Pantani deceased [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Pantani deceased

Aurora
02-14-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm watching the tennis on raisport through the web, and they've announced Marco Pantani has been found dead in his house in Rimini. Another young sports man bites the dust... let the speculating begin!

Marine
02-14-2004, 10:31 PM
I just have read it..... :eek:
I don't like cycling, but I'm very shocked... it's sad.

Nymeria
02-14-2004, 10:48 PM
It just was on the sportnews :eek:

maratski
02-14-2004, 10:49 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

I just heard about it too. I sometimes watch cycling and remember him from a few years back.

Raoul Duke
02-14-2004, 11:11 PM
I'm in shock!!!!!

I'm a lifelong cycling fanatic and after Bugno, Pantani was my favorite rider. The most exciting and talented grimpeur of all time.... I cannot believe this. An incredible sad tragedy.

fuck

Lindsayfan
02-14-2004, 11:39 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

as for now,we only know that it wasnt a violent death so we have to exclude homicide or something like this.

MisterQ
02-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Very sad. :sad:

Raoul Duke, my condolences since you were such a fan. :sad:

Raoul Duke
02-15-2004, 01:58 AM
Hey thanks :)

It really hasn't sunk in yet that Marco Pantani is dead. That just doesn't sound right. It sounds surreal and absurd so I can't even say that i'm sad more like really shocked..

It is well known that his life and of course his career in the last 3 years or so had been one long tragic downfall including treatment for depression, court trials and alledged suicide attempts . A fall from graze if there ever was one....But each and everytime he desperately tried to make a comeback he was still supported and cheered on by the tifosi like no other rider in the peloton. He was the most popular and the most charismatic rider in the peloton. Not only because of his totally unique talent but his whole persona which reminded fans of the old legends.

But his career was over......and now his life too. I hope and I'm almost certain that it was suicide. It was at least his own choice..though I have to say that there are certain people that maybe, maybe not, deserve to have our fingers pointing at them......BUT that's a whole other discussion and now is not the time.
Now I'll just sit back and remember all the amazing experiences that he gave to millions of people and especially the diehard tifosi from 1994 to 2000. Always very fragile both physically and mentally but with an unique astonishing grimpeur talent that we in cycling only see every 15 to 20 years. Who knows if he was the last of the grimpeurs?
Nothing and I mean nothing was more exciting than seeing the prime Marco Pantani attack on a mountain. That was unique and that is what he will be remembered for!

Goodbye Marco!

CooCooCachoo
02-15-2004, 05:58 AM
Wow, this is shocking news. Since medicins have been found near his body, suicide is the logical thing to think about. I absolutely hated Marco "I use drugs to beat you" Pantani. I won't miss him, but for the sport it's sad, although I must say that losing Andrei Kivilev was a much worse experience. That really really shocked me.

Mrs. B
02-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Arrividerci, Pirata. :sad:

rest in peace.... +++

star
02-15-2004, 08:40 PM
I was shocked.

It's very sad for his family. I've been reading about it on Velonews and the Daily Peloton.

Since we have avid cycling fans here, I wonder if anyone posts on the message board at Daily Peloton. People are posting their memories of The Pirate there.

Leo
02-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Wow, how shocking. My condolences to the family. What a horrible blow to the sport. :sad:

Raoul Duke
02-16-2004, 11:37 PM
I was shocked.

It's very sad for his family. I've been reading about it on Velonews and the Daily Peloton.

Since we have avid cycling fans here, I wonder if anyone posts on the message board at Daily Peloton. People are posting their memories of The Pirate there.

I post frequently on a Danish cycling msg board but I know both sites and one the writers Jakob Duma (who also posts on the Danish board), probably knows more about up and comers in cycling, than anyone else...

loco_moskito
02-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Il Pirata was the best climber out there, he made cycling exciting and fun. Who can forget the double in 1998?