Let me end this argument, there is no difference between a 1 and 2 hand backhand [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Let me end this argument, there is no difference between a 1 and 2 hand backhand

Ibeat_rgrfederer
09-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Dear New Tennis Players,

Recently I've heard a lot of misinformed talk saying there are advantages and disadvatages to each when comparing them. To be honest, this is false. Certainly there are disadvatages in comparison to the forehand, which should be the better shot, but there shouldn't be any in comparison to the two hander to one hander or vice versa. The only, AND I EMPHASIZE, THE ONLY, advantages/disadvantages for each lie in the learning of the two, not in the actual backhands themselves.

In learning the 2 hander, it is difficult to acquire topsin, slice, volley, and reach. However you can handle pace and rally well and hit flat.

In learning the 1 hander, it is difficult to hit high bouncing balls and handle pace. However you can hit with topspin, slice, flat and volley and reach well.

BUT! When you have mastered your respected backhand there is absolutely NO difference in what you can do with it, to what a different backhand can do with the ball. 2 handers will run faster and have more compact strokes to compensate for reach. 1 handers with have better timing and strength in the one arm to compensate for the pace and the high bouncing balls.

END OF DISCUSSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracy_Ace
09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
You are completely wrong here. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages and you just admotted there were. I don't have time to argue right now but I'll give you two quick examples. The 2-hander you have a shorter reach. This IS a disadvantage but you may OVERCOME this for example, by training foot speed or form. Also, the 1-hander does not handle pace very well. This IS a disadvantage but you may OVERCOME this for example, by strengthening your arm.

There are obvious pros/cons to each but they can both be evened out. To be honest I luaghed when you said "mastered" your chosen backhand. I'm yet to see a backhand master and doubbt I ever will.

Ibeat_rgrfederer
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
You are completely wrong here. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages and you just admotted there were. I don't have time to argue right now but I'll give you two quick examples. The 2-hander you have a shorter reach. This IS a disadvantage but you may OVERCOME this for example, by training foot speed or form. Also, the 1-hander does not handle pace very well. This IS a disadvantage but you may OVERCOME this for example, by strengthening your arm.

There are obvious pros/cons to each but they can both be evened out. To be honest I luaghed when you said "mastered" your chosen backhand. I'm yet to see a backhand master and doubbt I ever will.

Oh God, how the American education system has failed us. No, I did not "admotted there were." This is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Your ignorance has allowed to fall into the grasp of stereotypes. It is a generalization that 1 handers can't handle pace, because I know one handers who could handle pace far better than any 2 handers I know. And as far as reach for a 2 hander, what about guys 6'5" with two hands compared to guys 5'5" with one hand (Rochus). DON'T SEE A REACH ADVANTAGE! Jesus Christ, just open your eyes.

Tracy_Ace
09-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Height and strength have nothing to do with the backhand themselves or "mastering" the backhand, those are ways to make up for the weaknesses in the chosen style. If I have a 2-hand backhand I can't just say "I'm going to be 6'5" now so I have a better reach" now could I? Lets go along with your example. Would the 6'5" guy have a better reach with a 1-hander or a 2-hander? Unless his form is horrible, it will certainly be the 1-hander. Your friend who has the strong pace on a 1-hander, would he not have more pace if he used 2 hands? Well of course he would, he just choses not to use 2-hands.

Please actually read an argument before you insult me and my lack of typing abilities.

napki
09-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Good luck in mastering your bh. Please pop up in here and share your vast experience when you actually have it. :rolleyes:

Ibeat_rgrfederer
09-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Good luck in mastering your bh. Please pop up in here and share your vast experience when you actually have it. :rolleyes:

Which is exactly what I'm doing.

sharpeirob
09-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Mistaflava.Again. :wavey:

Ibeat_rgrfederer
09-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Height and strength have nothing to do with the backhand themselves or "mastering" the backhand, those are ways to make up for the weaknesses in the chosen style. If I have a 2-hand backhand I can't just say "I'm going to be 6'5" now so I have a better reach" now could I? Lets go along with your example. Would the 6'5" guy have a better reach with a 1-hander or a 2-hander? Unless his form is horrible, it will certainly be the 1-hander. Your friend who has the strong pace on a 1-hander, would he not have more pace if he used 2 hands? Well of course he would, he just choses not to use 2-hands.

Please actually read an argument before you insult me and my lack of typing abilities.

You're missing the point, AGAIN!!!! He might have a better reach or more power, but once he's become excellent with it, IT WON'T MATTER. The STROKE WON'T WIN HIM THE POINT. His play will. So in essence, it doesn't matter niggaaaaaa! Holla back!

napki
09-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Which is exactly what I'm doing.
Oh come on, you can't talk about it seriously unless you actually tried to do what you said. It looks like proving mathematical equation and in theory what you're saying is possible. :angel:

But seriously, if you can pull 2 shots that are identical it doesn't matter whether you're using one- or two- handed bh, you will get the same result. In the end, identical shots supposed to have the same outcome. :shrug: but what will it take for you to master each of those shots? I doubt you'll have the same success with both, it depends on your physical characteristics for one and they're not very easy to change. So just saying "i can get to the same level with both of those shots so i'll pick whatever the current #1 is using" is gambling on what will work best for you.

Ibeat_rgrfederer
09-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Oh come on, you can't talk about it seriously unless you actually tried to do what you said. It looks like proving mathematical equation and in theory what you're saying is possible. :angel:

But seriously, if you can pull 2 shots that are identical it doesn't matter whether you're using one- or two- handed bh, you will get the same result. In the end, identical shots supposed to have the same outcome. :shrug: but what will it take for you to master each of those shots? I doubt you'll have the same success with both, it depends on your physical characteristics for one and they're not very easy to change. So just saying "i can get to the same level with both of those shots so i'll pick whatever the current #1 is using" is gambling on what will work best for you.

Just put it this way, you would be good tennis player if you started lefty or righty. Doesn't matter

Solat
10-20-2006, 03:37 AM
In learning the 2 hander, it is difficult to acquire topsin, slice, volley, and reach. However you can handle pace and rally well and hit flat.

BUT! When you have mastered your respected backhand there is absolutely NO difference in what you can do with it, to what a different backhand can do with the ball. 2 handers will run faster and have more compact strokes to compensate for reach. 1 handers with have better timing and strength in the one arm to compensate for the pace and the high bouncing balls.

You are incorrect here, it is far easier to learn a topspin for two handed players the ability of the non dominant hand to brush the ball is far easier to achieve then with a single hander. The reach is barely a factor because two handed players learn to adapt footwork to compensate, it has been shown that contact point on single and double handed BH are virtually the same (when in position).

The main advantage of two handed BH is the ability to rotate out of open stance hitting, and the ability to handle pace more easily. Usually easier to hit return of serve too.

The main advantage of single handed BH is the better control of racquet for slice and volleys ( mainly due to the greater strength of wrist developed) this provides a greater variety essentially than the 2BH. Usually easier to hit approach shots too.

emphasis should be on gamestyle and a backhand that reflects/suits your gamestyle.

Ernham
11-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Dear New Tennis Players,

Recently I've heard a lot of misinformed talk saying there are advantages and disadvatages to each when comparing them. To be honest, this is false. Certainly there are disadvatages in comparison to the forehand, which should be the better shot, but there shouldn't be any in comparison to the two hander to one hander or vice versa. The only, AND I EMPHASIZE, THE ONLY, advantages/disadvantages for each lie in the learning of the two, not in the actual backhands themselves.

In learning the 1 hander, it is difficult to hit high bouncing balls and handle pace. However you can hit with topspin, slice, flat and volley and reach well.

Uhh. No. The first backhand I learned was one-handed. Strangely, it came "more naturally" for me. I played with just using that until my senior year of high school, when I started working with the university coach. He got me to start using the two handed backhand, and it totally changed my game around. The advantages to using a two-hander are incredible and many, with only one or two drawbacks. I started using the two handed backhand for 80-90% of my backhands and reverted to the one hander when over extended, getting a very low ball, slices, and when hitting an approach shot. The two handed backhand, once mastered, is extremely useful for beating hard servers and moonballers and reducing the the wear on your wrists.