Breaking Strings [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Breaking Strings

bearingbreaker92
09-04-2006, 02:31 AM
My friend and I have been discussing this topic.

How often do you break strings?

How many strings have you broken in total?

What kind and gauge strings do you use.

Does tension have anything to do with breaking strings?

Fuego Frío
10-13-2006, 05:31 PM
:) lol my racket is being re-strung this very minute. I have broken about 5 sets of strings beofre and here in engliand it is expensive to have them re done. Yes the tension does depend on how often the break. The higher the tension the more often they will snap.

Solat
10-20-2006, 02:47 AM
the rough rule of thumb is how many times you play per week should be the number of times you get it strung per year. Obvious fluctuations according to how you play (spin breaks strings quicker)

tension will affect breakage, as SS said, high tensions tend to snap strings and lower tensions the strings move more so tend to 'wear' and break due to that.

heavier gauge strings break less but also dont feel as good to play with

SaFed2005
11-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I pop my string a bit too often. I waste so much money restringing that Ifinally got a strining machine. Only problem is that I am a lazy bum and after about 5 months of having the maching I haveactually used it once. And since I am a new stringer with no experience the string job I did sucked bigtime.
Anyways answering the question... it all depends on how much I play and the quality of my opposition. If I play someone really good I pop strings maybe after about 10 hours of play on average. It all depends on what kind of string use. SOme string I pop really fast. Now I use the Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Original string. Now this string has lasted me quite a while. It lasts almost 3-4 times longer than other strings for me. The only problem is after playing for about to months with this string I am having some elbow problems becuase this string is too stiff. I never had elbow problems prior to using this string. Looks like I next time I string my rackets I need to hybrid this string with something softer.

JustmeUK
11-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I get between 15-20 hours of play for each set of strings. sometimes I cut them out (generally after a month especially during the summer league season) because I carry 6 rackets and I generally tend to use two of them more than the others. then again I actually have a stringing machine that I do use :).

I use a hybrid gut main and synthetic gut/polyester crosses combination strung at 56lbs mans and 60lbs crosses. gauge tends to be 17.

simpletennis
11-29-2006, 05:04 AM
damn, you guys are like pros. i change my strings whenever they break, which can be very random sometimes, but usually every 6 months. i need to hit more topspin to break my strings more often. they're set at 62 lbs, hurrican pro

gomarray
12-02-2006, 07:27 PM
SaFed, if you play with Big Banger strings, you are supposed to string the racquet about 10% lower tension than with other strings to help with your arm. You can create so much spin with those strings that the lower tension will not cause you to lose control.

My string of choice is Big Banger Alu Power Rough, and if I am hitting with good opponents, I get about 3-4 hours. Synthetic gut lasts under an hour, so I have to use something durable. Pro Blend is probably the most durable, I used it for years, but it has poor playability.

lordmanji
12-06-2006, 11:57 PM
my brother has a prince 03 racket (the black and orange one) and he pops his strings like every month. pretty bad considering he only plays once a wk if even that. the racket is renown to add topspin but due to that theres also more gnawing of the strings. he had a michael chang prince graphite before (still does) and he pops that one maybe once a year if you want to compare.

Tommy@Zhang
12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
a week if I play 2 hours a day 5 days a week.

bearingbreaker92
12-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Wow you guys rip through strings. I play like 3-4 times a week, and i broke my strings after 8 months.

Wow

Sean.J.S.
12-29-2006, 05:49 AM
I play about 3 times a week and I have broken my strings twice after about two years of playing :lol:

Fpure
01-06-2007, 02:48 AM
I break every time I play

In total I broke like ....over a thousand....I just don't know

I'm using prince tournament string, 15 gauge, cause otherwise, with 16 and 17 gauges I break just two much (I'm a topspin player) (and its very cheap, and I like basic nylon feeling)

I think that the higher is the tension, the higher is the pressure on your strings when u hit and the more u will break

++

tennisplayer89
01-07-2007, 06:51 PM
When I was 14 I would break synthetic gut in about 3 hrs. Now I use prince polygut which is probably the longest lasting string and I get maybe 10hrs out of that right now. Does anyone know of a more durable string than polygut that has even moderate playability? Already tried luxilon's big banger break that in a few days.

Fpure
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
tennisplayer89, have u tried Kirschbaum SuperSmash strings??

Its pretty much the more durable strings That I've played so far!

tennisdreams
01-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Anyone else using two different strings at the same time? A few months ago I was breaking strings almost once a month and the man who strings them for me suggested I try two different strings at the same time. One is a completely synthetic Babolat string and the other is a mix of synthetic and natural gut. They might even be two different tensions, which sounded crazy to me, but I tried it and it works amazingly well!:D

tennisplayer89
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Using two different strings can work to great effect. For example, use something like big banger for the mains and some nice gut or synthetic gut for the crosses. Using two different strings improves durability without sacrificing too much in terms of playability. Since the mains, break sooner (usually) you replace them with a more durable string. Usually, it works quite well.