what will mtf think of the ny crowd after this baggy-agassi match? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

what will mtf think of the ny crowd after this baggy-agassi match?

ugotlobbed
09-01-2006, 05:32 AM
idk i think this is absolutely crazy, crazy

hablovah19
09-01-2006, 05:33 AM
and people think the french crowd is the worst... :haha:

oschemi
09-01-2006, 05:33 AM
idk i think this is absolutely crazy, crazy

Even the wildest animals dont act like this. It is absolutely ridiculous. :mad: :mad:

dmit424
09-01-2006, 05:34 AM
It's a city, so there are always going to be some rowdy dudes, and with these circumstances I am dissapointed with some of the crowd but not surprised or anything. I don't think this is a horrible crowd, really. Just some people in there who have no respect for Bag tonight, which is unfortunate.

savesthedizzle
09-01-2006, 05:34 AM
It's really really disgusting. One thing to support your player, another to boo a player who is TRYING even though in pain. :rolleyes:

ugotlobbed
09-01-2006, 05:35 AM
yea new yorkers man they have no mercy haha

dmit424
09-01-2006, 05:35 AM
It's just upsetting to see him loved so much at Melbourne and being ate up sacrificially here in NYC.

Veronique
09-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Classless is what comes to mind. The French crowd are still the worse though.

ugotlobbed
09-01-2006, 05:39 AM
haha yea frenchies hahahahha

ugotlobbed
09-01-2006, 05:40 AM
john mcenroe is speaking everyone !!!

Andre♥
The crowd was horrible, but the same thing would have happened if this was Cyrpus Open.

ugotlobbed
they love him now!!!

tripb19
09-01-2006, 05:42 AM
I'm disgraced by the Australian commentators. The same commentators who were blatantly cheering for Agassi are the same ones who were riding high on Baghdatis' bandwagon in January to gander Greek-Australian interest. Fickle scumbags.

ToanNguyen
09-01-2006, 05:45 AM
The crowd is disgusting. It's pretty much ruin the whole great match.

croat123
09-01-2006, 05:45 AM
it's disgusting. the guy is dying on court and giving it his all and they are booing him and cheering his double faults. fucking barbarians. and then the american players complain when they come to DAVIS CUP in croatia that the crowd is terrible because it is against them. fucking bullshit

Tennis Fool
09-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Who cares what MTF thinks. In NYC, it's Agassi v. the Beast (and not Mirnyi). Ofcourse, the hero slays the dragon. :p

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 05:49 AM
On ESPN Sam Gore said, when Bag was making his comeback ''A loss for Agassi tonight would be a loss for the game of tennis.'' What bullshit!

ugotlobbed
09-01-2006, 05:49 AM
hahah how cool is gil reyes that freaking mobster hahhaha

FaceyFacem
09-01-2006, 05:51 AM
sorry, worst of ALL, agassi said that the crowd gives him faith in the human spirit? what spirit? the spirit of rudeness and lack of compassion for those writhing on the ground in pain?

the crowd was HORRIBLE

OddJob
09-01-2006, 05:51 AM
What do u people expect!? It's Andre's last tourney ever and he's playing at the USO. The crowd was electric, crazy, loud and yes rude at times. Baggy is a big boy so he'll be fine. He's just getting a little of what the crowds at the AO did to his opponents. :p

Clara Bow
09-01-2006, 05:52 AM
I was disgusted by the fact that they were booing Marcos for having cramps. My lord- that sucks, that flat out sucks. He was playing his heart out and they boo him.

I never understand why people think to root for their player they must be asshole boors in regards to the other player.

Witht he commentators, etc. talking about how great such an atmosphere is- I am worried that this will encourage even more assy behavior. Are they going to start thowing batteries at the opponents?

I hate unfair booing. I have seen it at a number of tournaments (including in the past 16 months the FO and at Madrid)- but really booing a player for cramping takes the cake for asshole behavior at a GS or Masters tournament.

This was a great match with some awesome heart by both players- and I hate the fact that some of the fans were such freaking asshats during the match.

tangerine_dream
09-01-2006, 05:54 AM
They still are. :)

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 05:54 AM
I actually never thought at any time that the crowd was going too far. Of course they were behind Agassi.
Roddick v Agassi will be interesting, if it happens.

ToanNguyen
09-01-2006, 05:57 AM
sorry, worst of ALL, agassi said that the crowd gives him faith in the human spirit? what spirit? the spirit of rudeness and lack of compassion for those writhing on the ground in pain?

the crowd was HORRIBLE
I know. I was respecting Agassi before and want him to win. But with that comment, I kind of take it back. Is that the human spirit? Classless.

nobama
09-01-2006, 05:59 AM
:bigcry:

Tennis Fool
09-01-2006, 06:00 AM
I was disgusted by the fact that they were booing Marcos for having cramps. My lord- that sucks, that flat out sucks. He was playing his heart out and they boo him.

I never understand why people think to root for their player they must be asshole boors in regards to the other player.

Witht he commentators, etc. talking about how great such an atmosphere is- I am worried that this will encourage even more assy behavior. Are they going to start thowing batteries at the opponents?

I hate unfair booing. I have seen it at a number of tournaments (including in the past 16 months the FO and at Madrid)- but really booing a player for cramping takes the cake for asshole behavior at a GS or Masters tournament.

This was a great match with some awesome heart by both players- and I hate the fact that some of the fans were such freaking asshats during the match.
I met a man once who was new to tennis. He went to a tennis match where he loudly made his opinions known. They kicked him out for being too noisy. :lol: He said he didn't get it, you're supposed to be loud at a game!

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 06:01 AM
it's disgusting. the guy is dying on court and giving it his all and they are booing him and cheering his double faults. fucking barbarians. and then the american players complain when they come to DAVIS CUP in croatia that the crowd is terrible because it is against them. fucking bullshit

Don't know about the Davis Cup, but I was in Toronto when the Toronto Croatians heckled and booed Daniel Nestor because his ancestors are from some other part of the old Jugoslavia. They were Barbarians, for sure.

JimmyV
09-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Man you are some jaded people. Jesus, what the hell do you expect them to do? Even Baghdatis had to smile because the crowd was so into it, its a great thing to see. Sure they could have been a bit nicer to Baggy but they gave him a standing ovation when the match was over. Maybe you want to see a tennis match played in polite silence, but every single person i watched the match with and talked to thought the crowd was amazing.

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Whatever........., the match was good, a fitting prelude for the real excitement of Federer v Henman in a few hours time.

Rafa = Fed Killa
Everyone wants Agassi to win and they will boo any opponent in any situation to help him.

gillian
Having been in the stadium for the Pavel/Agassi match, I can safely say that the crowd tonight was much more brazen than Monday night's match. It irritated me that they cheered Baghdatis' errors and booed him while he was cramping. :mad:

However, I can't say this behavior is specific to the NY crowd. I recall the Brits acting up during some of Henman's matches; and I still remember the French acting really wrong during last year's Grosjean/Nadal match.

Guess that's human nature.

Did I just quote Michael Jackson? :eek:

gillian
09-01-2006, 06:09 AM
On ESPN Sam Gore said, when Bag was making his comeback ''A loss for Agassi tonight would be a loss for the game of tennis.'' What bullshit!

:rolleyes: Jingoistic claptrap.

Allstar
09-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Disgraceful really

It goes far to far. Cheering double faults, slowing Baggy up, calling out when the balls in etc. The worst was when Baghdatis hit an absolute blinding shot down the line and then because he shows a bit of emotion gets booed with no recognition from the crowd for the amazing shot.

*Viva Chile*
09-01-2006, 06:13 AM
The crowd behaved well from my chilean view :p
We are still the only country in the world where we throw chairs to the other players :rolleyes: :o

Regenbogen
09-01-2006, 06:14 AM
I can't really blame them. If you're really into something, you're going to get mad about everything little thing that could possibly be bad for your guy and wildly excited about everything that could possibly be good. I'm not like that about Agassi, but I know how it feels. They were perfectly ready to acknowledge Baghdatis once he'd lost. I just don't think they were that horrible or anything, I don't get it :shrug:

zicofirol
I hope if Agassi - Roddick play the crowd is as anti-roddick as they where anti-baghdatis.

Jlee
I loved the match! Great job Andre :worship:

I'm actually going to get to see this legend play live...I didn't think it was possible towards the end of the match. WOW... :eek:

Clara Bow
09-01-2006, 06:17 AM
snort* No one here was campaigning for matches to be played in silence. In fact, I think lots of cheering is nice because it raises the energy level of the match. I was watching some WTA matches from Eastbourne and the crowd was so silent it was hard not to fall asleep.

But does that mean we have to wildly cheer first serve faults, lets, and double faults; scream "OUT!" during the middle of rallies; or boo players for having the nerve to cramp up on court? Nope.

Exactly. No one is saying they don't want cheering. But really, why be so hateful to the opponent to the point where you are booing them for cramps. I just don't get it at all.

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 06:19 AM
The crowd behaved well from my chilean view :p
We are still the only country in the world where we throw chairs to the other players :rolleyes: :o

It's OK, the Argentinians take them home and consider them a bonus prize for winning their match.

*Viva Chile*
09-01-2006, 06:23 AM
It's OK, the Argentinians take them home and consider them a bonus prize for winning their match.
Actually Chile won that match... but with the cost that Chile couldn't play in their own country for 2 years.

buddyholly
09-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Actually Chile won that match... but with the cost that Chile couldn't play in their own country for 2 years.

Well, you can't have a tennis match if there is nowhere to sit.

*Viva Chile*
09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Well, you can't have a tennis match if there is nowhere to sit.
:haha: :p

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Hahahaha, they were such a fantastic crowd, there was more noise in a cemetery.

uglyamerican
09-01-2006, 07:40 AM
We should have let New York seceed from the country as they wanted to during the Civil War.

Mistaflava
09-01-2006, 07:42 AM
the best part was the cheering before the points were even done.

Whitler...add the Flushing Meadows crowd to the ass clown contest.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 07:44 AM
23 000 linespeople calling out and Flava I will think about that request.

Apemant
09-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I really don't understand what drives people to do that. I'd rather eat my hands and cut off my tongue than clap or yell at the opponent's unforced errors and double faults.

vincayou
09-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Some people of MTF will be outraged (but will add that French crowd is worse even if they probably haven't seen Grosjean Nadal), other (mainly american) will insult them in return (and will add that the French crowd is worse), some will say it's great (even if some feel outraged when it's in RG where the French crowd is worse).

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Some people of MTF will be outraged (but will add that French crowd is worse even if they probably haven't seen Grosjean Nadal), other (mainly american) will insult them in return (and will add that the French crowd is worse), some will say it's great (even if some feel outraged when it's in RG where the French crowd is worse).

Stop being logical. The RG crowd are a bunch of dirty Frenchies who only care about disrupting matches and don't like tennis, but the NY crowd behaved like people worshipping at a holy/sacred site.

vincayou
09-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Stop being logical. The RG crowd are a bunch of dirty Frenchies who only care about disrupting matches and don't like tennis, but the NY crowd behaved like people worshipping at a holy/sacred site.

:lol:

Anyway, it's the dream of 99% of players to be in a night session with Agassi this US open.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 09:21 AM
For those who don't get it, yes I was being sarcastic.

I just wish Karol Kucera was Agassi's last opponent.

Deea
09-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I think they were totally exaggerating. :o :o I mean, come on, I know, everybody loves Andre and wanted him to win but they had absolutly no respect for Marcos. I mean, ok, yelling once or twice when Baghdatis made a mistake, but not all the f**king time! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This reminded me of the croatian public and the DC...and not in a good way :rolleyes:

vidhya_srini
09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
did they behave same way in last yr finals?

I♥PsY@Mus!c
09-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Poor Marcos.He was playing in hell. :explode:

adee-gee
09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
The booing of Baggy when he cramped was bad, but I thought the crowd contributed to the amazing spectacle, it was an astonishing atmosphere :shrug:

kronus12
09-01-2006, 11:00 AM
geez some of you posters need to grow a thicker skin, of course the crowd is going to play up a icon of theirs is playing his last tournment and everytime an opponent is going to step on the court against agassi has to know what he's facing if you think that crowd was bad try watching a davis cup match in argentina those crowds make the american one's look like upstanding citzens.
Agassi deserves his time in the sun at least we can say we saw one of the greatest players play his last tournament.

General Suburbia
09-01-2006, 11:23 AM
We should have let New York seceed from the country as they wanted to during the Civil War.
...wait, when were they ever confederates?

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 11:26 AM
geez some of you posters need to grow a thicker skin, of course the crowd is going to play up a icon of theirs is playing his last tournment and everytime an opponent is going to step on the court against agassi has to know what he's facing if you think that crowd was bad try watching a davis cup match in argentina those crowds make the american one's look like upstanding citzens.
Agassi deserves his time in the sun at least we can say we saw one of the greatest players play his last tournament.

Thank you Socrates.

Black Adam
09-01-2006, 11:39 AM
did they behave same way in last yr finals?
They didn't have the guts to boo feds but they really cheered AA very loudly.

delsa
09-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Classless is what comes to mind. The French crowd are still the worse though.
One correction: the crowd from Roland Garros. I don't see why you don't generalize with NYkers and do it with the élite of Parisians...

They're hated even inside Paris here. The population who practice tennis and watch it in Paris is the worst of the city especially in the Auteuil district (that these pompous bastards call the "village d'Auteuil" btw... :rolleyes: ). I like my banlieusards and my left bank thank you...

yomike
09-01-2006, 12:39 PM
New York the politest city in the world? Get outta here!
ALASTAIR JAMIESON CONSUMER AFFAIRS CORRESPONDENT

IT IS the city where eye contact is considered an act of aggression and the most frequently used part of a car is the horn.

But New York is the most polite place in the world, according to a survey which ranked its famously brusque citizens well ahead of those in London in kindness and good manners.

The Big Apple scored 80 per cent in a series of tests, including dropping papers in a street in a busy area, seeing how long it took for someone to help, noting whether doors were held open and if shop assistants said thank you after making a sale.

Reader's Digest magazine carried out the tests by sending journalists to cities in 35 countries. London and Paris were in joint 15th place with a score of 57 per cent, while India's Mumbai came bottom with 32 per cent.

Although the United States is famous for its "have a nice day" service culture, New Yorkers have long been considered gruff and impatient, particularly the taxi drivers.

But former mayor Ed Koch said the 11 September terror attacks had given the city's inhabitants a new perspective. "Since 9/11 New Yorkers are more caring," he said. "They understand the shortness of life."

When another former mayor, Rudolph Giuliani, introduced a raft of "politeness" by-laws in the 1990s, such as a $50 fine for putting feet on subway seats, the move was greeted with astonishment by residents.

Native New Yorker Dan Norman, 36, from East Rockaway, said: "The thing to remember is that New Yorkers are not rude, they are brusque.

"People will listen to you, but you've got to cut to the chase." Katherine Walker, the editor-in-chief of Reader's Digest British edition, said London was tenth out of 18 European cities tested.

"This was the world's biggest real-life test of common courtesy," she said. "The results were often surprising and consistently thought-provoking."

Looks like the researcher who made this study failed to attend the US Open. Or he made all this up and made NY look like Mother Teresa

NicoFan
09-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Who cares what MTF thinks. In NYC, it's Agassi v. the Beast (and not Mirnyi). Ofcourse, the hero slays the dragon. :p

Indeed.

99% of the time, the feelings of the people on MTF are in direct contrast to the rest of the tennis world. Absolutely no reality here.

I love the NY crowd. :yeah:

Especially since I am a New Yawker. ;)

Chocobo
09-01-2006, 12:51 PM
For those who don't get it, yes I was being sarcastic.

It's a wise precision. I'm sure some people here didn't catch the irony at first, as they really have this way of thinking :lol:

DrJules
09-01-2006, 01:17 PM
They didn't have the guts to boo feds but they really cheered AA very loudly.

Crowds in grand slam finals usually pay more for their tickets and tend to be more refined and civilised. Consequently, thet focused on cheering rather the unacceptable booing which happended at last nights zoo.

Your post implies an almost disapproval of their good conduct last year in the final.

Martin
09-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I think it brings a new dimension to tennis and it adds to the game. Put it this way the US and French Open crowds bring much more to the tournament and the atmosphere than the ones at Wimbledon who are more interested in drinking their Pimms.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Indeed.

99% of the time, the feelings of the people on MTF are in direct contrast to the rest of the tennis world. Absolutely no reality here.

Hahahaha, you are a funny one you know that.

As for the NY crowd, they are what they are, but that means it's OK to bag anywhere else where they make a lot of noise, but it's American bashing when it comes to NY.

Pureracket
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
So, I see I'm the only one in this thread who's been to an European futball match.

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 02:48 PM
So, I see I'm the only one in this thread who's been to an European futball match.

Is tennis the same sport as football?

kapranos
09-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Some people get drunk as the match goes, get over yourselves. If BAG can't deal with the crowd, he should find another job.

kapranos
09-01-2006, 02:52 PM
geez some of you posters need to grow a thicker skin.

:worship: MTF is a bunch of babies!

star
09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Crowds in grand slam finals usually pay more for their tickets and tend to be more refined and civilised. Consequently, thet focused on cheering rather the unacceptable booing which happended at last nights zoo.

If only you could count on people with money being refined and civilized. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that a lot of them can be loutish, demanding, and rude.

Anyway, it's kind of scary to be in a crowd yelling full throatedly for Andre when you are pulling for the other guy. :eek:

star
09-01-2006, 03:03 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This confirms the sad state of education in the U.S.

tennisphan
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Relax people. Realize its Andre's last open and its very emotional for a lot of people. People don't want to see Andre retire yet. Marcos knew going in that the crowd would be loud and accepted it, but people sitting home watching cant?

Its a late night match, with plenty of alcohol in all forms being served, combined with an electric atmosphere and emotion.

Sorry if you were sitting home pissed.

Try to not let it upset you to much...

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 03:22 PM
There needs to be some consistency, it's Ok to cheer double faults and errors and boo in Argentina, France, Spain, Chile, Australia as well as New York, then all is good then.

kapranos
09-01-2006, 03:32 PM
If it's all good, then why don't you stfu? :)

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 03:35 PM
kapranos, I don't take you seriously, so do the same with me and it would be appreciated. My tone of posts not obvious enough for you.

*Ljubica*
09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Cheering your player's great shots and success is wonderful..................cheering his opponents' mistakes and booing him while injured is ill-mannered, classless crap whether the crowd doing it are from New York, Paris, Argentina or wherever. My own personal opinion is that the New York crowd are one of the most ill-mannered and badly behaved in the world - many people will disagree with me and it is their prerogative to do so. Of course Marcos will get over it - he is a professional and a nice guy - but it doesn't make their behaviour towards him (or Pavel) acceptable in my opinion. And I couldn't give a **** that it is Agassi's last tournament - that stll doesn't give a load of hooligans the right to behave like they did - they weren't a load of kids in Primary School - they were adults and should have behaved a hell of a lot better.

lunahielo
09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by GeorgeWHitler
Thank you Socrates.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

I only watched the first two sets~~sounds as if I missed something.
However, I am sure they will show it again & again ~~ad nauseum. :eek: :eek:
luna

supersexynadal
09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Eventhough i felt that the crowd were booing for the hell of it (some of them) its new york. Not my fav crowd but thats what makes it the us open. In spain its the same, french crowd, even worse. You cant expect EVERYONE to be polite

kapranos
09-01-2006, 03:45 PM
kapranos, I don't take you seriously, so do the same with me and it would be appreciated. My tone of posts not obvious enough for you.

No it's too obvious, hence the stfu. :)

And no one takes your anti-American rants seriously. :angel:

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
No it's too obvious, hence the stfu. :)

And no one takes your anti-American rants seriously. :angel:

Being insulted by yourself is like getting hit with warm lettuce.

I am still waiting for your next conspiracy theory. Keep them up, they are entertaining.

scoobs
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
What do I think of the crowd?

Exactly what I would expect - it's a very emotional tournament when Agassi plays, they're willing him on, they absolutely adore him and it's bound to be tough for the opponent. Sometimes they're crossing the line a bit but you have to look at the context - were I in Ashe last night for that match, I would have been going bonkers too.

mangoes
09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
For one night, tennis was the highlight. We complain that no one cares about tennis, yet complain when people care too much. Give me a break. New York City enjoyed tennis last night......How often is tennis the highlight of a city??

At the end of the match, it was more than obvious that Baghdatis was also a winner. He won the respect of the crowd.

Mistaflava
09-01-2006, 05:30 PM

:haha:

TMJordan
09-01-2006, 05:33 PM
The Crowd---It Makes Me Sick

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2006, 05:41 PM
People give Agassi a lot more than he deserves.

Experimentee
09-01-2006, 05:48 PM
What do u people expect!? It's Andre's last tourney ever and he's playing at the USO. The crowd was electric, crazy, loud and yes rude at times. Baggy is a big boy so he'll be fine. He's just getting a little of what the crowds at the AO did to his opponents. :p

Completely agree. Marcos should be used to it after the way his fans act at the AO every year to his opponents.
Its just a special occasion for the NY crowd because they've seen Andre for so many years and it could have been his last match. They probably knew it was the last time he would play, so they tried to give it their all.

Neely
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Well, what does MTF think? :scratch: :lol:
What do I think? The boos when Baghdatis was lying on the floor fighting against his cramps were totally unnecessary and they cheered/clapped Baghdatis' first serve faults a bit too often. (it often enough happnens in many other matches too, but usually not so often). And 'out' calls by spectators should not happen. But well, the fans of Baghdatis also shouted such and other stuff to Baghdatis' oppponents, this time it was against him.

With the difference that the NY crowd saluted Baghdatis with a standing ovation almost as great as Agassi's. In Roland Garros they usually had booed many players off the court, winning or losing, whether it is a big champion who won or somebody who had to retire due to injury. (now the usually the bullshit is coming "but it happened in NY too". True, but I'm talking about the frequency for that to happen, not singular case once going 10 years back).

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Good one Neely.

Scotso
09-01-2006, 06:28 PM
It was pretty disgusting.

Scotso
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Indeed.

You wouldn't have booed Baghdatis, though. ;) :kiss:

Pixie
09-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Replace Agassi with a french player ranked in the #300 and hey, you're part of the RGC (roland garros circus).

Pureracket
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Is tennis the same sport as football?Point. . . .?

alfonsojose
09-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Dumb thread. There's no nice crowds in situations like these. I would like to see wimby crowds the day a british player reaches the final. And Baggy isn't an angel. Those "i have a big heart" punches :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
09-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Point. . . .?

It was so obvious and you missed it.

World Beater
09-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Completely agree. Marcos should be used to it after the way his fans act at the AO every year to his opponents.
Its just a special occasion for the NY crowd because they've seen Andre for so many years and it could have been his last match. They probably knew it was the last time he would play, so they tried to give it their all.

at least marcos made the effort to try and come them down. I'm not saying andre should have done the same, but for him to act like "sage agassi" and talk about the wonderful human spirit of booing marcos. I wanted to throw up.

World Beater
09-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Dumb thread. There's no nice crowds in situations like these. I would like to see wimby crowds the day a british player reaches the final. And Baggy isn't an angel. Those "i have a big heart" punches :rolleyes:

sorry, but marcos wanted to win the match and conducted himself with a lot of class. For him to get emotional after a great point, how unrighteous :rolleyes:

i can name several players who celebrate after almost meaningless points, just for the sake of celebrating.

Kalliopeia
09-02-2006, 06:54 AM
I love the hand (or fist) on his heart. He's an emotional player, and he's feeling it when he does that. Love it.

Jagermeister
09-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Booing somebody who's laid down on the court with cramps was very very tacky. Baldo didn't even make an attempt to calm the crowd down. I just think he's so phony. But I understand the crowd reaction and they're on par with some of the other partisan crowds I've seen through the years.

WhataQT
09-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Jon Wertheim comments about the NY crowd:

Background noise
Are the fans for Agassi's night matches out of control?
Posted: Friday September 1, 2006 11:32PM; Updated: Saturday September 2, 2006 1:05AM

Jon Wertheim will answer questions from SI.com users in his mailbag every Wednesday.

OK, I know he is the most beloved player ever and hey, this is NYC, but what in the hell? The crowds at the U.S. Open night matches with Andre Agassi are the most vulgar, embarrassing crowds I have ever seen -- booing challenges, cheering double faults, cheering an opponent's cramps, screaming "out" to confuse linespeople and on and on. I am worried that these people are so goonish that they could be unduly influencing the umpires and linespeople during the match. And also, what is up with the favoritism in Andy Roddick's scheduling? Why does he get to go to the third round before everyone else? This is leaning way to close to Ugly American for me. If the Australian Open and Wimbledon can be a little classy when a foreign player is up against a native, why is it so hard for people to learn a little etiquette?
Charles, New York

A lot of you made similar observations. And when I returned home at an ungodly hour Friday morning, the first thing my wife asked was: "What was up with the crowd?" I'm not sure how this played out on television, but, honestly, I didn't sense this vulgarity. Sure, they cheered like crazy for Agassi. They occasionally clapped for Marcos Baghdatis' errors. And they performed the wave -- the "Mexican wave,' as the chair ump bizarrely called it. But, sitting 10 or so rows behind the court, I didn't pick up on the "goonish" behavior, "rampant jingoism," etc. And I guarantee the next time Baghdatis shows his face at the Open, he will be a crowd favorite. As Agassi eloquently put it, one of the reasons he can rest easy leaving the sport is that he's entrusting it to guys like Baghdatis.

Thursday night was one those once-in-a-few-years experiences when everything breaks right for the sport. From the momentum swings to the drama to the terrific shotmaking, it really italicized everything right about the sport. Sure, a few knuckleheads -- out of a crowd of 23,000 -- may have behaved inappropriately. But, fortunately, they were a minority who didn't do much to diminish the ambiance.

What is it exactly that people see in Gael Monfils that makes them so enthusiastic? Another Grand Slam, another quick exit. When will people start considering him a bust? The guy is all hype, absolutely no substance. And don't tell me he's still young. Many champions had already won Grand Slam events at 20. Good player, but definitely not a future Grand Slam winner or top five player. He can't volley and when entering a match, he has no game plan.
Renaud Chanat, Paris

People -- i.e. me -- see a lot of power and athleticism, a big serve and a sense of confidence. I wouldn't read too much into Monfils' second-round loss; he had foot and ankle problems and practically limped off the court.

At the same time, there are huge holes. One is conditioning. Forget about Baghdatis; Monfils was huffing and puffing after a set against Mike Russell. Also, his courtcraft is still suspect. He plays looping, leisurely strokes and then, finally, as if bored, tees off on a forehand. Russell told me that it was almost distracting, playing a guy who seems to have so little idea how to build a point.

It's way to early to call him a bust. He played the juniors two years ago and is now in the top 30. That's pretty good. On the other hand, there's a lot of work to be done before he becomes a real Slam threat.