Popularity of American tennis, ha [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Popularity of American tennis, ha

dmit424
09-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, for the better or worse, my father apparently told someone at work that Agassi was "a national hero" and the response he got was, "Yeah, for Iran."

Now, I am not even going to argue whether he is or isn't a national hero for his father's home nation, but this type of attitude (I assume the guy meant it negatively) towards the most popular player in America cannot be a good sign. And my dad's isn't a job that employs many people with less than 6 years of college education...

thrust
09-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Most American tennis fans do not know or care that Andre^s father was Iranian. The fact is that people can come from ANYWHERE, legally or illegally, and achieve whatever he is capable of. Uneducated people stream accross our sourthern border and make a better life for themselves and families. There is no reason for a normal healthy native born American not to be able to do the same, if they have the desire to do so. The USA is STILL the land of opportunity, for Americans and Immigrants.

dmit424
09-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I agree. My point was that it was very strange for that guy to make a comment like he made instead of realizing what Agassi has been to American tennis... It's a stupid attitude that he had.

NeverSayDie
09-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Hmm... I don't think that there is just a tennis popularity problem in America. Here in England, most people think that tennis pops up once a year at Wimbledon because thats practically the only time it is shown on the main channels. Tennis at school is absolute crap and it costs SO much to be coached properly. Stupid LTA :(

p.s whoever said that about agassi obviously knows nothing about tennis

MarieS
09-02-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't think he's a national hero for Iran, are you kidding me? You can argue if most Americans give a shit or not, but I'm pretty sure IF Iranians had an opinion of him, they'd view him as a traitor.
I can tell you that he's a national hero in Armenia/for Armenians, b/c that's where his dad is actually originally from. Hey we're a small nation, we take what we can get :lol:.

case
09-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, for the better or worse, my father apparently told someone at work that Agassi was "a national hero" and the response he got was, "Yeah, for Iran."

Now, I am not even going to argue whether he is or isn't a national hero for his father's home nation, but this type of attitude (I assume the guy meant it negatively) towards the most popular player in America cannot be a good sign. And my dad's isn't a job that employs many people with less than 6 years of college education...

i thought his father was an armenian who boxed for the iranian olympic team.

Tennis Fool
09-02-2006, 10:55 PM
i thought his father was an armenian who boxed for the iranian olympic team.
There is a sizable Armenian-heritage group of Iranians.

SHB
09-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Agassi is beloved in the United States. He's easily the most popular tennis player (as you said yourself) and is one of the most popular American athletes period, despite the decline in popularity of the sport in general. Hopefully your father's coworker was joking, but if not, he's either clueless or bigoted and in no way representative of the American public as a whole, who almost universally like/love Agassi.

ZAK2012
09-02-2006, 11:08 PM

This isn't indicative of the American view in the least. Most people don't even know Andre's father was is from Iran

NYCtennisfan
09-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Anecdotal.