James Blake Against 5 Set Finals [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

James Blake Against 5 Set Finals

lordmanji
09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Funny that the player with the worst 5-set record is chosen to speak for the atp player council. They could've chosen someone w/ perhaps a little less bias on the subject. Btw, there are currently 13 tournaments w/ five set finals (I believe theyre all masters series events?) I don't mind 3 set finals either but the back to back day scheduling and five set finals are another good argument for giving masters wins more weight.

“The players strongly support the move away from best-of-5-sets finals at ATP tournaments,” said James Blake, ATP World No. 5 and a member of the ATP Player Council. “This is one step toward ensuring that the last two players standing at any given tournament aren’t sidelined the next week or even longer.”

Tommy_Vercetti
09-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I know his personal reasons, but I believe that eliminating five sets would make the game much more popular.

Too many people throw away sets or play mediocre for awhile.

I think the odd five set good match is not worth all the neverending hack jobs.

tripb19
09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
LOL @ James Blake. That is seriously amusing.

Beforehand
09-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Meanwhile, Tomas Berdych, ATP Special Advisor, has advised that every tournament be best-of-five sets the whole way through.

sanpo
09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm still all for the 5-set final, but only for those masters event with a minimum of 2 weeks gap (or even one) till the next masters/tier I/ grand slam event.

Johnny Groove
09-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Meanwhile, Tomas Berdych, ATP Special Advisor, has advised that every tournament be best-of-five sets the whole way through.

While Nalbandian, Assistant Endurance Advisor introduces the thought of a best of 7 set match, and Coria believes in the 3 serves-per-point system.

Beforehand
09-03-2006, 06:03 PM
While Nalbandian, Assistant Endurance Advisor introduces the thought of a best of 7 set match, and Coria believes in the 3 serves-per-point system.
:haha:

lordmanji
09-03-2006, 06:16 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

ezekiel
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM

Meanwhile the youth special advisor Novak Djokovic has advised that all sets be played as tie breaks and extra time and care be given when having breathing problems :devil:

Beforehand
09-03-2006, 06:35 PM
We might have to change this thread to "Things players suggest to change the game."

My word. :lol:

maltose
09-03-2006, 08:26 PM

Haha, too funny! Somehow I don't 3 serves is enough for Coria though. :(