German players are too old when they make a noise these days [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

German players are too old when they make a noise these days

Bilbo
09-03-2006, 04:42 PM
There are some talents, i.e. B. Becker, S. Greul and others. But they are 24+ years old. Unfortunately the German encouragement sucks ass. They have to assist these players earlier and better like they do in Russia etc. Bunch of wasted talents here.

atpSUPERMAN
09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
He's been going to college in America for 4 years and graduated majoring in finance and international business.

sanpo
09-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh dang, i was assuming b. becker was one of the upcoming junior tennis players, but he's already 25 y.o.

He's playing great in the Agassi match by the way, and I'd been wondering how he hasn't won more ATP level matches with the level of play he's showing today. Or maybe he's a late bloomer? :lol:

atpSUPERMAN
09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't think he's been on the tour for long, he's been in American college, he's the college number one.

Deboogle!.
09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Good for him for getting his degree!!!!!!

Clara Bow
09-03-2006, 05:35 PM

And he had a pretty good GPA (3.3) at Baylor. :)

Balerion
09-03-2006, 05:41 PM
There are some talents, i.e. B. Becker, S. Greul and others. But they are 24+ years old. Unfortunately the German encouragement sucks ass. They have to assist these players earlier and better like they do in Russia etc. Bunch of wasted talents here.

Stay calm. Greul probably doesn't have much potential to move much higher in the rankings, but Becker does - he's been consistently rising in the rankings since he started playing futures about one year ago (he wasn't even ranked until last September). If he had been playing challengers and ATPs all this time, he'd have a higher ranking, it just takes some time to move up. He won't be a superstar but I could see him in the top 50.

Also, Germany does have some pretty talented youngsters - look out for Andreas Beck (20) and Mischa Zverev (just turned 19) who will probably be making themselves heard next year. Germany doesn't have the depth and breadth of prospects that some countries do, but there's some promise.

Deboogle!.
09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
And he had a pretty good GPA (3.3) at Baylor. :):yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

delsa
09-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Stay calm. Greul probably doesn't have much potential to move much higher in the rankings, but Becker does - he's been consistently rising in the rankings since he started playing futures about one year ago (he wasn't even ranked until last September). If he had been playing challengers and ATPs all this time, he'd have a higher ranking, it just takes some time to move up. He won't be a superstar but I could see him in the top 50.

Also, Germany does have some pretty talented youngsters - look out for Andreas Beck (20) and Mischa Zverev (just turned 19) who will probably be making themselves heard next year. Germany doesn't have the depth and breadth of prospects that some countries do, but there's some promise.

Thanks for the interesting infos. ;)

MATTHIAS
09-03-2006, 06:51 PM
better late then never

crazillo
09-03-2006, 06:52 PM

With Zverev I am not so sure, but yes I also think that Becker has a chance to move up in the regions of where Mayer is currently.

Balerion
09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
With Zverev I am not so sure, but yes I also think that Becker has a chance to move up in the regions of where Mayer is currently.

I haven't seen Zverev play, so I can't say for sure, but it does seem like he's come on fairly strong in the last 6 months or so. For a bit it looked like he was stalling out on the ITF circuit, but he's had some good results on the Challenger tour. The fact that he was a highly regarded junior combined with some good results lately makes me think that he has a pretty good chance to break on to the tour, but I couldn't tell you how far he has the potential to go.

crazillo
09-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I haven't seen Zverev play, so I can't say for sure, but it does seem like he's come on fairly strong in the last 6 months or so. For a bit it looked like he was stalling out on the ITF circuit, but he's had some good results on the Challenger tour. The fact that he was a highly regarded junior combined with some good results lately makes me think that he has a pretty good chance to break on to the tour, but I couldn't tell you how far he has the potential to go.

Yes, the results have been better lately, but I've heard that this was mostly due to a better fitness which he was lacking before. It's so hard to make the transition from the lower challenger tour to the big events and I think players need - besides other things - luck for this. So it's not predictable at all.
Crucial will be whether he can qualify for bigger events like slams and get used to the real tour; if he gets stucked there then it will be very hard, esp. because he is considered as a weak player mentally. But we'll see. :D

shotgun
09-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't see a big talent like Haas or Kiefer in this generation, but German tennis is not facing a crisis at all, since there are many of them in the top 100.

JMG
09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
We don't even have players in the Junior Slams these days, but good that there's still Zverev.

ae wowww
09-03-2006, 10:42 PM

Right on!!! :D

binkygirl
09-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Haas and Kiefer have been such disappointments.

Besides Becker, Graf, and Stich, Germany has never been known for its great tennis.

JW10S
09-04-2006, 03:26 AM
It's because they come to the US and go to college. The last 3 NCAA Singles Champions have been German.

binkygirl
09-04-2006, 04:08 AM
It's because they come to the US and go to college. The last 3 NCAA Singles Champions have been German.

Good for them. College is a good thing, especially if you get to go for free :)

Neely
09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Many of them do not have the top prospect like some other players in the past. So, because becoming a tennis pro is uncertain, depends upon your health and other factors and doesn't last forever, many of them go the sure way and finish their education/studies properly before they try something else. As far as I know, there is no good way in Germany for a promising German teenager to combine excellent and professional tennis practice with education.

delsa
09-04-2006, 06:46 PM
But at least they make noise! ;)

canbera
09-06-2006, 10:45 AM
it's pretty much what Neely mentioned.

Germany's #3, Bjorn Phau said in the last edition (8) of the Tennis Magazin, that the german system to support players doesn't work well. The federations want you to win national youth championships, which have nothing to say when you play outside of germany. And even if you win one of those, you most likely won't have a chance at International tournaments.