Gasguet, Nadal or Roddick to play Federer in Final? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasguet, Nadal or Roddick to play Federer in Final?

Jaffas85
09-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Gasguet, Roddick and Nadal are all in the same part of the draw and I would have to say that based on current performances that Gasquet would have to be the favourite to play against Federer in the final.

I believe Gasquet and Roddick will meet up in the quarters where Gasquet will prolly win in 4 sets as he is a better all round player while Nadal's 'King Of Clay' dominance won't be able to translate well enough to defeat Gasquet at his best.

What do you all think?

richie21
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Gasquet :)

edit: wow very close poll until now....as expected though. :)

Norrage
09-01-2006, 10:24 AM
This will be really exciting half of the draw if you ask me...I am really interested who will emerge, but I agree it will probably come down to these 3, maybe even Agassi or Hewitt too ;)

delsa
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Nadal.

Rgask
09-01-2006, 10:48 AM
:devil: Its gonna b Richieeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Egag
09-01-2006, 11:15 AM
i pray Gasquet

(That rymes lol)

landoud
09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I hope its Roddick... if not I hope Andre :)

vincayou
09-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Richie is unknown quantity at this level. So far so good, but the real test will only start in 4th round (I assume he will beat the other swiss from Basel).

I'd say Roddick, but these three are not the only favourite to reach the final (Agassi, Hewitt or Djokovic come to mind).

oz_boz
09-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Nadal has looked extremely strong so far, Horna did well but never really stood a chance.

Puschkin
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
i pray Gasquet

(That rymes lol)

It doesn't, unless pronounced in a non-french way;) Heart hopes Richard, brain says Roddick.

Kristine_cy
09-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Gasquet, I hope.

Chocobo
09-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Roddick or Gasquet would both make great finalists

But please not Nadal! :mad:

and what about Agassi? :aplot:

DrJules
09-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Think Roddick.

He will be outplayed by Nadal in semi-final, but will win because of his serve keeping him in the match.

Sven
09-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Malisse? nah, that would be expecting too much...
of those I'd say: Nadal

Pfloyd
09-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Rafa!!!

Blue Heart24
09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Andre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agassi!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Heart24
or MARAT

Blue Heart24
ups,Marat in semis....

Cervantes
09-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Nadal has looked extremely strong so far, Horna did well but never really stood a chance.

I must have seen a totally different match. Nadal was far from impressive imo. However since there's nobody who can beat him in his quarter he will reach the semis. And once in the semis I favor him over Roddick, Gasquet, Hewitt or Djokovic.

Another Fed-Nadal final coming up.

Scotso
09-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Nadal.

fererrodf
09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Roddick has the best chance simply because he's on fire after winning cinny. With the re-found confidence, his now-again reliable serve, his improved and more consistent backhand, and the US crowd fervent support, Roddick's gotta be to favourite going into the final.

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-01-2006, 05:58 PM
The Fed Killa :D

DrJules
09-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Has Federer been given a bye into the final.

Pfloyd
09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Roddick wont beat Nadal, if Nadal plays well, you can be sure of that.

jenanun
09-01-2006, 08:19 PM
if roddick vs nadal --> nadal
if gasquet vs nadal --> gasquet

but i think
if roddick vs gasquet --> roddick

so my vote is

NADAL.....

richie21
09-01-2006, 08:24 PM
if roddick vs nadal --> nadal
if gasquet vs nadal --> gasquet

but i think
if roddick vs gasquet --> roddick
so my vote is

NADAL.....

would just like to know why you think that Roddick will beat Gasquet.
the Gasquet we saw play at Toronto will beat Roddick if he faces him ,mark my words.
his all around game will be too much for Roddick

Pfloyd
09-01-2006, 08:51 PM
If Gasquet beats Roddick, Nadal will beat Gasquet. I believe that Roddick would be a tougher matchup for Nadal than Gasquet.

jenanun
09-01-2006, 09:14 PM
would just like to know why you think that Roddick will beat Gasquet.
the Gasquet we saw play at Toronto will beat Roddick if he faces him ,mark my words.
his all around game will be too much for Roddick

gasquet maybe able to beat roddick anywhere but not in NY, not in US open

If Gasquet beats Roddick, Nadal will beat Gasquet. I believe that Roddick would be a tougher matchup for Nadal than Gasquet.

I am thinking the opposite.... nadal can handle roddick, but probably not gasquet... but maybe the best of 5 set match will favour nadal.....

Jagermeister
09-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Sticking with Rishard (altho I would like it to be Rafa). Don't mind if Roddick makes it either

As long as it's not the Bald One. I'm scared to even think of the ridiculous spectacle that would take place if that nightmare scenario comes to pass.

Longshot
09-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I hope it will be Gasquet. I doubt it will be Roddick. I fear it will be Rafa.

Norrage
09-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Has there ever been this close a poll? ever? :D

doris_hdz
09-01-2006, 10:25 PM
please Andre Agassi or A rod..but no nadal

richie21
09-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Has there ever been this close a poll? ever? :D

i don t think so! :eek:
a bit expected though :)

anyway,personnally i would love to see a Gasquet-Nadal 1/2 final just because that would be the first time they would face each other in a really big big game.( a GS 1/2 final is really a much bigger game than a MS 1/2 final)
it would be a very fascinating match ,especially considering it would be on hard,a surface where Nadal is much less dominant.

Rgask
09-01-2006, 11:10 PM
:angel: I wish richie could maintain his level through-out the tournament...Lets just hope....Go riri......

R.Federer
09-01-2006, 11:23 PM
No Agassi in the mix? No Murray?

Jaffas85
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM

Agassi and Murray are in Federer's part of the draw so they're not included because it's more than likely Federer will just dominant his half of the draw and make the final.

I just checked the polls and they're really really close. Originally Gasquet was trailing but now he's just leading.

I still feel that Gasquet would be the more likely player to make the final over Nadal and Roddick considering his current form and his "junior Federer-esque" like ability.

Also, I can't see Nadal beating Gasquet on a fast hardcourt surface.

dmit424
09-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Gasquet will be taken out by either Hewitt or Djokovic.

imo

dmit424
09-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Who the heck is voting? How can people sincerely collectively give Gasquet the same chance as Nadal and Roddick? I think Hewitt/Djokovic/Agassi/Nadal/Roddick would all beat him at this point. Some of those matches would be close, but I don't think Gasquet would beat any of them right now.

Pfloyd
09-02-2006, 12:42 AM
This is ridiculous, you guys are giving Roddick and Gasquet a better chance of reaching the US Open final than Nadal? I dont remember the last time Gasquet beat Federer in haedcourt, and I dont seem to remember if Roddick beat Federer in hardcourt twice.

Jagermeister
09-02-2006, 01:13 AM
This is ridiculous, you guys are giving Roddick and Gasquet a better chance of reaching the US Open final than Nadal? I dont remember the last time Gasquet beat Federer in haedcourt, and I dont seem to remember if Roddick beat Federer in hardcourt twice.

What does their H2H against Federer have to do with them getting to the final?

R.Federer
09-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Agassi and Murray are in Federer's part of the draw so they're not included because it's more than likely Federer will just dominant his half of the draw and make the final.

I think Agassi is in the other half

World Beater
09-02-2006, 05:21 AM
What does their H2H against Federer have to do with them getting to the final?

lafuria is becoming a first class rafatard.

if roddick plays his best, he will beat nadal at his best. Its pretty simple because roddick plays a much more offensive game. Good offensive game always beats good defense on a fast court. not to say that nadal cant play offensively, but i just cant see him returning roddick's serve all that well, and if roddick is having a good day from the ground, he can overpower nadal.

now the probability that roddick will play his best is lower than nadal playing his best given that roddick plays riskier tennis. so nadal still may win.

I think if agassi is healthy enough to play w/ the same intensity he did last night. Nadal will reach the final. Agassi will beat roddick playing the way he did last night in the first two sets, but he wont beat nadal.

jenanun
09-02-2006, 05:43 AM
lafuria is becoming a first class rafatard.

if roddick plays his best, he will beat nadal at his best. Its pretty simple because roddick plays a much more offensive game. Good offensive game always beats good defense on a fast court. not to say that nadal cant play offensively, but i just cant see him returning roddick's serve all that well, and if roddick is having a good day from the ground, he can overpower nadal.

now the probability that roddick will play his best is lower than nadal playing his best given that roddick plays riskier tennis. so nadal still may win.

I think if agassi is healthy enough to play w/ the same intensity he did last night. Nadal will reach the final. Agassi will beat roddick playing the way he did last night in the first two sets, but he wont beat nadal.

no way....
the only advantage roddick has is that they are playing in the US....

World Beater
09-02-2006, 06:11 AM
no way....
the only advantage roddick has is that they are playing in the US....

you are being :silly: if you think roddick's only advantage is usa.

I will qualify what i said though, and say that in the future nadal's return game may improve and his offensive game will as well. If that happens, then nadal may become better at his best. right now, i say no.

Leo
09-02-2006, 06:34 AM
What a close poll!

I think Gasquet is on fire and will make the finals.

case
09-02-2006, 06:35 AM
Sticking with Rishard (altho I would like it to be Rafa). Don't mind if Roddick makes it either

As long as it's not the Bald One. I'm scared to even think of the ridiculous spectacle that would take place if that nightmare scenario comes to pass.

:haha: it is scary isn't it!

hope its richard but i think his nerves will destroy him.
he still seems skitish to me- next year he will take it all.

Pfloyd
09-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Yes I do like Rafa, but to call me a "tard" would be over doing it. I've always stated that Federer is better than Nadal, and that Nadal is more prone to upset. Now, if you tell me, Blake will beat Nadal, i'd have to say, based on recent match history, our right, but to say that Roddick will blow Nadal out of the court or that gasquet will beat Nadal on hardcout is extreme, wait for it to happen first. Nadal is #2 by a long shot, so, lets just wait and see.

delsa
09-02-2006, 07:07 AM
LOL at the Gasquet hype. :rolleyes:

And i'm a huge fan of Gasquet and i still think that's too much...:tape:

Jagermeister
09-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Yes I do like Rafa, but to call me a "tard" would be over doing it. I've always stated that Federer is better than Nadal, and that Nadal is more prone to upset. Now, if you tell me, Blake will beat Nadal, i'd have to say, based on recent match history, our right, but to say that Roddick will blow Nadal out of the court or that gasquet will beat Nadal on hardcout is extreme, wait for it to happen first. Nadal is #2 by a long shot, so, lets just wait and see.

I don't think that Nadal losing to Gasquet is an "extreme" prediction. It's certainly still a long shot because Gasquet might have all the talent in the world but sometimes he's lacking in the "between-the-ears" department. I'm a Nadal fan first and foremost but I just have this feeling that Gasquet will make a breakthrough.

Roddick vs Nadal...I don't know. Roddick would have to play a very discipline but powerful match (a tricky thing for him). He would have to mix up the serves very well and be willing to go to net so that Nadal doesn;'t just camp out behind the baseline.

Loremaster
09-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Roddick is albe to win with Rafa that's for sure, if Moya, Blake, Berdych, Ferrero could win with him why not Roddick, what's more USOpen surface suits Andy's game perfectly , his service alone could win him the match because I don't think so that Rafa is as great returner as Hewitt, Agassi or Federer and they used to beat Andy very frequently because they know how to return this serve, Nadal is suffering against powerfully serving players (Kendrick, Querrey, Berdych ) and Andy's serve is much more powerfull it's the best in men's tennis, and Andy has more game to back it up than Kendrick or Querrey,

Nadal is true #2 but it doesn't mean that he has to be great on hardcourt , his hardcourt results this year are very poor , and Nadal is also suffering against serve and volley and Andy comes to net sometimes(Federer had something like 80% of net actions good, Kendrick was laso trubleing him and Berdych ) and Nadal form is far from the best (he lost set to Horna) :eek:

I think more trouble for Roddick will be Richard but his head is not always in the same place as his game, and American crowd in night session on Artur Asche could make it very difficult for Richie who is not mental monster and Roddick loves to play with support of his homecrowd especially in cincy and NY , it gives him more power and self-bealive
So I would say Roddick into Final

dmit424
09-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Randomly pondering:

I just see Nadal making the Finals. If not him, then Roddick.

And, well, Agassi is looking mighty good, but it might not be enough if Roddick is serving 70% first serves...

In which case, it is true that Rafa's best on HARD COURT may not be enough to beat Andy... I mean, Rafa's lost to lesser names on this surface, but I believe that if Roddick is serving that well, only one man can beat him and you know who that is.

However, if this was 3 years ago, we would have said that there were two people that could beat Roddick on hardcourt on a great serving day, the other one being Hewitt... Nowadays, Hewitt is far-removed from anything resembling "glory" days. He is being predicted by many to lose to Djoko, and if not, than Richard will surely beat him, and if not, then surely Hewitt is not going to defeat either Andre or Andy in front of the US crowd, and if somehow he does, he's obviously going to sh*t his pants vs. Nadal... Umm, look, this has been said about him the past two years, but remember, Hewitt has aways done well here, usually loses to the eventual champion, and took a set from Rafa at French... Yes, Hewitt is the darkhorse (that sounds weird).

And, and, and... never count out Nalby, or Safin for that matter. Hmm.

dmit424
09-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Roddick is albe to win with Rafa that's for sure, if Moya, Blake, Berdych, Ferrero could win with him why not Roddick, what's more USOpen surface suits Andy's game perfectly , his service alone could win him the match because I don't think so that Rafa is as great returner as Hewitt, Agassi or Federer and they used to beat Andy very frequently because they know how to return this serve, Nadal is suffering against powerfully serving players (Kendrick, Querrey, Berdych ) and Andy's serve is much more powerfull it's the best in men's tennis, and Andy has more game to back it up than Kendrick or Querrey,

Nadal is true #2 but it doesn't mean that he has to be great on hardcourt , his hardcourt results this year are very poor , and Nadal is also suffering against serve and volley and Andy comes to net sometimes(Federer had something like 80% of net actions good, Kendrick was laso trubleing him and Berdych ) and Nadal form is far from the best (he lost set to Horna) :eek:

I think more trouble for Roddick will be Richard but his head is not always in the same place as his game, and American crowd in night session on Artur Asche could make it very difficult for Richie who is not mental monster and Roddick loves to play with support of his homecrowd especially in cincy and NY , it gives him more power and self-bealive
So I would say Roddick into Final

I think Agassi may be trouble for Roddick. If not, Hewitt (if he makes it). I say this because both of those guys (and Fed) are capable of breaking Roddick more than anyone else... And Roddick's ground game has often not been enough against Hewitt (although Andy did win last meeting). Agassi's ground game is looking better than Hewitt's (as in, more consistent), at this point.

Action Jackson
09-02-2006, 09:13 AM

And i'm a huge fan of Gasquet and i still think that' too much...:tape:

You have been here long enough and know the score by now with the Gasquet subject.

atpSUPERMAN
09-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Roddick has no chance against Agassi. It won't even go the distance. And at some point during the match when Agassi is waiting to serve while Roddick complains to the umpire a fan will yell out HE'S A PUNK YOU'RE A LEGEND and the camera will focus on Connors.

DrJules
09-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I think Agassi may be trouble for Roddick. If not, Hewitt (if he makes it). I say this because both of those guys (and Fed) are capable of breaking Roddick more than anyone else... And Roddick's ground game has often not been enough against Hewitt (although Andy did win last meeting). Agassi's ground game is looking better than Hewitt's (as in, more consistent), at this point.

The key to beating Roddick has always been returning his serve. With the exception of the serve most players in the top 10 are better than Roddick.

dmit424
09-02-2006, 09:35 AM
The key to beating Roddick has always been returning his serve. With the exception of the serve most players in the top 10 are better than Roddick.

I think it's more like top-50. Not to take a shot at Roddick or anything... I mean, a serve is as valid a skill/talent as any. Most players in the top-10 have a "weapon", be it speed, forehand, consistency, or otherwise. That's why they are top-10.

Adler
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
My heart wants it to be Gasquet, but my head tells Rafa, ant that's what I voted for in the poll

DrJules
09-02-2006, 10:01 AM
I think it's more like top-50. Not to take a shot at Roddick or anything... I mean, a serve is as valid a skill/talent as any. Most players in the top-10 have a "weapon", be it speed, forehand, consistency, or otherwise. That's why they are top-10.

Roddick is more dependent on one shot than any other top 10 player. I cannot think of another top 10 player with a similar dependence on one shot.

vincayou
09-02-2006, 10:07 AM

You are a Gasquet fan but you predict him to lose every round.

richie21
09-02-2006, 10:18 AM

Roddick has already won the USOPEN and Gasquet has made the 1/8 final last year there.....while Nadal has never gone further than the 3 rd round.
not to mention that Roddick and Gasquet also had better results than Nadal on hardcourt this summer

delsa
09-02-2006, 10:22 AM
You are a Gasquet fan but you predict him to lose every round.
:lol:

Not really.

silverwhite
09-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm on delsa's side. ;)

richie21
09-02-2006, 10:31 AM

ffs he made a MS final 2 weeks ago easily beating players like Blake(undoubtedly one of the 5 best players on hardcourt for one year),Berdych and Murray(who beat Roddick and Hewitt on hardcourt this season ) and in the final ,he pushed Federer close,taking the first set 6-2(in the last 2 years,how many players can say that they took a set to Federer that easily on hardcourt?? not many i think...) and you are saying that to rate his chances equally as Nadal(how did he perform this summer on hardcourt??) or Roddick is too much???!
if we were talking about a unknown player (like Verkerk in RG a few years ago)oki we would still have some doubts about the fact it was a one off result or not but there, we are talking about a player who used to dominate Nadal at junior level(Gasquet is the youngest world junior champion ever) and who was often described as a mini-Federer or even the next Federer

silverwhite
09-02-2006, 11:23 AM
:haha:

Neverstopfightin
09-02-2006, 11:35 AM
if we were talking about a unknown player (like Verkerk in RG a few years ago)oki we would still have some doubts about the fact it was a one off result or not but there, we are talking about a player who used to dominate Nadal at junior level(Gasquet is the youngest world junior champion ever) and who was often described as a mini-Federer or even the next Federer

What the fuck you are talking about ??

They only played one time when they were 12 years old at Les Petits As and Richard won in a hard-fought 3 set match.

What a domination !!! :eek: :eek:

And if you don't know it I comment you Rafa never played ITF junior circuit except Wimbledon where he reached semifinals.

So Richard never dominated Rafa since they used to play different calendars

Jaffas85
09-02-2006, 11:36 AM
To make this discussion slightly more interesting what would the rankings, ranking points in Nadal's case, go up to were they to make the final of the U.S. Open?

What would Gasquet's ranking likely to go up to? Between #10 - #15?

Roddick would move to about #5 would he?

And Nadal would obviously remain at #2 but his ranking points would likely go up to around 5200 or so.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

richie21
09-02-2006, 11:44 AM
What the fuck you are talking about ??

They only played one time when they were 12 years old at Les Petits As and Richard won in a hard-fought 3 set match.

What a domination !!! :eek: :eek:

And if you don't know it I comment you Rafa never played ITF junior circuit except Wimbledon where he reached semifinals.

So Richard never dominated Rafa since they used to play different calendars

oki my mistake then :)
but the fact remains that Richard has a 1-0 record against Rafa before they joined the Pro tour :devil:

silverwhite
09-02-2006, 11:48 AM
oki my mistake then :)
but the fact remains that Richard has a 1-0 record against Rafa before they joined the Pro tour :devil:

Yes, a 1-0 record = domination.

Therefore,
Ginepri dominates Gasquet
Azzaro dominates Gasquet
Vliegen dominates Gasquet

yomike
09-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Gasquet or Nadal, no Roddick please.

vincayou
09-02-2006, 12:28 PM

Not really.

OK just a test, how far do you see him go at the USO? :)

JBdV
09-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Out of these 3 players, you'd have to say Richie is still the 3rd favourite to reach the final...

Merton
09-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Therefore,
Azzaro dominates Gasquet

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Merton
09-02-2006, 04:16 PM
It is still too early, all these players will face substantial tests in the coming rounds.

Pfloyd
09-02-2006, 04:41 PM
True, Nadal has had a mediocre hard court season this year, with the exception of duvai, but last year Nadal made the Miami Finals, won in Canada, won in China and won in Madrid. Nadal has consistency issues on hard courts, but if he's on a on day, he can beat anybody thats for sure. Yes, perhaps the Australian Open would be the Grandslam that better suits Nadal game, due to the fact that it is quite slow, but if Nadal continues playing the way he did against Philipousis, I would find it difficult that Nadal would lose against any player. Of course, if Roddick were to play extremley well with his service, the Rafa could do little to break Roddick (Nadal has yet to improve his return of serve some more). But if Nadal is on a Good day, you can be pretty sure that Roddick will not break Nadal. This type of game would go to tie-breaks, and of course, tie-breaks are mostly toss ups. But Roddick has to be playing really well that Day, his service alone wont help him win the match, he has to be able to break Nadal.
But If Roddick has just ONE bad service game, odds are Nadal could break him.

However, one has to notice how Nadal is evolving. Nadal now has a good serve, and his volley skills are improving at an amazing rate (in the wimbledon final, Nadal came to the net more than Federer, and won a lot of points at the net). Last year, Nadal ran more than this year, now Nadal is trying to develop a more agressive game so that he can perform better in hard courts and grass. This strategy worked wonders in Wimbledon, as he reached the finals, playing really good tennis.

The month pause that Nadal took after Wimbledon did not help him adapt well to the hardcourt season, as he strugled with his forehand, and he had issues being too defensive. However, now in the U.S Open he seems to be back to his old self. All im saying, is that if you use Wimbledon as a measuring stick for Nadals learning rate, then it would not be suprising at all that he reaches the final of the U.S open, and wins it.

Roddick is the type of player, that even if he's playing good he's quite prone to upset. Plus, unlike Nadal, Roddick cannot due much to improve his game, other than, improving his backhand (which in Cinci, he seemed to do). Gasquet, on the other hand, is an awsome player, and is truly a pleasure to watch.

Yes Gasquet had a good tournament in canada. But to say that Gasquet has a better chance of reaching the finals of the U.S open based on this summers results is a bit too much. If my memory dosent fail me, Gasquet beat a mediocre Berdych that was not half the player that he was against Nadal. Sure Gasquet played very well against Berdych, but last year in Cincy, a tired a cramping Nadal had a match point in the third set, that to Berdych managed to save with an ace.

Also, in regards to Gasquets potential in hard court, one has to look at his performace against Federer in the final. Yes Gasquet took a set of him, but Federer was not playing his best that Day, and Gasquet took advantage of it. When the match was over, Gasquet himself said "I tried my best, but Roger was just too good, he's #1".

Not to cause another matchup debate, If Nadal plays his best in hardcourt, he can beat Federer. Against Gasquet, I belive that if Nadal plays with Heavy topsin, it would be quite difficult for Gasquet to rip his backhand, like he usually does with players that hit flatter shots. Also, mobility and physique are an issue here. Gasquet is likley to get tired in a 5 setter, wheras Nadal can play various 5 setters in a row. Also, Gasquet is not as Fast as Nadal, and If Nadal plays an agressive game, and move Gasquet around, he could seriosly complicate his game style, which is based in staying on the backline, and moving his opponents around. Gasquets best surface is clay (if you watch the way he played in Montecarlo last year, you'll agree with me)

So yeah, I honestly think Nadal can reach the Finals of the U.S open, and if he has to face off aganst Federer, given there history, the favored one HAS to be Nadal, this will be true until Federer turns the table around.

sanpo
09-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Interesting poll with all three getting close number of votes.

I'd picked Roddick, but would not be surprised if Gasquet gets it.

bellascarlett
09-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Gasquet or Nadal, no Roddick please.

word.

Anyway, until Safin is out (which may be soon :o ), I'm dreaming of a Safin-Gasquet or Safin-Nadal final. :) Whatever...:lol: I'm pulling for Richard to make it through to the final though.

vincayou
09-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Gasquet's best surface is not clay, he's good everywhere. His best results in slam are on grass and hardcourt. He's had equal results on every surface.

Nadal, on the other hand is much better on clay than on the other surface.

Thus, Gasquet prefers to play Nadal on grass or hardcourt.

dmit424
09-02-2006, 05:14 PM
I bet you Gasquet will lose to either Djoko or Hewitt, probably Hewitt. In 4.

World Beater
09-02-2006, 05:18 PM

just because you claim to like federer, doesn't mean you aren't a tard. They aren't mutually exclusive.

btw...i didn't say roddick will blow out nadal, i said that he would win. I gave no indication of how close the match will be. Nadal being #2 doesn't mean anything here. It's matchups that count.

Pfloyd
09-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Oh all right, now you know whos a tard and who isnt? So now I have a right to call you an Andytard? Please, I gave my opionion and I agree with it, but if Nadal were to lose against any of these two players in this Open,then hey, I was wrong.

vincayou
09-02-2006, 05:32 PM
I bet you Gasquet will lose to either Djoko or Hewitt, probably Hewitt. In 4.

What has done Djokovic recently on hardcourt so that you are so sure?

Gasquet is fresher than Djoko and Hewitt, reason why he will be the favourite if he reaches 4th round.

jenanun
09-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Nadal being #2 doesn't mean anything here. It's matchups that count.

yep... just look at the current no.1 and no.2....

All_Slam_Andre
09-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Roddick would have an excellent chance to beat Nadal unfortunately. It has been highlighted that Rafa is vunerable on this surface against a pacy, flat hitter. He doesn't like being 'rushed' into making shots and Blake and Berdych seemed to be able to dictate and control the rallies. I didn't think that the Blake defeats were that significant at first, but the Berdych-Nadal match proved me wrong and showed that they weren't flukes. I would give Roddick the edge should they meet. Roddick's bit and flat forehand could cause Rafa plenty of problems. However if Rafa were to play Gasquet, he would win.

richie21
09-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Yes Gasquet had a good tournament in canada. But to say that Gasquet has a better chance of reaching the finals of the U.S open based on this summers results is a bit too much. If my memory dosent fail me, Gasquet beat a mediocre Berdych that was not half the player that he was against Nadal. Sure Gasquet played very well against Berdych, but last year in Cincy, a tired a cramping Nadal had a match point in the third set, that to Berdych managed to save with an ace.
Also, in regards to Gasquets potential in hard court, one has to look at his performace against Federer in the final. Yes Gasquet took a set of him, but Federer was not playing his best that Day, and Gasquet took advantage of it. When the match was over, Gasquet himself said "I tried my best, but Roger was just too good, he's #1".

yeah right.....when Gasquet wins against a top 20 player ,that's obviously because the opponent played crap......we know the refrain now.... :rolleyes:

Pfloyd
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
The same is not true when Gasquet played Federer in Montecarlo, there Federer played very well, and Gasquet still won. And yes, it is undeniable, Berdych did not play against Gasquet, the same way he did against Nadal.

richie21
09-02-2006, 06:13 PM
The same is not true when Gasquet played Federer in Montecarlo, there Federer played very well, and Gasquet still won. And yes, it is undeniable, Berdych did not play against Gasquet, the same way he did against Nadal.

funnily enough ,i didn t think he played well in this match(not to mention it was on clay)
i thought he played better in the Toronto final,in the Halle match(a match where Richard played really well despite the loss) and obviously at Wimbledon

World Beater
09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Oh all right, now you know whos a tard and who isnt? So now I have a right to call you an Andytard? Please, I gave my opionion and I agree with it, but if Nadal were to lose against any of these two players in this Open,then hey, I was wrong.

you give your opinion without any supporting evidence other than to say, nadal is #2. If you actually supported it, perhaps it would be more convincing.
instead of saying rafa's "a" game will beat andy's "a" game, you can actually say why you believe it to be true. That is why i called you a tard for that post. ;)

if you think i am a andy tard, then you really have no clue.

Against gasquet, nadal is favored imo, because richard i think isnt consistent enough with his penetrating shots. He can hit well with spin, but this is not the right tactic against nadal.

Pfloyd
09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
all right, let me refer you to a post with evidence (the first half ought to be enough):

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=3977632#post3977632

By the way, YOU arent providing any evidence, and calling people tards dosent help your case does it? unless you call THAT evidence.

Im talking about how Nadals topspin, would bother Gasquet, and How Nadals service and volleying game has improved, and how if Nadal plays Roddick these games could got o tie-breaks, etc, etc.

As far I know, you arent stating anything, your just accusing me of being biased, and unreasonable, something which I am not.

richie21
09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Im talking about how Nadals topspin, would bother Gasquet, and How Nadals service and volleying game has improved, and how if Nadal plays Roddick these games could got o tie-breaks, etc, etc.

on clay yes ......but on hardcourt,that's a different story.

World Beater
09-02-2006, 06:58 PM
all right, let me refer you to a post with evidence:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=3977632#post3977632

By the way, YOU arent providing any evidence, and calling people tards dosent help your case does it? unless you call THAT evidence.

As far ai I know, you arent stating anything, your just accusin me of being biased, and unreasonable, something which I am not.

ok...first the post which you claim is evidence, isn't really. The reason is that all those players you mention don't play the same way that roddick does. you cant compare ginepri, baghdatis and others to roddick.

Only ljubo has a big serve comparably to roddick. Everyone else doesn't. ljubo also doesnt have a big forehand. Claiming that nadal has beaten good players, doesn't mean he will beat roddick. Nobody is debating the fact that nadal can't beat roddick, im saying if roddick plays well it will be very difficult and i see roddick winning on a fast court in USA.

If you look at my previous post in this thread, you will see that i cited nadal's difficulty returning big serves, and playing against players who play similarly to blake. Roddick with his flat forehand falls in this category, and if he plays well will be able to overpower nadal at the baseline. apparently you didnt see this :rolleyes:

second, you must provide some evidence in this thread. I can't be responsible for digging up your posts in some other thread. If you make a claim, better back it up in the same post, or else you will be called a "tard". saying nadal will beat roddick because nadal has beaten other good players sounds like a fanboy. calling you a tard isn't evidence, its a conclusion ;)

i actually did provide evidence with my claim. Now, you can disagree with my explanation and that would be more constructive. You can also why, but you didn't which leads me to believe you accept it.

Pfloyd
09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Only ljubo has a big serve comparably to roddick. Everyone else doesn't. ljubo also doesnt have a big forehand.

If you look at my previous post in this thread, you will see that i cited nadal's difficulty returning big serves, and playing against players who play similarly to blake. Roddick with his flat forehand falls in this category, and if he plays well will be able to overpower nadal at the baseline. apparently you didnt see this :rolleyes:

saying nadal will beat roddick because nadal has beaten other good players sounds like a fanboy.

Dude, I think you are comparing players too.

By the way, why are you saying that Nadal has a problem with flat forehands? Your saying that because your thinking of Blake and Berdych? Well, you're comparing again. I wont refute Blake, because, until it is dissproven, Blake has the game to beat Nadal, two matchups between them two have shown that conlcusion. I already talked about Berdych.

Ljubicic may not have a huge forehand, but he does have a hige backhand, and great volleying too, roddick dosent have a good volley. Nadal is 3-1 against Ljubicic so...

I've also stated, many times, that Nadal has consistency issues, especially on HC. If he dosent play well, Roddick will beat him, but if Nadal plays well, I'd give the edge to Nadal, I really dont see why your calling me a tard though...

I dont know what more evidence you want, and until Roddick plays Nadal, this will continue being a circular argument...

soraya
09-02-2006, 07:19 PM

No Gonzo? No Nole?

richie21
09-02-2006, 08:28 PM
what a close poll anyway!! :eek:

ezekiel
09-02-2006, 09:23 PM
why are people underestimating Novak Djokovic?

delsa
09-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm on delsa's side. ;)
:worship:

delsa
09-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Very good question indeed.

delsa
09-02-2006, 09:36 PM
+1. But in my case it was more :spit: .

This mini-Fed thing doesn't stop to make me laugh to tears.

LOL Are you realizing, "Richie", that Gasquet himself wouldn't even agree with you? I guess not. He's still in the phase of saying immediately after admiting that he could be considered the favorite of one particular match ("Oh! Horror! How presomptuous!") that he could be trashed in three, that for once he's not injured and bla bla bla...Last year he was saying that Galimberti was "a very dangerous opponent" (btw...the match prooved him right after and considering the conditions, maybe he was right...). Apparently he recently said that he was "afraid" of Simon...Ridiculously over the top i know ( :rolleyes: ) but well, that's how things are now...In those case "less is more" imho but it doesn't seem to be his opinion...

delsa
09-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Therefore,
Azzaro dominates Gasquet
:devil:

Marine
09-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Richard ? It's a joke ??

Norrage
09-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Very good question indeed.
I'd ask why people are overrating him -_-

extremaduratenis
09-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Rafa, of course. He reached the final at Wimbledon... and he plays better on hardcourts

Fergie
09-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Andy

TenHound
09-03-2006, 03:22 AM
If Federer's playing like he has been on hc's this summer, there's no guarantee he makes the final...but I appreciate everyone's optimism :)

vincayou
09-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Rafa, of course. He reached the final at Wimbledon... and he plays better on hardcourts

richie21
09-03-2006, 11:27 AM
+1. But in my case it was more :spit: .

This mini-Fed thing doesn't stop to make me laugh to tears.

LOL Are you realizing, "Richie", that Gasquet himself wouldn't even agree with you? I guess not. He's still in the phase of saying immediately after admiting that he could be considered the favorite of one particular match ("Oh! Horror! How presomptuous!") that he could be trashed in three, that for once he's not injured and bla bla bla...Last year he was saying that Galimberti was "a very dangerous opponent" (btw...the match prooved him right after and considering the conditions, maybe he was right...). Apparently he recently said that he was "afraid" of Simon...Ridiculously over the top i know ( :rolleyes: ) but well, that's how things are now...In those case "less is more" imho but it doesn't seem to be his opinion...

humility.....do you know the sense of this word??? :o

Action Jackson
09-03-2006, 11:37 AM

Therefore,
Azzaro dominates Gasquet

:worship: :worship:

sampaio
09-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Well maybe because he only won 1 little tournmanent?
Nobody is talking about Wawrinka ever....There's a lot of very talented young player (and i agree that Novak is one of the best) but we should wait and let them make their proof.

ezekiel
09-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Well maybe because he only won 1 little tournmanent?
Nobody is talking about Wawrinka ever....There's a lot of very talented young player (and i agree that Novak is one of the best) but we should wait and let them make their proof.

He is only 19 and already ranked 20 and has arguably the best forehand/backhand combo in the business . He could have 2 more titles this year if his physical stood and even better results. Once he matures physically soon, he will be a dominant player on the tour :wavey:

richie21
09-03-2006, 01:47 PM
He is only 19 and already ranked 20 and has arguably the best forehand/backhand combo in the business . He could have 2 more titles this year if his physical stood and even better results. Once he matures physically soon, he will be a dominant player on the tour :wavey:

that alone is HIGHLY debatable

ezekiel
09-03-2006, 02:45 PM
that alone is HIGHLY debatable

I understand that but I think it will be proven true with time. Having seen him play I have very high expectations of him

richie21
09-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I understand that but I think it will be proven true with time. Having seen him play I have very high expectations of him

no problem :)

DrJules
09-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Why not Hewitt in poll.

Chocobo
09-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Why not Hewitt in poll.

Yeah...he's destroying Djokovic at the moment...The scoreline is impressive :eek:

Jagermeister
09-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I thought Djokovic would win this match because I was under the impression Hewitt's physical status was in question. But a fit Hewitt would have a field day with the kind of player Djokovic is.

Iheartandy&roger
09-03-2006, 07:22 PM
After Safin's performance today, let's put him into the mix too...

Longshot
09-03-2006, 07:28 PM
After Safin's performance today, let's put him into the mix too...Safin is on Fed's side of the draw.

Though a Fed Safin SF is fine by me :yeah: