Old Man Agassi Defeats Baggy 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 5-7, 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Old Man Agassi Defeats Baggy 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 5-7, 7-5

good_gambler
09-01-2006, 04:38 AM
What. A. Match! :bowdown:
The old man is not done yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

5 Matches to go. :rocker2: :music: :singer:

Oneofakind0490
09-01-2006, 04:39 AM
What a joke. Agassi could barely beat someone cramping.

Nice and weird match.

Andre♥
MATCH OF THE YEAR

atheneglaukopis
:worship: No words.

guy in sf
That really sucks!!!!!!!! Even if he loses the next match, we'll have to see clips of this one endlessly from now on.

hablovah19
09-01-2006, 04:40 AM
nice fight, Baghdatis, you really have heart :yeah:
too bad you were cramping :hug:
as for the crowd. thumbs down.

mickymouse
Match played with so much heart by both players.

tennisforumname
hell yeah- go agassi. :) Marcos Baghdatis will definitely take over the role as my favorite player once agassi retires though. :)

slipmaskin
Agassi lucked out big time in this one.

Started out as a festering piece of shit-match after those lame ass first two sets, but grew to be an incredibly nerve-wrecking experience. Thanks for the show guys.

Tennis Fool
09-01-2006, 04:41 AM
That really sucks!!!!!!!! Even if he loses the next match, we'll have to see clips of this one endlessly from now on.
Expected rain for the rest of the tournament :devil:

I'm serious :o

tiptop
09-01-2006, 04:41 AM
tape it and show it to your grand children...

Tennis Fool
09-01-2006, 04:42 AM
One of my coworkers went to this match. I wish I were there.

Now Agassi has a walkover to the Quarters with an expected match up with Roddick.

~*BGT*~
09-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Roddick, finish this shit! It's time to end this crap.

tripb19
09-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Baghdatis is one of my favourite players now. :) He's so great to watch.

Well done Agassi!!! I love you, even if I despise the crowd :(

case
any one here ever hear of the blacksocks.??

crowd was awful.

hablovah19
Can't believe I will be cheering for Andy :o
I'm tired of this Agassi nonesense.

Magical Trevor
Wow.... Marcos has heart. I'd have to imagine it would be extremelly difficult knowing that if you win, you end the career of one of the greats. Even harder to still give it your all when you're 2 sets down.

But yeah, I guess it's mainly about Agassi. I'm praying for him to at least make the semis so I can watch.

Tennis Fool
09-01-2006, 04:45 AM
Yep, and Agassi sweeps Roddick off the court for another historic run deep into the tournament :P

case
09-01-2006, 04:45 AM
my thoughts exactly.

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Ridiculous... plain ridiculous. Baghdatis made a miracle better than walking on water...

case
09-01-2006, 04:47 AM
I cant believe any one buys into this bs
agassi should have gone out with more class than this.
this is winning with a mob.

MissMoJo
09-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Baghdatis :( :hug: where was he in the 1st 2 sets :confused:

marcelwks
what a match :woohoo:

gillian
Wow. I gained new respect for Baghdatis AND Agassi!

Rockin' match from both guys. Can any match of the tournament top this?

lucashg
09-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Great win, Old Baldy! :worship:

But I wish Marcos had been up to the task since the beginning, he just is too inconsistent. It would have been perfect if someone as talented as Marcos sent Andre off to retirement, but it was not meant to be. :sad:

I hope Agassi now lasts in this tournament as much as he can and a loss in the next round is just not, NOT acceptable.

The crowd's behavior was at times pretty disrespectful, especially when Marcos got the cramps, but they sure added to the drama and excitement this match offered and overall it's quite an understandable behavior, though not exactly acceptable.

slipmaskin
Baghdatis :( :hug: where was he in the 1st 2 sets :confused:
Played some terrible tennis. Fortunately, he picked it up and redeemed this match big time.

trequartista
Well done Agassi!!! I love you, even if I despise the crowd :(This is the problem that I have...I was rooting for Baggy (though I'm not upset that he lost, this was an AWESOME match) just because the crowd is so horrible. When they were booing Marcos, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! :eek:

I want Andre to go out strong, but it's so easy to root against him with this crowd going.

And OH GOD they're going to talk about this FOREVER. :rolleyes:

brent-o
09-01-2006, 04:51 AM
wohoo, what a match. i nearly broke into tears like ten times, absolutely certain that agassi had it lost. this one will be remembered (which is strange considering when is the last time you can say that a 1st and 2nd round match are classics?)

marcelwks
09-01-2006, 04:52 AM
but is funny that 36y.old guy made 15 y. younger cramping :D

tangerine_dream
OMG, Andre :hearts: Andre :bowdown: Andre! :worship: Please keep the dream alive, I don't ever want to wake up from this dream. :sobbing:

Baggy :bigclap: :hug: :hug: Whoever said he has no heart can eat it now. :)

~*BGT*~
This is the problem that I have...I was rooting for Baggy (though I'm not upset that he lost, this was an AWESOME match) just because the crowd is so horrible. When they were booing Marcos, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! :eek:

I want Andre to go out strong, but it's so easy to root against him with this crowd going.

You took the words out of my mouth. That's exactly how I feel.

brent-o
09-01-2006, 04:53 AM
This is the problem that I have...I was rooting for Baggy (though I'm not upset that he lost, this was an AWESOME match) just because the crowd is so horrible. When they were booing Marcos, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! :eek:

I didn't think they were that ruthless. They were horrible at Pavel but I found that they had a decent amount of people who were behind Baggy. Not to that's a large amount but I was surprised considering how ruthless they can be. But I guess his charisma and shotmaking won a few over.

BlakeorHenman
09-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Now... if you think Baghdatis threw this match... you're like the nazi regime of MTF...

This was one of the top ten greatest achievements by Agassi. If he loses 6-0, 6-0. 6-0 to Becker, he will still leave a legacy of one of the very, very, VERY best tennis has ever seen.

Jimbooo
09-01-2006, 04:54 AM
well done andre and best wishes against b. becker

OddJob
Andre :worship:

Baggy :clap2:

The Crowd :banana:

Regenbogen
It was good but it was kind of strange too. Oh well Agassi won so I'm happy about it :) They're going to talk about this until I hate that Agassi won though :tape:

federerfan7465
09-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Fucking AMAZING MATCH

I dont think it has sunk it yet to 90% of you that this was one of the greatest US Open Matches ever.

gillian
The crowd's behavior was at times pretty disrespectful, especially when Marcos got the cramps, but they sure added to the drama and excitement this match offered and overall it's quite an understandable behavior, though not exactly acceptable.

True. I know they love Andre, but I wish they'd show a bit more class. The energy was great, though. They'll be talking about this one for a looong time.

zicofirol
The amount of cheesy and corny moments coming from Agassi's last USO is embarassing really. I wanted Baghdatis to win because I doubt Agassi will beat Roddick and I dont want to see roddick in the QF or SF.

Adler
09-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Standing ovation

I've got nothing more to say than what has already been said by hundreds of tennis fans. Baggy is now a celebrity

Xristos
09-01-2006, 04:56 AM
What can I say?? Well done Baggy....Great win Agassi.

trequartista
09-01-2006, 04:57 AM
I didn't think they were that ruthless. They were horrible at Pavel but I found that they had a decent amount of people who were behind Baggy. Not to that's a large amount but I was surprised considering how ruthless they can be. But I guess his charisma and shotmaking won a few over.The crowd as a whole, I mean, not just tonight...though the booing was enough to set me off completely. It's also the constant fellating of Agassi throughout USO coverage that I don't want to have to sit through. I love Agassi, but I could REALLY do without the hype/drama.

revolution
09-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Breathtaking. Simply wonderful, memorable. A match I won't forget.

ChloeLove
09-01-2006, 04:59 AM
:eek: What a match! Aw, crazy, I loved it.

I love Baggy, he's great. It was good to see his interview with JMac after the match, the crowd finally saluted him and showed him respect. Baggy has a lot of heart :hug:

Andre is amazing :worship: Will all his matches been this freakin dramatic (and great)? I don't know why everyone on MTF is sick of him. I loved seeing the clips of Steffi, and yes, I cried when the match ended. :sobbing:

I really hope he meets up with Roddick, that would be one amazing match, and I'd love to see how the crowd would respond with two Americans.

brent-o
09-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Fucking AMAZING MATCH

I dont think it has sunk it yet to 90% of you that this was one of the greatest US Open Matches ever.

Not in terms of quality of tennis. The Agassi-Blake match was much better. But this was just as entertaining and nerve-wracking.

alinefx
09-01-2006, 05:00 AM
The amount of cheesy and corny moments coming from Agassi's last USO is embarassing really. I wanted Baghdatis to win because I doubt Agassi will beat Roddick and I dont want to see roddick in the QF or SF.

You need to see the H2H and realize the fact that Agassi OWNS Roddick.

BAMJ6
Well Andre has done it again, the kind of US open match that will never leave my mind. (The Blake one was tough to forget, but this takes the cake)

General Suburbia
Andre's back and age, Marcos' cramps, the shitty crowd, the five set suspense...

Pretty amazing, more when you're on the edge of your seat the whole time wondering if this will be Agassi's last match.

And I'll be pretty pissed if he happens to lose to some nobody in the next round.

G_Hughes
THE LEGEND GOES ON .......... ( A-ROD you better start thinking of how the hell you are gonna beat him !!! ) .

case
Fucking AMAZING MATCH

it wasn't. it was an embarassment to me as an american and as a tennis fan.. Did you even watch the match?? But i know that is how the american press will portray it.

Agassi really could stop this shit and tell the fans to show his opponent the same kind of repsect they give him
But he wont and we all know it. yeah agassi is a real "class act"
This garbage is how i will remember him.

tangerine_dream
09-01-2006, 05:01 AM
I really hope he meets up with Roddick, that would be one amazing match, and I'd love to see how the crowd would respond with two Americans.
They will treat Roddick the same as the other guys: as a second-class citizen standing in the way of Andre's last dream run. :lol:

nobama
09-01-2006, 05:02 AM
Now... if you think Baghdatis threw this match... you're like the nazi regime of MTF...

This was one of the top ten greatest achievements by Agassi. If he loses 6-0, 6-0. 6-0 to Becker, he will still leave a legacy of one of the very, very, VERY best tennis has ever seen.Hey, some people think the draws are rigged to produce a certain outcome so I'm certainly not suprised anyone would think baggy threw the match or was paid off. :rolleyes:

BAMJ6
09-01-2006, 05:02 AM
You need to see the H2H and realize the fact that Agassi OWNS Roddick.

Then again, there was no Connors before

Turkeyballs Paco
09-01-2006, 05:03 AM
What. A. Match! :bowdown:

that was fucking awesome! one of the most entertaining matches I've seen in a very looooong time!

I may need to change the pic in my avatar to baggy. it was gonna happen eventually.

:worship:

revolution
Ginepri's mistakes were cheered loudly last year, although Roddick is more popular i'd imagine it would be about 60-40 to Andre in terms of crowd respect.

Regenbogen
it wasn't. it was an embarassment to me as an american and as a tennis fan.. Did you even watch the match?? But i know that is how the american press will portray it.

Agassi really could stop this shit and tell the fans to show his opponent the same kind of repsect they give him
But he wont and we all know it.
They respected him okay once he lost :lol: Seriously what do you want? Lukewarm applause for both? I like crazy crowds even when they're against who I want, it's just interesting

soothsayer
09-01-2006, 05:05 AM
Amazing match. I thought Andre had lost it. And to those that say Agassi lucked out, keep in mind that the 36 year old physically outlasted the 21 year old.

Some of the fans were rude when Baggy started cramping (I think they thought he might have been over dramatizing it) but generally they were really into it, and the energy was amazing.

I just hope Andre can walk tomorrow :D

slipmaskin
09-01-2006, 05:06 AM
This is just the thing, did he even acknowledge Bagdhatis' performance in the on court-interview? It's like he accumulated all of the glory himself. It takes two to tango.

Tennis Fool
09-01-2006, 05:06 AM
They will treat Roddick the same as the other guys: as a second-class citizen standing in the way of Andre's last dream run. :lol:
I agree. Dickhead is universally despised :)

zaboomafoo
09-01-2006, 05:07 AM

i consider you the biggest asshole in the hole internet community, i can see that you are only 16 and didnt get the chance to grow along andre in tennis, better shut up for all the people that did, show some respect, roddick didnt make shit for the game, that bald guy you saw today gave his life to this sport, i can understand that you are disgusted with the crowd but that have nothing to do with andre, so get your things right because the only crap is you

General Suburbia
09-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Yeah...When was the last time you ever saw a player stop a match, go up to the crowd, and kindly ask them to show more respect to another player? May sound harsh, but that's just the nature of sports and their respective crowds. If you really feel like flaming someone, do it on the crowd, not Agassi.

revolution
09-01-2006, 05:08 AM
the French crowd at Grosjean-Nadal were worse than this one.

*Viva Chile*
09-01-2006, 05:09 AM
I cant believe any one buys into this bs
agassi should have gone out with more class than this.
this is winning with a mob.
And I can't believe that there are people on this board who is not giving a cent for this match :o

Congrats Andre! :yeah: and thanks Marcos for that heart :hug:

World Beater
09-01-2006, 05:11 AM
baggy needs a lesson in strategy...he was trying to outhit dre at the baseline on th bh side...only nalby and safin can do that. dre's bh was amazing tonight.

baggy finally figured out how to play dre in the third and fourth...he took some steps back and played with more spin instead of going toe to toe with dre. Unfortunately, his legs gave out...

a lot of ppl criticize "fat dave" for not being fit...but marcos...how many times are you going cramp in big matches?

anyways, it was a great match. I actually think the points were better than blake agassi esp early in the fifth...blake-agassi pts were just too quick...this was better shot making imo.

if agassi's body holds up, i like his chances against roddick...the pts will be short, and dre can murder andy on the bh all day long. ball stricking from dre was first class in sets one and two.

Yappa
09-01-2006, 05:11 AM
:eek: What a match! Aw, crazy, I loved it.

I love Baggy, he's great. It was good to see his interview with JMac after the match, the crowd finally saluted him and showed him respect. Baggy has a lot of heart :hug:

Andre is amazing :worship: Will all his matches been this freakin dramatic (and great)? I don't know why everyone on MTF is sick of him. I loved seeing the clips of Steffi, and yes, I cried when the match ended. :sobbing:

Dont worry. Most ppl are definitely NOT sick of him and dont want him to lose due to some weird reasons like the media hype or the crowd. Seems that some ppl forgot that its his last US Open. They'll have plenty of non Agassi matches next year.

Of course the crowd was bad, but did we seriously expect otherwise? Yes, I didnt like it when they were doing the mexican wave, just when Baghdatis was about to serve and disturbing his rhythm. And booing him when he was cramping was not acceptable.

Regarding the match itself: poor poor Marcos. He looked so pitiful when he was cramping. I mean he could have faked an injury to get a medical timeout, I think, but instead he tried to continue playing. Brave but stupid? I dont know.

Anyways, Agassi won the first sets due to Bags many UEs, but the game really started to pick up in the 3rd set. :yeah:

Björki
09-01-2006, 05:14 AM
:woohoo: Congrats Andre!!!!!!! :)

case
09-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah...When was the last time you ever saw a player stop a match, go up to the crowd, and kindly ask them to show more respect to another player? May sound harsh, but that's just the nature of sports and their respective crowds. If you really feel like flaming someone, do it on the crowd, not Agassi.

after the pavel match did agassi say anything -no. after this match did agassi say anything-no

i HAVE heard athletes say that the crowd was over the top and rude and to acknowledge the opponent.

the us open needs to do more crowd control. i bet they are lapping this up too.

~EMiLiTA~
09-01-2006, 05:15 AM
wow seems like a dramatic match...wish i could have seen it...damn australian tv :(

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:16 AM
Well done Agassi!!! I love you, even if I despise the crowd :(

Booing Baghdatis for merely cheering himself on, what a bunch of vermin. Cueball escaped the noose but it is coming soon.... ;)

rmb6687
09-01-2006, 05:17 AM
Dont worry. Most ppl are definitely NOT sick of him and dont want him to lose due to some weird reasons like the media hype or the crowd. Seems that some ppl forgot that its his last US Open. They'll have plenty of non Agassi matches next year.

seriously. This is Andre Fucking Agassi. I love Marcos, and still would have if he had beaten Andre because not only did he play fantastically, but with fire and drive and when he made a beatiful shot, he wasn't afraid to yell with excitment. That crowd was horrible but Marcos didnt care, he just played and gave the undeserving bastards(not all of course) some great tennis. Agassi retires just once...and now...so let him do it without ragging on him.

thank you marco...thank you Andre.

zaboomafoo
09-01-2006, 05:17 AM
case

see my other post, you must 10 years old max and a very idiotic child

BlakeorHenman
09-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Booing Baghdatis for merely cheering himself on, what a bunch of vermin. Cueball escaped the noose but it is coming soon.... ;)

Yeah, against Roddick in round 4. But the only person that can beat Agassi at this point is Roddick or Federer. He's obviously proven himself in the first two matches. I was a total non-believer until his match against Baggy, but come on, Agassi is now in the top 5 to win the US Open.

Yappa
09-01-2006, 05:21 AM
seriously. This is Andre Fucking Agassi. I love Marcos, and still would have if he had beaten Andre because not only did he play fantastically, but with fire and drive and when he made a beatiful shot, he wasn't afraid to yell with excitment. That crowd was horrible but Marcos didnt care, he just played and gave the undeserving bastards(not all of course) some great tennis. Agassi retires just once...and now...so let him do it without ragging on him.

thank you marco...thank you Andre.

Yeah, Baghdatis was just awesome. He didnt hide his emotions after great shots. Unfortunately the crowd didnt get that his reactions are just POSITIVE emotions and booed him.

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Unfortunately the crowd didnt get that his reactions are just POSITIVE emotions and booed him.

They got it, just didn`t care. Many have a tedenency to worship sports stars forgetting they take a crap like everyone else... ;)

Sparko1030
09-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Huge congrats to Andre!!! :hatoff: I hope he keeps on winning!!!

I was already a Marcos fan and seeing him tonight only made me a bigger fan. :) It was two great tennis players out there tonight. One on the way out and one at the begining of what promises to be a great career. Thanks to both of them for a memorable and exciting match. :worship:

Rafa = Fed Killa
09-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Andre you are amazing. :worship:

To all the kids here, show Andre some respect. He has achieved a lot more on and off the court than Roddick or any other current american ever will.

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Yeah, against Roddick in round 4. But the only person that can beat Agassi at this point is Roddick or Federer. He's obviously proven himself in the first two matches. I was a total non-believer until his match against Baggy, but come on, Agassi is now in the top 5 to win the US Open.

I`d agree, Andre is hitting well and his back treatments are working. But Baggy probably would have put him away if not for the severe cramping. The crowd is trying to do it for him with trashy behavior, that is a factor as well...

nobama
09-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Yeah, against Roddick in round 4. But the only person that can beat Agassi at this point is Roddick or Federer. He's obviously proven himself in the first two matches. I was a total non-believer until his match against Baggy, but come on, Agassi is now in the top 5 to win the US Open.Lets see what he looks like in his next match. Game wise he's playing very well, but it remains to be seen how his body will react to this 4hr match.

J. Corwin
09-01-2006, 05:28 AM
What an insanely crazy match :eek::tennis:

Marcos :hug:

I hope Andre's body can hold up:p

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Andre you are amazing. :worship:

To all the kids here, show Andre some respect. He has achieved a lot more on and off the court than Roddick or any other current american ever will.

Off the court? Like what? He has enjoyed the limelight as is his privilege if he likes, tennis got him exposure. He gave probably $50,000 to a charter school and goes by once in a while for a photo op. That amount of money to him is like 50 cents to the average person. Don`t make a saint out of the guy, he is living for his own pleasure like everyone else...

World Beater
09-01-2006, 05:32 AM
baghdatis thought he was playing in shea stadium the first two sets.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-01-2006, 05:32 AM
case

see my other post, you must 10 years old max and a very idiotic child

I've been away for awhile. I think I'm remembering why. Are 50% of the posters on this forum under the age of 11? SO stupid.

World Beater
09-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Off the court? Like what? He has enjoyed the limelight as is his privilege if he likes, tennis got him exposure. He gave probably $50,000 to a charter school and goes by once in a while for a photo op. That amount of money to him is like 50 cents to the average person. Don`t make a saint out of the guy, he is living for his own pleasure like everyone else...

yes, but andre at least gives 50 cents...other athletes dont even give 5 cents. so andre has to commended for that.

remy23
09-01-2006, 05:33 AM

His foundation and his school out in Vegas are amazing things. Having seen both, I'm glad for the children it helps.

oschemi
09-01-2006, 05:34 AM
I`d agree, Andre is hitting well and his back treatments are working. But Baggy probably would have put him away if not for the severe cramping. The crowd is trying to do it for him with trashy behavior, that is a factor as well...

I cant wait for this Agassi shit to end in the 4th round. If Roddick cant do the job, then Rafa should do it in the semifinal if he makes it that far. However, I dont think Agassi will recover from this match physically let alone make the semifinal.

TomS64
Hi, I have a question about tonight match. What I don't understand is why Baghdatis lost his last challenge but still got a point? Or did I miss something?

Turkeyballs Paco

do you know how stupid you sound right now?

nobama
09-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi, I have a question about tonight match. What I don't understand is why Baghdatis lost his last challenge but still got a point? Or did I miss something?He didn't get a point, they replayed the point.

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:37 AM
His foundation and his school out in Vegas are amazing things. Having seen both, I'm glad for the children it helps.

Like I said, it`s easy to let go of $50,000 or so when you have many millions, amounts to chump change and in return he gets the place named after him and photo ops. Is a small sacrifice, a few crumbs. People are always looking for a mortal to worship, very sad phenomenon, sorta like the shrine to Diana even though she left nothing to hungry kids in her will... ;)

tennisforumname
09-01-2006, 05:37 AM
i've heard reports he's donated around $50,000,000 of his own money for his foundation (which may be exaggerated, but i doubt it). his grand slam for charity each year alone raises at least $20M, if not more. I've seen lists of all-time top athlete philanthropists, and he's usually ranked first for the amount of money he's donated (not just tennis, but in all sports)- i'm sure he could afford to give more, but don't downplay the importance of his charity work.

** edit: okay, i can't find the articles which quoted around $50M, so it can be speculation for now.. but I know he put in at least $20M or so to get the foundation and other charities off the ground in the first place. AND his grand slam for charity alone has raised over $60M, and even if it's just lending his name, he's responsible for people being willing to donate that money and having it go to a good cause. in the end at least he recognizes even just donating his name or image to an event has the ability to raise massive amounts of money, and he's responsible enough to do something good with it.

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:38 AM
do you know how stupid you sound right now?

Don`t just run your mouth, debate the point, I`ll be up a few more minutes... ;)

General Suburbia
09-01-2006, 05:39 AM
I only think it's appropriate that if they do play against each other, Roddick should win. Agassi's gone now, and losing to Andy will pretty much show us he's passing the torch down from one American tennis legend to another American player.
But for now, let's just see how well he plays next round.

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:39 AM
i've heard reports he's donated around $50,000,000 of his own money for his foundation (which may be exaggerated, but i doubt it). his grand slam for charity each year alone raises at least $20M, if not more. I've seen lists of all-time top athlete philanthropists, and he's usually ranked first for the amount of money he's donated (not just tennis, but in all sports)- i'm sure he could afford to give more, but don't downplay the importance of his charity work.

50 million?? No way Jose....LOL! And lending your name to raise money is easy, what about his own pocket, show some proof... ;)

Argenbrit
09-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Amazing match! Congrats to both players for a great fight. :D

Andre! :worship:

General Suburbia
09-01-2006, 05:46 AM
50 million?? No way Jose....LOL! And lending your name to raise money is easy, what about his own pocket, show some proof... ;)
Let's see...Andre's made 31 million in prize money. His wife's made 21 million in prize money. Add to that the numerous other millions he must have gotten from the ads, endorsements, and other work he put into...

Yup, 50 million sounds completely plausible.

Turkeyballs Paco
09-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Don`t just run your mouth, debate the point, I`ll be up a few more minutes... ;)

please, you wouldn't stand a chance. :p

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Let's see...Andre's made 31 million in prize money. His wife's made 21 million in prize money. Add to that the numerous other millions he must have gotten from the ads, endorsements, and other work he put into...

Yup, 50 million sounds completely plausible.

But completely speculative. Very common among the very wealthy to do "charity work," gives the wives something to do. Great for attention, photo ops, pr... The great entrepreneur of online casinos, Calvin Ayre, is also a notable "philanthropist," is part of the job description. Do you want to worship him too? LOL

TenHound
09-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Bad night at the ole MTF Saloon.... :(

Hard to believe that such a superb match btw. 2 Great Players could produce one of the most ridiculous vile off-point threads I've ever seen around here when clowns weren't just shooting off their mouths to fill time...

General Suburbia
09-01-2006, 06:05 AM
But completely speculative. Very common among the very wealthy to do "charity work," gives the wives something to do. Great for attention, photo ops, pr... The great entrepreneur of online casinos, Calvin Ayre, is also a notable "philanthropist," is part of the job description. Do you want to worship him too? LOL
Notice I ended at "plausible."

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Bad night at the ole MTF Saloon.... :(

Hard to believe that such a superb match btw. 2 Great Players could produce one of the most ridiculous vile off-point threads I've ever seen around here when clowns weren't just shooting off their mouths to fill time...

Stop whining, for after all it`s the internet and a message board. Perhaps you can show the same level of moral indignation towards a crowd that loudly boos a player for cheering himself on to his box. If Andre is the saint some think perhaps he will make a public denunciation himself, would expect nothing less... ;)

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Notice I ended at "plausible."

If you mean he has the money you are correct, but celebs typically give a very small piece of the pie, is all about image. They will not give up their lives of luxury to feed kids in Africa. Don`t be duped... ;)

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Best thing about this match was that it didn't end in a 5th set crapshoot. It was an enjoyable match, though Baghdatis was on another planet in the first 2 sets in addition to Agassi's excellent play and old Baldy held it together when it counted and the Agassi show continues on.

megadeth
09-01-2006, 06:14 AM
if roddick beats him, that will be the changing of the guard.

too bad, agassi's passing the mantle to an overrated player... :rolleyes:

Kalliopeia
09-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Andre has done more good off-court than most people ever do in their lives. Even if he'd never done anything but lend his name, that alone gets attention and money and is more than most people do. And he's certainly done more than that. Show some respect.

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Andre has done more good off-court than most people ever do in their lives. Even if he'd never done anything but lend his name, that alone gets attention and money and is more than most people do. And he's certainly done more than that. Show some respect.

A person who has only a loaf of bread that gives half of it to a hungry person, and with no cameras around, has done far more than Andre ever thought of doing and is far more worthy of sainthood...

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 06:35 AM
A person who has only a loaf of bread that gives half of it to a hungry person, and with no cameras around, has done far more than Andre ever thought of doing and is far more worthy of sainthood...

Didn't you know Andre is going to be the next leader of the U.N?

tennisforumname
09-01-2006, 06:38 AM
agreed, every celebrity can always give more. I get sick of seeing reports of people like Oprah being worshipped for the $1M or so they donate to charity each year, when it's realistically like 1% of their total income to begin with. middle and lower class people probably donate a much larger percentage of their total income to charity, and can afford it the least. but at least Agassi has given a name to a lot of these causes that people would otherwise ignore. And if you think that's not important, just look at celebs like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt- i can guarantee you like 70% of americans would have no interest or knowledge of some of the issues going on around the world if their charity work wasn't on the news every freakin day. yes it gets annoying, but in the end people like agassi might as well use the fact that we live in a celebrity obsessed world for some good.

MisterQ
09-01-2006, 06:40 AM
I was at a bar and we had them turn on this match in addition to the football and baseball. By the fifth set practically the whole bar was riveted, watching every point. I've never seen a bar fixated by tennis!

Congrats Andre on a great win, and kudos to Marcos for showing such great form and heart. :clap2:

TenHound
09-01-2006, 06:42 AM
One good thing to be said for AA is that from what I've read he pretty much set up Darren Cahill for life.

I agree that what AA has done is relative to other tennis players & jocks - which means a little counts for a lot. That said, speaking of Narcissistic tennis players, has anyone heard of JMac ever doing anything for anyone?

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 06:48 AM
And if you think that's not important, just look at celebs like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt- .

Jolie is an exception to the rule. She actually gives a substantial portion of her income and regularly goes to underdeveloped countries and gets her hands dirty...

Bilbo
09-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Agassi showed most people in here why he's so good. Most people thought Baggy will win this match.

21 year old cramping and 36 year old not. funny stuff.

Andre you bloody legend :yeah:

Fantome
09-01-2006, 07:14 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=getty-71674360mh198_2006_u_s_open_1_06_15_am&prov=getty

"Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus suffers a leg crap" ... he's got guts to do that in front of 23000 people!! hehehe... :worship:

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 07:15 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=getty-71674360mh198_2006_u_s_open_1_06_15_am&prov=getty

"Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus suffers a leg crap" ... he's got guts to do that in front of 23000 people!! hehehe... :worship:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

vincayou
09-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Even if the crowd is obviously 100% crowd behind Agassi, I'm pretty sure that the rest of the field just dreams of being Agassi's next opponent. That's for this kind of match you want to be a pro.

connectolove
09-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Congrats Andre!

I am sure that Marcos had a hard time with the cramp issue and the almost 24,000 expectators cheering for Agassi!

Roddick will finish Andre. Very possibly.

Hagar
09-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Just saw a couple of games this morning from the second and third set. I saw some beautiful tennis. The quality of the groundstrokes was fantastic. Clean and deep.

Chocobo
09-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Sounded like an incredible match, a classic...But André is used to that of course :worship:

Now please André win the tournament and create the biggest feat of tennis history :D

prima donna
09-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Hahahaha.

mallorn
09-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Wow, I didn't see this coming, not after Wimbledon and the hardcourt summer disaster. A fantastic win for Andre, I don't know how his body is holding up. :worship:

Marcos is such a talent, he just needs to be a bit more consistent. :hug: It was awful to see him cramping and down on the court, and getting a warning for it. :(

The crowd are always a factor in such matches, it was to be expected. At least they didn't boo Marcos for ten minutes straight.

Deea
09-01-2006, 08:35 AM
This was one of the best matches I've seen the whole year. Great quality and the victory could have easily gone to the other side. Thank you Andre!!! :worship: Thank you Marcos! :worship:

Black Adam
09-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Arthur Ashe holds 20,000 people, where are the 23,000 attendance reports coming from.

If I were a Pro I would give everything to play a match with such a crowd behind me:yeah:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
09-01-2006, 08:58 AM
I didn't see any chance when Andre lost the 4th set.But he can win the 5th. :worship:

Andre,you're great! :rocker2:

Duncan
09-01-2006, 08:59 AM
I missed this match but i really wish i watched it. What went on with the crowd? Was it the typical american patrionism?

partygirl
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
If I were a Pro I would give everything to play a match with such a crowd behind me:yeah:

:yeah:

oz_boz
09-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Yes! I guessed right, too. It'd be great if he could face Roddick in the 4th. Not that any of the two are my favourites exactly (although I've begun rooting for Andre as an underdog and a legend), but it'd be some drama for the home crowd.

Deathless Mortal
09-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Congratulations to Andre :worship:

hanabishi
09-01-2006, 09:45 AM
On a non-tennis related note, Greece just beat the US "Dream Team" 101-95 at the semifinals of the World Basketball Championship.

Since Baghdatis is a Greek Cypriot, I guess this is some sort of payback for that loss to Agassi.

See, revenge does exist, even though they're in different sports.

adee-gee
09-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Incredible, from both players. I haven't enjoyed a tennis match like that in a long, long time.

Incredible fight from Baggy, especially in the 4th. His attitude was :yeah: the whole match, he deserves a lot of credit for the way he conducted himself.

But Andre :worship: what can I say. I'm not even a fan, but I'm totally behind him at the moment. When he got broken at the beginning of the 5th, I was thinking how sad it would be for his last set in tennis to be a bagel, he looked totally gone. Amazing effort. At 4-4, when Baggy was cramping Agassi was a bag of nerves, I thought he was going to blow it. You could see how much it means to him, I can't see him getting past Roddick in R4 but it's been a great effort whatever happens from now in :worship:

Yes, the crowd were slightly rowdy at times but I just thought it was an amazing atmosphere and an absolutely memorable match. The booing when Marcos was cramping wasn't nice, but it was a minority.

On a completely unrelated topic, Steffi was looking surprisingly hot :hearts:

partygirl
09-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I can't see him getting past Roddick in R4 but it's been a great effort whatever happens from now in :worship:

Roddick retires agassi is the only suitable outcome.

Ays25
09-01-2006, 10:24 AM
way to go andre
you are the best ever

adee-gee
09-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Roddick retires agassi is the only suitable outcome.
Andy should throw the match :p

partygirl
09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
"Grrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Deejay
09-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Going on previous meetings Agassi owns Roddick so i dont see any reason why andre cant beat him in r4. Once they get in a rally roddick is toast

scarecrows
09-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Andre :worship:

Viken01
09-01-2006, 11:27 AM
one of the best match i have ever seen, Baghdatis you really are a fighter
Andre when i watch you i think, how the hell can you retire ?
now rest well :)

shakeyguy
09-01-2006, 11:58 AM
awesome tennis indeed. Too bad I fell asleep during the 4 set. And yeah Steffie looks fantastic.

njorker
09-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Can I just brag that I was one of the minority who voted that Andre will win this match? :dance:

cmurray
09-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Can I just brag that I was one of the minority who voted that Andre will win this match? :dance:

Me too. Actually, I think WE won this match. That was an inspiring match, to be sure. Gracias, Marcos. GO ANDRE!

Cheryl

Golfnduck
09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a match! I expected he'll beat Becker especially if he's in good health.

Martin
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Andre just becomes more of a living legend as time goes on :worship:

Shirogane
09-01-2006, 01:07 PM
i wish he could have won it in straight sets to save some energy...

Kip
09-01-2006, 01:07 PM
nice fight, Baghdatis, you really have heart :yeah:
too bad you were cramping :hug:
as for the crowd. thumbs down.

You said it. :cool:

Marcos! :hug:

Angle Queen
09-01-2006, 01:13 PM
baggy needs a lesson in strategy...he was trying to outhit dre at the baseline on th bh side...only nalby and safin can do that. dre's bh was amazing tonight.Finally someone else who thinks what I thought. Why would anyone try to trade BHs with AA? :shrug: I thought Pavel did it too much too.

And I was rather disappointed with some of AA's returns deep in the fifth (@4-all I think..., 15-40 in particular).

Too bad the Bagman was cramping. He still pulled off some amazing shots/returns basically hitting off just the one leg. If he can stay healthy, I think he's got a long, illustrious career ahead of him too.

As for the crowd, :rolleyes:...it's NYC. What do you expect?

shotgun
09-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Everything set for the all-American party in the Round of 16.

Hank777
09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
What a joke. Agassi could barely beat someone cramping.

Nice and weird match.
Duh ?!!? He got cramps cuz Agassi took him 2 the limit !!

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Finally someone else who thinks what I thought. Why would anyone try to trade BHs with AA? :shrug: I thought Pavel did it too much too.

As for the crowd, :rolleyes:...it's NYC. What do you expect?

You can have the greatest strategy in the world, but it counts for shit, if he can't hit the ball over the net. As for Pavel his backhand is his best shot.

Naranoc
09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
How embarassing. ESPN think that Agassi lost the match last night:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=574

Billabong
09-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Andre:worship: I only saw 3rd and 4th sets, I was sooo scared he would lose:eek: What a fight, I have no words:worship: Keep going Andre, win at least your next 2 matches;)

Warrior
09-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Marcos is the real winner of the match. He outclassed both Agassi and the crowd.

Yappa
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Heres a video from Agassis press conference (first minute or so missing):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LXMD5LYE

Blue Heart24
09-01-2006, 02:29 PM
ANDRE!!!!!! GREAT WIN!!! :worship:

Experimentee
09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Andre :D :bounce:
Simply amazing!

What an effort to beat a player as good as Marcos, especially struggling with pain in his back! Andre is truly a great player.
I just hope he wont be too tired for the next round and lose to Becker. That would not be a fitting end for this great career.

Experimentee
09-01-2006, 02:38 PM
If Marcos was cramping it was no excuse, cramp is not an injury and it was probably because Andre wore him out. If anything, Marcos should be embarassed that a 35 year old can outlast him in fitness.

Fumus
09-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I love Marcos. The guy was cramping in that one game and he's clearly in a huge amount of pain and he walks up to the baseline to return serve and he says "I'm okay, I'm okay" with a huge smile still half wincing from the pain. Marcos rocks!!

Andre choked at the end big time, he really didn't know what to do. In the end Marcos came back to play decent tennis but, just didn't have enough in the tank. Andre beat his ass though physically, the punisher played a masterful match running the Bagman into cramps just like he's done to soo many opponents in the past. Classic Andre, I didn't like the choke but he finished and I want to see him play Roddick in the qrts and bow out to an American.

Metis
09-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Marcos is the real winner of the match. He outclassed both Agassi and the crowd.
I agree 100% :yeah:
The way he spoke right after the match was very classy. He didn't mention anything about the cramping or the crowd as excuses and said very nice things about Andre (that's why they applauded him in the end). His behavior during the whole match was perfect in spite of the crowd (which was IMO the most important factor for his poor performance in the first 2 sets as well as the fall that hurt his wrist and affected his backhand strokes).
I was a little dissapointed with Andre. He didn't say anything about his opponent, didn't even mention his name. He could have silenced the crowd if he wanted when they were booing Marcos (especially when he was cramping), but obviously the situation was benefiting him and he didn't want to lose that advantage. Instead, he said that they gave him faith in the human spirit !!! :tape: I guess we should expect an even worse behavior in the next round.

In any case, it was a great match. It would have been even greater if it wasn't for the crowd... :tears:

Warrior
09-01-2006, 03:10 PM
The way he spoke right after the match was very classy. He didn't mention anything about the cramping or the crowd as excuses and said very nice things about Andre (that's why they applauded him in the end). His behavior during the whole match was perfect in spite of the crowd (which was IMO the most important factor for his poor performance in the first 2 sets as well as the fall that hurt his wrist and affected his backhand strokes).
I was a little dissapointed with Andre. He didn't say anything about his opponent, didn't even mention his name. He could have silenced the crowd if he wanted when they were booing Marcos (especially when he was cramping), but obviously the situation was benefiting him and he didn't want to lose that advantage. Instead, he said that they gave him faith in the human spirit !!! :tape: I guess we should expect an even worse behavior in the next round.

In any case, it was a great match. It would have been even greater if it wasn't for the crowd... :tears:

I didn't notice booing when Marcos was cramping. Still they were cheering at his errors when he was cramping. This was completely out of line. Even the French crowd would not have sank so low. :mad:

tangerine_dream
09-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Still they were cheering at his errors when he was cramping. This was completely out of line. Even the French crowd would not have sank so low. :mad:
:lol: You're kidding right?

ToanNguyen
09-01-2006, 03:34 PM

Agree completely.
What a let down from Agassi. I always respected him but the interview he did at the end reflected really bad on him, in my opinion. Especially the "the crown gave him faith in the human spirit". What the hell was that? Also, not even a mention of Marcos in his speech.
Shame on the crowd for the booing and shame on Agassi for his speech.

case
09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
if some who post here want to make personal attacks (my age) I guess they can,.

No i am not ten :rolleyes:
but a ten year old would have resulted to insults the way some of these posters have and ignored the argument. and apparently the was the average age at the match last night judging by their behavior.

those of you that are revering agassi are forgetting that tennis is not a blood sport.
maybe you ought to switch sports and go back to the coliseum and cheer on the gladiators or try the modern equivilant of boxing and remember to bring a newspaper to cover your self from the flying blood.
no one will mind your booing the opponent when he is beaten or injured.

agassi did revel in the crowd last night and that IMO makes him more of a jerk then the crowd-he encouraged it and didnt deplore it.

Lendl's Forehand
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
The hyperbolic and hysterical posts regarding the crowd are some of the funniest shit I've ever read. Lmfao! What that crowd did was absolutely nothing compared to a South American crowd at a Davis Cup match (or an ATP event in Argentina with a top Argentine playing a foreigner, or Chile with Rios, or at The French Open with Grosjean and Nadal, or Brazil with Guga, etc......).

Yeah the crowd won it. Agassi had very little to do with it. :rolleyes:

napki
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Congrats Andre! It was great match, especially the last 2 and a half sets. :worship:

I thought AA blown it in the begining of the 5th set, and then when he couldn't close the match with Marcos cramping but he proved me wrong. He's an amazing tactician but i didn't think he would last for 5 sets with Marcos playing at full force so the longer this match took the less i believed that he could pull it off.

Marcos' cramping was just in the wrong place in the wrong time. :hug: and yeah, he was the classy of the two. :worship:

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Baghdatis lost because of himself. Don't wanna have cramps in the fifth set? It's very simple: just STOP JOKING AROUND AND PLAY THE FIRST TWO. If he had played like that the first two, old baldy wouldn't have a chance.

mangoes
09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
For one night, tennis was the highlight. We complain that no one cares about tennis, yet complain when people care too much. Give me a break. New York City enjoyed tennis last night......How often is tennis, truly, the highlight of a city??

At the end of the match, it was more than obvious that Baghdatis was also a winner. He won the respect of the crowd with a very classy speech.

The last three sets of the match were filled with quality tennis. I also think that Baghdatis could have won had he played the initial two sets at a higher level. Yet, I am happy he didn't because Andre won:lol:

Jim Courier
09-01-2006, 04:43 PM
The hyperbolic and hysterical posts regarding the crowd are some of the funniest shit I've ever read. Lmfao! What that crowd did was absolutely nothing compared to a South American crowd at a Davis Cup match (or an ATP event in Argentina with a top Argentine playing a foreigner, or Chile with Rios, or at The French Open with Grosjean and Nadal, or Brazil with Guga, etc......).

Yeah the crowd won it. Agassi had very little to do with it. :rolleyes:
I agree with you except about Nadal at RG. He's liked a lot but the support is not unconditionnal, Nadal is pretty good at maintaining his RG popularity though. Dominating players have to be careful at RG.
What i dislike about the RG crowd:
-the unbelievably annoying whistling and booing at the first sign of a player checking the ball impact
-how pitiless and unforgiving is can be sometimes
But it also a good crowd that knows tennis, and can often be an important factor, especially for comebacks.

On topic i hope Agassi won't be too tired by his two matches..

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2006, 04:45 PM
You can't compare a regular season tournament with a Davis Cup match. Of course people are going to be nuts when it comes to their own countries.

adee-gee
09-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Those complaining about the "disgraceful" crowd are the people that are keeping tennis as an upper class, snobbish sport. It was a fantastic atmosphere.

If you think it's bad, maybe watch a game in England when Cristiano Ronaldo is playing :o

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Those complaining about the "disgraceful" crowd are the people that are keeping tennis as an upper class, snobbish sport. It was a fantastic atmosphere.

If you think it's bad, maybe watch a game in England when Cristiano Ronaldo is playing :o

It's only fantastic when their fave wins.

adee-gee
09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
It's only fantastic when their fave wins.
Agassi is far from my favourite, but the atmosphere totally added to the amazing spectacle and it was 100% understandable the way they got behind their man.

Neely
09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Amazing match, Andre! :)
Props for Marcos for fighting so hard, too :worship: He shrugged of these cramps pretty well! :eek:

I'm glad he won it!
Almost 1am in the morning, on a weekday, and hardly anybody left the court!

Unbelievable that Baghdatis cramped first before Agassi even though Agassi also seemed to walk on the skin of this teeth.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Agassi is far from my favourite, but the atmosphere totally added to the amazing spectacle and it was 100% understandable the way they got behind their man.

So it was a good atmosphere, that is fine and all. It's just many people who want to laud the crowd are the same ones who want to boot into other places for bad behaviour.

As long as they don't throw chairs or dangerous objects, then it's Ok, but come DC there will be some complaints about crowd antics.

ChinoRios4Ever
09-01-2006, 05:05 PM
simply awesome

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Great match and worth staying up till 5am for it to end..
too bad for Baggy but he will be back many times in the later stages of slams in the future.

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Roddick, finish this shit! It's time to end this crap.What a moron you are :rolleyes:
even though you are a F..sorry Ducktard, you should give a bit more respect to Agassi than that considering it is the last tournament of a legendary career.

personally i hope he thrashes Rod all ways, but i very much doubt it.

DDrago2
09-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I can't believe Agassi won. I haven't seen the match - how is this possible?

Warrior
09-01-2006, 05:42 PM
What a moron you are :rolleyes:
even though you are a F..sorry Ducktard, you should give a bit more respect to Agassi than that considering it is the last tournament of a legendary career.

personally i hope he thrashes Rod all ways, but i very much doubt it.

Did the crowd give "a bit more respect to Marcos" when he was cramping?

jasmin
09-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I can't believe some of the responses towards Agassi. I didn't know there was this much hate going on. I hate booing any athlete (even the ones that I don't like) but the crowds response had nothing to do with Agassi's character. What player tells the crowd what to do. Agassi's going to be gone soon enough....forever. Anyway great job Agassi and Marcos.

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Did the crowd give "a bit more respect to Marcos" when he was cramping?So what? its a patriotic crowd, should be used to it by now..
its no different than you see in nearly every other big crowd pulling for the home boy, too many bloody sensitive sissy's for me thesedays.
anyhow, they gave baggy a great reception when he left.

AgassiDomination
09-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Right, because only upper-class snobs don't like it when people behave like assholes. :scratch:
Add sissies.

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 06:14 PM
What a moron you are :rolleyes:

Many of us choose to give Agassi the same respect he showed an injured Baghdatis who was being booed by the crowd. No mention of Marcos in the post-match interview, no effort to sanction the crowd during the booing, a simple hand signal would have worked. It is a shame that Andre, an 8 time grand slam champion is content to go out as a pig. It`s his legacy, will be admired by pigs like yourself regardless but many sports stars would like to have more... ;)

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Many of us choose to give Agassi the same respect he showed an injured Baghdatis who was being booed by the crowd. No mention of Marcos in the post-match interview, no effort to sanction the crowd during the booing, a simple hand signal would have worked. It is a shame that Andre, an 8 time grand slam champion is content to go out as a pig. It`s his legacy, will be admired by pigs like yourself regardless but many sports stars would like to have more...;)Who are you calling a pig... you pig.

i dont care about fans being like that, it was the same for Federer when he played last year in the final, it was even worse when my player, Murray, was getting this kind of treatment v Kendrick... who cares :shrug: i like it... be a man and silence them by winning (and baggy was a man, he took it, didnt complain and almost won), of course the WHINING about the fans comes when their fave player loses.

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 06:31 PM
and by the way arseclown, cramping during a match is not an injury, its a loss of condition...
AA is 36, and played as hard... was he cramping?

TFan1156
09-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Who are you calling a pig... you pig.

Nice comeback, very original...LOL!

i dont care about fans being like that, it was the same for Federer when he played last year in the final, it was even worse when my player, Murray, was getting this kind of treatment v Kendrick... .

Any reasonable person sees that it takes pigs to boo someone down injured. It also takes a pig of an opponent to do nothing to stop it when a simple hand single to the crowd would have worked. But of course a punk kid in Scotland very much in need of a good old fashioned bitch slap isn`t go to see that...LOL

who cares :shrug: i like it... be a man and silence them by winning (and baggy was a man, he took it, didnt complain and almost won), of course the WHINING about the fans comes when their fave player loses.

You cannot hardly silence them when you are on the ground in pain, but nice try wimpboy.... ;) I`m a fan of niether player but do see clearly that the whole idea of "Saint Andre" is for suckers....

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Im not even a fan of Saint Andre
:lol:

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 06:48 PM
But of course a punk kid in Scotland very much in need of a good old fashioned bitch slap isn`t go to see that...LOLBring you and your posse of pigs on, pig ass.

tennisforumname
09-01-2006, 07:05 PM
a lot of people are complaining about how agassi announced his retirement beforehand because he wanted to be able to have the crowd on his side (if they knew it was his last US Open for sure), and how he should've just announced his retirement afterwards. first, agassi's camp specifically asked that there be no special tributes, ceremonies, etc. for him at the US Open- anything that's being done is out of his control. Second, the crowd was just as rowdy last year during the Blake match for example, among others he played. And that was WITHOUT a retirement announcement.

The guy's getting old, even if he didn't announce his retirement beforehand, I doubt anyone really thought he would continue playing next year (esp. after the horrible year he's had this year.) I think the crowd would still be as rowdy regardless. And all the commentators/media would run stories about it being his "probable" last US Open, so you'd still have the hype, and non-stop retirement discussions all the time.

I thought he mentioned Marcos at the beginning of his post-match speech; true he could've done more, but it's not like McEnroe asked him anything about Marcos to begin with-- he was playing up to Agassi, asking him only questions about himself and his run, so I don't think the fault was only Agassi's.

Corey Feldman
09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
The Agassi-Mcenroe on court interview was pretty cheesy...
all lovey dovey stuff.
and motormouth Mac never misses a chance to mention himself as much as possible :lol:

Kalliopeia
09-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Anyone playing Andre knows what they're in for. Marcos himself said he knew he'd be the bad guy that night. None of these guys are stupid, they know what's going on. It's not nice but it's just the way it is at the US Open. Getting too upset about it is kind of useless.

Has anyone heard how Andre's holding up today? I wonder what kind of shape he's in, considering that he seemed to me to be hurting before the match was even over last night.

marcRD
09-01-2006, 08:09 PM
I would be scared if I was Nadal or Federer going into a match against Agassi. As Agassi obviously isnt capable of winning against them, I wonder what the crazy audiance would do to get him the trophy. They seem to just get more hysterical the longer Agassi stays alive. I can totaly see them throwing things against Nadal and Federer, maybe even storm the court when Agassi will be in trouble.

marcRD
09-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I am just kind of sad a legend like Agassi needs to be in the shadow of the audiance, this is not Andres tournament anymore this is the tournament of hysterical fanatics in the audiance.

marcRD
09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
It is quite possible that many ignorant Agassi supporters in the crowd, assumed that Baghdatis was from Baghdad and so thought it appropriate to behave like Abu Ghraib prison guards at a tennis match.

jasmin
09-01-2006, 08:24 PM
OMG...

Jagermeister
09-01-2006, 09:36 PM
the crowd was almost as embarassing as the USA Networking commentary team. Yikes

Honestly I can't be unbiased when it comes to Agassi, I'm tired of all these cheesy shit.

shotgun
09-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree with those who said that Baghdatis took it (the crowd behaviour) like a man. I have a hard time respecting guys who whine about the crowd after a match (especially if they lost). They have to understand that this, although unpleasant, is part of the sport and happens everywhere. And Baghdatis gets my respect for that. :worship:

chicky841
09-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Wow I went to bed just totally in awe. It was an amazing match, the first 2 sets had me thinking this is the match I was lookin forward to? Silly me.

The crowd sucked, but I gotta say Marcos' handled it very well. I think he actually used to crowd a little to boost himself rather than let them get him down. He should take alot from this match.

tennisforumname
09-01-2006, 11:42 PM
i agree, if people are going to complain about the crowds look at the commentators. Courier (i think it was) was interviewing Pavel in the tunnel before their match, and said "it depends on how many people are in your box" when Pavel said he hoped a few people would be cheering for him. if the supposed to be unbiased commentators are acting like that, what do you expect out of the crowd?

musefanatic
09-01-2006, 11:47 PM
I can't believe Agassi did it, thank god i taped the match!! Just about to watch it actually, i woke up and looked on teletext and was gobsmacked! Amazing! :)

chicky841
09-02-2006, 12:18 AM
i agree, if people are going to complain about the crowds look at the commentators. Courier (i think it was) was interviewing Pavel in the tunnel before their match, and said "it depends on how many people are in your box" when Pavel said he hoped a few people would be cheering for him. if the supposed to be unbiased commentators are acting like that, what do you expect out of the crowd?

Courier was extremely rude when he said that. It was bad enough when he said it once but I heard him repeat it a few times.

As for ppl saying that Agassi can do something about the crowd I agree. I mean he cant shut them up exactly but he can ask them to be quiet. But Im pretty sure he wont :rolleyes: I remember Marcos doing something like that at the Aussie when his supporters got a bit too rowdy. Agassi's crowd may be bigger and harder to control but he could at least put in a little effort.

Corey Feldman
09-02-2006, 12:26 AM
hehe @ that Courier comment.
rude bastard.

TFan1156
09-02-2006, 02:43 AM
I agree with those who said that Baghdatis took it (the crowd behaviour) like a man. I have a hard time respecting guys who whine about the crowd after a match (especially if they lost). They have to understand that this, although unpleasant, is part of the sport and happens everywhere.

It appears you have your head well inserted up your ass and are seeing things up there no one else is seeing. At what other regular tennis tournament has someone been loudly booed for writhing on the ground injured? LOL And even if you could legitimately cite such a case, it would be adsurd to insist that no one complain about it....

Merton
09-02-2006, 02:45 AM
It was a very dramatic match and it provides a good argument for the people arguing for best of 3 sets in the first rounds of the slams. Marcos came out with the wrong strategy at the beginning, he was trading groundstrokes with Agassi standing on the baseline, he committed too many unforced errors as a result. In the 3rd set he moved back a step, giving him just a bit more time to set up his groundstrokes. I believed that Marcos could win even when he was 2 sets down, but in the end he just ran out of gas.

NATAS81
09-02-2006, 02:58 AM
Crazy match. You gotta watch all Agassi matches to see how everything plays out. The crowd, opponent, Agassi and how the crowd feeds off of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqY-6oY8i5c

brent-o
09-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Agree completely.
What a let down from Agassi. I always respected him but the interview he did at the end reflected really bad on him, in my opinion. Especially the "the crown gave him faith in the human spirit". What the hell was that? Also, not even a mention of Marcos in his speech.
Shame on the crowd for the booing and shame on Agassi for his speech.

In his defense, Agassi said a lot of nice stuff about Marcos in his post-match press conference.

tennisforumname
09-02-2006, 04:00 AM
i read the interview myself, and here's some of those comments for you doubters:

Q. What was your feeling leading 4 Love in the fourth set? See him coming back, he got better and better.
ANDRE AGASSI: Yeah, well, I was pretty relaxed at that point to say the least. I was comfortable I could put the match away from that point. But that game, I felt real relaxed. Geez, he really upped it. He really played a few spectacular points.
Once he got one break back, now he's forcing me to have to serve out the match. The whole dynamics changed. While it seems like you're a long ways up at 4 0, you're not. You're a few sloppy points away from or a few great points on his end from having to serve out the match. Anything can happen at that point.
Sure enough, he just went with the momentum, took his chances, hit his shots, and just played better than I did from that point through the end of the fourth.

Q. What do you think about this guy, Marcos Baghdatis, his charisma? Is he someone who is going to follow up for you?
ANDRE AGASSI: It's a guy like that that makes you that makes it easier to walk away from the game because you see what kind of hands it's in. He's just a true professional with a lot of style and a lot of charisma and a lot of talent.

shotgun
09-02-2006, 02:15 PM
It appears you have your head well inserted up your ass and are seeing things up there no one else is seeing. At what other regular tennis tournament has someone been loudly booed for writhing on the ground injured? LOL And even if you could legitimately cite such a case, it would be adsurd to insist that no one complain about it....

In Roland Garros this year Roddick was booed when he retired with an injury. Same for Rafter in New York some years ago. It's not my fault you started following tennis yesterday, dimwit. ;)

denisgiann
09-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Βecker take the old man out in one sitting and let him start the babysitting :devil: .

Tennis Fool
09-02-2006, 11:26 PM
In the Baghdatis/Agassi match, there is a woman with black hair next to Steffi who is wearing the same blue jacket. Who is she?