Help with racquet choice: one with control or power? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Help with racquet choice: one with control or power?

Hokit
09-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Hi guys! :wavey:

At the moment, I've got the Yonex Ultimum Ti Muscle Power. It's OK, but it's hard to control my shots with this racquet.

What racquets in the Yonex range are good with control? The one Lleyton Hewitt had last year (the RDX, I think) looked good, but I get the impression it lacks enough power and because of that forces the player to play defensively most of the times.

Or what about racquet strings? I'm poor (very, very poor), so it'd be a lot cheaper for me to re-string my racquet rather than change the racquet altogether. I understand that generally the looser the strings, the harder I can hit the shots (but the more often I've got to re-adjust them). What kind of strings am I look at to have more control over my shots?

Thanks in advance! :D

Fuego Frío
10-13-2006, 06:21 PM
:) hey yes the one lleyton hewitt uses is more of a control racket than a power one, but i have demoed it and yoi can still play good attack with it. Try the wilson ncode range they always have a good range. In terms of strings.. u'd want a durable one... not wilson nxt

Hokit
10-27-2006, 02:26 PM
:) hey yes the one lleyton hewitt uses is more of a control racket than a power one, but i have demoed it and yoi can still play good attack with it. Try the wilson ncode range they always have a good range. In terms of strings.. u'd want a durable one... not wilson nxt

I once used a Wilson racquet (back in '95 - forgot the code name thought) and it was good, but the frame was so weak! :eek: It didn't even last a year and it snapped when I...um...got a little fiesty :p

I'll definitely look into the Wilson range. I like the look of Federer's one since it looks like it has control and power, but I'm not sure whether it's more him or the racquet.

Thanks again!

Solat
10-29-2006, 03:31 PM
why not just get control strings at a higher tension in your current racquet?

surely if you are comfortable with it the feel of it in your hand then you can adjust the specifics to accomodate your game style.

Head Rip Control is a popular control string that holds tension well.

rossn
10-29-2006, 08:31 PM
If I were you, I would demo two racquets, one control racquet, and one power racquet, see what you like more.

Hokit
11-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Actually I haven't restrung my racquet at all. I've had it for a year and I keep telling myself to do something about it, but I'm not sure which type of string to get. My racquet's a Yonex Ultimum Ti Muscle Power (looks like the one Nalbandian and Hewitt's using atm), but it's one of those that requires perfect technique to hit a good shot. Otherwise its easy making errors with it. What kind of strings am I looking at that fits well with my racquet? Brand? Material?

Thanks guys :wavey: