Baggy's tactics were poor [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Baggy's tactics were poor

Halba
09-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Sure i love baseline rallies, but his tactics were undeniably poor. Most of the success against Andre has been with Serve/Volleyers(Pete), and good slice backhands for measure(Federer anyone?). Agassi has to hit through the slice with pace ,and this forces an error or for him to go out. Why couldn't Baggy stop trying to overpower him from the backcourt and go for a little bit more variety. He's paying his coach so he can learn, not to be another one of many baseline huggers. For me, theres only 1 player that bothers to be different, and try a bit of volleying/moving up to the midcourt if they can't out baseline or want to keep the points short (Federer comes out on every half opportunity). Can't anyone else step up the plate or is it too much?

Put simply Baggy was not conditioned well enough for a 5 set match. Instead of wearing yourself out in a 2ND ROUND MATCH, couldn't you try things to conserve energy and also quicken up the points?

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 08:41 AM
You can have the greatest tactics in the world, but it doesn't matter if the ball can't be hit over the net.

The last 3 sets were better, then again it helps to get the ball in play. Put it simply he was nervous and couldn't handle the occasion and said he was stressed out in the first 2 sets and surprise surprise nerves and stress can lead to cramps.

Halba, Baghdatis has played and won many 5 setters already.

Halba
09-01-2006, 09:01 AM
true nerves did play a role. but he is a professional tennis player and maybe a visit to the sports psych should help. i guess he's only 21, still time to improve. Serve/volley would have been the better ploy, as his serve was on the whole match

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Agassi has some of the greatest passing shots of all time, Marcos volleyed well, he did not lose cause of poor tactics, and you are going on like Baghdatis's career is over. It's a lost match and nothing more.

Fedex
09-01-2006, 09:10 AM
true nerves did play a role. but he is a professional tennis player and maybe a visit to the sports psych should help. i guess he's only 21, still time to improve. Serve/volley would have been the better ploy, as his serve was on the whole match
This kid has won 5 set matches before, so it's not like he is mentally weak. In fact, I think this is the first 5 setter he has lost in his career. In the end, Baghdatis could not overcome Agassi and the New York crowd, but he gave it a valiant effort and thats all you can ask of a player.

Adler
09-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Agassi was just better. The main problem of Marcos today was his backhand. I think it was very visible for every spectator, even if someone isn't familiar with tennis. Tactics were quite good - he risked many times, searching for angles, and that was it, because when you play with such an experienced player as Agassi you can't count on his mistakes and you shouldn't desperately hold the ball in play

Although I must say, that for the majority of 5th set I thought Marcos is gonna win

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 09:13 AM
In the end, Baghdatis could not overcome Agassi and the New York crowd, but he gave it a valiant effort and thats all you can ask of a player.

It's his 2nd 5 set loss, but I have seen many of his matches live and that was not the issue.

Marcos's mind and the whole cramp issue, it's the first time he has done that, so it was more the mental not the tactical. Halba likes the knee jerk reactions.