Tursunov loses to KJ Hippensteel...who? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tursunov loses to KJ Hippensteel...who?

mad1town
02-10-2004, 02:45 AM
Well Dmitry Tursunov celebrated his direct entry in the Siebel Open and fortunate 1st round draw (vs. a qualifier) by going out and losing to the 377th ranked person in the world...KJ Hippensteel. Prior to making it through qualifying, Hippensteel prepared for the Siebel open by losing in the qualifying tournament for the Dallas Challenger event! The Stanford grad has been bumping around on the tour for several years playing mainly futures events...

Think the pressure is too much for Tursunov now that expectations are high?? Very disappointing...

Deboogle!.
02-10-2004, 04:03 AM
well if he's a Stanford grad, that means he was playing at home so I wouldn't read all that much into it.

bmc_1979
02-10-2004, 04:23 AM
A head to head search on www.atptennis.com reveals that Hippensteel easily defeated Tursunov in their only previous meeting, 6-1 6-4. Although this was way back in 1999, it seems the $5 some bookies were offering was very generous!

TheBoiledEgg
02-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Dmitry :mad: :rolleyes: :fiery:

Domino
02-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Dmitry Tursunov is not yet a consistent player, and anyone playing a good match will beat him, and that is what Hippensteel did-play a great match.

Deboogle!.
02-10-2004, 02:42 PM
It was Hippensteel's first ATP tournament ever...

J. Corwin
02-10-2004, 09:58 PM
congrats to KJ

Dmitry will get it together

Tricky_Forehand
02-11-2004, 07:26 AM
It was Hippensteel's first ATP tournament ever...

I have figured it out that the ATP says that to make it seem like a HUGE deal. K.J. is someone who struggles to even qualify for Challengers but he does play on the ATP Tour. I find it funny that Futures & Challengers are part of the ATP BUT there not allowed to count in the big picture.

Truth is that Dmitry should've won this match because K.J. is just too much of a streaky player but Dmitry can also be lazy & not always give 100%. As I saw in Torrance last year.

Dmitry did win the Hawaii Challenger so it's not like he was winless going in.

Sorry if this sounds bitter. Had a bad day :banghead:

Deboogle!.
02-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Well the ATP said that actually, that he'd lost in qualies before and stuff, but this was his first ATP-level win.

He's a Stanford grad... I'll always root for someone who graduated college and is still out there giving it his best. Same with Vahaly, the poor guy.

mad1town
02-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Actually...Challenger and Future events are not part of the ATP....they are run by the USTA...a completely seperate organization.

Tricky_Forehand
02-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Actually...Challenger and Future events are not part of the ATP....they are run by the USTA...a completely seperate organization.

LOL. The USTA only oversees the Futures & Challengers in the States. Futures & Challengers are held ALL over the world NOT just in the States ;) .

Futures & Challengers may not be an "official" part of the ATP tour(what fun would that be if making it to a main draw of a "higher level" tournament held the same prestige? :rolleyes: ) but the points that players earn from those tournaments still count into their ATP entry ranking.

I only brought up because every time that it's mentioned that a player is "in his first ATP event" some people assume that player is a rookie. More often than not, that's a false assumption.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Well in defense of those of us here at MTF, I think most of us we realize you can't magically just enter a tournament that you have to play qualies and challengers, etc.

Tricky_Forehand
02-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Well in defense of those of us here at MTF, I think most of us we realize you can't magically just enter a tournament that you have to play qualies and challengers, etc.

I had figured that but madtown's message reminded me a lot of the view on AOL boards where the only Tennis that exists is American Tennis :rolleyes: .