Roger Federer defeats Tim Henman 6:3 6:4 7:5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Federer defeats Tim Henman 6:3 6:4 7:5

Andre♥
09-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Great job!

LLeytonRules
09-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I hope Fed doesnt play another 11 a.m match, it looks like was on 2 second gear, like he was bored.This match was over 2 hours, should habe been less then that.

Naranoc
09-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Aww, Tim can no longer say he has a winning h2h over Federer. :D But for people who watched the match, is Federer back to playing his regular standard of play, or is he still looking a bit off?

fedpras
Did you see the between the legs shot? Why did he do that? It's like he was treating the match like a practice session.

Adler
it looks like [Fed]was on 2 second gear, like he was bored

Agree. Tim was good at attacking to the net, but it was all from him. Also, he made that many mistakes that Federer didn't have to raise his game's level

rofe
I hope Fed doesnt play another 11 a.m match, it looks like was on 2 second gear, like he was bored.This match was over 2 hours, should habe been less then that.

Heh, the early start could be a factor. Both of them must have watched the Agassi match last night. Not much energy from either of them.

nobama
09-01-2006, 06:31 PM
This is one time I wouldn't have minded USA switching away from Roger's match. :lol: I hope his next round match isn't like this.

rofe
09-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Aww, Tim can no longer say he has a winning h2h over Federer. :D But for people who watched the match, is Federer back to playing his regular standard of play, or is he still looking a bit off?

I watched the first set and he looked like he was cruising but according to some posters he was a bit off but still good enough to pull through in straight sets.

magnoliaewan
09-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Did you see the between the legs shot? Why did he do that? It's like he was treating the match like a practice session.

Glad he did that shot, it was so entertaining.

Billabong
09-01-2006, 06:34 PM
yah he was a bit off, but we've seen a lot worse believe me;) He was still solid today, again too good for Tim.

fedpras
09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Glad he did that shot, it was so entertaining.

Yeah, it was kind of funny, but it's just that he really didn't need to. It's like he was bored.

doublebackhand
09-01-2006, 06:37 PM
it was mentioned that Roger requested the early start, wonder why? mirka wanna go shopping or something?
about his game, it wasnt off, its good enough as he obviously wasnt trying very hard. one break in each set was enough. when he was double-break up in the 2nd and serving for it, he hit the only double-fault.

nobama
09-01-2006, 06:38 PM
it was mentioned that Roger requested the early start, wonder why? mirka wanna go shopping or something?
about his game, it wasnt off, its good enough as he obviously wasnt trying very hard. one break in each set was enough. when he was double-break up in the 2nd and serving for it, he hit the only double-fault.Maybe he did because there was a chance of rain later today? Because in his post match interview he said he preferred to play at night. Obviously the USTA was smart enough to put a better match on at night. At least I hope it will be a better match. :unsure:

ChloeLove
09-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Not a great match for Roger, but still entertaining.

What was with Rogers forehand? I couldn't believe how many errors came out of his forehand side today. Maybe he was just being lazy, I don't know, but it wasn't great tennis from him today. The shot between the legs though, that was amazing, haha.

Samuel
09-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I think you could see that he wasn't giving 100%...because in the third set he suddenly rose his level and made 2 aces in a row when it was needed.
Still I think it was a decent game.
Good job Roger.

LCeh
09-01-2006, 06:41 PM
it was mentioned that Roger requested the early start, wonder why?

That's interesting. Never knew that. After the match he did say that he prefers playing at night, so I wonder why he did that also.

Gotta give Tim some credits though. He made the second half of the match competitive, but both men lacked energy. Roger will have to play better when he plays stronger baseline players, ie. Ferrero in the fourth round.

Adler
09-01-2006, 06:47 PM
What was with Rogers forehand? I couldn't believe how many errors came out of his forehand side today.
It's always like that. Something is always wrong with Roger's forehand. He makes lots of UEs by whipping his FH. Still, he wins over 90% of his matches :D

fererrodf
09-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Nothing fantastic from Federer. Was very business-like in this match. Didn't miss much for those who can't catch this match.

Come on Federer!

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 07:01 PM
easy routine win.
all the Fedstar cares about during the first week of slams... let the rest play the dramatic nail biting encounters. :p

Henman... well, you have arsed around long enough, play more tournaments and stop the excuses... get some kind of decent ranking back and you wont get these disgraceful draws.

el güero
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Tim was a big disappointment, he seemed to have a losing mentality from the beginning till the end. It's not that I would have given him a chance to win it, but Tim looked like he didn't even try to make it competitive out there. That surely had an effect on Roger's performance as well - it's hard to get in groove and concentrate when the other guy is not pumped up at all from facing the world number one. By far the most boring and uncompetitive match in the tournament.

Neely
09-01-2006, 07:36 PM
It was a complete stroll, though at some times it showed some good points. Henman once did well against Federer, but I think he is over the top and will probably never come close again to defeat a concentrated and not-injured Federer.

landoud
09-01-2006, 07:57 PM
congrats Roger

Fergie
09-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Well done Rogi! :yeah:

musefanatic
09-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Great win Roger, didn't see the whole match but loved the shot between the legs!! :) Tim wasn't whitewashed which i suppose is one thing good to come out of it eh!!

ASP0315
09-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Congrats Roger.
Tim put a better fight against Federer than he did at wimbledon. He should be proud of that.

Hank777
09-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Fedex was still in Tim's head, you could tell, by the end of the 2nd he had shaken it off though.

I thought the between-the-leg shots was a tad arrogant to say the least :confused: anyway.

Henman should not try to play Federer from the baseline, but it was hard for Tim to come to net at times, and Federer pulled out some strong passing shots...

Tim's got game, but I dunno, somehow ... maybe he should play serve & volley all the time, Sampras style. :)

Contrary 2 Wimbie, I thought could leave the court with his head held high, nice effort Tim!! :cool:

ASP0315
09-02-2006, 01:08 AM
It was a complete stroll, though at some times it showed some good points. Henman once did well against Federer, but I think he is over the top and will probably never come close again to defeat a concentrated and not-injured Federer.
5 out of 6 wins against Federer came on Indoor courts. But during that time federer is a serve and volleyer. Now he became a baseline player and enjoys playing passing shots. :) . He makes very low returns which troubles serve and volleyers and is deadly from the baseline. So only a fews players like Nadal, Nalbandian etc can handle his baseline play. Although Nalbandian lost last five out of six meetings most of them are very close. In Rome Fed won in the third set tiebreak and in French Open Nalby was injured.(he dominated him the first two sets.).

Corey Feldman
09-02-2006, 01:22 AM
thought the between-the-leg shots was a tad arrogant to say the least Perhaps...
he better not pull that stunt in tougher matches.
but its always a nice moment when it comes of :)

scoobs
09-02-2006, 01:26 AM
the between-the-leg shot came about because he didn't move out of the way of the volley and that was his only chance of keeping the ball in play.

Maybe Rogi requested an early start so he could get his match out of the way before the rain came? He wanted to get his R2 done so he's not forced to play a bunch together after the expected rain delays.

Ruski
09-02-2006, 01:34 AM
As expected, a straight sets victory!
But I expected more, like a bagel!!!!

NATAS81
09-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Toys - R - Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDbwW8M8_XY

If you're as skilled as Federer and you can pull off a shot like that, it's gotta play into the other guy's mind somehow, so why not?

rofe
09-02-2006, 04:40 AM
the between-the-leg shot came about because he didn't move out of the way of the volley and that was his only chance of keeping the ball in play.

Exactly. Nothing to do with arrogance.

Regenbogen
09-02-2006, 04:44 AM
I sat in front of the TV for almost the entire match but I don't remember any of it :help:

Well done Roger :)