0
09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Wow! What a battle... Definitely, an epic win by Tursunov! 17-15 in the 5th, what a match... :worship:

Poor Rod-dick by the way, I find it heartbreaking to lose this way!

breakingthehabit
09-25-2006, 06:28 AM
anyone has a link or video of the 5th set? i watched few games of it in the gym (as i don't hv cable, i watch it for free in the gym), it looked so tight. but, i was already run out of gas so i couldn't watch it anymore. if anyone has it, pls put it up,thks

gulzhan
09-25-2006, 07:42 AM
This is the beauty of Davis Cup, two guys not just doing it for themselves.

Just came back from Moscow and WOW-- great thread here alredy! :bigclap: I was there and sensed it all-- don't know if anything could be compared with this match! It's not only 17-15 in the fifth set-- it's fighting deadly for the country's pride, nothing more! Something we lack now... :sad: Maybe Davis Cup has right to exist in the selfish tennis world even though it does cause damage to many tennis players... :confused:

The crowd was AMAZING!!! Mitya fought because he sensed it (Roddick sensed it too! ;) Boy, did he hate it! :devil: ), he had no right to lose... When Roddick was serving for the match at 6-5, believe me, he did not choke! He did the best he could-- it's Tursunov and the crowd that did not let him win!!! And then, game after game, game after game--- Turso kept having problems at his serve (several times started at love 30!) and Roddick had not (most of his games looked easy!), but still, Mitya was playing as that was the last match in his life, as nothing else mattered, and the crowd cheered as it was the last battle for all the Russians...

You should have seen that-- Youzhny and Andreev cheered so hard, jumped up after each point won by Mitya and turned to the crowd that went just crazy! This stupid picture that is posted here, well, whoever was there, understands how it happened-- I think it was natural, everyone wanted to kiss Tursunov at that moment! :p Yeltzin hugged him so hard! Fetisov hugged him too! It looked so personal! All the people were saying "spasibo" to Tursunov because that is how everyone felt!

And finally, don't throw stones into Davydenko-- he wanted to play, he was real sick with the flu, when we saw him on the second day, we knew he could not play! Great wise Tarpishev! He put his bet on character and won!

Frankly, the best thing about this victory is that each player won one match, each participated! The best team Russia ever had! :worship: Argentina has no chance! :devil:

azza
09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
now thats sumfing to blog about!!

liptea
09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
after a whole month of russian......

I know what "spaseba" means!!!!

thanks russians!

Hip-And-Happenin
09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Anyone have this match to upload????

Winston's Human
09-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Just came back from Moscow and WOW-- great thread here alredy! :bigclap: I was there and sensed it all-- don't know if anything could be compared with this match! It's not only 17-15 in the fifth set-- it's fighting deadly for the country's pride, nothing more! Something we lack now... :sad: Maybe Davis Cup has right to exist in the selfish tennis world even though it does cause damage to many tennis players... :confused:

The crowd was AMAZING!!! Mitya fought because he sensed it (Roddick sensed it too! ;) Boy, did he hate it! :devil: ), he had no right to lose... When Roddick was serving for the match at 6-5, believe me, he did not choke! He did the best he could-- it's Tursunov and the crowd that did not let him win!!! And then, game after game, game after game--- Turso kept having problems at his serve (several times started at love 30!) and Roddick had not (most of his games looked easy!), but still, Mitya was playing as that was the last match in his life, as nothing else mattered, and the crowd cheered as it was the last battle for all the Russians...

You should have seen that-- Youzhny and Andreev cheered so hard, jumped up after each point won by Mitya and turned to the crowd that went just crazy! This stupid picture that is posted here, well, whoever was there, understands how it happened-- I think it was natural, everyone wanted to kiss Tursunov at that moment! :p Yeltzin hugged him so hard! Fetisov hugged him too! It looked so personal! All the people were saying "spasibo" to Tursunov because that is how everyone felt!

And finally, don't throw stones into Davydenko-- he wanted to play, he was real sick with the flu, when we saw him on the second day, we knew he could not play! Great wise Tarpishev! He put his bet on character and won!

Frankly, the best thing about this victory is that each player won one match, each participated! The best team Russia ever had! :worship: Argentina has no chance! :devil:

Thanks for the first-hand report.

Michael Pemulis
09-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi there,

Take this (http://pemulis.blogspot.com), guyz.

Any videos of the match on youtube.com ???

{Annie}
09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there and there are no words to describe this :woohoo:

yomike
09-25-2006, 12:43 PM
17-15 in the third, what else can can you expect from two clay clowns.

gulzhan
09-25-2006, 02:13 PM
17-15 in the third, what else can can you expect from two clay clowns.

I don't think surface played any role here. Thy could play hard, clay, carpet, grass, concrete, soil, sand, anything...

Roddick fought "not to let his country down..." He tried his best to do something to be proud of... He could not bear losing both matches to players who are lower in ranking! And be solely responsible for the team's defeat! Not when the Bryans won! Not now, when he is new old Roddick back!

Tursunov fought to bring a victory-- Safin and Youzhny did their jobs, he could not let himself be worse. And he knew Davydenko could not play. And will be blamed if things go bad. And Safin might lose and then not recover until the end of the season and maybe never... Because he needed something in this season to be proud of! Now, when he works so hard on his come-back! And Tarpishev probably told him-- I did not plan you to play, but I have nobody else....

Does it sound too complicated to you? It's men's game. And deserve some respect! :worship:

Deathless Mortal
09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
IT WAS A GREAT MATCH!

euroka1
09-25-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't think surface played any role here. Thy could play hard, clay, carpet, grass, concrete, soil, sand, anything...

Roddick fought "not to let his country down..." He tried his best to do something to be proud of... He could not bear losing both matches to players who are lower in ranking! And be solely responsible for the team's defeat! Not when the Bryans won! Not now, when he is new old Roddick back!

Tursunov fought to bring a victory-- Safin and Youzhny did their jobs, he could not let himself be worse. And he knew Davydenko could not play. And will be blamed if things go bad. And Safin might lose and then not recover until the end of the season and maybe never... Because he needed something in this season to be proud of! Now, when he works so hard on his come-back! And Tarpishev probably told him-- I did not plan you to play, but I have nobody else....

Does it sound too complicated to you? It's men's game. And deserve some respect! :worship:

All true and nicely put.

tangerine_dream
09-25-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't think surface played any role here. Thy could play hard, clay, carpet, grass, concrete, soil, sand, anything... It's men's game. And deserve some respect! :worship:
I agree. And now that I've seen the match in its entirety, the people here who are going on and on about both guys being "clay clowns" missed the match: Tursunov and Roddick may not have been playing classic claycourt tennis but they were far from clowns. For close to five hours, they both kept the intensity up and the pressure on their opponent. The last set was brilliant. Of all the DC matches being played, I'm sure this one would be the best of the bunch. After much hype , the Argie-Aussie matches ended up being rather disappointing.

Judging from his summer hardcourt performance, Dima was overdue for a breakthrough. Perhaps being the DC hero will be a career turning-point for him.

I'd make a torrent of this match but I don't have enough memory on my computer to store it.

I like this article from Bud Collins:
http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/tennis/articles/2006/09/25/little_known_russian_brings_down_roddick/?page=2
Little-known Russian brings down Roddick
By Bud Collins | September 25, 2006

MOSCOW -- When a couple of guys hammer away at each other with clubs through 70 rounds -- make that games -- and are still dead even, what can they do? Call it a draw?

Not in tennis. They play two more games, and hope somebody will give way. But they'd been doing that for the last 75 minutes, and neither Andy Roddick nor Dmitry Tursonov -- who's he? -- could knock out the other.

As the score mounted, so did the tension in this monumental clash that may well have decided the 2006 world team championship -- the Davis Cup -- and the 15,071 hoarse voices kept going up, too, as they screamed their man's name in a locomotive chant: "DA-VAY DEE-MA! DA-VAY DEE-MA!" (Come on, Dima, the familiar of Dmitry.)

But who was this Dmitry Tursonov? What was he doing on the earthen floor of the Olympic Sports Complex, matching Roddick punch for punch -- and somehow flooring the world No. 6, winning an excruciating struggle that wound crazily around and about like the streets of downtown Boston, 6-3, 6-4, 5-7, 3-6, 17-15, in 4 hours 48 minutes (no tiebreaker in an ultimate Cup set).

Many in the full house were puzzled to see the slim, curly-headed blond Tursonov employed at all. Where was Nikolai Davydenko, No. 5, Russia's best clay-court operator? Or Mischa Youzhny, so brilliant in beating James Blake to give the homeland a 2-0 lead over the United States the first day? On the bench.

Tursonov is not a familiar face or name in these parts. Still, the RUSSIA on his shirt was enough to earn the throng's hearts and hopes against the US. However, the truth is he's a long-distance Russian, the male version of Maria Sharapova, after years of honing his arsenal on US paving. If it's any consolation to the losing Americans, they were beaten in the clincher by a Californian out of Roseville.

"We left Moscow 10 years ago," said Tursonov, who turns 24 in December.

"My father couldn't afford the coaches or court time here. It's easier in the States. I remember watching the US beat Russia in the 1995 final on TV. I felt bad for [Andrei] Chesnokov, who almost beat Pete Sampras, five sets, the first day. But I could never have imagined a day like today for me."

His assignment was to beat Roddick and give Russia an insuperable 3-1 lead in the best-of-five match Cup semis. The Russian victory means a favorite's role in the championship against Argentina in Moscow, Dec. 1-3.

It was a huge undertaking, to bring down Roddick, the combative world No. 6, US Open champ of 2003, and finalist to Roger Federer at the recent Open.

"I wanted it, but I didn't really expect to play," Tursonov said after a last six-minute thrust through the 71st and 72d games separated him from the leeching Roddick. "I didn't know until Shamil [Tarpishev, the Russian captain] told me this morning. I felt ready. I'd been practicing well."

Tarpishev, the shrewd, grizzled leader, was playing a hunch with No. 22 Tursonov, and he rode the 6-foot-1-inch hunch to the final, hoping to follow up on Russia's lone Cup of 2002. His was a surprise pick to the Russian camp as well as the loyalists, because Tursonov's miserable volleying in the doubles had made that match a simpler win for the Bryan twins, Bob and Mike.

"Well, that was doubles," Tarpishev said. "I liked the way Dima served and returned. That made up my mind, even though it was clay.

"We know he's better on hard courts." His forehand returns for outright winners were damaging.

Roddick was surprised, too, seeing Tursonov across the way. "He unloaded on me for two sets," he said. "I was at his mercy. But I got back into the living room for a while -- until he kicked me out. Losing a Cup match is a double-edged sword. It hurts more than a tournament. You feel you've let down your teammates and your country."

But Roddick let down nobody. For the full 4:48, he went all out, sprinting far and wide to retrieve incredibly, whacking aces and winners to dig out of holes. His recovery from wounds inflicted by the Russian's forehand -- along the lines, inside-out, crosscourt -- was pure grit, removing the boulder of a two-set deficit. Roddick escaped to 5-5 in the fifth, holding even though Tursonov was 2 points from the decision four times.

Throughout the climactic set, which grew waywardly into a 32-game monster, Roddick was ever threatening to win -- most certainly in the 12th game. His buzzing crosscourt forehand scored the service break.

At long last Roddick had worked his way out of the pit, and was startlingly ahead, 6-5, in the fifth after 3 hours 21 minutes. He was 3 points away at 15-all, but Tursonov wouldn't let him have it, pushing Roddick to forehand misses. They had a long march yet to go, keeping the mob in bedlam, aroar at the way these two went at each other like prizefighters in the 15th round. High-level shotmaking (and some goofs, too) made you wonder how long they could keep this gem gleaming.

How strong their hearts, how deep the adrenaline?

Roddick looked gone in the 24th game, skidding to 15-40 -- 2 match points. He erased them with a service winner and an ace, then a third as the Russian barely missed a backhand. It was 12-12.

They got past dreaded 13-13 to 15-15 as Roddick unleashed the last two of his 21 aces. Then Dima struck. Three aces for a 32 total lifted him to 16-15.

A double fault and Tursonov's forehand blast made it 0-30. Roddick caught up. But a weary backhand into the twine trapped him at match point once more. Tursonov's short ball brought Roddick to the net, where he was naked to a bye-bye backhand passer down the line.

It was over. The game American was beaten, his team condemned to a US record of 11 straight barren years, deprived of swilling victors' champagne from the aged punch bowl.

Tursonov said, "My strategy was to play his backhand, move him a lot. It worked for two sets. Then he adjusted and came back. In the fifth set there was no strategy. We just swung away." They created a masterpiece.

Unnecessary was the fifth match in which Blake beat a listless Marat Safin, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4), to make the score 3-2.

It might have been crucial had Tursonov not joined the ranks of little-known chaps who made Davis Cup painful for the US. Such as Pancho Guzman of Ecuador, Jairo Velasco of Colombia, Han Schwaier of Germany, Hugo Chapacu of Paraguay, Davide Sanguinetti of Italy.

Remember them? Doubtful.

Tursonov, though, has a shot at an encore in the final, and more good notices. He was amused when a reporter told him Dmitry means plow man in Greek. Well, he did plow the rectangular soil and the US with it.

Stats of match here as a pdf file:
http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?id=13809

RickDaStick
09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
The US players get a pass when it comes to davis cup. Most people dont even know what it is and the few who do dont care. If Roddick played for another country and lost those two ties he would be getting hammered in that countrys media, here in the US no one even mentions it so when Roddick says he feels bad about letting his country down he really shouldnt worry about it cuz no ones gives a shit.

gillian
09-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Amazing match. Kudos to Roddick for fighting hard, and bravo to Dmitry for pulling it out!

WillRogersBeach
09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I like this article from Bud Collins: http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/tennis/articles/2006/09/25/little_known_russian_brings_down_roddick/?page=2

Didn't anyone at The Boston Globe proofread Bud Collins' article? Bud Collins misspelled Dmitry's last name (Tursonov instead of Tursunov). He could at least get the winner's name right!!!!

WillRogersBeach
09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i43VQTky58A

Here is a video of Dima being interviewed on Russian television. Can our Russian friends please translate for us?

hanabishi
09-27-2006, 04:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i43VQTky58A

Here is a video of Dima being interviewed on Russian television. Can our Russian friends please translate for us?

Sorry can't understand a word of Russian but he probably said "That kiss with Andreev was hot!" hehe (although I heard "Marat" somewhere in that interview)

On another note, is that really Lina Krasnoroutskaya interviewing him. I was wondering what had happened to her. She looks great.

Vass
09-27-2006, 04:41 AM
On another note, is that really Lina Krasnoroutskaya interviewing him. I was wondering what had happened to her. She looks great.
Yep, that's her. She had LOTS of injuries :( and one one of the breaks from tennis got married. Hmmm, i don't remember if she already had a baby.... :o

I'll translate the interview later, if it's not already translated in the Tursunov forum.

partygirl
09-27-2006, 04:51 AM
:clap2:Greatest cakecourt match ever.