Slammin' At the Siebel Open to take first title of 2004!!!!! [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Slammin' At the Siebel Open to take first title of 2004!!!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

tangerine_dream
02-14-2004, 04:18 AM
Boy, the AP posts match pics pretty fast! :banana:

tangerine_dream
02-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Mandy was signing autographs during Andy's match last night, too. :D

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 04:20 AM
yep they were fast tonight. Even CBS posted the HQ ones up fast and I got them up on the site :)

Mandy was at Andy's Wednesday night match - 1st round v Rochus. Maybe she has been at the others too but no pics.

Havok
02-14-2004, 04:20 AM
My friend's plans changed..... no party at his apt.... no TTC for Debra :fiery: :bigcry:
awww:hug:

tangerine_dream
02-14-2004, 04:22 AM
Ribbitt :p

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040214/lthumb.sja10102140248.siebel_open_sja101.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 04:23 AM
awww:hug:

V Monologues or Andy's semifinal..... which would you choose???? :o

MisterQ
02-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Andre won the first set against JMG, 7-6(4). :)

MisterQ
02-14-2004, 04:25 AM
V Monologues or Andy's semifinal..... which would you choose???? :o

ummm....,

won't go there! :lol:

tangerine_dream
02-14-2004, 04:26 AM
Andre won the first set against JMG, 7-6(4). :)

Why is Andre struggling? This should be a double bagel for him. :eek:

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 04:27 AM
ummm....,

won't go there! :lol:

yea...... exactly!!!!

lol tangy.. first Andre clearly hasn't been playing his best tennis this week, second JMG HAS been playing well...

MisterQ
02-14-2004, 04:28 AM
Why is Andre struggling? This should be a double bagel for him. :eek:

My guess ---- he's playing too conservatively and not pounding his returns enough.

I'm glad he won the set, though, regardless of the score!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 04:30 AM
talk to you guys later, it's $2 Valentine's Day night at the pub :drink:

GO ANDRE AND MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MisterQ
02-14-2004, 04:31 AM
See ya later, LUSH! ;) :drink:

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 04:33 AM
oh hush you I've never been drunk!

Havok
02-14-2004, 04:39 AM
Andre has been staying out there on the court longer than he should be. dunno maybe his opponents are stepping it up and challenging him:shrug: but this doesn't fly well for Andre if he faces Andy in the finals;)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 05:24 AM
good job Andre, at least he made it out in straights.

now GO MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 05:37 AM
Andy's match is at 2pm tomorrow, local time (5pm eastern).

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 06:27 AM
these are teeny thumbnails but funny nonetheless:

http://images1.wireimage.com/images/thumbnail/2237278.jpg http://images1.wireimage.com/images/thumbnail/2237279.jpg

the caption: Andy Roddick squats in disbelief after an out call during his quarterfinal match with Joachim Johansson. :lol:

star
02-14-2004, 01:56 PM
oh hush you I've never been drunk!

Never been drunk!!!

Well, it's high time you did it. :)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 03:41 PM
ha ha ha

I'm too much of a control freak. ESPECIALLY over myself!!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Roddick, Agassi Stay on Course for San Jose Showdown
By Matthew Cronin

SAN JOSE, California (Reuters) - Top seeds Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi continued their march toward an anticipated final when they both posted impressive victories in the quarter-finals of the San Jose Open Friday.

Roddick advanced to the semi-finals with a 6-3, 7-6 victory over Sweden's Joachim Johansson, while Agassi again had another tussle before overcoming compatriot Jan-Michael Gambill 7-6, 7-5.

It is the first time since 1995 that four Americans have reached the semi-finals.

Roddick will play wild-card entry Robert Kendrick, who upended Frenchman Cyril Saulnier 7-6, 4-6, 6-3. Agassi faces third seed Mardy Fish, who beat Lee Hyung-taik of South Korea 6-2, 6-3.

Roddick blasted 27 aces and only served one double fault compared to 14 aces and three double faults for fellow 21-year-old Johansson, his former junior doubles partner. The American also knocked in 72 percent of his first serves.

"It works," said Roddick, whose 27 aces were a personal best in a three-set match. "I've been feeling good rhythm on my serve. I'm getting the kind of action I want. The biggest difference is placement."

Roddick and the tall, agile Swede both cranked huge serves and big forehands all evening, with points rarely extending beyond a few strokes.

The American looked unbreakable after the first set, but Johansson stood strong in the second and forced him into a tiebreak.

After twisting in a big service winner to lead 6-4 in the tiebreak, Roddick held two match points, but the Swede banged back a huge service and won a long rally with a sliced backhand winner to the mid-court area.

Johansson then whipped a forehand winner to even things at 6-6 and served an ace to give him set point at 7-6.

ACES GALORE

Roddick then boomed another ace and Johansson erred on two straight forehands to hand Roddick the match.

The world's fastest server, Roddick has hit 52 aces in three matches. He is confident in his ability to hold serve, but will not put himself in the same category as all-time great Pete Sampras.

"I'm definitely not Sampras," he said. "One of Pete's biggest things was his insane confidence in himself and rightfully so, but that's not a level I've gotten to."

star
02-14-2004, 04:05 PM
ha ha ha

I'm too much of a control freak. ESPECIALLY over myself!!

Step through your fear. :)

Anyway, it's a mistake to think that you will do something very out of character if you are drunk. People who claim they do are only looking for an excuse to do something they wanted to do, but couldn't justify sober.

star
02-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Oh! I liked the sound of this! "the tall, agile Swede"

And a sliced backhand winner to mid court. interesting.

I can't wait to see him at IW.

Sounds like Andy was serving very well. I hope he goes on to win the tournament.

And GO FISH. ;)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 04:09 PM
lol!!! I'll keep that in mind ;) I wasn't going to get drunk at the pub last night anyway. I don't drink beer and the only girly stuff they have is like Smirnoff Ice and stuff and I'd have to have about 4 of them I think to get drunk and I'm too cheap LOL!!

star
02-14-2004, 06:32 PM
The pub?

The on campus place that's sort of in a half basement?

MisterQ
02-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Drink me! Drink me! ;)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Yep star :) (That's why I was only gone for less than an hour lol) they have a Valentine's party every year.

and lol Q, Martinis aren't my thing. I had an apple one a while back and was none too fond.

MisterQ
02-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Martini's are pretty hard core. It has taken years of debauchery for me to enjoy them. :devil:

My parent's neighbors unfortunately have martini hour sometimes at 4pm. Somehow I'm always invited if I'm home.

star
02-14-2004, 07:11 PM
What the hell is an apple martini?

Sounds like some sort of sacrilege to me. :)

But, vodka... any hard liquor, except tequila, i must take in very small sips.... teensy tiny ones.

And I don't like olives. ;)

tangerine_dream
02-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Dammit, Fox Sports in New York is NOT showing any of the Siebel Open. Figures! :fiery:

bunk, jace, or anyone who gets to see the semis and finals on TV, could you please tape it for me? I would be eternally grateful to you! I will also send you a box of valentine chocolates. I'm not kidding. I really want to see andy and mardy take on andre! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 07:24 PM
tangy i'm in the same boat as you. Fox Sports SouthWest isn't showing anything either. FS NE is showing the final, so I'll have my parents tape that for me. But I'd die to see Mardy/Andre!

an apple martini has apple liquer in it and it was slightly green colored. Not horrible, just not my taste. Margaritas and stuff are what I'd prefer :) I enjoyed my Apple Smirnoff Ice last night as well

YOU DON'T LIKE OLIVES?????? gasp..... I can just sit and eat them by the handful :lol:

Havok
02-14-2004, 08:37 PM
yeah Jace you get the semis, give us a little play by pay shall you;) and over here we get sweet fuck all of the smaller events:banana: we get the slams, the TMS events, and that's about it. oh yeah and no WTA tennis, except for when they play in Canada, of course;)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Andy's 1.06 to win.... Kendrick is over 7 hehehe

Andre's a favorite too, but not by nearly as much

Incidentally, why do people bet on tennis? lol

star
02-14-2004, 09:41 PM
an apple martini has apple liquer in it and it was slightly green colored. Not horrible, just not my taste.

YOU DON'T LIKE OLIVES?????? gasp..... I can just sit and eat them by the handful :lol:

blech! liquers ..... I shudder. When I have a margarita, I make sure that they aren't dumping tons of some liquer in it. A bit of Contreau, and that's it!

And yes olives are one of the foods I will not put in my mouth. Pickles too. I don't want them even on my plate. The smell is disgusting. Beets, ditto. Calamari, the same. Oysters..... ick. Seaweed.... ewwww. I'll eat just about everything else. :)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 09:54 PM
lol olives and pickles are two of my favorite snacks. But all the other stuff, I'm right with ya running far far away.

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 10:23 PM
everyone go down to the tourney forum - Veronique's giving us point-by-point commentary :)

star
02-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Am I the only one surprised that Andy is having a difficult time with Kendrick?

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm surprised as well.

But I'm thrilled that Andy is 4-0 for the year in TB.

Nishy
02-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Hi. I am watching Live Scoring.
I am also suprised Andy had little tough time in 1st set.
But I heard Kendrick is local person and he has some crowd support?

star
02-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Yes. Kendrick played at Stanford which is close by.

And definitely....... great tiebreak record so far this year.

star
02-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Maybe Jackson will get lucky and get to see a thrilling match between Fish and Andy tomorrow.

;) :p

Nishy
02-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Andy won! :D

FOX Sports Northwest may show this match.
I am glad if I can watch this.

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Maybe Jackson will get lucky and get to see a thrilling match between Fish and Andy tomorrow.

;) :p

hahaha maybe!

Andy had 22 winners today and 23 errors. It sounds like that alone was probably the difference that made the match a little tough. He'll have to correct that for Andre or Mardy.

Havok
02-14-2004, 11:53 PM
well after reading how the points went down, thanks to Veronique;), Andy hit a lot into the net. I'm sure he's playing good, but gotta clean up the errors!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2004, 11:56 PM
yep definitely Naldo.... here's the first AP article. will edit it as newer versions come out lol
----
Roddick advances to Siebel Open final

JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
Saturday, February 14, 2004

(02-14) 15:46 PST SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) --

Top-seeded Andy Roddick advanced to his first final of the season with a 7-6 (3), 6-2 victory Saturday over wild-card entry Robert Kendrick in the Siebel Open.

Roddick, ranked third in the world, dropped only three points on his serve in an entertaining first set, but had to go the distance against the free-swinging Kendrick, who had nothing to lose in this one.

Second-seeded Andre Agassi played No. 3 Mardy Fish in the late semifinal. Roddick improved to 11-2 this year and has reached his first final since winning his first career Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open last September. Tournament organizers were already anticipating the potential matchup of the big-serving Roddick against Agassi, one of the game's top returners.

With girlfriend Mandy Moore cheering him on, Roddick routinely congratulated Kendrick with "nice shot" and a clap of his racket. And Roddick made a quick exit afterward.

"I promise you, Valentine's Day was created by women to get men in trouble," Roddick told the crowd moments after the match. "So, basically my goal for Valentine's Day is to stay out of the dog house."

Would a tournament win make a difference?

"That doesn't play on Valentine's Day," Roddick said. "She'll say, 'Yeah, that's great. You can hit a tennis ball, but let's go out and see something."'

This marked the first all-American semifinal at this tournament since 1995 -- featuring Agassi, MaliVai Washington, Jim Courier and Michael Chang. The last semifinal with all American players on the tour was last February in Memphis, with Roddick, Taylor Dent, Vincent Spadea and Brian Vahaly.

The 24-year-old Kendrick reached the semis of an ATP tournament for the second time in his career. He advanced with a hard-fought 7-6 (6), 4-6, 6-3 win over Frenchman Cyril Saulnier on Friday.

Kendrick, ranked 139th, grew up in Fresno and often attended this tournament as a youngster. He had a strong rooting section all week -- about 20 friends and family members have been in attendance all week.

He gave them something to smile about, too.

After hitting a diving backhand volley down the line for a winner, Kendrick did two quick pushups.

Kendrick has been pleased with his run here, and hopes his strong showing will give him momentum for the season.

Kendrick pulled off the first upset of the tournament with a 6-4, 6-4 second-round win Wednesday over 23rd-ranked Dent, the tournament's fourth-seeded player. Kendrick beat 75th-ranked Lars Burgsmuller of Germany in straight sets in the first round.

andyroxmysox12191
02-15-2004, 12:12 AM
i've read that article 3 times already....how do u all get it before anyone else?! it's haunting me! lol
and :haha: to
"I promise you, Valentine's Day was created by women to get men in trouble," Roddick told the crowd moments after the match. "So, basically my goal for Valentine's Day is to stay out of the dog house."

wonder what he'd do to stay outta the dog house. :lol:
then again, i dont wanna know...

J. Corwin
02-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Oooook. I posted this over at the tourney forum, but I'll post this here too:

Andy missed some key opportuniteis to break open the match by missing some of his forehand passes that barely clips the net.

Other notes that haven't already been mentioned:

-Mandy was wearing a lime green shirt and looked sorta pissed when Andy missed a routine backhand up the line into the open court. lol

-Andy's returns looks a lot better and sharper.

-Robert hugged a linesman after losing a point lol

star
02-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Better get that VCR hummin', Bunk. Andy is on ET

J. Corwin
02-15-2004, 01:11 AM
thanks for the heads up

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 01:25 AM
star, are you talking about that star couples thing on E! right now? Did they already show Andy and Mandy?

star
02-15-2004, 02:02 AM
There wasn't a couples thingy. It was Andy by himself.

star
02-15-2004, 02:03 AM
There was something about him talking about their first date. He talked about dressing poorly for it.

I'm thinking Andy takes a little too much pride in scuffy dressing. :)

andyroxmysox12191
02-15-2004, 03:09 AM
did anyone record it???

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 03:32 AM
I don't even know when ET is on here!!!!!!

Jace, that lime green shirt is supposedly the same one she wore the other day to his match :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 03:51 AM
Here's the most recent AP article

Roddick advances to Siebel Open final

Saturday, February 14, 2004

(02-14) 16:39 PST SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) --

Andy Roddick sliced a 107 mph ace to the corner on match point and finally finished off an opponent who put up a much bigger fight than anyone envisioned.

The top-seeded Roddick advanced to his first final of the season with a 7-6 (3), 6-2 victory Saturday over wild-card entry Robert Kendrick in the Siebel Open.

Roddick, ranked third in the world, dropped only three points on his serve in an entertaining first set, but had to go the distance against the free-swinging Kendrick, who had nothing to lose in this one.

"I didn't feel super threatened," said Roddick, who had 11 aces, topping out at 134 mph. He lost only eight points in 10 service games, dropping just one point on his first serve.

Second-seeded Andre Agassi played No. 3 Mardy Fish in the late semifinal.

Roddick won his first three service games at love and improved to 11-2 this year. He has reached his first final since winning his first career Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open last September. Tournament organizers were already anticipating the potential matchup of the big-serving Roddick against Agassi, one of the game's top returners and a five-time winner here.

Roddick also was looking ahead.

"What Andre does, it's insane," Roddick said. "Obviously, it'd be great to beat Andre. He's one of my heroes."

If Roddick plays Agassi, Roddick would try to become only the fourth player to beat both Agassi and Pete Sampras in the final of a tournament. The others to do it are Stefan Edberg, Lleyton Hewitt and Greg Rusedski.

With girlfriend Mandy Moore cheering him on, Roddick routinely congratulated Kendrick with a "nice shot" and a clap of his racket. And Roddick made a quick exit afterward.

Would a tournament win make a difference?

"That doesn't play on Valentine's Day," Roddick said. "She'll say, 'Yeah, that's great. You can hit a tennis ball, but let's go out and see something."'

This marked the first all-American semifinal at this tournament since 1995 -- featuring Agassi, MaliVai Washington, Jim Courier and Michael Chang. The last tour semifinal with four American players was last February in Memphis, with Roddick, Taylor Dent, Vincent Spadea and Brian Vahaly.

The 24-year-old Kendrick reached the semis of an ATP tournament for the second time in his career. He advanced with a hard-fought 7-6 (6), 4-6, 6-3 win over Frenchman Cyril Saulnier on Friday.

"It's definitely a step in the right direction," Kendrick said. "I felt comfortable out there against Andy. I think this will help me down the road playing top-five guys."

Kendrick, ranked 139th, grew up in Fresno and often attended this tournament as a youngster. He had a strong rooting section all week -- about 20 friends and family members have been in attendance.

He gave them something to smile about, too.

After hitting a diving backhand volley down the line for a winner, Kendrick did two quick pushups. In the second set, he ran to chase down a deep ball and almost leveled an official. He immediately gave the linesman a big hug.

Kendrick is pleased with his run here, and hopes his strong showing will give him momentum for the season -- and perhaps propel him to a top-100 ranking.

Roddick believes Kendrick should move up further.

"I think saying top-100 he's selling himself short a little bit," Roddick said. "I was very impressed today. ... That's what I expected. He was going in with nothing to lose. At the same time, he wasn't going berserk with his shot selection."

Kendrick pulled off the first upset of the tournament with a 6-4, 6-4 second-round win Wednesday over the 23rd-ranked Dent, the tournament's fourth-seeded player. Kendrick beat 75th-ranked Lars Burgsmuller of Germany in straight sets in the first round.

"There weren't any nerves," Kendrick said. "That was very strange."

Havok
02-15-2004, 03:52 AM
good to know, gotta keep a lookout for ET later on tonight when they replay it

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 04:36 AM
Does nobody care how Mardy and Andre are doing??

Andre won the first set, 7-5

and now Mardy is leading the second set (barely) at 5-4

Go Mardy! Go Andre! :banana:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 04:38 AM
scratch that! Mardy just won the second set, 6-4! whooooo! :woohoo:

Third set coming right up! :bounce:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Tangy who are you rooting for? I know you like Andre and Mardy....

I think both of them will be equally as tough for Andy so I don't care so much in that respect... but it'd be awesome for Mardy to pull off this win. He's giving Andre trouble on all of his service games it seems! go Mardy!

Havok
02-15-2004, 04:51 AM
:scared: i liked Roddick's chances vs Agassi over Fish. Fish leads 3-0 in the 3rd with 2 breaks!!!!

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 04:54 AM
Wow, Mardy's up 4-0! :eek:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Ah, whew, Andre finally got 1 up on the board...

5-1 now...wow Mardy's on a roll.... :bounce:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 04:59 AM
don't forget that in a little while Mardy also has to play a doubles match. He could be tired.

I like Andy's chances against Mardy, if he plays as well as he has all week. but Mardy will want revenge for Cincy so it'll be tough. but, Andy can dooooooo ittttttttttt

Havok
02-15-2004, 04:59 AM
i hope Andy meets Andre in another final and beats him. i want him to get into that group of only 3 people, so far;), to beat Sampras and Agassi for a title

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:01 AM
hahahaha he's got chances in Scottsdale and Houston

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:02 AM
Mardy finished off at love.... wow.... CONGRATS MARDY!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy........ getttttttt ready! I bet he's hoping that doubles match goes to three tiebreaks! ;)

tangerine_dream
Mardy wins third set 6-2! :woohoo:

Mardy :banana:

Andre: :sad: :worship:

MisterQ
FUCKING FISH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:drink:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:03 AM
I can't believe Fish has to play doubles right after this match. :eek:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:04 AM

:haha: Can I drink with you? :drink:

Havok
02-15-2004, 05:05 AM
:haha: Q
oh i didn't know Fish still had doubles. i hope it's the longest doubles match ever:devil: no just kidding. well since he still has doubles, assuming he plays it, i like Andy's chances a lot more, simply because Mardy isn't the fittest dude in tennis. and after reading that Andy droped like 8 pts in ALL his service games:worship: and hit 70% 1st serves in (3 matches in a row:eek: ) then Andy'll guts it out in a tough win.

MisterQ
02-15-2004, 05:06 AM
:haha: Can I drink with you? :drink:

it's gonna be hard liquor tonight... ;)

damnit fish

farty mardy

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:07 AM
I know tangy..... they could've scheduled either the singles or the doubles in the afternoon so he didn't have them after. It just goes to show how the tournaments work. They want the "big man" Andre at night but they also want the biggest name doubles at night too and both happened to feature Mardy.

But yes, I kind of hope the dubs match goes long.

Either way, he's gotta be tired tomorrow even if it's a quick two sets. Playing Andre couldn't have been an easy match... I'm kind of torn, I really like Mardy and want to see him do well, but Andy is still my favorite :)

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:08 AM
farty mardy! :haha: :worship:

where's my goldschlagger....?

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:08 AM
it's gonna be hard liquor tonight... ;)

damnit fish

farty mardy

awwwwwwwwwww poor Q!

MisterQ
02-15-2004, 05:10 AM
I want Andre to reach 60 titles this year. He needs two more. This was a good chance.

I'll bet this was a good match. Too bad it's not being shown around here...

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:12 AM
Q think about it this way.... now you can root for Andy uninhibited ;)

I'm sure he'll get to 60 titles!!

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:14 AM
I'm rooting for Mardy to win Siebel! If he beats Andre AND Andy to win this title, his confidence will soar and maybe he'll finally have his breakout year this year in a major. :banana:

Andre, my sweet Andre.... :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:17 AM
lol Tangy you have too many favorites lol

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:19 AM
the singles final is at 1pm local time tomorrow. wow... that's not much turnaround time for the winner of the night match. I wouldn't be surprised if Mardy and James give the w.o. in the dubs...

star
02-15-2004, 05:20 AM
Ah, whew, Andre finally got 1 up on the board...

5-1 now...wow Mardy's on a roll.... :bounce:

:eek: Mardy on a roll!! A fish sandwich. :)

Havok
02-15-2004, 05:21 AM
lol. i want Mardy to do well, but not beat Andy:devil: IMO for him to have a GS breakthrough HE has to do it himself. his confidence was SKY HIGH at the US Open 2003, even though he lost to Andy in Cincy. and we all know what happened at the US Open:tape: and bunk, playing double shift happens A LOT in tennis. moreso with the women since top singles players also play doubles, and are ranked high as well;) nevertheless GO ANDY:banana: he's gotta keep the rest of the American young guns in a stranglehold. he can't let it slip;)

star
02-15-2004, 05:21 AM

Really Q!!

I think fish fertilize outside the body. ;)

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:23 AM
lol I agree Naldo..... that's why I'm still rooting for Andy even though Mardy is one of my faves. I want him to get his first 2004 title under the belt and I want to see him move up to #2 even if it only lasts a week.

So you think Mardy will play the dubs Naldo? I see the sb changed to "No Matches in Progress" instead of putting up the dubs info like they have seemed to do. I mean I'm sure no one would want to skip a dubs SF, but he's gotta be tired after the Andre match, physically AND mentally, and to be ready in like 15 hours to play another match against someone who should be way fresher... I dunno. we'll find out in a few minutes I guess.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Really Q!!

:haha:

oh, they put the dubs up on the scoreboard.... guess he's gonna play.

I guess that's good news for Andy?

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:26 AM
someone's been talking to Dahveed too much :lol:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040215/capt.sja10802150458.siebel_open_sja108.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040215/capt.sja10902150517.siebel_open_sja109.jpg

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:26 AM
I wonder if Mardy is thinking about Andy having a nice, relaxing, romantic bath with Mandy while he sweats it out on the court for two matches in a row? :scratch:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Serve hits right spots
Roddick ousts eager Kendrick

Ron Kroichick, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, February 15, 2004

Andy Roddick made sure to bring the most imposing weapon in tennis to Saturday's semifinals of the Siebel Open. Roddick did not set the radar gun aflame -- his fastest serve registered 134 miles per hour, well below his record of 150 -- but he still made a loud and emphatic statement.

Thirty-seven times, Roddick put his first serve in play against Robert Kendrick, the upstart from Fresno.

Thirty-six times, Roddick won the point.

Any questions?

Roddick rode his almost-impossible-to-handle serve to a 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 victory over Kendrick before 5,641 spectators at HP Pavilion. The win propelled Roddick into today's finals, where he will meet the winner of Saturday night's semifinal between Andre Agassi and Mardy Fish.

Tennis is seldom a sport prone to statistical explanation, but numbers convey the impact of Roddick's serve. He put his first serve in play 70 percent of the time Saturday; he lost only three points on serve in the first set; and Kendrick did not have a break point once in the entire match.

In fact, when Kendrick hit a backhand wide during the first-set tiebreaker, giving Roddick a "mini-break," Kendrick lofted the ball high in the air in frustration. By losing the point, Kendrick would need to solve Roddick's serve -- and that simply was not going to happen.

"I didn't feel super-threatened at any time," Roddick said afterward.

Kendrick, 24, stayed close for a while. He never lost his serve in the first set, raising the hopes of family and friends who drove up from Fresno to watch him play in only the second ATP Tour semifinal of his career.

Those hopes quickly vanished in the second set, when Roddick showed why he's the No. 3 player in the world. That did not deter Kendrick, who clearly enjoyed his improbable run this week in San Jose (he arrived with a world ranking of No. 139).

Once, after making a full-length dive to hit a beautiful backhand volley, Kendrick stayed on the court and did two quick pushups. Another time, after chasing a Roddick overhead, Kendrick hugged a linesman to avoid colliding. Later, upon losing his racket on a lunging volley, he hopped to his feet in the ready position, as if he would hit the next shot without a racket.

"I was having a little fun out there," Kendrick said.

He actually savored every moment in which he did not have to face Roddick's serve. Even then, Kendrick managed to show a sense of humor when asked what distinguishes Roddick's serve from that of other players on tour.

"It's the movement late," Kendrick said. "I feel like I need a cup and a batting helmet out there."

Barring an upset by Fish on Saturday night, Roddick figures to face Agassi in today's finals. It would represent more than a matchup of the tournament's top two seeds, more than a matchup of the two-highest ranked Americans in the world.

It also would pit Roddick's dominant serve against Agassi's renowned return of serve. Call it the tennis equivalent of Roger Clemens trying to fire fastballs past Tony Gwynn.

Roddick's coach, Brad Gilbert, could play a factor in this showdown, given that he previously coached Agassi for eight years. Gilbert should be able to offer Roddick some insight on Agassi's game.

"I can't start and stop anything," Gilbert said. "I think I can help, but if Andy is not executing, it doesn't matter."

Said Roddick: "It helps to a certain extent. But it's not like Andre is ranked No. 50 with glaring weaknesses. He doesn't have many holes in his game. He's a guy where I feel like I could play a great match and still lose."

Roddick's rise to the upper echelon of his sport has not removed his playfulness. After his victory over Kendrick on Saturday, he gave an on-court interview to Fox Sports Net, a chat shown and heard live at the arena.

Roddick was asked his plans for Valentine's Day, a relevant question given the presence in San Jose of his girlfriend, singer/actress Mandy Moore.

"I promise you, Valentine's Day was created by women to get men in trouble," Roddick replied, as the crowd laughed. "So my goal is to stay out of the doghouse."

star
02-15-2004, 05:29 AM
someone's been talking to Dahveed too much :lol:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040215/capt.sja10802150458.siebel_open_sja108.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040215/capt.sja10902150517.siebel_open_sja109.jpg

NEVER say so, Deb. Mardy is like 1,000 times better looking than Nalbandian.

Mardy looks very nice in red though.

He might want to rethink the necklace.

MisterQ
02-15-2004, 05:30 AM
Really Q!!

Well then they were rubbing their ovipositors together! :lol:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:33 AM
Why is everyone sporting the David Beckham hairstyle lately? You know, where your hair is kinda long and you pull half of it back into a ponytail...? I know he's Britain's uber-mextrosexual of the moment but I was kinda hoping the Americans would be immune to such trends..... :bolt:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:35 AM
I wonder if Mardy is thinking about Andy having a nice, relaxing, romantic bath with Mandy while he sweats it out on the court for two matches in a row? :scratch:

:haha:

Seriously though, he's gotta be worried about it.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:36 AM
Oh Mardy IS 1000000000 times more attractive than David, but the hair is not.

Mardy's worn that necklace every time I've seen him play (which granted isn't much...)

Havok
02-15-2004, 05:39 AM
UGH that hair. should i give people lessons or something?:lol:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:42 AM
Naldo: stylist to the tennis stars :worship: :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:47 AM
lol Naldo I think so!!!

WHO told guys that long hair is cute?! It's NOT!!!

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Like I said, pictures don't do Mardy any favors. The guy is damn gorgeous in person. He looked hot at DC cheering his friends on. *sigh* :hearts:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:56 AM
he looked hot with hair like that???? Excuse me while I find a wastebucket or toilet

star
02-15-2004, 06:00 AM
lol Naldo I think so!!!

WHO told guys that long hair is cute?! It's NOT!!!

Long hair is nice on some people. Rafter looked yummy with long hair.

star
02-15-2004, 06:05 AM
Oh yeah. Pat started this whole thing. :)

http://www.efrendz.com/channels/pictures/sports/tennis/men/pat/enlarge/14.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 06:10 AM
No! no he didn't! lol!!

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Wow Mardy and James aren't taking much time with this doubles match LOL

star
02-15-2004, 06:17 AM
http://www.geocities.com/rafterlover/rafter73.jpg

And don't make me start posting pictures of Nico. :)

star
02-15-2004, 06:18 AM
http://www.geocities.com/rafterlover/rafter86.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 06:23 AM
those pics aren't showing up for me...

don't get me wrong, Rafter is beautiful.. I just REALLY hate long hair on men.

star
02-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Different music for different moods. :)

In general, I prefer shot hair. But there are men who do look gorgeous with long hair and Rafter is one of them. He looked better with long hair than short hair.

The pictures work fine for me.

star
02-15-2004, 06:28 AM
Have a wonderful time tomorrow, Jackson!

J. Corwin
02-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Aww, thanks! :)

J. Corwin
02-15-2004, 09:40 AM
I also enjoyed watching that SF on TV. lol

James was in the audience, wearing a beanie.

star
02-15-2004, 01:41 PM
A beanie?

Not a skull cap?

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 03:18 PM
A beanie?

Not a skull cap?

Yea.... why would he be wearing either?! LOL

I'm jealous, Jace!!!

Mr. Man
02-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Good Luck in the final, Andy! :banana:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 04:56 PM
he looked hot with hair like that???? Excuse me while I find a wastebucket or toilet

No, his hair wasn't pulled back like that at all. It was lose and wavey and very blonde. Nice clean hair. Didn't you read my DC report? Shame on you. ;)

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Nice pic of Pat Rafter. He looked great with long hair. :lick:

jackson, I'm so jealous you get to see mardy and andy's final! :banana: Take lots of pictures! :yeah:

Why the heck was James wearing a beanie? Is he jewish? :tape:

Havok
02-15-2004, 05:10 PM
go Andy:banana: win your 12th title:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:10 PM
No, his hair wasn't pulled back like that at all. It was lose and wavey and very blonde. Nice clean hair. Didn't you read my DC report? Shame on you. ;)

LOL of course I read it. but I don't remember every detail of the tome ;)

You should have told him to get a haircut! lol

and..... James? Jewish?? :spit: :haha: :lol:

Ok so the more I think about the match, the more I have absolutely no clue what's going to happen. When Andy's serving as well as he has been this week, he doesn't generally lose. But with Mardy's confidence soaring how could HE lose? This match is going to be a nail-biter!!!!!

Can they both win????

Havok
02-15-2004, 05:15 PM
ahem, again sorry to point out Mardy's soaring confidence, but AO 2003:tape:, US Open 2003:tape:
imo Mardy still has to get it together in his head to get to the top. he's getting there though.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:18 PM
lol Naldo... he's never had a win like this over Andre before, though. And the fact that he came back from a set down to do it is even more impressive. I wouldn't expect him to just flake out today.

Plus the dude served 29 aces yesterday, against Andre! lol his serve is obviously working for him too.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
According to a couple of the betting things, Andy is just over 1 and Mardy around 4.5. I'm surprised it's that far apart quite frankly!

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Angles & Dropshots: Sunday, February 15
By: Joel Drucker

Andy Roddick on what makes tennis cool: “It’s mano-a-mano. It’s not about taking your clothes off to sell records. It’s an old-fashioned street brawl.” Having now spent more time in the Bay Area due to his relationship with San Rafael’s Brad Gilbert, Roddick says, “It’s gorgeous here. San Francisco is one of the coolest cities I’ve been to. There’s a lot to do, and it’s not typical.” . . .

Regarding his opponent today, Mardy Fish, and his recent improvements, Roddick said, “Mardy is competing. A lot of it with him was between the ears. Now he believes he can get to semis. He’s insanely talented with hand-eye coordination.” …

Of course it’s Fish who’s the man of the week. His 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 upset of five-time Siebel Open champ Andre Agassi was highlighted by a career-high 29 aces and a 60 percent first serve percentage. “I took advantage of my opportunities,” said Fish. “It’s a huge win, probably one of the biggest I’ve had. Put me on the other side of the net from anyone and I’ll try to beat them.” The last time Fish and Roddick met it was a classic, the finals in the ATP’s Tennis Masters Series, where Fish held two match points but Roddick carried the day in a third-set tiebreak. Fish and Roddick have a long history, Fish living with the Roddick family for a year while in high school. “We’d fight and compete and then walk out holding hands,” said Roddick. . . ( :scratch: :haha: )

Small world department: Roddick’s coach, Brad Gilbert and Fish’s coach, Kelly Jones, each played for Pepperdine in the ‘80s …

Says Fish about facing Roddick in the final, “It should be exciting. It’s always fun to play friends.”

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Fish and Roddick have a long history, Fish living with the Roddick family for a year while in high school. “We’d fight and compete and then walk out holding hands,” said Roddick. . .

Ha! I knew it! their secret had to come out eventually. :devil:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Kendrick earns kudos in defeat
By Ken Robison
The Fresno Bee

SAN JOSE -- Match point was an ace, as well it should be. For the 11th time on center court at HP Pavilion on Saturday afternoon, Robert Kendrick could not touch Andy Roddick's serve.

Game, set, match for Roddick.

Cash, points and respect for Fresno's Kendrick.

With a 7-6 (3), 6-2 decision, Roddick ended Kendrick's improbable run to the semifinals of the Siebel Open, the annual Bay Area professional men's tennis tournament. But not before Kendrick made an impression with his shot-making and personality.

Advertisement

Kendrick might have won over fans, players and coaches, but he couldn't overcome his opponent's serves. The 21-year-old Roddick, ranked No. 3 in the world and the defending U.S. Open champion, lost just eight points in 10 service games. When his first serve went in -- at a 70% rate -- he won 36 of 37 points. That's why he would say afterward, "I didn't feel super threatened." That's how you feel when you never face a break point and your serve reaches 134 mph.

Kendrick served well enough to take the first set to a tiebreak, which he lost 7-3. Roddick then broke Kendrick in the second game of the second set, setting up the inevitable outcome.

"I felt I needed a cup and batting helmet," Kendrick joked when discussing Roddick's serve, which has a lot of movement in addition to pace. "You need to see his serve well, and I wasn't."

After Roddick broke his serve, Kendrick admitted, "The gas was running on empty."

Not because of nerves, he said, but simply emotional fatigue from the biggest week of his professional tennis career. Kendrick reached the semifinals of an ATP Tour event for just the second time and did it in front of family and friends.

"It was weird, there weren't many nerves," he said, crediting prior experience playing before big crowds-- such as in Tokyo last year when, "I don't think I could breathe against [Rainer] Schuettler."

Kendrick impressed the crowd in the first set when he dove at a Roddick passing shot and sent a volley into the open court. Lying on the court, Kendrick did a few pushups before getting back onto his feet. It was just another lighthearted moment, like his heel-click after defeating Cyril Saulnier on Friday.

Kendrick said he was glad the fans got to see his personality. So was Siebel tournament chairman Barry MacKay, who promoted Kendrick as a Northern California-bred player in NorCal's premier men's tennis event.

"This is probably the most important week in Robert's career," MacKay said. "He made a quantum leap in earning respect from the other young Americans. I've heard the guys saying, 'We always knew he was a great player, now he's proving it.' "

Kendrick entered the Siebel on Monday ranked No. 139, awarded a wild card by promoters wanting to help a NorCal player. He wasn't an unknown to the Bay Area crowd, which had seen him play as a high-ranked junior, in college with Washington and Pepperdine or last year when he and Paul Goldstein reached the Sielbel doubles final.

But with several top 25 players entered, a run to the semifinals was an upset of sorts.

When Kendrick dropped No. 23 Taylor Dent 6-4, 6-4 without losing a service game Wednesday, Kendrick began to turn some heads -- including Roddick's coach Brad Gilbert.

"He should certainly be in the top 50," Gilbert said. "He's got some talent. He has more ability than his ranking would show."

Roddick also praised Kendrick: "That first set was tight. When I'd get a chance to break, he'd come up with a big serve or play a big point. I was very impressed today. ... He just needs to get consistent, to win matches at the [ATP] Tour level week in and week out.

"Maybe this will be his springboard."

Kendrick can hope so. When he got onto the tour last summer, he was playing with an injured thumb from an accident at Wimbledon. Now he's healthy and confident for another run -- beginning with the qualifying rounds at the Arizona Men's Tennis Championships in Scottsdale at the end of the month.

Reaching the Siebel semis earned Kendrick $18,000 -- equalling his biggest pro payday -- and 75 ranking points that should bring him close to his all-time best ranking of No. 118. He'll need to rise to about No. 105 to get into the Grand Slam tournaments and between 75 and 100 to get into most ATP events.

So while Roddick battles for his 12th career title today against Mardy Fish, Kendrick will be back in Fresno, resting for a few days before beginning to train for Scottsdale.

But if he makes another run in that event, it won't quite be the same as this magical weekend in San Jose.

"I was feeling the love from Fresno," Kendrick said. "I appreciate them coming out. It means a lot."

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 06:25 PM
*** whips out my new Guide to Professional Tennis manual to look up Kendrick *** :)

Glad to see another new ball making a name for himself. :yeah:

star
02-15-2004, 06:31 PM
:)

Taunting us with that book, are you, Tangy????

He's 24. There are some pictures of him on one of the Yahoo sites. Maybe one of the international sites. I saw it this morning.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 06:35 PM
in that article he says he'll be at Scottsdale :aparty: Cool!

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Another article on the "fist-pumping" incident. I wish this had been on TV so I could see for myself. :sad:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_AR_021404.html

ps - Andy is Mardy's favorite Valentine. Ha ha ha! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 06:56 PM
tennisreporters.net from the tourney (just the Andy stuff)
---
By Matthew Cronin
tennisreporters.net

FROM THE SIEBEL OPEN IN SAN JOSE – Mandy Moore's favorite valentine, Andy Roddick, has a lot to be proud of these days. He's the US Open defending champion, had a decent stint at No. 1 and is a much more engaging and thoughtful person than he was two years ago.

Roddick has stepped up significantly over the past seven months, but his stairway to tennis heaven is long and winding. He's ranked No. 3 now and while he's proved that he's a top-five player on fast surfaces and owns the game's most fearsome serve, he hasn't shown that he's better than the other upper-shelf elite players – Roger Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Marat Safin, Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi.

FORMER ROOMMATES GO AT IT
Fish has an even bigger task against Roddick, his former roommate and close friend who is 2-1 against him. Last summer in the final of Cincinnati, Fish held two match points, but Roddick aced him twice and won a 4-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4) victory.

Fish came into the tournament ranked No. 21 and could go as high as No. 18. Roddick will surpass Juan Carlos Ferrero at No. 2 on Monday, but is still way behind Roger Federer. He needs a big run here, in Memphis, Scottsdale, Indian Wells and Key Biscayne to threaten the Swiss.

It's impossible to criticize his serving at any level this week. In the quarters against old junior doubles partner Joachim Johansson, he blasted 27 aces and only hit one double fault compared, while knocking in 72 percent of his first serves.

"It works," said Roddick, whose 27 aces were a personal best in a three-set match. "I've been feeling good rhythm on my serve. I'm getting the kind of action I want. The biggest difference is placement."

The world's fastest server, Roddick has hit 63 aces in four matches. He's ultra confident in his ability to hold serve, but won't put himself in the same category as all time great Pete Sampras.
"I'm definitely not Sampras," he said. "I have to go for it. One of Pete's biggest things was his insane confidence in himself and rightfully so, but that's not a level I've gotten to."

He displayed all his A-1 serves in his 7-6 (3) 6-2 TKO of fellow American Robert Kendrick in the semis, including his ear-drum piercing flat one, his wicked slice and his mule-kicker (wtf is a mule-kicker serve??). But Johannson and Kendrick don't return like the bald legend, who Roddick says is still the best in the game.

The 21-year-old Roddick is murder from the baseline when he's able to plant his feet, but still isn't that impressive on the run. His forehand is bigger than Fish’s, but his backhand isn't in the same league and as Mardy showed with his 29 aces, against Agassi, he can on a great day match him in the service department. The winner of this contest will largely be determined by who serves better.

It’s hard for close friends to be great rivals, but both these men are street brawlers. Whether they party together off court, they’ll try to bloody each other’s noses on court. While they may never develop a classic in-your-face rivalry, Fish is now playing well enough to be placed into Roddick’s hemisphere. If he wins this tournament, one could argue that he has a shot to end the year as the highest-ranked American.

Now that would be worth a fist-pump aimed at the whole world.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 06:57 PM
oops sorry tangy lol... I was editing this as you posted the link lol

star
02-15-2004, 07:56 PM
29 aces against Agassi is very good. :)

star
02-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Ha! I knew it! their secret had to come out eventually. :devil:

MORE evidence that Andy is gay!!!

:yippee:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Note to self: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, pump fist directly at Mardy at Siebel tonight.....

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 08:10 PM
LMGDFAO tangy!!

Mardy and Andy are waaayyyyy too close for that kind of stuff. I truly believe that. You can tell they genuinely like each other. Yes it's competitive on the court but you can tell that they both like and respect each other and that it's kinda tough being out there.

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 08:16 PM
You know what I like best about watching Andy and Mardy play? The fact that they are such good friends but that they are also brawlers and perfectly willing and able to beat the holy crap out of one another to win a title. :lol: :yeah: In other words, when they play they are really playing to win. No hard feelings. Nothing personal. None of this "I think I'll double fault here so my sister will feel better" sympathy crap we always got from the freakin' Williams sisters. :rolleyes: That's one reason why their finals always sucked. You just knew they were holding back their best play. I hate that. :(

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 08:18 PM
female siblings and male friends are veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy different dynamics LOL

Personally, if I had a sister, I would never be able to go across from her and try to kick her ass. Guy buddies are different LOL

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Only about 20 min away now...

I'm getting nervous for some reason!

star
02-15-2004, 08:48 PM
I know some sisters who go all out against each other.

It all depends on the relationship.

Oliver and Christopher don't like playing each other at all at all.

Kim and Elke will play in Antwerp if Elke can win her first round match....... which isn't all that certain.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 08:51 PM
I absolutely canNOT imagine Kim playing her sister!!

star
02-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Why not?

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 09:01 PM
she's too nice! lol

Havok
02-15-2004, 09:09 PM
now way Elke's gonna win a main draw match. NO WAY. if she does, it's the end of the world.
good luck Andy:yeah:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 09:10 PM
well it's started. Andy serving, opens w/3 aces in opening game.

Havok
02-15-2004, 09:13 PM
bunk you watching it, or you in the siebel livescores thread??

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm in the livescores thread and also talking to someone who's talking to someone who's watching on tv lol

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 09:44 PM
female siblings and male friends are veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy different dynamics LOL

I have a sister who I love to death but we always used to beat the crap out of each other when we were kids. ;)

We still trash-talk each other now in adulthood. :lol:

If we were tennis players, we would be definitely be at each others' throats to win, and then hug each other afterwards and continue the trash-talking all the way home. :devil: :rolls:

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Go Mardy! Beat up Andy! :banana: ;)

MisterQ
02-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Holy tiebreak!

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 11:01 PM
CONGRATS on your first title of 2004 Andy!! And for getting back to #2!! And for having nerves of steel in the tiebreak!!

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Andy wins his 11 (?) ATP title!!!! WTG, Andy! :banana:

Looks like he and Mardy had a great fight out there, but Mardy just doesn't have the mental mettle that Andy does. And his rallies aren't up to par, either. Still, they seemed to be so evenly matched here, I hope Mardy doesn't go home and cry again for a week like he did after Cincy last year. :sobbing: Poor Mardy! Will he ever get the Andy monkey off his back? :devil:

So this win will put Andy where in the points race? Back up to top three where he belongs, I hope? :bounce:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 11:06 PM
12th!!!!!!!!!!

It gives Andy 35 points, which will put him about 6th in the meaningless champions race and 2nd in the Entry System. I'll update the rankings page on RO later after the news and pics from the match are calmed down.

Mardy has a long way to go in the mental department, but then again he saved a bunch of SPs in the TB before Andy won it, and he saved how many, 4 BPs in that game?

Mardy has clearly shown he has a huge future ahead!

tangerine_dream
02-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Mentally, Mardy has improved a lot since last year but his matches with Andy are always so close and Andy always manages to just edge him out. That's gotta eat at Mardy: "WHAT do I have to do to beat this guy?" LOL.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 11:16 PM
yep, definitely.

I would chalk it up to experience. Andy's been match point down in a slam semi final, he's been to 21-19 in the fifth set of a slam quarter final, his 5-set matches have been really epic for the most part lol, he just has more experience.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2004, 11:37 PM
I just love how good of friends they are!!! it's so endearing!
------

Roddick defeats Fish for Siebel Open title
Sunday, February 15, 2004

Andy Roddick won his first title of 2004 with a thrilling 7-6 (13), 6-4 victory Sunday over good friend Mardy Fish in the Siebel Open.

The top-seeded Roddick, who's ranked No. 3, improved to 12-2 this year by outlasting Fish in a fabulous first set. It featured sizzling serves by both and plenty of razzing between players who lived together for a year in high school.

In four meetings, the two have played four tiebreakers. Roddick saved four set points in Sunday's tiebreaker and had five break points before winning the ninth game of the second set -- the only service break of the match.

Roddick won the tiebreaker after the players traded big serves and painted the lines with pinpoint groundstrokes.

Fish took a 3-0 lead in the tiebreaker before Roddick found his rhythm. Roddick took a 13-12 lead when Fish netted a backhand. Roddick then missed a forehand to make it 13-all. He finished off the set with an acrobatic overhead and jumped up and down in celebration -- and relief.

Later, Roddick said to Fish: "Don't be jealous of my hops."

Fish lived with Roddick's family in Boca Raton, Fla. Of their relationship, Roddick said: "We were like brothers. We would fight, then we'd walk out of the house holding hands three minutes later."

The first set took up 55 minutes of the 1-hour, 35-minute match.

"It was one of those tiebreakers when anything could happen," Fish said. "It was good quality. There weren't that many errors. It was an exciting breaker, that's for sure."

Roddick won his first title since capturing his first Grand Slam tournament in September at the U.S. Open.

The third-seeded Fish outaced Roddick 17-16 after slamming a career-high 29 in his three-set semifinal upset of Andre Agassi on Saturday night.

The players combined for 11 aces in the first five games Sunday.

Roddick tossed his racket to the ground several times and let out his frustration on chair umpire Steve Ullrich after a let call on his serve in the first set.

"Why do we both seem confused?" Roddick said. "We were both ready for the next point. Why don't you turn the machine off and use your own brain?"

It marked the first all-American final on the tour since Aug. 17, 2003, in Cincinnati, where Roddick saved two match points to beat Fish in a third-set tiebreaker.

The last final here featuring two Americans was in 1998, when Agassi defeated Pete Sampras.

After the singles final, Fish had a short break before going back on court to team with James Blake against Rick Leach and Brian MacPhie in the doubles final.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 12:16 AM
You knew it was coming... I couldn't make these up even if I tried!:

Roddick beats fried Fish in Siebel final
Roddick reels in Fish to win San Jose crown
Roddick Nets Fish

tangerine_dream
02-16-2004, 12:20 AM
They kinda match don't they? :)

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 12:24 AM
LOL Yea

More confirmation of the secret being out ;)
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/SJA105021518_lower.jpg

tangerine_dream
02-16-2004, 12:54 AM
These two are always hugging each other. Awww. :)

andyroxmysox12191
02-16-2004, 01:18 AM
:haha: u guys are too much.

MisterQ
02-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Maybe the trucker hat is actually a kiss-deterrent.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 01:21 AM
LMGDFAO deaddddddddddd

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 01:30 AM
More updated AP article
-----

Roddick defeats Fish for Siebel Open title

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) _ Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish used to race to high school, each taking what they believed to be the most efficient route.

Fish usually won. It typically took him 22 minutes in his Ford Mustang. Roddick, in a beat-up Chevy Blazer, usually needed 25.

They had a different speed contest Sunday.

Roddick rode his booming serve to win his first title of 2004 with a thrilling 7-6 (13), 6-4 victory over his good friend in the Siebel Open.

The top-seeded Roddick, who's ranked No. 3, won his 12th career title and improved to 12-2 this year by outlasting Fish in a fabulous first set. It featured sizzling serves by both and plenty of razzing between players who lived together for a year in high school.

As they shook hands, Roddick pulled Fish into an embrace and patted him on the behind. (:lol: :haha: this is getting ridiculous now LOL!!!!)

``We just know what each other's going to do,'' Roddick said. ``I found myself going against what I do instinctively because he knows what I do instinctively. ... I know when I make a joke, no matter how intense it is, he's going to get it. No stepping on toes.'' (awwwwww sweet!!!!!)

In four meetings, the two have played four tiebreakers. (Andy's won all four of them, incidentally. He was up a set in Delray last year when he withdrew) Roddick saved four set points in Sunday's tiebreaker and had five break points before winning the ninth game of the second set _ the only service break of the match.

Roddick won the tiebreaker after the players traded big serves and painted the lines with pinpoint groundstrokes.

Fish took a 3-0 lead in the tiebreaker before Roddick found his rhythm. Roddick took a 13-12 lead when Fish netted a backhand. Roddick then missed a forehand to make it 13-all. He finished off the set with an acrobatic overhead and jumped up and down in celebration _ and relief.

Later, Roddick joked to Fish: ``Don't be jealous of my hops.''

The first set took up 55 minutes of the 1-hour, 35-minute match.

``It was one of those tiebreakers when anything could happen,'' Fish said. ``I grew up playing Andy, and I'm sure we had longer tiebreakers than this. We didn't have umpires. That backhand he hit on set point was out.''

Fish lived with Roddick's family in Boca Raton, Fla., in 1999. Both players trained under coach Stanford Boster. The doors to their rooms were five feet from each other, and they spent many a night battling it out in basketball and pingpong. According to Fish, Roddick ``bricked'' his layups.

When Roddick won the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston last November to secure the year's No. 1 ranking, Fish interrupted Roddick's postmatch news conference by giving him a champagne bath. (oops, bad error here)

Of their relationship, Roddick said: ``We were like brothers. We would fight, then we'd walk out of the house holding hands three minutes later.'' (ok really, enough!)

Roddick won his first title since capturing his first Grand Slam tournament in September at the U.S. Open, and girlfriend Mandy Moore cheered him on all week as he hit a tournament-high 79 aces and lost only one service game in five matches (:eek: ). Fish was right behind Roddick in aces with 72 in a tournament that promoted itself with the slogan ``Fast Service Guaranteed.''

The third-seeded Fish outaced Roddick 17-16 after slamming a career-high 29 in his three-set semifinal upset of Andre Agassi on Saturday night. But Roddick had one more winner _ 35-34. Fish also committed 29 unforced errors to 17 for Roddick. (wow a 2-1 differential for w-ue for Andy... nice!)

The players combined for 11 aces in the first five games.

Roddick tossed his racket to the ground several times and let out his frustration on chair umpire Steve Ullrich after a let call on his serve in the first set.

``Why do we both seem confused?'' Roddick said. ``We were both ready for the next point. Why don't you turn the machine off and use your own brain?''

Fish also argued with Ullrich.

It marked the first all-American final on the tour since Aug. 17, 2003, in Cincinnati, where Roddick saved two match points to beat Fish in a third-set tiebreaker.

The last final here featuring two Americans was in 1998, when Agassi defeated Pete Sampras.

After the singles final, Fish had a short break before going back on court to team with James Blake against Rick Leach and Brian MacPhie in the doubles final.

Roddick's coach, Brad Gilbert, won this tournament in 1999. (uh..... think they meant 1989 LOL)

MisterQ
02-16-2004, 01:39 AM
I understand these articles are written quickly, and an occasional mistake is inevitable, but if an article has more than one significant mistake, is the author really qualified to be writing it?!

Havok
02-16-2004, 01:42 AM
uh bunk, it was MARDY who was up a set on Andy at delray beach when Andy retired from the match:wavey:

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 01:43 AM
well.... no, not really. She's the same person who's written all the articles all week though, for the AP anyway, and these are the first ones I noticed.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 01:45 AM
uh bunk, it was MARDY who was up a set on Andy at delray beach when Andy retired from the match:wavey:

well so it was. I should've known to not trust Eurosport's stats!!!

star
02-16-2004, 01:52 AM
I think the last one was a typo.

Havok
02-16-2004, 02:23 AM
12 titles:banana: more than Safin:devil: and andy's 3 years younger:worship:

tangerine_dream
02-16-2004, 03:04 AM
Is it me or is Andy starting to look bored with his wins? Or maybe he's just sick of winning ugly vases as a trophy? :scratch: Someone went dumpster-diving for this one. LOL. :rolls:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040215/capt.sja10402152339.siebel_open_sja104.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:05 AM
Here's a nice article.
----
Roddick wins Siebel Open

By DARREN SABEDRA

San Jose Mercury News

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Just when Andy Roddick seemed to gain the upper hand Sunday, Mardy Fish answered. And vice versa. On and on it went in this Siebel Open final, a tiebreaker that might not be forgotten any time soon.

Each player saved four set points before Roddick unloaded a 119 mph serve, followed by a forehand winner into the corner to take the first set. Roddick earned the day's only service break late in the second set - on his fifth try - and that was enough to defeat his former high school housemate 7-6 (15-13), 6-4 at HP Pavilion.

``I was just trying to hang on,'' Roddick said.

As the match unfolded, it was apparent the young Americans knew a thing or two about each other. Even when things heated up on the court, they shared laughs and friendly verbal jabs.

Make no mistake, however, neither wanted to settle for the runner-up's trophy.

``It was pretty intense there for a little bit in the first set and the second set,'' Roddick said.

The intensity was clear to see from the outset, as the two booming servers launched one rocket after another. Roddick yielded only one point in his first three service games, and there were a combined 11 aces over the first five games.

All that power led to the match's defining moment, the marathon tiebreaker. Fish, the third seed, gained the early edge with a mini-break when Roddick misfired from the baseline to make it 1-0. But the top seed and world No.3 evened things at 3-all when chair umpire Steve Ullrich overruled what would have been a winner by Fish.

It only got tighter from there, with the set seemingly hinging on every shot.

``It was one of those tiebreakers where anything could happen,'' Fish said. ``It was pretty good quality. There weren't too many errors. I think all the points finished in good shots.

``It was just an exciting breaker, that's for sure.''

The match remained close until deep into the second set. That was when Fish, who defeated Andre Agassi in three sets Saturday, began to tire.

But even as the strength in his legs began to go, Fish, 22, kept battling. He overcame four break points in the ninth game before sending a forehand long to put the match on Roddick's racket.

That is never a good sign. Roddick, 21, lost just one of his 50 service games during the week, consistently firing lasers in the neighborhood of 130 mph. After he broke serve Sunday, Roddick quickly polished off Fish in the next game to win his 12th tournament, and first since the U.S. Open last fall.

Roddick finished with 16 aces and put 71 percent of his first serves into play. Fish had 17 aces but only a 59 percent first-serve success rate.

When it was over, the friends shared a hug and more laughs at the net. The two have been like brothers, as Roddick put it earlier in the tournament, since Fish moved into the Roddick family's Florida home in 1999. He did that to be closer to his coach, who also worked with Roddick.

Now, they are part of America's new tennis generation, one that includes Taylor Dent, Robby Ginepri and James Blake. If Sunday's match was sign of things to come, the future looks bright.

``It was awesome,'' Fish said. ``I told Andy after the match that hopefully we can play many more of these.''

This was the first all-American final on tour since Roddick beat Fish in Cincinnati last August, and the first all-American final here in six years.

``It's great that we're all pushing each other,'' Roddick said. ``By us doing well this week, it's going to make Taylor, Robby and James want to step up soon. That's the way it always works.

``That's what made the generation before us so good. Even if they weren't as tight on a personal level, obviously there is always competitive jealousy, which I think is a good thing.''

There might not have been jealousy Sunday. Just a new breed of players slugging it out for 95 minutes.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:06 AM
Is it me or is Andy starting to look bored with his wins? Or maybe he's just sick of winning ugly vases as a trophy? :scratch: Someone went dumpster-diving for this one. LOL. :rolls:

LOL That pic in particular looks sort of complacent.. but the one at AR.com is nice :)

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:11 AM
And another article!
------
Roddick Reels in Fish to Win San Jose Crown

By Matthew Cronin

SAN JOSE, California (Reuters) - Top seed Andy Roddick overcame high school team mate Mardy Fish 7-6, 6-4, to win his first San Jose Open title on Sunday.

In a spectacular match between two close friends, both players served well and came up with big shots again and again but it was the U.S. Open (news - web sites) champion who produced the goods when it mattered most.

"It was pretty intense out there," Roddick told reporters. "We just know what each other's going to do.

"That was evident. I found myself going against myself instinctively because he knows what I would do instinctively."

Roddick saved four set points in a long first set tiebreak when it appeared the pumped-up Fish was about to seize control of the match.

The tiebreak was finally won 15-13 by Roddick when he kicked a 119 mph serve into Fish's backhand and followed up with a forehand volley winner.

FIRST BREAK

In the second set, Roddick, 21, needed five break points before producing the first service break of the match at 4-4 and then served out for victory.

Roddick delivered 16 aces against 17 by Fish.

"I got a little tired," said Fish, who lived at Roddick's house when the pair attended high school in Boca Raton, Florida.

Fish, who played two matches on Saturday and won the doubles title with James Blake on Sunday, added: "My legs started to feel it a little bit.

"The first set was long and we were playing some good points. My serve just started to go."

The title was Roddick's first since he won the U.S. Open in September.

The American will now leapfrog Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero into second place in the ATP rankings when they are released on Monday.

Roddick is hoping to dominate the U.S. winter and spring hardcourt season and wants to put pressure on world number one Roger Federer of Switzerland, who is approximately 700 points ahead in the rankings.

"I don't know if I'm capable of it but if I was capable of a big summer run (last year), why not switch in to spring?," said Roddick, who was undefeated in the 2003 U.S. summer hardcourt season, winning four titles.

"It's tough to get back to that level but I feel I'm hitting the ball well, I'm serving well and I feel I'm pretty tough to beat."

Havok
02-16-2004, 03:24 AM
don't you find it funny that those pics when Andy looks bored holding a trophy is ALWAYS when it's some sort of crappy vase???:haha: and yeah they always seem to snap a picture of a "blah" Roddick with his trophies, but he really does smile each time though;)

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:36 AM
A great wrapup from the ATP. They're so classy about each other. And some really nice stuff from Mardy:
------

Roddick Clinches 12th Career Title in San Jose
ATPtennis.com

Top seed Andy Roddick defeated countryman and friend Mardy Fish, the No. 3 seed, 7-6(13), 6-4, to capture his first title since the US Open last September. Roddick collected his 12th career title without dropping a set during the week. In fact, he only lost serve once in 50 games in five matches, that coming against Christophe Rochus in the seventh game of his first round victory.

The high quality match, which lasted 1:36, featured an outstanding first set tie-break in which neither player faced a break point. Roddick fired 13 aces in the opening set (16 for the match) to Fish's 12, who finished with 17. Roddick, who saved four set points, won the set on his fifth set point. The only break in the match came in the ninth game of the second set as Roddick converted on his fifth break point chance.

Roddick led the tournament in aces (79), first serve points won (89 percent) and service games won (98 percent). He also had a first serve percentage of 70 during the week. Fish was second in aces (72).

This was the first all-American final on the ATP circuit since Aug. 17, 2003 at Tennis Masters Cincinnati where Roddick defeated Fish in a third-set tie-break (saving two match points). This was also the first all-American final in San Jose since 1998 when Agassi defeated Pete Sampras.

Roddick is the ninth player (of 23) who has ranked No. 1 in the history of the ATP Rankings (since 1973) to win the Bay Area title. The eight other former No. 1s who have won this tournament title are: John Newcombe, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, and Lleyton Hewitt.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:

Roddick: "I don't know what the numbers were today as far as first serve percentage, but it had to be close to up to 70 percent during the week. I felt like I was hitting my spots pretty well so this was definitely one of my better weeks in serving."

"It was pretty intense there for a little bit in the first set and even throughout the second set. We were just talking the other day, how a couple points here and there, and that was just magnified today in the first set."

(On playing his good friend) "I just think we know what each other is going to do out there. I think that was evident a couple of times tonight. I mean, I found myself thinking out there going against what I normally do instinctively, because he knows what I'm going to do instinctively, but then I'm like, 'OK, so he thinks that…(laughter).' "

(On the Americans rise up the rankings) "Yeah, I mean I can't go much higher so I hopefully he'll get closer. Like I said before, it's great that we're all pushing each other and by us doing well this week, it's going to make Taylor, Robby, and James want to step up sooner so they can get back in the mix and that's the way it always works. That's what made the generation before us so good. Even if they weren't as tight on a personal level, there's always competitive jealousy which, I think is a good thing. If I would have lost this week and they would have been in the finals, I would have said, 'That's great for them. Now I want to get there too.' And I think that's awesome for us to have that."

(On the first set tie-break) "It was pretty intense. But at the same time, I get a lot less nervous when I feel that I'm playing well and doing my best out there. I think when you get nervous is when you are unsure. I was just hoping I was getting a chance to hit the ball or look at it. I wasn't nervous about if I got the shot, if I thought I was going to make it or miss it. I think we were both playing pretty free in the tie break. We were coming up with big serves when we had to and it just came down to maybe one or two loose errors there."

Fish: "It was exciting, it's one of those tie-breaks where anything could happen. I think it was pretty good quality, there weren't too many errors, I think all the points pretty much ended in good shots or good points played, so it was an exciting breaker that's for sure."

(On Roddick's rapid rise to the top) "It would be tough to say that I wasn't surprised. The guy finished number one in the world last year and obviously growing up we didn't think one of us was going to be number one in the world. Maybe we would have said that we would have been Top 50 or Top 20, or who knows. We really didn't have too many thoughts about it back then. So to answer your question, yes I am surprised, a little bit, but he's definitely capable of something like that."

(On living with the Roddick family) "In 1999, I lived with his family, we had the same coach and I moved down to Boca to train with them and Andy, and there were a few other guys. We had a lot of guys come down to train with Stanford Boster."

(On the start of the season) "This kind of gets my feet wet in the season. It's pretty early. It's my third tournament of the year and to already get to a final feels pretty good. I didn't have the best Australia, obviously I couldn't have done any worse since I lost in the first round of both matches down there. It's gives me confidence knowing I can beat someone like Agassi. I kind of showed in Cincinnati that I could play with Andy. I still have yet to beat him, but we always had good matches and it just gives me confidence going into Memphis and the Masters Series tournaments."

(On his discussion with Roddick) "Yeah, I thought it was awesome. I told Andy after the match I hope we can play many more of these. I said, 'Let's do this again real soon.' And he said 'How about Memphis?' I said, 'OK.' "

(His thoughts about Roddick) "I think he's just down to earth, he's just a fun guy to be around. He's always upbeat and he always just wants to have fun. I don't think success has changed him. I mean he's in a different spotlight than I am, and a lot of the other guys around here, so it's different for him the way he has to handle himself. He can't really come out and watch us play too often, whereas I can go out and watch him play and nobody really bothers me. He's under a different microscope than I am, but he handles it perfectly, he handles it great."

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:37 AM
here's a better pic

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/180X250/roddick_memphis1.jpg

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 04:21 AM
I love tennis week's articles!
-----
Roddick Reigns In San Jose

By Brad Falkner
02/15/2004

Growing up as housemates in Boca Raton, Florida, Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish were competitive kids who continuously challenged each other in everything from tennis to basketball to pool to racing each other to school. Times have changed and the boys have grown. Instead of battling for backyard bragging rights, the old friends find themselves competing for tournament titles these days.

In tonight’s Siebel Open final, the Davis Cup teammates who have established a rivalry to watch in the future took tennis fans back to the past: the days when tennis players could share a laugh on court and a beer afterward.

In a highly-entertaining match that featured exciting exchanges — both in the shots on court and the verbal jabs in the on-court banter — the former housemates turned San Jose’s Shark Tank into their own backyard battlefield that saw the top-seeded Roddick eventually earn bragging rights over his buddy Fish with a 7-6 (13), 6-4 victory.

The reigning U.S. Open champion raised his record to 12-2 on the season in winning his first tournament title since he captured his first major in Flushing Meadows last September. Roddick owns a 6-0 record in tournament finals since hiring Bay Area resident Brad Gilbert as his coach after the 2003 Roland Garros.

Poking fun at themselves and treating the crowd to some hilarious running commentary, Roddick and Fish gave fans an idea of what it must have been like back in the day when the two lived under the same roof for a year in Roddick’s Boca Raton home.

"Mardy’s room was across the hall from mine," Roddick recalled. "We were competitive in a friendly way about everything. We used to see who could get to school the fastest, and who could finish a test first. He had a Mustang and I had an old Blazer, so you can probably figure out who go there first. We were like brothers. We would fight, then we'd walk out of the house holding hands three minutes later."

The first set offered some sensational shotmaking and strong serving from both players, who refused to permit a break between them in the first set. The set climaxed with a classic tiebreaker that had more twists and turns than a salsa contest.

The 22-year-old Fish jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the tiebreaker and eventually earned four set points. Fish’s first set point came at 8-7 on Roddick’s serve, but he could not convert. Serving for the set at 11-10, Fish quickly closed in on the net and seemed to be in position to take the set only to be denied when Roddick’s mis-hit forehand found the back of the baseline. It was then Roddick’s turn to squander a fist full of set points. At 14-13 Roddick smashed a swinging forehand volley on his fifth set point to seize the set in style.

"I was exciting; it’s one of those tiebreaks where anything could happen," Fish said. "You can get a shank backhand get in the corner of the court. I think it was pretty good quality, there weren’t too many errors, I think all the points pretty much ended in good shots or good points played, so it was an exciting breaker that’s for sure."

The quality of play brought some fans — including coach Gilbert — to their feet.

"That was one crazy tiebreaker," Gilbert said. "The crowd got way into it and it was awesome."

In the second set, the Boca brothers seemed to be headed toward their fifth tiebreak set in their four career meetings. In the second game of the second set Roddick barely got off the ground to put away a Sampras-style slam dunk overhead. "Don’t be jealous of my hops," a smiling Roddick sheepishly told Fish.

The third-ranked Roddick converted his fifth break point when Fish missed a backhand wide. It was the only break of the one-hour, 35-minute match. With the finish line in sight and Fish running out of gas, Roddick closed out the match on his second match point when a fatigued Fish netted a routine backhand.

"To be honest with you, I got a little tired," Fish admitted. "I mean my legs were starting to go a little bit. The first set was long and we were playing some good points and I think my serve just started to go. I don’t think I made as many first serves as I normally do right there at the end and that hurt me. I just got a little tired and he put one too many balls in places I couldn’t handle."

The meeting marked the first ATP all-American final since August 17th when Roddick fought off two match points to edge Fish in the Cincinnati final. Based on their performance today, the pair look poised to renew this rivalry for years to come.

"It was pretty intense there for a little bit in the first set and even throughout the second set," Roddick said. "We just talking about the other day, how a couple points here and there, and that was just magnified today in the first set."

J. Corwin
02-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Heya peoples. I thoroughly enjoyed the final. :D
I watched both the singles and doubles finals.

I got there super early. The match starts at one, and they don't open the front entrances til 12. I got there when it was 11:30. heh

Overall, I have to say I was underwhelmed by the occassion though. I guess I expected too much lol. I had seats in the grandstand (box/floor seats at the baseline), so I wasn't able to experience the full affect of the pace. Sideline tickets would have allowed me to see that better, but then angles would be sacrificed. lol. The serves were still damn fast of course. I felt that the support for Andy and Mardy were about equal.

There was a great point where Andy and Mardy were both up at the net and exchanging volleys, with Mardy winning the point. Then Mardy was holding up his serve to look at the replay screen, admiring the point. lol. Then Andy said something but I couldn't hear.

During the trophy presentation and when Andy was at the mike talking, Andy jokingly told Mardy to shut up.

Someone in the audience yelled out "how much is the check for?!", since the amount wasn't announced during the check presentation.

I wasn't able to see Mandy in the audience, but I did see her when they showed her on the jumbotron(?)...the big block thing hanging from the ceiling.

One funny side note: I didn't recognize the players practicing before the matches, so I took them to be pre-show entertainment of sorts. I thought they were some great club players or exhibitionists. Now I didn't think they were that good. lol. Turned out they were the other doubles finalists, Leach and Macfie. LOL oops

J. Corwin
02-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Oh, and I also taped the final at home, just so I could come back and see if I was caught on TV, lmao. I wasn't though...

star
02-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Oh Jackson, we were thinking of you during the match and how exciting it must have been.

Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.

Are you posting a report on RO?

If you do will you post a link here for this lazy one? :)

Havok
02-16-2004, 02:22 PM
how did it not live up to your expectations??? the seast, the level of play???:shrug:

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:42 PM
b/c you all wanted.....moooooooooore articles! I'll only post the good ones though how about that lol
-----
Roddick out toughs Fish in a classic between buddies

Andy: ‘I’m thrilled the guys are coming up. I just want to beat them when I play them’

By Matthew Cronin
tennisreporters.net

FROM THE SIEBEL OPEN IN SAN JOSE – Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish used to race cars against each other to school, take turns posting each other up and wrestled together. The Roddick household must have been a never-ending scrimmage back in 1999, when Fish was a long-term guest.

"I was convinced that my one way to school was quicker than his way," Roddick said. "We started off, mine is 22 minutes and yours sucks, yours is 25 minutes, but he had a Mustang and I had an old beat up Blazer. That was my excuse whenever he did beat me."

Andy’s paternal older bother, John, was off playing for the University of Georgia Bulldogs and Mardy was living in John’s bedroom. They competed at everything, but at the same time, they developed a team approach. Fish was a better tennis player then, but he’s not now, as evidenced by Roddick’s 7-6 (13) 6-4 victory over Mardy to win his first San Jose Open title on Sunday.

Yes, Fish proved during the week that given good health, his still evolving and tremendously improved all-court game should take him into the Top 10 by April. But Roddick is still mentally tougher and still knows with which shots he should butter his bread.

"I’m good at one on one," said Roddick reflecting on his driveway basketball days. "I can play D. I’m very physical. I kinda of go Chris Farley in the paint."

His tennis is much the same, except you need to add a high dose of offense.

Roddick conceded that Fish has a sweet jump shot in hoops. It's easy to see Fish flexing his wrist, squaring his shoulders, bending his elbow back and floating a soft 15-footer into the bottom of the net. He does much the same on the tennis court, easing himself into 128-mph serves that land deliberately inside the white lines. He has a silky smooth backhand and a stick-'em volley.

Back in 1999, when Fish lived at Roddick’s house while the two attended Boca Raton Prep together, Andy said that Mardy was the better player. It was a year before Roddick won the US Open and the 17-year-old Mardy was good enough to be thinking ahead to pro satellites.

"That was the year that he broke out and before December, when I won Orange Bowl. I was pretty confident I was going to take myself to college, "Roddick said. "He would have gotten the better of me."

Mardy Lacks Andy's Self-Belief Against the elite

But what Fish doesn’t quite have yet is Andy’s belief that he belongs there in the winner’s circle when the All-Stars show up on the other side of the court. He knows how to beat Roddick, he can’t just quite execute his plan fully.

"It was a pretty intense out there," Roddick said of the final. "We just know what each other going to do. That was evident. I found myself going against myself instinctively because he knows what I would do instinctively. but I thought, ‘I did this against him last time so he remembers that,’ so I had no idea what to do."

Essentially, what Roddick had to do was hold serve until the tiebreak and then let it all hang loose. In a simply brilliant and thrilling tiebreak, the US Open champion came up with goods when it mattered most, fighting off four set points when it appeared that Fish might stun Roddick with same all-court wizardry and boldness that he had stuck in Andre Agassi’s face the night before.

Roddick fought off a set point at 5-6 with a 130-mph second serve winner. (He said the speed gun was off and battled back another at 7-8 with a 132- mph service winner.) With Fish holding another set point at 11-10, Roddick hit a looping inside forehand return that Fish decided not to volley and he watched it clip the sideline.

Huge mistake.

"I didn’t really know what I was doing," Fish said. "First I thought it was going to go out and I thought maybe I should hit it and then I hoped it would go out. I knew it was going to be a tough volley either way."

Fish held another set point at 12-11, by Roddick buried an inside-out forehand winner, which one should never forget is the $50 bill in his game next to his crispy green and white C-note of a serve.

Roddick grabbed the first set when he cracked a 119-mph serve into Fish’s backhand and followed it up with a high swing forehand volley winner. He tore the can off the heat when he felt it necessary. "That’s my shot," he said. "I can double fault twice and still feel confident I can go for a second serve the third time. It’s the one shot I can go to every day."

In the second set, Roddick finally punched himself into one of Fish’s service games at 4-4 when he forced five break points to and took the first break of the match to 5-4 when Fished missed a backhand crosscourt.

"I got a little tired," said Fish, who had played two matches on Saturday and won the doubles title with James Blake on Sunday. "My legs started to feel it a little bit. The first set was long and we were playing some good points. My serve just started to go."

Roddick, who will surpass Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero for second place in the rankings when they are released on Monday, won the match when Fish netted a backhand.

The match was extremely tight, which the stats show: Roddick ended the match with 16 aces to 17 from Fish, hit 35 overall winners to 34 from Fish, but only committed 17 unforced errors, while his foe clanged 29.

The title was Roddick’s first since winning the US Open in September. He said it was compliment when asked whether he was pleased to have won a title for the first time in nearly four months of tournament play, but Roddick knows that if he is to catch Roger Federer, he needs to dominate the US winter and spring hardcourt season like Agassi did last year. Of the four tournaments that Roddick is entered in until April (Memphis, Scottsdale, TMS Indian Wells and TMS Miami) Roddick needs at least another two titles and at least one Tennis Masters Series crown. He is approximately 700 points behind the man he calls "Fed."

"I don’t know if I'm capable of it, but if I was capable of a big summer run, why not switch in to spring," said Roddick, who went undefeated in the 2003 summer hard court season, winning four titles. "It’s tough to get back to that level, but I feel I'm hitting the ball well, I'm serving well and I feel I'm pretty tough to beat."

Back in Boca in 1999, Roddick didn’t have a cute pop star named Mandy Moore as his girlfriend and Fish wasn’t dating a runway blonde from the Ford Modeling agency either, but they both knew they were headed toward notable lives. Fish isn’t surprised that Roddick is dating a Hollywood gal, because he knew they were both going places. "He’s a cool guy," Fish said.

WHEN BUDDIES CAN'T BASH

There have been few or no close friends in the Open era who have both become Hall of Fame players. Recent history teaches is that Alex Corretja – who’s Albert Costa best buddy and a close friend of Carlos Moya’s – will go down as very good but not great player, as he was unable to one up either of his pals at the big dance in Paris. He had more passion fore empathy for them than they had for him. Hell, even Roland Garros champs Costa and Moya may not make the hall.

The same fate could await Fish. Can he really break the mold and be Roddick’s friend while at the same time trying to step on his head?

Despite the loss at the Siebel, Fish impressed all the longtime tennis scribes in attendance who generally concur that he has by far the best chance of all the "other-than-Andy" young Americans to win a Slam. He has the weapons, and as he showed in bumping chests against Agassi, he has the proper fearless attitude.

Andy thinks they he and Mardy can leave their rivalry on the court. That remains to be seen.

"I think were close enough that even if we do have a spat or are pissed off at each other we know each other well enough to put it behind us," Roddick said. "I don’t see it becoming a problem. I’m happy if he comes up the rankings. It doesn’t make me mad, I’m thrilled the guys are coming up. I just want to beat them when I play them."

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Two friends face off at Siebel final
By ANN KILLION
San Jose Mercury News

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Judging by what happened on the court Sunday afternoon at the Siebel Open, Boca Raton, Fla., circa 1999 must have been a very dangerous place to live.

Sunday, the tennis ball was the victim, pummeled back and forth between Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish. They took out all their competitive fire on the fuzzy little orb.

But five years ago, the two took out their teenage energy on anything they could find - tennis balls, pingpong balls, the basketball court, the Boca streets. When Fish lived in the Roddick family's house, sleeping in Andy's older brother's room down the hall, about the only things spared were Mrs. Roddick's dishes.

"We usually took it outside," Roddick said.

Sunday, they took it inside, in the Siebel final at HP Pavilion. It was not the marquee matchup the tournament chairman, Barry MacKay, had drawn up on paper, because Fish had upset Andre Agassi on Saturday night. But no worries.

"This might have been better," MacKay said.

Roddick prevailed 7-6 (15-13), 6-4 in one of the best finals this longstanding tournament has seen. Not only was it a showcase of two young talents (Roddick, 21, is expected to be ranked No. 2 in the world today, while Fish, 22, should climb to No. 18) highlighted by a tense and riveting tiebreaker, but it also revealed a fun, entertaining rivalry that is great news for American tennis.

Roddick and Fish could barely keep a straight face when looking at each other across the net. Roddick knows Fish's habit when he gets new balls, though he would not reveal it publicly. He said that at some points in the match, he was outthinking himself because he knew that Fish knew that he knew what he was doing and, oh, it got too confusing. When you live with someone, you get to know him pretty well.

"We were like brothers," Roddick said. "We would fight and walk out of the house holding hands three minutes later."

As junior players in Florida, they trained with the same tennis coach and also played basketball for Boca Prep. Well, at least one of them was playing. "Andy actually sat on the bench of our high school basketball team," Fish said, needling Roddick just minutes after hoops bench-warmer Roddick had beaten him at tennis.

Fish - who came back and paired with James Blake to win the doubles championship - said that not only did Roddick have a brick for a jump shot, he also had "brick layups." That's why it was an inside joke when Roddick leaped to smash an overhead early in the second set and shouted to Fish, "Don't be jealous of my hops!"

Fish, who Roddick concedes had a sweet jumper, is not. But Roddick claims he actually won some one-on-one hoops games played on the Roddicks' tennis court.

"I was very physical," Roddick said. "I would kind of go Chris Farley in the paint."

They both were physical Sunday, combining for 33 aces (Fish edged tennis' best server 17-16) and regularly rocketing the ball across the net at more than 120 mph. Each player held serve until the ninth game of the second set, when Roddick, who failed to hold serve just once all week, finally broke Fish.

"Their points came off winners, not from mistakes," MacKay said.

There were, however, a couple of times Fish wished he was back in Roddick's back yard. "We didn't have umpires," Fish remembered. "So that backhand he hit on set point? That was out."

Roddick retorted: "He can't call his own lines out here today."

Roddick and Fish are examples of how quickly athletic dominance can assert itself. Back in Boca, they did not have any expectations that they would be challenging each other in the upper echelon of men's tennis. At the time, Fish was the superior player and Roddick was struggling.

"I think we were just hoping to become good college players," Roddick said. "I think we've definitely surprised ourselves."

Back then they were mostly worried about beating each other to school. The morning drive was just one more way to compete. Roddick was convinced his route was quicker than Fish's, but Fish had a nice Mustang, while Roddick blamed his losses on his old Blazer.

"I got behind some Boca drivers, too," Roddick added. "They came down from New York just to slow me down."

Right now, Roddick is the one cruising in tennis' fast lane. He won the U.S. Open last year and became the world No. 1 in November, a feat that led Fish to interrupt a Roddick news conference in Houston by dumping champagne on his head. Roddick has become a superstar, appearing on magazine covers and dating pop star Mandy Moore.

"That doesn't surprise me," Fish said. "He's a cool guy. I'd date him. ... He's just down to earth. I don't think success has changed him."

Roddick has not changed, but his success has changed the face of men's tennis in this country. Suddenly, instead of fretting over the departure of one generation, tennis can embrace an exciting new era and a group of close-knit and talented players who are pushing one another. Players such as Roddick and Fish have given America a great chance to win the Davis Cup again. They all know one another well enough to joke and laugh together, while still playing all-out, rocketing, riveting tennis.

"I'm thrilled the guys are coming up," Roddick said. "I just want to beat them when I play them."

In his back yard or in a Grand Slam.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 03:43 PM
This one's funny :lol:
----
Former housemates put on display at Siebel Open
David Albee
Marin Independent Journal

The final of the Siebel Open was more than just a tennis match. It was a dramatic comedy. It was "Andy and Mardy's Excellent Adventure." It had world-class intensity and down-home levity between Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish.

The two are budding rivals and best buddies, having played each other most of their lives and having actually lived together in Roddick's house one year. When they're on the court, they try to match hits and wits. It made for great theater yesterday.

"He knows what I'm thinking so we just start laughing," Roddick said. "I know if I make a joke no matter how intense the situation is he's going to get it and I don't have to worry about stepping on toes. It gives us a chance to be a little more personable and show that side of ourselves."

They were having such a blast yesterday they could have played the Siebel Open final in Brad Gilbert's back yard in San Rafael and had just as much fun.

"The thing is we probably would have been more testy if we were just playing in practice in front of nobody," Roddick said.

Instead, they were playing in front of 7,784 thoroughly entertained fans at San Jose Arena.

Their 15-13 first-set tiebreaker was a classic.

"With all the action and the camaraderie and the sportsmanship. It doesn't get much better than that," said tournament chairman Barry MacKay. "It was a great atmosphere. If I'm a first-time casual sports fan and I come out to see that, I'm going to say 'I want to see more of that.'"

The crowd was captivated by the aggressive shot-making and good-natured kidding. But Roddick and Fish weren't trying to outhit each other as much as they were trying to outthink the other.

"We just know what each other is going to do out there," Roddick said. "I find myself thinking out there, going against what I normally would do instinctively because he knows what I would do instinctively, but then I'm like 'OK, but he thinks I'm going to, but then you did this against him last time and he remembers that.' So I have no idea what I'm doing."

So Roddick and Fish do what comes naturally to them. Last year, in the midst of a tiebreaker in Cincinnati, they had a rapid-fire rally at the net that ended with a magnificent point that pleased both of them so much they exchanged high-fives at the net when the point was over.

They were friendly rivals again yesterday. Roddick and Fish ended their morning practice sessions by staging home run derbies. They hit tennis balls pitched to them by their respective coaches as far as they could into the upper deck at the arena. Then, an hour before their championship match, Roddick and Fish were teasing each other and each other's girlfriends in the players lounge.

Once the match started, however, their fierce competitive instincts took over. They started launching bombs at each other like the Yankees and Red Sox and they didn't want anybody butting in.

At deuce in the seventh game of the first set, Roddick thought he had an ace on a 109 mph serve and Fish thought he had been aced, but chair umpire Steve Ullrich of Tampa overruled, saying a serving sensor at courtside had detected a net cord.

"Why did we seem confused? We were ready for the next point," Roddick snapped at Ullrich. "Why don't you turn the machine off and use your brain?"

Roddick then proceeded to hit his next serve, clocked at 111 mph, for an ace.

Five games later, with Fish serving, he won a crowd-pleasing, five-volley flurry at the net against Roddick. Fish pumped his fist then took a moment to look up and admire the point being video replayed on the overhead scoreboard.

"Did I do any better that time?" Roddick quipped, awaiting Fish's next serve.

Then, after being relieved of the pressure of an incredible tiebreaker, Roddick poked fun at himself again at Fish's expense when he approached the net and jumped to hit an overhead in the second set.

"Don't be jealous of my hops," said Roddick, looking across at Fish before hitting his next serve.

Fish became familiar with Roddick's leaping ability, or lack of it, when they played basketball on the tennis court in Roddick's back yard in Boca Raton. They had the same coach (Stanford Boster), so Fish moved from Minnesota to Florida to live with Roddick during his junior year of high school and stayed in the bedroom of Roddick's older brother.

"We were like brothers," Roddick said Wednesday after winning his first-round match. "We would fight and walk out the house holding hands three minutes later."

They'd bicker and banter about whom was best at what. Fish apparently was the better basketball player.

"He (Roddick) would brick layups," Fish said.

"I'm good at one-on-one because I can play defense," Roddick replied. "I'm very physical. I'm kind of like (late "Saturday Night Live" co-star) Chris Farley in the paint."

The two attended the same high school, Boca Raton Preparatory, when they were seniors, but their shenanigans never ceased.

"We weren't any different than any other high school kids playing in any sport," Fish said. "We played a lot. We would race (cars) to school we were so competitive with each other."

That started after Roddick and Fish got their driver's licenses.

"I was convinced that my one way to school was quicker than his way," Roddick said. "But he had a Mustang and I had an old beat-up Blazer, so that was my excuse whenever he did beat me. Or I got behind some Boca drivers, too, that came down from New York just to specifically slow me down."

Eventually, Roddick's career took off. He started dating a Hollywood starlet and pop star, Mandy Moore.

"He's a cool guy. I'd date him," Fish quipped.

Then Roddick won the U.S. Open and he became the No. 1 ranked player in the world. The day Roddick's No. 1 ranking became official, Fish was there in Houston to pour champagne over Roddick's head at the announcement.

Now Fish is in search of some bubbly. He's a year older than Roddick but about 20 or so spots behind him in the ATP rankings. Still, Fish made enough of an impression and enough strides this week in San Jose to close the gap between him and Roddick. Roddick insists that won't effect their relationship off the court.

"Even if we do have a spat or are (peeved) off at each other, we know each other to come back two days later and put it behind us," Roddick said. "I don't see it becoming a problem. I'm happy he's coming up the rankings. It doesn't make me mad and I'm not upset about it. I hope he goes even further. I just want to beat him when I play him."

Most excellent.

star
02-16-2004, 04:41 PM
MORE evidence.

"He's a cool guy. I'd date him."

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 05:32 PM
so the two pretty girlfriends are just a ruse!!!

star
02-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Of course.

tangerine_dream
02-16-2004, 08:11 PM
jackson, welcome back! I'm sorry you seemed kinda disappointed by the match. I hope you're going to write up a little report on RO and that you got some good pictures (*ahem* better than mine that's for sure). ;)

Hey bunk, can I borrow your Siebel tape after you view it? I'll send you a box o' chocolates for your trouble. :D

J. Corwin
02-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Nah I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed it and would love to go again next year. :D

I'll do a little write up for RO soon.
And I'll share the pictures, but the quality is horrendous. Blurry pics for the most part and I couldn't zoom in enough.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 08:25 PM
tangy of course you can. I won't be getting it til next week sometime since FoxSports NE isn't showing it til Thursday and then my parents will send it to me. I'll do ANYTHING for CHOCOLATE (as long as it's dark, not white and not filled with anything fruity ;))

Jace I'm so glad you had a good time!!

We want to put up ANY pics, from BOTH of you. If we think they're sooooooo horrible that they're just not worth it, we can always take them down. But I don't think that's really the case. So get going both of you ;)

star
02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Godiva Dark Chocolates.

With caramel, nougat, and nut fillings. Nothing fruity.

Havok
02-16-2004, 09:57 PM
the icing on the cake:
and we left the house holding hands:tape:
but OMFG DEATH:haha::haha::haha: don't be jealous of my hops DIES:haha::haha:

Deboogle!.
02-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Godiva Dark Chocolates.

With caramel, nougat, and nut fillings. Nothing fruity.

Yes, yes please!!! :)

tangerine_dream
02-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Jace, your photography skills sound about as good as mine. :lol:

J. Corwin
02-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Thank god I'm not interested in photography. :lol:

J. Corwin
02-17-2004, 06:23 AM
Be sure to check out my full write-up about my Siebel Open experience at RO. It's in the Editorials section. :)

MisterQ
02-17-2004, 06:33 AM
Just read it, jackson! congrats, it's a great write-up -- very thorough. Oh, and that kid imitating Agassi, he's a cool kid. :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-17-2004, 03:05 PM
yay can't wait to read it Jace! :banana:

tangerine_dream
02-17-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm lovin' my new Guide to Professional Tennis manual but Kendrick isn't listed. :confused: It must be because he's not in the Top 100.

And I got my first issue to Tennis Week with the Guide and guess who's on the cover? That evil Maratski! :ras:

Hee! I think I'll sell it on Ebay, the Safinsluts will pay good money for this issue. :devil:

BTW, since Mardy made the Siebel finals, how many points does he jump up in the championship race? :bounce:

Havok
02-17-2004, 08:02 PM
lol tangerine. maybe you'll get some good money from a safinslut, who knows:shrug: and regarding Fish: his entry ranking is 19, and he's #35 on the champs race (26 points)

J. Corwin
02-17-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm lovin' my new Guide to Professional Tennis manual but Kendrick isn't listed. :confused: It must be because he's not in the Top 100.

I checked in my Guide and he's listed. He's in the "Other Prominent Players" section at the end of the regular players section...cuz he's been decided as a lesser player. ;)

Havok
02-17-2004, 10:46 PM
how big is this book??? is it the one that Andy was signing for some fans at the begining of the year with him on the cover, and justine on the back??? is it worth buying if i happen to stumble across one

andyroxmysox12191
02-18-2004, 01:06 AM
jackson, great review!!! it made me want to kill all the tv place thingys even more since we didnt get it over here. lol

J. Corwin
02-18-2004, 03:01 AM
Aww, thanks guys lol.

And Naldo, yes it is that book and it most definitely IS worth buying!!

tangerine_dream
02-18-2004, 05:37 AM
*sniff* Nobody said anything about MY reports. :bigcry: :sobbing:

andyroxmysox12191
02-18-2004, 12:00 PM
aw :smooch: we loved yours too tangy! :hug:

Deboogle!.
02-18-2004, 02:36 PM
tangy your report was AMAZING, I felt like I was there!!!!!!!!!

J. Corwin
02-19-2004, 01:31 AM
you're report was great, Tangy. :D

Mines boring compared to yours...just ask Proph. lol

tangerine_dream
02-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Aaaw. Thanks guys! You make me feel better. :) :hug:

star
02-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Tangy, I missed yours. :(

Deboogle!.
02-20-2004, 02:19 PM
star, it's at RO in the Exclusives section

star
02-20-2004, 04:10 PM
When I have more time, I'll pour through the site. You know how helpless I am. I have trouble decoding that site. It takes me time.

tangerine_dream
02-20-2004, 04:34 PM
star, here's a direct link:

http://www.roddickonline.com/index.php?exclusives

:)

Deboogle!.
02-20-2004, 04:59 PM
lol why do you have trouble decoding the site. Do you have any suggestions for Prophetic that would help that?

Deboogle!.
02-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Here's a nice wrapup from the Siebel Open site:

Angles & Dropshots Sunday, February 15
By: Joel Drucker

One of the more unique qualities of tennis is its individualism and the manner in which opponents connect with one another. Through the heat of competition, competitors form peculiar relationships, requiring both a mix of disdain, respect and the recognition that together, they are creating something in partnership – even as they seek to step on one another.

A refreshing example of this principle took place in the finals of the Siebel Open. Deep into the first set, with Mardy Fish serving at 5-6, 30-30, he and Andy Roddick engaged in a rapid-fire exchange at net that was won by Fish. After the point was over, each looked at one another with the familiarity only longstanding friends can share. What the heck was that? Dude, that's just like what you did during that ping-pong game we played five years ago. An amused Fish looked up at the replay on the H-P Pavilion's large screen monitors. Roddick, chomping to return serve, fired back, "Did I do any better on that one." Clearly, it's a new era in American tennis.

One generation earlier, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang were slated for greatness in early puberty. They rapidly realized these expectations too, each reaching Slam finals by age 20. When you're that high up the mountain, there's only so much room. Expectation and competition made it hard for this quartet to warm up to one another.

With Roddick and Fish it's quite different. Neither of them truly expected to be a pro – much less play Davis Cup – until he was well into his teens. And because of that, these two one-time housemates have been able to grow into their professional careers more as friends than as foes. It's a mix of the new and the old. On the new side, there's so much money in the sport that they've been able to relax about that issue (particularly, of course, Roddick). But in many ways, the texture of the Roddick-Fish relationship is a throwback to the vintage Australians who beat the stuffing out of each other by day and dined by night. "It's genuine," says Roddick's coach, Brad Gilbert, "these guys really like each other." Credit Roddick for remaining self-deprecating and respectful of Fish (and other opponents). Credit Fish for a week of rapid improvements -- and going on later that evening to take the doubles with James Blake. We will see more.

Deboogle!.
02-20-2004, 06:49 PM
:dance: :banana: :woohoo:

My parents mailed me the tape with the final today!! Then I'll be able to make videos and stuff! :aparty:

tangerine_dream
02-20-2004, 09:00 PM
:woohoo: bunk!!

Havok
02-20-2004, 10:39 PM
she's our savior when it comes to videos of matches:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
02-20-2004, 10:44 PM
hahaha awwww *blushing*

Deboogle!.
02-26-2004, 05:24 AM
I just saw the final, FINALLY! It really was as good as everyone made it sound :)

Naldo you'd be happy to know I was still nervous during the TB even though I knew the result.. but it really was SO GOOD!!

Mardy came up with some absolutely amazing shots throughout the match. I was like :eek: how did he do that? If he hadn't been tired at the end I think it would've been pretty damn tough for Andy to pull it out!

Oh and during the coverage they also showed bits of the SF v. Kendrick, and Andy both practicing with BG and a little bit of him as coach. Their interviews after the match were the best. When Mardy found out he out-aced Andy... :haha: Can't wait to make videos. Will try like hell to get them done before I leave for vacaaaaaaaaaaaation

J. Corwin
02-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Yay for you seeing it!

You get Spring Break so much earlier than me. :(

Deboogle!.
02-26-2004, 02:55 PM
yea..... they made it a week earlier this year than last year. But it's right in the middle of our semester. I started classes a lot earlier than you remember? ;)

Havok
02-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Naldo you'd be happy to know I was still nervous during the TB even though I knew the result.. but it really was SO GOOD!!
OMFG:haha::haha: you know the exact result of the tie-break and you were still shitting bricks:haha: aw bunk, you'll get used to them at least i hope:hug: and i still got 2 more weeks to go till Spring Break. lucky me mine was also changed, and it coinsides with my Indian Wells coverage:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
02-26-2004, 06:46 PM
I was not still shitting bricks but I was entrhalled by it and still got jumpy lol.

Havok
02-26-2004, 10:10 PM
bah you know what i meant

J. Corwin
02-27-2004, 09:46 AM
BOTH of you have Spring Breaks that start earlier than mine then. Grrr. lol

Deboogle!.
02-27-2004, 09:22 PM
OK.... videos are up at RO. some really great stuff. The highlights file is huge lol

Havok
02-27-2004, 10:26 PM
and have fun during your Spring Break bunk:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
02-27-2004, 10:44 PM
:) you're welcome.

There's a great little bit in the very beginning of the final highlights video from the opening little thing they did. Mardy hits his forehead with the racket and you can see him rub it and say ouch LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MisterQ
02-27-2004, 11:33 PM
:) you're welcome.

There's a great little bit in the very beginning of the final highlights video from the opening little thing they did. Mardy hits his forehead with the racket and you can see him rub it and say ouch LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you guys ever whacked yourself in the head while playing? I have done this, and it was both embarassing and funny. I was actually bleeding, lol!

Deboogle!.
02-28-2004, 01:20 AM
awwwwww poor Q :hug:

but :haha: LOL

I've never really played enough tennis to have a reason to whack myself lol. It was really funny seeing Mardy do it though ;)

J. Corwin
02-28-2004, 11:12 AM
I've done all sorts of stuff from playing tennis lol. I've done some embarassing stuff...

tangerine_dream
02-29-2004, 04:52 PM
I've never really played enough tennis to have a reason to whack myself lol. It was really funny seeing Mardy do it though ;)

:haha: Mardy. D'oh!

Speaking of whacking yourself, I wish I could've seen Andy hit himself in the head with his racket during his Paris match against Henman a while back. He's such a doofus, I can see Andy doing this a lot: throw racket, hit self in head, repeat. :haha:

star
02-29-2004, 06:14 PM
It's like a metaphor for life. :)

J. Corwin
02-29-2004, 11:10 PM
yay for fellow doofuses :)