Andy in Thailand 2006 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy in Thailand 2006

09-24-2006, 09:02 AM
And you aren't going to believe who he plays in the 1st Round--Tim Henman :eek: Andy is seeded #4 in the Tournament.

MurrayFan1
09-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Andy will slay Tim.

09-25-2006, 04:10 AM
That is my feeling also. But I do think it is a shame that they have to meet right off in the 1st Round :sad:

rexman
09-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Did he do his kickboxing thing? Anyone know?

Sweet4Richard
09-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Go Andy!! :banana:

Henman fired up for Murray battle

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41434000/jpg/_41434179_henmurr_split_203.jpg

Tim Henman says he knows he will have to raise his game when he faces Andy Murray in round one of the Thailand Open in Bangkok on Wednesday.

The winner plays fellow Briton Alex Bogdanovic in the second round after his victory over Yeu-Tzuoo Wang.

British number one Murray, who played in the Davis Cup win over Ukraine on Sunday, was runner-up to Roger Federer in the tournament last year.

"I was happy when I heard I was facing him," he told newspaper Siam Sport.

"Every time we've met he's been in great form but if I want to progress I must play better than I have so far."

Henman missed the tournament last year with a back injury and will be keen to avoid a third loss to Murray this year.

The tournament is going ahead in Bangkok despite the recent military coup in the country, but Henman said he was not worried about that.

"I spoke to people before I came here and they said everything is all right. I feel comfortable here," he said.

"I would not play here if I'm not comfortable."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5375706.stm

Sweet4Richard
09-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Did he do his kickboxing thing? Anyone know?

According to the BBC, he's going to do it after his 1st round match

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5331950.stm :)

MurrayFan1
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Haha, I can't believe he lost this. Laaaame.

09-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I was shocked also :eek: I bet Brad Gilbert is not going to be happy about this!

Sweet4Richard
09-28-2006, 03:55 PM
:help: I guess he was tried or something from his DC matches.

At least, he's still alive in doubles with his brother Jaimes!!! :woohoo:

Sweet4Richard
09-28-2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/shared/2006/other/murray_thaiboxing.jpg

http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/gallery/2006/092706/2.jpg

http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/gallery/2006/092706/4.jpg

Fourth-seeded Andy Murray did not dwell on the disappointment of losing his first career match in four meetings against British compatriot Tim Henman at the Thailand Open on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old was immediately whisked away to make his Thai boxing debut against the 1996 Olympic gold medalist Somruk Kumsing.

Kumsing took Murray through his paces and taught the Scot a few tricks on site at the Impact Arena in Bangkok. Hundreds of fans and media attended the event and afterwards Murray received a pair of shorts as a gift.

"It was good fun and it's always good to meet athletes from other sports,” Murray explained afterwards. “He showed me some moves but I didn't want to kick him too hard. He said I am powerful."

Murray arrived in Bangkok on Monday, having helped Great Britain maintain their place in the Davis Cup Euro-African zone following a 3-2 win over Ukraine in Odessa on Sunday.

Earlier this season Murray captured his maiden ATP title in San Jose, beating Lleyton Hewitt in the final. He also finished runner-up to Arnaud Clement in Washington and currently holds a 37-22 match record for the year. He is currently ranked No. 17 in the INDESIT ATP 2006 Race.

Ome
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
At least, he's still alive in doubles with his brother Jaimes!!! :woohoo:

I watched his doubles match today. So glad to see them having fun together :D

Oh, I bumped into Andy today at Starbucks...
I went in to get a cup of coffee. He was with Brad and Vijah talking about tennis and stuff. He was about to leave for his doubles match so I asked Andy if I could have a picture with him... He was smilling and said "sure!" :angel:

I asked Brad to do the honor :aplot:

Me: Brad, can you take a pic of me and Andy?
Brad: Sure... but how can I do this thing?
Me: (It's a phone camera btw.) Just press the center button.
Brad: Oh, okay
Andy: The other way around, Brad!!!! (smiling)
Brad: Oh, sure. I'm not very smart with the phone!

*Well, he turned the camera facing himself. Pretty funny!*

Then the other girl walked in. Also asked Brad to take a pic for her...

And :haha: Brad did it again!!!!! He faced the camera to himself. We all told him "The OTHER WAY AROUND!!"

Brad was like, you can see I'm not very good at it.

I think I heard him say that he was silly or sth! :lol:

Andy is really nice! :D

Sweet4Richard
09-29-2006, 01:48 AM
That's such a cute story. :) I want to see the photos, if its no trouble at all.

:rolls: at Brad!! I can just imagine him. You gotta love him ;)

I love Jaime :hearts: He was so lovely when I met him.

Mechlan
09-29-2006, 02:03 AM
I watched his doubles match today. So glad to see them having fun together :D

Oh, I bumped into Andy today at Starbucks...
I went in to get a cup of coffee. He was with Brad and Vijah talking about tennis and stuff. He was about to leave for his doubles match so I asked Andy if I could have a picture with him... He was smilling and said "sure!" :angel:

I asked Brad to do the honor :aplot:

Me: Brad, can you take a pic of me and Andy?
Brad: Sure... but how can I do this thing?
Me: (It's a phone camera btw.) Just press the center button.
Brad: Oh, okay
Andy: The other way around, Brad!!!! (smiling)
Brad: Oh, sure. I'm not very smart with the phone!

*Well, he turned the camera facing himself. Pretty funny!*

Then the other girl walked in. Also asked Brad to take a pic for her...

And :haha: Brad did it again!!!!! He faced the camera to himself. We all told him "The OTHER WAY AROUND!!"

Brad was like, you can see I'm not very good at it.

I think I heard him say that he was silly or sth! :lol:

Andy is really nice! :D

That's awesome. Andy is really nice. Always has time for fans, spends forever signing autographs etc. Good for you. :yeah:

Ome
09-29-2006, 03:59 AM
That's such a cute story. :) I want to see the photos, if its no trouble at all.

:rolls: at Brad!! I can just imagine him. You gotta love him ;)

I love Jaime :hearts: He was so lovely when I met him.

Well, I'm not home right now and I'll be going to Hong Kong next week. So I'll try my best to post them asap :)

*My pic with Andy was poor in term of quality :lol: It was dark since Starbucks itself wasn't a great place to take a picture. Plus, my Nokia N70 isn't in a good shape anymore... :(

MurrayFan1
09-29-2006, 12:22 PM
That's awesome. Andy is really nice. Always has time for fans, spends forever signing autographs etc. Good for you. :yeah:

I remember when he lost to Bagdhatis at Wimbledon, he was standing signing autographs for like 15 minutes.

Sweet4Richard
09-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Well, I'm not home right now and I'll be going to Hong Kong next week. So I'll try my best to post them asap :)

*My pic with Andy was poor in term of quality :lol: It was dark since Starbucks itself wasn't a great place to take a picture. Plus, my Nokia N70 isn't in a good shape anymore... :(

No worries at all. And take your time. No rush whatsoever! :)

09-30-2006, 04:55 AM
A great story and great pictures of Andy in Thailand :D I have always heard he is very nice to all his fans :) And for some reason I thought this Forum would have more posters? After all Andy is in the Top Twenty in the World :yippee:

Mechlan
09-30-2006, 09:07 AM
I remember when he lost to Bagdhatis at Wimbledon, he was standing signing autographs for like 15 minutes.

Yeah, it's so great to see a player that cares enough to stay on even after he loses. Most players can't wait to get out of there after the match ends.

Sweet4Richard
09-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Andy and Jaime are in the doubles final :woohoo:

They will take on the blogging team of Andy Ram and Jonathan Elrich.

Good Luck Jaime and Andy!!!

10-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Good luck to the Murrays tomorrow in the Doubles' Final :D

Sweet4Richard
10-01-2006, 08:47 PM
They lost.... Erlich / Ram d. Murray / Murray 6-2 2-6 10-4 :sad:

What a great effort though :) Let's hope they can keep playing well together! :yeah:

10-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm sorry they were defeated :sad: I hope they have better luck in Japan :D