Racquet size? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Racquet size?

thefan
09-03-2006, 03:27 AM
What is the average tennis size most pro tennis player uses?
Since I am improving on my game everyday, I think it would benefit me greatly if i invested in a good racquet. But still, for me, price needs to be taken into consideration as well.
Also, I would just like to know, how does the size of the head (hitting surface) affect the way the ball travel? Small racquet? Mid-size? Large?

dmit424
09-03-2006, 03:43 AM
What is the average tennis size most pro tennis player uses?
Since I am improving on my game everyday, I think it would benefit me greatly if i invested in a good racquet. But still, for me, price needs to be taken into consideration as well.
Also, I would just like to know, how does the size of the head (hitting surface) affect the way the ball travel? Small racquet? Mid-size? Large?

You sound like you are fairly new to playing tennis, and as such, I wouldn't recommend that you get a racquet that a pro uses. Racquets of pros are, when compared to racquets of amateur, relatively small and heavy. They also have tighter strung strings... All of this means that pro tennis racquets are made to be of "low" power and of "high" control. This is because pros have great form and make unmatched ball contact, meaning that they are able to generate their own pace. If pros used large, loosely strung racquets, they would hit many balls out... Which is why they take out a new racquet every other set or so, because they feel that the strings get too loose and thus begin providing more power than is needed and not enough control.

Anyways...
Bigger head= more power, less control... Ball will travel further than normal. Really really old people at clubs use huge racquets and don't even swing at the ball, but it still goes flying off at about 60mph... But you will never see these same people hit any worthwhile angles.

Smaller head= opposite.

Longer racquet= Similar to "bigger head". You can generate more torque...

I would recommend what they call "tweener" racquets, which is what most decent players (non-pros) use. A tweener is a mix between a pro and one of those huge, loosely-strung racquets... So it gives you the power that you may not have yet developed, but once you do start devoloping it, it still provides nice control. It's a good transition racquet... Some pros actually use these "tweener" racquets nowadays to get more power, with the finesse dissapearing and all.

tennis-warhouse.com has a great selection of racquets. Tweener racquets are usually described as such, and it's not meant to sound stupid lol.

thefan
09-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the reply dmit, and yes I am very fairly new to tennis

I went to tennis-warehouse to look around and every model of racquet seems to have these weird fraction next to them, for example:

Head Metallix 10 OS (1/8)
Head Metallix 10 OS (1/4)
Head Metallix 10 OS (3/8)
Head Metallix 10 OS (1/2)
Head Metallix 10 OS (5/8)

What does the fraction means?

thefan
09-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Anyone?

bearingbreaker92
09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Im pretty sure those are grip sizes. 4 and (fracton)

Pinkskunk
09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Im pretty sure those are grip sizes. 4 and (fracton)

Yes it is the grip size.

this link might help you more a little.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/info/index.jsp?categoryId=222916&backTo=2149544&savePath=2367823.714770.1454904&infoType=infosport#B

Tom J.
09-13-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with Dmit. Here's another useful link:

How To Choose a Tennis Racquet (http://www.howtodothings.com/sports-and-recreation/a3495-how-to-choose-a-tennis-racquet.html)