Tennis Popularity [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Popularity

Pfloyd
09-01-2006, 09:22 PM
I went to the ESPN website earlier today and I found a poll that asked (this is an approximation of what the poll actually asked):

Which sport are you going to watch this weekend?

NASCAR

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

MLB PLAYOFFS

US OPEN TENNIS

FIBA BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Of course, college football won with something like 70% of the vote, next came MLB Playoffs with 14%, and tennis came in third with a mere 7%. This made me wonder: Is tennis a sport that is losing it overall popularity in the states? And, even more important: Is tennis gaining, or losing popularity as a world wide sport? I mean, one has to look at the doubles and mixed doubles tournament, they almost have no fan base follwing them. This is obvious, since the ATP is desperatley trying to increase the popularity of doubles events by changing its rules, etc.

It seems obvious that one of the reasons for which tennis is losing some spectators is that they simply do not have many good players left in the tour. Andre's retiring, and Roddick can be hardly classified as a good tennis players by American standards (McEnroe, Connors, Sampras, Courier, etc,etc)

The ATP Website woudnt be a good website to visit IMO, to find out this information. I fear that this website might slightly distort its stats in order to attract more sponsors to pay for tournaments and such.

Clara Bow
09-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I think that tennis has lost much of its former popularity in the US, but is gaining in popularity in other parts of the world.

But- it seems like it reached a nadir around 2 years ago and is actually being covered a little more. The ratings for the ATP grand slams have increased this year over last- not hugely, but a bit. Baby steps....baby steps....

ezekiel
09-01-2006, 10:08 PM
I said before that tennis problem is that it's led by old men who either don't see the problem or don't know how or care to fix it. They refuse to let the game grow and change and instead stick with traditions. They need someone like David Stern that has a vision and energy to effect change. The game has gotten stale predictable and boring.

The hawkeye and coaching changes were long overdue and welcomed but we need more changes . Something has to be done with weather delays because it's a real turnoff to see games not played due to unpredictable things like weather.

lucashg
09-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I said before that tennis problem is that it's led by old men who either don't see the problem or don't know how or care to fix it. They refuse to let the game grow and change and instead stick with traditions. They need someone like David Stern that has a vision and energy to effect change. The game has gotten stale predictable and boring.

The hawkeye and coaching changes were long overdue and welcomed but we need more changes . Something has to be done with weather delays because it's a real turnoff to see games not played due to unpredictable things like weather.

Mr. Disney, is that you? :rolleyes: :o

marti_228
09-01-2006, 10:42 PM
I think that in the US tennis has lost popularity. Maybe this is not a good example but this year I've been there and I saw a lot of tennis courts. Most of them were empty or there were playing old people.

soothsayer
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
I think tennis is actually gaining popularity in Canada... at least in the last year or two. Having a top Canadian player would definitely help as well. In the US, tennis would probably be more popular if there were more Americans at the top of the game. Roddick is pretty good, but not at the level of Agassi, Conners, etc. and in my opinion his style isn't exactly the most exciting to watch.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I think that in the US tennis has lost popularity. Maybe this is not a good example but this year I've been there and I saw a lot of tennis courts. Most of them were empty or there were playing old people.
it's getting really hard to find open courts around my area. unless i want to go at 2:00 pm in the punishing sun and nearly 100 degree heat, I'm pretty much SOL. so I think it's steadily gaining popularity. sure, older people are around, but pretty much only in the morning. evening players are mostly younger.

in the US, tennis will never beat out football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. Soccer is really gaining popularity fast around my town. I know lots of people playing in indoor soccer leagues and there are many indoor soccer centers going up all over the place around here. if only tennis would catch on like that. as it is, if I don't live in a neighborhood with a private court, I have to go public. And the only private clubs I could join are way too expensive for me right now. sucks.

partygirl
09-01-2006, 11:41 PM

yes, but part of the difference to tennis than any other sport is its manner & tradition, wimbledon is arguably the most traditional & the most popular.

I would like to see modern improvement too.

i've noticed a lot of young people playing tennis here (silicon valley) that is always good to see.
i just hate how tennis in the US is so bottom shelf.:sobbing:

Sharad1982
09-01-2006, 11:56 PM
in my area there are quite a few tennis courts that are really busy
cabin john tennis courts have a lot of regulars! in potomac, MD area

dmit424
09-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Aussie Open is making a huge advance with retractable roofs, IMO.

JW10S
09-02-2006, 02:50 AM
In some European and South American countries tennis is the second most popular sport behind soccer. In the US tennis has always lagged behind football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR, etc--and it will always be that way. However many tournaments in the US have shown increased attendance and higher TV ratings over the last couple years. According to industry stats tennis equipment sales have increased over the last few years and you see tennis depicted often in TV commercials these days where the products advertised have nothing to do with tennis. Tennis will never be a major sport in the US but there have been encouraging signs for the industry the last couple years.