Is Volkov back to coach Safin? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Volkov back to coach Safin?

Rosa Luxembourg
09-02-2006, 04:59 AM
He was in Safin's player's box during the match. Any more information?

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 05:07 AM
He was in Safin's player's box during the match. Any more information?Officially, he's here supporting Safin through the US Open, and Lundgren's going to be back for the indoor season (or at the very least for a re-evaluation of the relationship). Safin is adamant that he has not split with Lundgren, and that he just needs some time to figure things out. From the end of his last interview, he has some ideas in his head that he needs to talk over with his people to ensure he makes the right decisions, so he can't tell us what those ideas are quite yet. That's the official word from the mouth of the man himself.

ys
09-02-2006, 05:21 AM
He was in Safin's player's box during the match. Any more information?

Yep.. Volkov.. Safin.. US Open.. Rings the bell..:)

ys
09-02-2006, 05:22 AM
From the end of his last interview, he has some ideas in his head that he needs to talk over with his people to ensure he makes the right decisions, so he can't tell us what those ideas are quite yet.

It is OK, as long as "his people" does not include Golovanov.

{Annie}
09-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Read Volkov's interview in Russian Sovetskiy Sport newspaper yesterday..he said he is just helping Marat out as a friend and as a hitting partner for the time being, but he is not his coach. Peter Lundgren remains Safin's coach at present

Action Jackson
09-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Go the big Volkov, but it's only a temporary measure.

TheBoiledEgg
09-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Go the big Volkov, but it's only a temporary measure.

it was also temp in 2000 :angel:

Rosa Luxembourg
09-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Yep.. Volkov.. Safin.. US Open.. Rings the bell..:)

In fact, it did ;)

Action Jackson
09-03-2006, 08:46 AM
it was also temp in 2000 :angel:

Well it's not like Safin hasn't had good coaches already. There isn't such thing as enough Alexandr Volkov.

Kosm
09-04-2006, 07:49 AM
that's from Marat himself about Volkov

"Q. As you try to regain your best form, how much has the coaching played a part in that?MARAT SAFIN: Well, it's very important to have somebody right now in my position to have somebody to push me and give me a little bit of confidence and try to understand me, what's going on in my head not only tennis, but also some other stuff, to be able to support me and also in difficult moments sometimes to speak to me in the match because it's pretty like it's a lot of pressure I'm going through. Also on the matches, especially long ones, you need somebody behind you. You need somebody to be there for you basically. Alex, he knows me pretty well from long time ago, so he's kind of just, in the sense, my situation. We can speak the same language, in the sense, and he understands what's going on. So it makes me really happy.
Q. Have you been feeling more comfortable lately?
MARAT SAFIN: It's the only guy that we can speak about he is one of my closest friends, off the courts also. He knows pretty much about my life. He also can he's a little bit older. He has a lot of experience in life. He understands. He's been a player. He's been a great player. Just more mental part so I can cry on his shoulder basically. He understands. He puts me together. He want me to win, which is great. He's there for me from the beginning till the end.
Q. When did you start that relationship, player/coach relationship? Why did you ultimately choose him?MARAT SAFIN: Well, because I was here for one month and a half. I was getting really not really lonely, but I need some help. I called him because he's the only person that I can that I know him for really let's say '97. He been great to me throughout the years. I just ask him to come and just help me, just to be able to understand me.
He's the one that I'm playing with tennis with him when I'm back in Moscow. He's like a sparring and he understands. He feels me. That's why I took him. I ask him to help, and he flew over. He's here and he helping me, wants to make sure that I'll be winning."