Tennis Workout? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Workout?

thefan
09-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Besides practicing, what are some good exercise routine that gets you into better shape for tennis?

Thanks

thefan
09-06-2006, 05:01 AM
bump.. :)

dmit424
09-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Jumprope, 4-square jumps on one leg, run a long distance at least twice a week.

I don't know, I never played that much actual tennis (never took lessons or really went to clinics) because I never enjoyed the company of or made friends with anyone at the American tennis clubs... But I did alot of conditioning work (since I ran track anyways) and also rallied once in a while with my friend... And I played some varsity singles on the state high school level for a year, so this should go to prove that being in great shape is as important as being technically sound in tennis.

acharlesmobile
09-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Agassi did a lot of running up hills. If you can snag a copy of Tennis magazine they have a lot of fitness articles. Basically lots of stuff help you with tennis. Dont' do mcuh heavy weights though. Those wil do nothing.

admiralpye
09-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Drills with lots of explosive movement involved. Try plyometrics and lunges. Tennis.com has a good collection of tennis drills and exercises you can do. Push ups or pull ups and planks are great too because it can help strengthen arms and chest for serves and overheads. Don't neglect your abs. You have more stamina if your abs are stronger. Running will target ab strength somewhat. But do lots of sprinting instead of long-distance running. You'll have more use for short, fast bursts of running with lots of starts and stops than marathon running.

Good luck!

thefan
09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
4-square jumps on one leg
Can you explain how you do that?
And thanks tennis.com is a great site, plenty of info.

tomcornishuk
09-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Plyometrics is great for power, keep that up. Also with regards to injury prevention try functional exercises, so that weight sessions involve the use of a swiss ball or wobble board simultaneously.

Check out my new website

www.bromleyosteopaths.co.uk