Australiasian Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australiasian Tennis

The Pro
09-03-2006, 10:30 AM
I've noticed that tennis players from Australia tend to be white. This is fair enough but it got me wondering if there were any decent tennis players from that part of the world from a the ethnic 'minorities' over there. Like maybe Maori or Fijian.

They seem to excel at AFL and Rugby, so I was curious if people over there knew of any past or present players who might be worth noting. Here and there in the tennis world there are gaps to be filled in. I don't think it's an issue of race equality, but just waiting for someone to come along and fill the gap in the top 20 or so. Like a top Japanese ATP for the present or a top WTA British girl...

CooCooCachoo
09-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Sadik Kadir is hardly white.

Cecil Mamiit and Eric Taino have Filippino origins.

hanabishi
09-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Cecil Mamiit and Eric Taino have Filippino origins.

Both Mamiit and Taino are now actually playing for the Philippines.

bad gambler
09-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Aborigines = indigenous Australians

Maoris = indigenous New Zelanders

scoobs
09-03-2006, 11:23 AM
On the women's side, Evonne Gooligong-Cawley was and is Aborigine.

Doesn't seem to be many around at the moment though

bad gambler
09-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Aborigines' build is more suited to the ball handling sports, that is why the majority of them move into playing aussie rules. They are lean and very naturally gifted and have pace to burn.

In terms of multicultural Australia in general - not really sure. There are those who do play tennis at a junior level but you will find most of the time when they reach an age where they have to make a decision as to "career" path, family pressures are such that they are forced out of a potential career in sport and move into a professional field.

Kristen
09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Don't we have some young asian guy?
This is going to bug me if I don't look into it more. We probably have some, but they, like most of our guys, are likely amateurs.

Kristen
09-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Rameez Junaid is the guy I was thinking of.
David To sounds vaguely familiar..... Probably from a qualifying one time.

Yeah... our players aren't too spectacular.
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/entrysystem/Default.asp?RankDate=8%2F28%2F2006&range=1-50&country=Australia&image1.x=14&image1.y=11

Action Jackson
09-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Nick Lindahl is a Swedish-Indonesian kid.

Xristos
09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Christopher Stoikoudis is a Greek Australian kid.

Experimentee
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Rameez Junaid is of Pakistani origin
Sadik Kadir is of Indonesian origin
Nick Lindahl is half Indonesian as mentioned.
Apart from those, theres no one else good enough to note.

On the womens side, Holly Cao is a talented Aussie junior girl with Chinese parents

Xristos
09-04-2006, 04:11 PM
People are sleeping on Xristos...

Pfloyd
09-04-2006, 04:19 PM
People are sleeping on Xristos...

You may be joking, but you are SO full of yourself...