Ben Becker- Brainless Performance [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ben Becker- Brainless Performance

Langers
09-03-2006, 06:48 PM
This is probably the most infuriating performance I have witnessed. Becker is playing Agassi who looks about 50 years old out there, and anyone half decent would have won already. Agassi cannot bend down, his back is in agony, and he is just going for winner after winner. So instead of working Agassi around the court and playing a few drop shots and trying to extend the points, what does Becker do? Try to hit him off the court instead of trying to extend the points for as long as possible.

I can see why he isnít ranked too high, and never will, because he is a dumb player and unless he actually thinks this situation through, he will never amount to anything. He should have destroyed Agassi in straight sets, but due to this pathetic performance he might not even win.

justine&coria
09-03-2006, 06:52 PM
This is probably the most infuriating performance I have witnessed. Becker is playing Agassi who looks about 50 years old out there, and anyone half decent would have won already. Agassi cannot bend down, his back is in agony, and he is just going for winner after winner. So instead of working Agassi around the court and playing a few drop shots and trying to extend the points, what does Becker do? Try to hit him off the court instead of trying to extend the points for as long as possible.

I can see why he isnít ranked too high, and never will, because he is a dumb player and unless he actually thinks this situation through, he will never amount to anything. He should have destroyed Agassi in straight sets, but due to this pathetic performance he might not even win.
Come on, he's playing the most well-known tennis player ever. It's normal he doesn't really know how to deal with that.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 06:52 PM

Cannot agree more with the first part. He was VERY lucky to win the 3rd set.

The second part is off though because Becker has been improving his ranking continually.

crazillo
09-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Cannot agree more with the first part. He was VERY lucky to win the 3rd set.

The second part is off though because Becker has been improving his ranking continually.

Exactly, but don't forget the circumstances.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Exactly, but don't forget the circumstances.
Yes, and if wins this match it's still an achievement.

He shouldn't be hyped for it though, although that will surely happen in Germany.

Langers
09-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Come on, he's playing the most well-known tennis player ever. It's normal he doesn't really know how to deal with that.
Perhaps, but still, itís painfully obvious his opponent is struggling and can barely move, you would think to make him run. All heís doing is hitting the ball harder, itís not about power, itís about placement. Make Agassi run, itís as simple as that.

And you're probably right FedererGrandSlam, but still, I would like to see a smarter game in future and then maybe he could further improve his ranking.

dmit424
09-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Dammit, so Becker is about to start cramping.

If that happens, then great... Two matches in a row, Agassi's opponent starts cramping at a critical moment.

dmit424
09-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Dammit, so Becker is about to start cramping.

If that happens, then great... Two matches in a row, Agassi's opponent starts cramping at a critical moment.

Actually, that was almost wrong for me to say, since Agassi has looked like he's been cramping the entire match.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Braincramps maybe.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
In any case, a bizarre match. :silly:

Eve83
09-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey that guy is just playing his 8th match in on ATP pro level;)

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:05 PM
This is embarrassing.

Langers
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
This is embarrassing.
Becker is tactically inferior. Honestly, this game should be done and dusted.

Seneca
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
What is this? A demonstration of what a best-of-5 sets WTA match would be like?

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:11 PM
He can't put a return in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

dmit424
09-03-2006, 07:13 PM

:D That or what the best-of-5 on the senior tour would look like.

crazillo
09-03-2006, 07:15 PM

:lol: :lol: Great statement!

Oneofakind0490
09-03-2006, 07:15 PM
All Andre has to do is get the ball in the court. THen Becker will hit a stupid error.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
German commentary is a disaster too, not mentioning once that Becker's playing horribly. :rolleyes:

Langers
09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
:D That or what the best-of-5 on the senior tour would look like.
Lets not go there. :lol:

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:17 PM
O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kip
09-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh give the kid a damn break! :lol:

The biggest match of his young career
thus far and he's handling better than
most probably would all things considered.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Someone tell Becker that you need to get the return IN to have a chance of winning a point!!!

This is a trainwreck of a match.

Oneofakind0490
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Like Andre is not even putting much on the serves and hes hitting them 20 feet out. I know hes not trying on the return but I really doubt that he could win a tiebreak.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Oh give the kid a damn break! :lol:

The biggest match of his young career
thus far and he's handling better than
most probably would all things considered.
I can't imagine how you can handle it worse than he does right now. :rolleyes:

rrfnpump
09-03-2006, 07:20 PM
some people here are so :cuckoo:

he is playing his first 3rd round at a slam
against Agassi who will retire... he could be the one to end his career

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:21 PM

Oh, so that's a valid reason for hitting every ball as hard as possible? :lol:

dmit424
09-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, maybe there is a reason many of us have never heard of Benjamin Becker before this match.

LCeh
09-03-2006, 07:24 PM
This is just down right ugly. I have never seen such a lack of effort on opponent's serve. Granted I have only seen the fourth set, so I am sitting here wondering how the hell he broke Agass in the first and third set.

But seriously, he is not even trying on Agassi's serve. I have never seen a more frustrating match than this. :shrug:

EDIT: Is that his strategy all along? Sure picked a right time to start playing some percentage tennis and go for broke at the right time. IMO that's the way he should have played in most of the service games, not sure why he did it in this one.

dmit424
This crowd is just amazing. Becker misses a serve, they cheer. Becker aces, they boo because they think every one of his serves is out.

zicofirol
Becker is so nervous you can see he is just not looking at the ball and when he hits it he is just tight and is overhitting it because of that.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
What the heck - a rally!!!!????

And now 15-40 :lol:

TenHound
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
One game left in AA's career...

dmit424
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Ahahahaha Benjamin had us fooled, he knew what he was doing the whole time. I think he played like a dead man and then easily broke just to tick the crowd off.

Well done :)

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Hahahaha he flukes a break :retard:

Now I'm really sorry for Andre that he didn't lose against Baghdatis because finishing his career with this match is pathetic (not his fault but still!).

Eve83
09-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Donīt get all the fuss either...I hardly doubt that Becker will have any thoughts about how he had won this match.

Seneca
C'mon Benji, play like the god that you are.

And after that, bring on the real tennis.

Langers
But seriously, he is not even trying on Agassi's serve. I have never seen a more frustrating match than this. :shrug:
No doubt, incredibly frustrating. And it's 4am in Australia, I am waiting for Hewitt, and they're showing the Becker/Agaasi match instead. I'm losing the plot. :D

dmit424
09-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow, these jerks are still booieng. After the match...

tangerine_dream
09-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Andre's crying. :bigcry:

dmit424
09-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Andre's crying. :bigcry:

Hey, cmon now.

BAMJ6
Becker robbed us of a passing of a torch match between him and Roddick.

dmit424
My God, the Roddick match won't get started until in about 5 hours probably. I can't imagine how long this goodbye thing is going to take now.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Becker robbed us of a passing of a torch match between him and Roddick.
Come on now ... Andre can barely walk anymore. Why put him through the pain of another match?

dmit424
09-03-2006, 07:36 PM
This is like a funeral.

Regenbogen
09-03-2006, 07:38 PM
This is like a funeral.
:lol: Yes.

Great job Becker, that game where he broke was amazing!!

MisterQ
09-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Somewhat brainless performance... but he played big when it mattered. Congrats Becker! What a wild moment for him to be part of.

BAMJ6
09-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Come on now ... Andre can barely walk anymore. Why put him through the pain of another match?

It's a principle issue, the old legend saying goodbye and the young talented American who thinks of him as an idol. Plus Agassi and Roddick have never met in a Grand Slam

Jagermeister
09-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I think Becker was just playing dead. I mean, the dude was barely making a move for Agassi's serve and all of a sudden he played wins one amazing rally then rattles off 3 brilliant returns.

I'm glad the Agassi thing is done with but it's a bit sad that this was his last match.

Stronger
09-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Man, Becker played a sloppy match. Andre's body just couldn't take it.

Kip
09-03-2006, 07:57 PM
It's a principle issue, the old legend saying goodbye and the young talented American who thinks of him as an idol. Plus Agassi and Roddick have never met in a Grand Slam

This isn't some Hollywood movie script
or fairytale. It's reality, live in it! :cool:

FYI, BB did say Agassi was his idol &
he himself is young and talented. ;)

Great job BB! :cool:

Bye AA, congrats on
a wonderful career. :wavey:

oschemi
09-03-2006, 07:58 PM

Erm.. Becker is german.

Kip
09-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Somewhat brainless performance... but he played big when it mattered. Congrats Becker! What a wild moment for him to be part of.

Yes, did you see how many games on serve he dug
out of 0-40 & 0-30 games. He's definitely got some
tough stuff between the ears.

fabolous
09-03-2006, 08:02 PM
it was obvious that becker was completely overwhelmed by the whole situation, but this is not a reproach to him. it was the first time he played at the third round of a slam, it was the first time he played on such a big court, he was playing a living legend who was announcing his retirement, the whole crowd was against him........all these factors added up to his performance today. i agree, it was not a quality match to watch, but did you really expect such a young and unexperienced player to blow andre off the court? i didn't...

BAMJ6
09-03-2006, 08:09 PM
This isn't some Hollywood movie script
or fairytale. It's reality, live in it! :cool:
:

What are you getting at Kip? I live in reality. I'm not saying AA would win it. I never expected it to come to that. I'm just thinking in terms of the suits. You could imagine how much money and how much exposure was lost because he lost a round too early

Going out to Roddick is OK, but not to the other Becker. At least in Wimbledon he went out to Nadal.

<-TH->
09-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Langers :retard:

Kip
09-03-2006, 08:26 PM
What are you getting at Kip? I live in reality. I'm not saying AA would win it. I never expected it to come to that. I'm just thinking in terms of the suits. You could imagine how much money and how much exposure was lost because he lost a round too early

Going out to Roddick is OK, but not to the other Becker. At least in Wimbledon he went out to Nadal.

Simply saying things don't always go as we'd
like and that uis reality.

And as for Andre losing to BB, their is nothing wrong
with it! This young guy has talent, power, and some grit
as he's shown. Absolutely no shame in it especially for Andre.

As for the "suits" who really cares?
This moment was so far beyond about
money for both players, most of all Andre.

Not to mention, their was/is no garuntee
that Roddick would make it to the 4th rd either.

MurrayFan1
09-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Why is everyone calling Becker young? Isn't he like 24 or 25? Something like 17 or 18 is young for a tennis player haha.

Tennis Fool
09-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Becker will always be known as the guy who sent Andre into retirement.

MurrayFan1
09-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Becker will always be known as the guy who sent Andre into retirement.

He'll pretend to be sorry that Agassi is now retired, but inside he'll be on top of the world haha.

Kip
09-03-2006, 08:46 PM
He'll pretend to be sorry that Agassi is now retired, but inside he'll be on top of the world haha.
lame. :p

shotgun
09-03-2006, 08:47 PM
The irony of things. Becker made Baghdatis look like a gutless kid today.

Kip
09-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Why is everyone calling Becker young? Isn't he like 24 or 25? Something like 17 or 18 is young for a tennis player haha.
JMac keeps saying Roddick is still young and
he's 24 so what's the big deal? ;)

MurrayFan1
09-03-2006, 08:50 PM
lame. :p

Haha.

MurrayFan1
09-03-2006, 08:51 PM
JMac keeps saying Roddick is still young and
he's 24 so what's the big deal? ;)

I just don't see how anybody could consider 24 to be a young age for a tennis player.

liptea
09-03-2006, 08:56 PM
AA and BB. haha.

changer7
09-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Agassi's last match was a painful one to watch. It was tough to see Andre struggling to hustle all around the court and especially when he keeled over after his first serve, that was excruciating. It was unfortunate that Becker started cramping at the very last game of the match. If only he had cramped a game before! In any case, Andre had a wonderful career and he will obviously be missed imensely by the tennis world. If only Becker had lost!!!

MurrayFan1
09-03-2006, 09:09 PM
I think Benjamin Becker is the most unpopular man in america right now.

changer7
09-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Touching up on my last post. I think it will be quite a disappointment to Agassi when he reflects on the last match of his career. Although his opponent's name was Becker, his standard of play does certainly not equal up to the legendary Boris B. It was too unfortunate that Agassi had to end his career against Benjamin Becker . In my opinion Agassi should have at least been seeded and saved for the Sunday NIGHT MATCH. Why showcase Agassi during the DAY of all times? We all know that the night is the real primetime. It was a sad ending for a great player. They definately should have some ceremony for him. Well, that's my rant for now. PZ

MurrayFan1
09-03-2006, 09:13 PM
It'll be interesting to see the atmosphere for the rest of the day bearing the time of his match in mind.

thrust
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
All in all, I think Becker played a courageous match. Sure, he made some bad decisions and had too many UE but he won the points that mattered most. Andre should have quit after defeating Marcos, like his father said. Congrats though to Andre for a great carrer!

Pigpen Stinks
09-03-2006, 09:29 PM
The irony of things. Becker made Baghdatis look like a gutless kid today.

But Shotgun, that was Agassi of old playing Baghdatis on Thursday. Today, it was just an old Agassi. Big difference.

shotgun
09-03-2006, 09:39 PM
But Shotgun, that was Agassi of old playing Baghdatis on Thursday. Today, it was just an old Agassi. Big difference.

True. Though what I meant is that Baghdatis didn't seem to be ready for the occasion (hence the nerves and the cramps in the fifth set), whilst Becker played today as if it was a match like any other.

s.m.
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
bagy-andre was class above this match today
becker did good today, but bagy would have eaten him

Scotso
09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Looked pretty good to me :shrug:

Congrats Benjamin :banana:

Neely
09-04-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't understand what peple like "FedererGrandSlam" expected of Becker in this match? That he will stay super-cool all the time in his first match in front of such an audience when 99.9% of the people want to see him losing, that he will hit every return, that he will perfectly contruct every point to outmaneuver Agassi each point? :shrug:

FedererGrandSlam
09-04-2006, 06:54 PM
... that he will hit every return, that he will perfectly contruct every point to outmaneuver Agassi each point? :shrug:
No, but maybe once a game? :shrug:

Scotso
09-04-2006, 07:57 PM

Yeah, he was so awful! :lol:

I can't believe he lost 0-6 0-6 0-6...

Neely
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, he did that, he had plenty of great winners. IMO he played quite courageous despite this crowd and the situation.