Agassi takes another injection [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi takes another injection

AgassiDomination
09-02-2006, 12:26 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AhDqlipG8srvqE.bPSAyXYQ4v7YF?slug=ap-usopen-agassi&prov=ap&type=lgns

Agassi has another injection ahead of next Open match

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer
September 1, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- As bad as his back has been, Andre Agassi never resorted to taking injections during a tournament. This U.S. Open is hardly any event, though: It's his final one, and Agassi now has received two types of shots to deal with the pain.

Agassi was given an injection of anti-inflammatory medication Friday, his trainer, Gil Reyes, said in a telephone interview. Unlike Tuesday, when Agassi went to a hospital for a cortisone shot, this procedure was done at Agassi's hotel, because his back hurt too much for a car ride.

The eight-time Grand Slam title winner didn't practice at all Friday, the day before his third-round match against German qualifier Benjamin Becker.

Agassi was examined by the U.S. Open's chief medical officer, Brian Hainline, following his theatrical five-set, 3-hour, 48-minute second-round victory over eighth-seeded Marcos Baghdatis, a match that stretched from Thursday night into Friday.

A hobbling Agassi appeared to have trouble swatting autographed balls into the stands when his victory was complete and shifted in his chair as he tried to find a comfortable position during the postmatch news conference. Reyes said the 36-year-old Agassi needed to lie on the ground outside the players' lounge in Arthur Ashe Stadium while waiting to be driven to his hotel.

"Andre's back was stiffening up. Pretty excruciating," Reyes said. "The inflammation was causing tremendous pain and an obvious lack of mobility."

Agassi has dealt with a painful sciatic nerve for some time now; it's why he played only 15 matches in 2006 before the Open.

Reyes estimated Agassi has had eight to 10 cortisone injections over the past four years, including the one after his 3 1/2 -hour first-round victory. There are limits to what are considered safe doses and frequency of such shots, which is why Agassi was given a different medicine Friday by a tournament doctor.

"Believe me, I'll exhaust all possibilities short of taking too many risks for long term," Agassi said. "I do want to make sure I give myself the best look here, but I don't want to compromise the rest of my life."

Each time he steps on court could be Agassi's last match as a pro, and Saturday afternoon he'll face Becker, who's ranked 112th and won the 2004 NCAA singles championship for Baylor University. Benjamin's not related to Boris -- a question he gets everywhere he goes, of course.

Becker, 25, grew up pretending he was Agassi when playing with friends, and he tried to catch a glimpse of the match against Baghdatis, but was shooed into a tunnel because there weren't seats available. Becker did get a sense of what it was like to hear 23,000 fans rooting for Agassi and against his opponent.

"I'm trying to prepare for that, because that's something I've never, never experienced," said Becker, who recalled trying to deal with venomous crowds of about 200 when he was in college.

"That's why I play tennis. That's also why I practiced and everything, to play in the atmosphere like that and in a stadium like that against a guy like that, a guy like Agassi," Becker said. "That's what I been looking forward to since I started playing tennis."

Top-ranked Roger Federer enjoying watching Agassi-Baghdatis, even though he had to be awake and ready for his own 11 a.m. start Friday. Watching on TV while in bed, Federer said he was just about peeking out from under his blankets, nervous for both players.

"Fantastic. Loved it," Federer said. "Back and forth. The cramping. The respect for each other. The way the fans got into it. It was just great. Agassi the winner in the end -- it's a great story."

Federer, who's all of 25, knows what it's like to be part of such a draining match.

"I was tired the next day -- and the day after that," Federer said.

Which is why Agassi's team might be keeping close tabs on the weather: The forecast for Saturday called for a 100 percent chance of rain.

"I would only imagine that any additional rest would be a help," Reyes said.

Agassi's father told ABC News he hopes his son decides to quit before getting on the court again.

"If it's up to me, I won't let him go to play tomorrow," Mike Agassi said. "He hasn't talked to me, (but) that's how I feel about it. I don't think he should play."

Reyes, though, said there hadn't been any consideration of pulling out.

"The hope is obviously that Andre be able to compete and that his body can match his heart," said Reyes, Agassi's trainer for 17 years. "There is no big picture. This is the big picture. He must bring his all and leave his all. Once Andre announced his intention to retire, everything became about getting him here. Now that he's here ... he has no option but to do everything he can to fight to the finish."

LaTenista
09-02-2006, 12:35 AM
:awww: But I'd say he's got less than 5% chance of playing tomorrow anyhow, thanks to Ernesto.

Halba
09-02-2006, 01:26 AM
agassi will prolly play on wednesday. 3 days rest

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Wow. Geez. Well, can't say he's not doing everything he can.:awww: But I'd say he's got less than 5% chance of playing tomorrow anyhow, thanks to Ernesto.Yeah, but then he'd have no days off. And that cannot possibly be good for him.

tennis lover
09-02-2006, 01:41 AM
wow, that sounds really bad! :awww: and like Deb said, if it's this bad after his next match and he wins, I don't see how he'd be able to play 2 days in a row!

tennisforumname
09-02-2006, 01:54 AM
yeah, i don't know which way is better. :( (getting another day of rest now or later.) i guess at this point though, whatever gets him through the immediate next round is the best option, and that seems like the extra day off.

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Agassi taking cortisone injections is starting to seem like taking steroids. Steroids gives a player an unfair advantage by unreasonably augmenting beyond normal means a players ability. Agassi has taken three cortisone injections since the start of the tournament. He and his people have stated that it wouldn't be possible for him to be on the court if not for the injections. Andy Roddick said that cortisone makes you feel like superman. I can name a couple other drugs that do that as well.

What's the difference then between Floyd Landis and Agassi other than the type of drug if it had the same effects? Also, I think the policy to let Agassi have the injections is biased toward injured players and against healthy players such as Mariano Puerta.

atpSUPERMAN
09-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Gil Reyes is cool

atpSUPERMAN
09-02-2006, 02:19 AM
Agassi taking cortisone injections is starting to seem like taking steroids. Steroids gives a player an unfair advantage by unreasonably augmenting beyond normal means a players ability. Agassi has taken three cortisone injections since the start of the tournament. He and his people have stated that it wouldn't be possible for him to be on the court if not for the injections. Andy Roddick said that cortisone makes you feel like superman. I can name a couple other drugs that do that as well.

What's the difference then between Floyd Landis and Agassi other than the type of drug if it had the same effects? Also, I think the policy to let Agassi have the injections is biased toward injured players and against healthy players such as Mariano Puerta.

Reyes estimated Agassi has had eight to 10 cortisone injections over the past four years, including the one after his 3 1/2 -hour first-round victory. There are limits to what are considered safe doses and frequency of such shots, which is why Agassi was given a different medicine Friday by a tournament doctor.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 02:25 AM

What's the difference then between Floyd Landis and Agassi other than the type of drug if it had the same effects? Also, I think the policy to let Agassi have the injections is biased toward injured players and against healthy players such as Mariano Puerta.Ummmmmm...... Andre got permission. That's the difference. He's not using steroids as performance enhancing drugs, he's getting injections to be able to play. Players who have asthma are allowed to use inhalers, if they get permission and do all the right things. Surely you can see the difference?

atpSUPERMAN
09-02-2006, 02:30 AM
Agassi only feels pain after the match. If he starts the match in no pain then he doesn't feel pain during the match at all. Its when he cools down after thats the problem.

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 02:35 AM
(As an aside, it seems that if his body starts betraying him in the middle of a match, Andre's probably going to stay on court till the bitter end, even if he has to serve underarm and let some balls go unreturned.)Given the first-round loss at the French last year, I would agree, that seems to be his MO.

Deboogle!.
Agassi only feels pain after the match. If he starts the match in no pain then he doesn't feel pain during the match at all. Its when he cools down after thats the problem.That's not true, remember that match at RG against Nieminen? It was extremely sad, and J'torian, what he did in that match leads me to believe you're spot on that he'd finish.

atheneglaukopis
That's not true, remember that match at RG against Nieminen? It was extremely sad, and J'torian, what he did in that match leads me to believe you're spot on that he'd finish.Great minds. :)

TMJordan
09-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Andre is fine when he is on the court.

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 02:36 AM
First of all, the article seems to say that he took a different injection, not another cortisone injection.Ssshh, you're not allowed to read the article before commenting on it. That's cheating.

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 02:40 AM
:lol: Oh, you two! :bowdown:

But seriously, thanks for reminding me of that match. :sad:Hey, Deb and I make up a serious percentage of MTF brainpower. :cool: You too. :)

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 02:52 AM
NY Times article with some more specifics, etc.
===================
Agassi’s Five-Set Match Has Painful Repercussions
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY

Play resumed yesterday at the United States Open, with the fresh memory of Andre Agassi’s five-set, late-night victory over Marcos Baghdatis still sparking conversation as the forehands and backhands whistled over the nets.

But while spectators and players shook their heads and searched for superlatives, Agassi was nowhere to be seen at Flushing Meadows.

“I think he appreciates how great the match was, but he is also in a lot of pain,” his manager and close friend, Perry Rogers, said.

According to Rogers, Agassi was far too sore and stiff to practice after his 3-hour-48-minute second-round thriller that started Thursday evening and ended well after midnight.

Instead, Rogers said, Agassi spent the day resting, most of it in a horizontal position. He was administered an anti-inflammatory injection in the afternoon to deal with the back pain, which made it impossible for him to make it to the exit of the Billie King National Tennis Center from the locker room without slumping to the sidewalk and lying on his back for a three-minute rest.

“It was awful,” Rogers said. “It was so bad that he had to lie down in the back of the car.”

Brad Gilbert, Agassi’s former coach, said, “Maybe he was just looking at the stars.’’

Agassi should have ample time for stargazing and other recreational activities after he finishes this tournament, which he has announced will be the last of his 21-year career. But for now, his focus is firmly on trying to prepare his 36-year-old body for his third-round match against the qualifier Benjamin Becker of Germany.

“Believe me, I’ll exhaust all possibilities short of taking too many risks for long term,” Agassi said after beating Baghdatis. “I do want to make sure I give myself the best look here, but I don’t want to compromise the rest of my life.”

Rogers and Gilbert said they were convinced that Agassi would be able to play his next match, scheduled for this afternoon.

“I’m a thousand percent certain,” Gilbert said. “He’s going to find a way to make it to the finish line, and to get there with a win.”

Agassi has had at least six cortisone injections in his lower back in the past two seasons. According to Rogers, Agassi has had three this season: one in March, one in July after Wimbledon and the latest one Tuesday after his first-round victory over Andrei Pavel.

“We don’t worry about the long term, because the doctors say this all the time that it won’t have any long-term effects,” Rogers said. “You want him to leave every ounce of himself out on the court.”

Dr. Robert Gotlin, the director of orthopedics and sports rehabilitation at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York, said: “The misconception people have is that in getting a cortisone shot, you are limited for life.”

He added, “Typically, you can get three of those every six months and certainly be in the window of safety for an average person.”

Agassi has now had three cortisone injections within that window, and although it is unlikely, he could still decide to risk one more during this tournament if he continues to advance.

“Typically, you want to wait five to six days before the second one,” Gotlin said. “Typically, these injections kick in the first or second day and peak out the third and fourth day. The problem is the next couple days after that is when you’re typically in a low point.”

Agassi is scheduled to play today, but the forecast is for heavy rain, which is expected to move the match to tomorrow, or even Monday if rain continues to rewrite the schedule.

“He’s a lucky man,” Baghdatis’s manager, Patrick Mouratoglou, said. “He was in tough shape after the match and now it looks like he might get more time to recover.”

Gilbert is not so certain a delay will be beneficial: if the match against Becker is moved to tomorrow and Agassi were to win, he would have to play again Monday.

“What he wants to avoid are back-to-back matches,” Gilbert said.

As surprising as it is that Agassi has managed to reach the third round despite a bad back, a bad season and a bad draw, it is nearly as surprising that Becker is there with him. His name and home country sound familiar, but his ranking of 112, his smallish physique and his understated demeanor bear little resemblance to the Becker who was once among Agassi’s major rivals.

Benjamin Becker, no relation to Boris, was ranked outside the top 1,000 a year ago and was losing early in satellite tournaments. But with the help of Andy Roddick’s former coach, Tarik Benhabiles, he has made a big move at an age when most players have already made theirs. Becker, 25, played tennis at Baylor University in Waco, Tex., and now splits his training time between Waco and Miami.

“It’s a dream come true,” Becker said of facing Agassi in what could be his final match. “I was watching the match and obviously I was kind of hoping he would win, because it’s the last time you get a chance to play him. I grew up watching him play. He was an idol for me.”

Agassi was also a reference point for Baghdatis, the 21-year-old Cypriot who pushed Agassi to the limit, rallying from a two-set deficit and might have finished off the comeback if he had not started suffering from severe leg cramps at 4-4 in the fifth set.

Baghdatis said he had never cramped before in a match.

“It wasn’t because of the physical thing, it was more because of all the emotion,” he said.

The emotion was still hard to shake after the match, too, and Mouratoglou said Baghdatis and his support group of coaches and friends walked through the streets of Manhattan near Times Square, rehashing the match and its implications, until 4:30 a.m.

“It felt like a final,” Baghdatis’s coach, Guillaume Peyre, said.

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Again with the facts, Deb, thanks. :yeah:
Baghdatis said he had never cramped before in a match.:scratch: One of us has a faulty memory of the AO final. Could be mine.

Edit: Nope. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=67404&page=24&pp=15)

Merton
09-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the article Deb :hug:

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Ummmmmm...... Andre got permission. That's the difference. He's not using steroids as performance enhancing drugs, he's getting injections to be able to play. Players who have asthma are allowed to use inhalers, if they get permission and do all the right things. Surely you can see the difference?

I would argue that asthma is a different condition than what andre has which is basically old age. andre is trying to reverse the most natural of processes having had a full career and extending it beyond unnatural means. a player with asthma takes medicine IN ORDER to have a career.

floyd landis had a bad hip and was behind. imagine if he had a cortisone injection instead of steroids between stages and came back and won it w/ cortisone's help. you tell me what's the difference?

imagine if other players like sampras and chang artificially extended their careers. no, they knew their bodies were tired and couldnt keep up w/ the pace of playing on the tour and quit. i know how thrilling it is to see agassi play but there is a time to let go and agassi is cheating other players on tour - his opponents, those w/o the means to get a shot - to extend his own quest for glory in a 9th grand slam title.

BlakeorHenman
09-02-2006, 03:28 AM
I would argue that asthma is a different condition than what andre has which is basically old age. andre is trying to reverse the most natural of processes having had a full career and extending it beyond unnatural means. a player with asthma takes medicine IN ORDER to have a career.

floyd landis had a bad hip and was behind. imagine if he had a cortisone injection instead of steroids between stages and came back and won it w/ cortisone's help. you tell me what's the difference?

imagine if other players like sampras and chang artificially extended their careers. no, they knew their bodies were tired and couldnt keep up w/ the pace of playing on the tour and quit. i know how thrilling it is to see agassi play but there is a time to let go and agassi is cheating other players on tour - his opponents, those w/o the means to get a shot - to extend his own quest for glory in a 9th grand slam title.

Oh yeah... he's soooooooooo selfish. This post is ridiculous.

Pigpen Stinks
09-02-2006, 03:29 AM
He's defying the odds, and his play has been nothing less than spectacular. Never expected that he could approach this level given his lack of match play. Maybe the Gods will intercede and allow two days between matches due to weather conditions for the rest of the tournament. Alas, unlikely, and unlikely that Andre's body can withstand regardless of the cortisone and other injections. It's too bad, because it would have been neat to see how far he could have gone if his body had been able to hold up for two final weeks.

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Oh yeah... he's soooooooooo selfish. This post is ridiculous.This post is straight out of Ayn Rand, especially that last line.

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 04:09 AM
He's defying the odds, and his play has been nothing less than spectacular. Never expected that he could approach this level given his lack of match play. Maybe the Gods will intercede and allow two days between matches due to weather conditions for the rest of the tournament. Alas, unlikely, and unlikely that Andre's body can withstand regardless of the cortisone and other injections. It's too bad, because it would have been neat to see how far he could have gone if his body had been able to hold up for two final weeks.

In what case can a 36 year old outlast a 21 year old? When the 36 year old takes cortisone injections. Perhaps Baghdatis could have been given some prematch. Anyone object?

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 04:21 AM
Anyone object?Yes, I do, but it's not worth taking the time to even try explaining it to you.

Experimentee
09-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Andre :sad:
I hope for him to at least get a satisfactory result at this Open, so that he can look back and think playing through all the pain was worth it.

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Yes, I do, but it's not worth taking the time to even try explaining it to you.

Won't or can't?

Experimentee
09-02-2006, 04:33 AM
In what case can a 36 year old outlast a 21 year old? When the 36 year old takes cortisone injections. Perhaps Baghdatis could have been given some prematch. Anyone object?

This is idiotic :rolleyes:

Andre is taking the shots as treatment for his injury. Unless you object to any player getting any treatment for injury, then your point is worthless.

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 04:37 AM
This is idiotic :rolleyes:

Andre is taking the shots as treatment for his injury. Unless you object to any player getting any treatment for injury, then your point is worthless.

And my point is since when did old age become an injury?

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 04:37 AM
Won't or can't?Won't. You're obviously convinced, and aren't really open to seeing it any other way, so why should we even bother trying?

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 04:38 AM
And my point is since when did old age become an injury?An inflamed sciatic nerve is an injury, period.

Experimentee
09-02-2006, 04:40 AM

Andre has a back injury. It isnt old age. Unless you can cite examples of people normally being in pain and not able to walk properly once they hit 35 :rolleyes:

Anyway Deb is right, its pointless to argue with someone whose mind is obviously set.

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 04:43 AM
Won't. You're obviously convinced, and aren't really open to seeing it any other way, so why should we even bother trying?

How bout we try not being cynical and dismissive here? I took time and stated my point in response to yours. All I here from your end now is personal attacks :confused: Perhaps because you know I'm right?

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 04:46 AM
How bout we try not being cynical and dismissive here? I took time and stated my point in response to yours. All I here from your end now is personal attacks :confused: Perhaps because you know I'm right?Where did I attack you? :shrug:

You're not right, it's just not worth the time, I had a long week and I'm tired and I don't want to waste my last bit of energy explaining something to someone who's closed-minded about this. And sorry, I think you're the one who's being cynical.

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 04:49 AM
Andre has a back injury. It isnt old age. Unless you can cite examples of people normally being in pain and not able to walk properly once they hit 35 :rolleyes:

Anyway Deb is right, its pointless to argue with someone whose mind is obviously set.

A back injury that's lasted an entire year? It may be a back injury but its lasted too long to be only that. Most 35 yr olds are able to walk properly but Agassi has punished himself for twenty years on the tennis courts at the top. He is not what I call your average 35 yr old. Tennis players get injured w/ foot, ankle, wrist, back, elbow, pushing their bodies til it bends then breaks. So yes, u want example pick any pro tennis player who's retired.

Btw, he's 36. ;)

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 04:51 AM
An inflamed sciatic nerve is an injury, period.

inflamed sciatic nerve, back pain that's lasted a year, fatigue - sounds like old age to me.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 04:52 AM
A back injury that's lasted an entire year? It may be a back injury but its lasted too long to be only that. Most 35 yr olds are able to walk properly but Agassi has punished himself for twenty years on the tennis courts at the top. He is not what I call your average 35 yr old. Tennis players get injured w/ foot, ankle, wrist, back, elbow, pushing their bodies til it bends then breaks. So yes, u want example pick any pro tennis player who's retired.

Btw, he's 36. ;)You've obviously never met anyone with nerve/disc problems in their back, have you? My mom had bulging discs and has had cortisone shots (and surgery, mind you) just like andre and it debilitated her so much that she needs a handicapped tag for her car and is numb in some of her fingers and toes. It doesn't go away, it lasts forever, but it is an injury. Andre is lucky he doesn't have permanent nerve damage like my mom, otherwise there's no way in hell he'd be able to play at all. So please, stop talking about stuff you clearly know nothing about.

So forgive me if I get a little touchy with someone who is comparing what Andre's going through to people who are illegally trying to enhance their performance through steroids.

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 05:08 AM

Btw, he's 36. ;)
Yes, he's 36, but he's had the back injury for (at least) a year, hence 36 - 1 = 35.

Furthermore, an injury that is aggravated by playing through it is an injury, regardless of the age of the player. Other, much younger players have done it and have ended up having injuries that lasted more than a year. For example, Haas playing through his shoulder injury and having to sit out 16 months, and Safin playing through a knee injury that will probably never totally heal now. Both of them were ~25 years old at the time.

Therefore, I do not buy the argument that when Agassi has played through a back injury and never allowed it to heal, it's not simply a back injury any more because it's lasted more than a year, but it must be old age. Unless you want to claim that 25 is now old age too.

You can argue about the advisability of what he's doing to his body, but he's being treated for an injury, not old age.

Kalliopeia
09-02-2006, 05:14 AM

He's 36, not 96. He has a specific chronic injury that is not an inevitable consequence of age.

lordmanji
09-02-2006, 05:33 AM
You've obviously never met anyone with nerve/disc problems in their back, have you? My mom had bulging discs and has had cortisone shots (and surgery, mind you) just like andre and it debilitated her so much that she needs a handicapped tag for her car and is numb in some of her fingers and toes. It doesn't go away, it lasts forever, but it is an injury. Andre is lucky he doesn't have permanent nerve damage like my mom, otherwise there's no way in hell he'd be able to play at all. So please, stop talking about stuff you clearly know nothing about.

So forgive me if I get a little touchy with someone who is comparing what Andre's going through to people who are illegally trying to enhance their performance through steroids.

Oic. Thanks for enlightening me on what a cortisone shot actually does and treats. I suppose I took ARod's choice of words too literally when he referred to it as "making you feel like Superman."

I didn't mean to touch a sciatic nerve :devil:

atheneglaukopis
09-02-2006, 05:58 AM
I suppose I took ARod's choice of words too literally when he referred to it as "making you feel like Superman."I can see where he's coming from. I don't even have any physical problems worth mentioning (thankfully), and I have observed more than once that I have experienced no better feeling than relief from menstrual cramps. If mere aspirin can make me feel that good, I can easily see how a stronger painkiller such as cortisone can make him feel like Superman.

case
09-02-2006, 06:25 AM
really all this talk about his "injury". i have sciatica from braking my pelvis in a car accident. i was told it tends to disappear all by itself after a while, it has lessened, but i dont whine. i am sick of hearing about him and all his troubles. talk about whiney and self serving he really takes the cake.

If it hurts him so much why doesn't he just quit? i have a feeling he is using this as an excuse to get drugs. reminds me of lance armstrong-didn't do great until he got cancer and then he got a "miracle" . Of course he was allowed his medications. i'm sure many cancer survivors wish they would have improved after getting cancer.

How naive are you people? a 36 year guy who claims he is almost a cripple without drugs beating a healthy 21 in 5 sets? far fetched isnt the word.
look at the bottom paragraph for treatment gee do i see the word steroid there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica

ugotlobbed
09-02-2006, 06:40 AM
andre is nuts hope he at least gets to play roddick

Allez
09-02-2006, 07:21 AM
really all this talk about his "injury". i have sciatica from braking my pelvis in a car accident. i was told it tends to disappear all by itself after a while, it has lessened, but i dont whine. i am sick of hearing about him and all his troubles. talk about whiney and self serving he really takes the cake.

If it hurts him so much why doesn't he just quit? i have a feeling he is using this as an excuse to get drugs. reminds me of lance armstrong-didn't do great until he got cancer and then he got a "miracle" . Of course he was allowed his medications. i'm sure many cancer survivors wish they would have improved after getting cancer.

How naive are you people? a 36 year guy who claims he is almost a cripple without drugs beating a healthy 21 in 5 sets? far fetched isnt the word.

Stupid. Andre is not just any 36 year old and Baghdatis has hardly had a super hard court season post Wimbledon. How many 20 something year olds did Jimmy Connors beat in his still talked about great semi final run at the age of 39 years ago ? I don't personally know, but I'm sure he wasn't playing against other 39 year olds. On the women's circuit a 50 year Navratilova is still beating teenagers in doubles and would undoubtedly still win a few matches in singles. Bjorkman reached the semis at Wimbledon. Do you think all the players he played to get there were over 30 too ? Stop talking rubbish :rolleyes:

Do you think it is fun taking those injections ? And lordwhateverthehellyoucallyourself do you think perfectly healthy players would want to take the shot ? Stupid. It's like saying that a person taking medication for flu is having an unfair advantage and that players without flu should receive the same medication as well...just so everyone's equal. Why would you want to receive treatment unless you absolutely have to ? Don't compare what Andre's doing to what people like Puerta and Canas have done. The two scenarios are worlds apart. :rolleyes:

RonE
09-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Andre is fucked! :sad:

dylan24
09-02-2006, 08:02 AM
take all the shots and drugs you need agassi.
its your last tournament
might as well do what you have to do to be pain free

sk8ten
09-02-2006, 01:49 PM
There's a big difference between steroids, such as, cortisone and steroidal drugs used for performance enhancing, such as what Floyd Landis was accused of taking. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory, therefore used to reduce swelling, as in the case of severe tendinitis, bulging discs, etc. Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Motrins etc. are all types of anti-inflammatory drugs used for fair to mild cases of inflammation. Cortisone is usually used in more severe cases, when drugs like the previously mentioned do not have much effect to relieve pain. Analbolic steroids used in performance enhancing, are just that, used to build muscle faster and recover faster.

If you are in severe pain and you take something that relieves it, it might make you feel like 'superman' or a million bucks etc. Not necessarily like superman - high as a kite - drug induced euphoria.

I'm a fan of Agassi and enjoyed watching him, will miss him when he retires. But I don't think it's worth the risk to his body to continue like this. But, I'm also not an athlete. I have friends who are athletes who play with fractures, bad sciatica, etc. they can barely walk when off a football field, but when in a game adrenalin takes over and they keep on going. My friends aren't even pro athletes and they take the risk. I personally just wouldn't do it.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Oic. Thanks for enlightening me on what a cortisone shot actually does and treats. I suppose I took ARod's choice of words too literally when he referred to it as "making you feel like Superman."

I didn't mean to touch a sciatic nerve :devil:Andy (who btw specifically said he was only going on what he had heard having never had a cortisone shot himself) meant, I think, that it makes you not feel your injury for a while. So I think you did misinterpret what Andy meant.

I mean if you look at Andre, his actual fitness is fantastic. He's 36 and I don't remember the last time he has actually looked physically tired (ok, the USO final last year I suppose, but look at all the tennis he'd played).

Glad we could reach an understanding. :)

its.like.that
09-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Some fantastic articles from some of the world's finest media. :worship:

But why the sudden hype about Agassi taking injections? :shrug:

He's been doing it for years. :confused:

Neverstopfightin
09-02-2006, 02:58 PM
I mean if you look at Andre, his actual fitness is fantastic. He's 36 and I don't remember the last time he has actually looked physically tired (ok, the USO final last year I suppose, but look at all the tennis he'd played).

I would say against Nadal at Wimbledon in the third set he looked physically destroyed and even with loss of concentration and attention staying stopped when Rafa served and hit ace after ace with an unsual ease.

The mental image I have of that match is wacthing Andre sitting down on a linesman chair in the third set waiting for Rafa to serve after a little break in that hot day.

His body language was horrible that day .

Pea
09-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Some fantastic articles from some of the world's finest media. :worship:

But why the sudden hype about Agassi taking injections? :shrug:

He's been doing it for years. :confused:

I'd actually like to know when he started taking these injections?

rod99
09-02-2006, 03:44 PM
he's had this nerve problem for 4 years, not 1 year.

case,
you're an idiot.

case
09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
he's had this nerve problem for 4 years, not 1 year.

case,
you're an idiot.
:haha: thanks for the compliment! i just love how so many people think that a difference of opinion means that the other an IDIOT!

Again, im not the one playing professional tennis with what you call a four year nerve problem. if its that bad for his nerve problem to have worsened in four years agassi is the "idiot" one here. He should quit.

he is going out losing-not on top. others talk about he is not playing or moving like he use to. this is how agassi will be remembered. even connors said that agassi should have quit on top.

i use to be a fan of his, but this is rediculous. if the problem is this bad to need so much drugs what message is that sending? go ahead trash your body and use any drug so you can play. sorry, i cant cheer that on.

Kalliopeia
09-02-2006, 05:57 PM
:haha: thanks for the compliment! i just love how so many people think that a difference of opinion means that the other an IDIOT!

Again, im not the one playing professional tennis with what you call a four year nerve problem. if its that bad for his nerve problem to have worsened in four years agassi is the "idiot" one here. He should quit.

he is going out losing-not on top. others talk about he is not playing or moving like he use to. this is how agassi will be remembered. even connors said that agassi should have quit on top.

i use to be a fan of his, but this is rediculous. if the problem is this bad to need so much drugs what message is that sending? go ahead trash your body and use any drug so you can play. sorry, i cant cheer that on.

1) He is quitting. That's what retirement means. He is fully aware that his body can't take it anymore, even though he still has the game to beat damn near anyone out there.

2) He beat a top ten player two days ago, someone almost everyone thought he'd go out against. Even if he loses in straight sets in his next match, he will be remembered for his near-miraculous wins this week. If he wins, he'll probably run into Andy Roddick. I doubt very much he will be remembered poorly for losing to him. And if he beats him, chances are good that he'll meet Rafael Nadal. Who, last I checked, was number 2 in the world. Yeah, what a loser if he loses to that guy! At this point there is nothing that Andre can do that will tarnish his memory.

3) His doctors are telling him that so far he isn't risking any permanent damage with the shots. He himself has stated that he isn't going to risk compromising the rest of his life.

Agassi Aces
09-02-2006, 06:01 PM
1. Hopefully Agassi will play around 6-7pm tonight US Time. If he can win in straights he has tomorrow off and will be scheduled for Monday's night session. If he can get through that one against maybe Roddick, and the Quarter Final on the Wednesday he would have two days off until Super Semi Finals on the Saturday. I Believe Agassi needs to play Becker tonight though. He can't play Becker and Roddick back to back.

2. Secondly, the hype about the injections concerns the fact he has never had one in a tournament before. They have always come a few weeks before an event, never during one. Good luck Andre!

madmanfool
09-02-2006, 07:30 PM

ok, let me just comment on this a little bit, because this is just :eek:

first of all i very much doubt that Landis would have won the tour by taking cortisone between stages. regularly use of cortisone causes a decrease in muscles.
When you take cortisone the sugar in your blood increases, that's why you feel energetic. It helps on your brain as well, you feel euphoric. So you can understand why Roddick says "you feel like superman"
The reason why Agassi took a few days ago is because of it's anti-inflammatory working. He did with the approval of the ATP, he didn't do it in secret at all, everyone knows. He didn't cheat.
Nobody takes a cortisone shot for fun.

If Landis took cortisone (the idea alone :rolleyes: ) he would feel energetic, but when his tank is empty, it's empty. He can't go beyond because he took cortisone.

The reason Agassi is still playing, is for the kick of playing before more then 20,000 trilled fans who all come for him, you got any idea what that must be like? Sampras didn't stop because he was tired of that, not in the least, but he was tired of the work required to get there.

Deboogle!.
09-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Well Andre will get his extra day off - he's been moved to Sunday at 11am.

meumar
09-02-2006, 11:34 PM

Agassi is certainly not the only athlete to take cortisone shots -- far from it. It is extremely common in gymnastics for example. If cortisone shots do improve performance beyond blocking the pain and debilitation of injury, then I'd think that healthy athletes would be getting them.... The practice of athletes taking cortisone shots is not controversial - except maybe on this board..