Christophe Rochus likely to retire soon (UPDATE --> Chris won't quit) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Christophe Rochus likely to retire soon (UPDATE --> Chris won't quit)

JuanRodriguez
08-31-2006, 08:08 PM
source: Radio 1 (Belgium) :eek:

"Christophe Rochus said after his loss yesterday evening against Frenchman Gicquel that he's totally fed up with tennis. He considers to end his carreer after this season. Christophe Rochus has been a pro for nine years long, is ranked in the top-70, but he told us that he can no longer handle the competition stress and the routine. The money is the only thing left that can motivate him at this point. Thus, exit Christophe Rochus"

I knew he didn't like his job as much as the other players, but this still comes as a surprise to me. :sad:

Best Performances
2000 - 4th round Australian Open (as a qualifier)
2001 - Winner Venice challenger
2003 - Final Valencia
2004 - Final Geneva, SF Cassablanca
2005 - Winner Luxembourg challenger, SF Hamburg, St. Pölten & Scottsdale
2006 - Final Rotterdam

Carreer high: 38

Regenbogen
08-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Oh that's too bad. :sad: I don't blame him though. I think being a pro tennis player would be a pain :lol:

Scotso
08-31-2006, 08:19 PM
He's having a very poor go of it lately, so it's not entirely surprising. I'd still hate to see him go, though. :(

scoobs
08-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Is that the whole story?

Or is part of it that he's completely overshadowed by his much better looking, much better tennis player brother, who is a legend - Olivier Rochus?

Christophe has never had the same success and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a certain amount of pique about that.

Foosimoo
08-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Wow, I am just glad this isn't Ollie. :eek:

Castafiore
08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
On Walloon tv (La2), they said that Christophe plans on teaching tennis to kids in some academy.

supersexynadal
08-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Its a shame that people like him turn pro and dont like it then retire coz theyre fed up when so many young people are working there butts off trying to turn pro. I sound like mom but hes setting a terrible example for other young players and he doesnt notice ow hard he worked to get there. e should just set him self realistic goals andif he doesnt then just takeit slowly and see what happens

fadou
08-31-2006, 08:47 PM
good luck to him!

i hope he made the good choice

alelysafina
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Its a shame that people like him turn pro and dont like it then retire coz theyre fed up when so many young people are working there butts off trying to turn pro.

What are you talking about!?! Christophe has been a pro for nine and has been grinding hiself as a journey man for most of those years! I would say he's working his butt off, has been working his butt off for almost a decade, more even since he's been playing this sport since his childohood. If anything some of those "young people" should be looking up to him as an example of hard work and dedication. Yes he hasn't won a title but he must of loved this sport immensely to continue doing it for nine years. And If he wants to retire after almost 9 hard years of practicing, playing, traveling, and not getting to see his family, then I wish him all the best because he certainly deserves a break and all the happiness in the world.

freesbee
08-31-2006, 09:03 PM
:awww: well he should do what he thinks is best for him, but it's still sad news. good luck to him :hug:

lucashg
08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
That's too bad, but pretty much understandable considering his recent results. He had a very good year in 2005 and since he's not being able to repeat the success he's had last season, must've added to the frustration and all.

I quite liked his tennis - especially his Hamburg campaign where he hit dropshots all the way to the SF :lol:

Best of luck to him after pro tennis.

Scotso
08-31-2006, 11:20 PM
What are you talking about!?! Christophe has been a pro for nine and has been grinding hiself as a journey man for most of those years! I would say he's working his butt off, has been working his butt off for almost a decade, more even since he's been playing this sport since his childohood. If anything some of those "young people" should be looking up to him as an example of hard work and dedication. Yes he hasn't won a title but he must of loved this sport immensely to continue doing it for nine years. And If he wants to retire after almost 9 hard years of practicing, playing, traveling, and not getting to see his family, then I wish him all the best because he certainly deserves a break and all the happiness in the world.

What he meant was, shame on him for not being Nadal.

scoobs
08-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Totally off-topic, but apparently Oli and Juju are playing doubles together at some exhibition in Europe this year. OMG but do I ever want to be there! :hearts: Tiny doubles! :drool:

:topic: but did you see Ollie and Kim play mixed doubles at Wimbledon 2005?

They were great fun together and had a couple of great, really entertaining matches, before running into eventual champions Bhupathi and Pierce.

Effka
08-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Too bad :sad:

atheneglaukopis
09-01-2006, 01:01 AM
And Christophe is playing played doubles with...

Just an observation.

Scotso
09-01-2006, 02:15 AM
And Christophe is playing played doubles with...

Just an observation.

:confused:

atheneglaukopis
09-01-2006, 02:19 AM
:confused:LaLo. Who some people keep suggesting needs to retire and taking up modelling already.

Scotso
09-01-2006, 02:23 AM
Well Christophe is cute but modeling? :p

;)

atheneglaukopis
09-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Well Christophe is cute but modeling? :p

;)Just my way of cryptically pointing out that it's not the strongest doubles team in the field.

Hagar
09-01-2006, 07:54 AM
That would be a shame because he had a very good 2005 and this year was not too bad either.

Castafiore
09-01-2006, 08:52 AM
In my newspaper today, there was an interview with Christophe about his decision.

He says that he lacks the drive to keep on competing in professional tennis. The last few months, losing or winning a match didn't make much of a difference in his emotions. He simply isn't motivated enough these days to compete on a top level and to put in all the work, the training and having to travel all around the world.
He says that "he wasn't made for tennis. he doesn't feel like he belongs in that world".
He mentions Filip Dewulf saying that he's another example of a player who didn't really belong in the world of tennis. Dewulf had more talent than him but he didn't last very long in the professional circuit either (only about 4 years).
He also referred to Malisse who is very, very talented but he doesn't have the passion either.

He concludes by saying that his brother Olivier is different: Ollie lives for tennis and he's very driven and motivated.

Well, it's his life so it's his decision. Good luck for the future, Christophe. :)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
09-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I don't think he made a wrong decison when he doesn't love tennis anymore.IMO this job is painful esp now 2 men win too much.

Good luck to him ,:hug: and his lovely brother also. :hug:

rrfnpump
09-01-2006, 09:45 AM
awww, noo :awww: .... Christophe :sobbing: :hug:
he sounds so disappointed and depressed

:( he can be so cute :hearts:

Jaap
09-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Damn, I won't be able to win money of his losses now. :sad:

delsa
09-01-2006, 10:46 AM
:sad:

Don't do that Christophe!

Egag
09-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Damn, I won't be able to win money of his losses now. :sad:

ahaha lol

it is a shame that he is considering retirement.....wait....Ollie had a brother?

Christophe Rochus? ahahaha oh well his choice. :wavey:

JuanRodriguez
09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Some more quotes from Christophe:

* I am 28 years old now. Ten years I've done efforts to make a carreer in tennis. But since two months I cannot motivate myself anymore on a tennis court.
* I didn't lose today because I wasn't good enough. I lost because my head didn't wanted it. Everything takes so much energy. The daily routines of the practices, the atmosphere around it, the pressure en the intensity of the matches. I always had in mind that when I got older, I could handle it more easily. But even with my 28 years I can't tell myself 'now we are going to amuse ourselves on the court'. I am not depressive, I only have a tennis depression.
* I believe I neither have the physics, nor the character to be a good tennis player. I like good food and drinks. That isn't quite something you can combine with the life of a pro tennis player. But nevertheless I did quite a good job. But it's only because of my talent.
* The moments that I have been happy on a tennis court are very rare. In 2005 there were a couple of games, like the quarter final win over Juan Ignacio Chela in Hamburg. But generally speaking I wasn't myself on a tennis court. After my 1st round loss in New Have I have been practising really good. For a while I thought it was gonna turn out okay. But as soon as the match began, it didn't work out no longer..."
* I am much happier if I am not busy with tennis and that can be everything: family, golf, finance, real estate. Happiness for me is to go and take a look at some appartments with my girlfriend and my dogs. In february I'll become father. You know, actually I'm pleased that I lost today. Now I can go back home and I don't have to think about tennis for two weeks.
* Maybe my problem is that I think too much about things. You have to be very narrow-minded in the tennis world to make it. People like me are very rare in the locker room. The tennis player I get along the most is Gaston Gaudio. Others don't like him because he behaves different and he isn't there with his thoughts for a few months. But I think he's sympathic, with him I talk a lot about golf.
* I don't know exactly what the future will bring for me. I will take the money by just entering some tournaments. There's a small change, but maybe I can find the pleasure of playing tennis again. When I haven't got a good ranking anymore - and have to play qualifying to get in the main draw - I will quit. It won't be before the end of this year. Probably I'll travel one more time to Australia, and then I will call it a day

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the quotes Juan and Castafiore, it gives a different insight on Chris.

I mean if he has lost the love of the game, then it makes sense to call it a day.

He mentions Filip Dewulf saying that he's another example of a player who didn't really belong in the world of tennis. Dewulf had more talent than him but he didn't last very long in the professional circuit either (only about 4 years).

Dewulf was very talented, and he had a lot of injuries, but everyone has their time.

FSRteam
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the quotes Juan and Castafiore, it gives a different insight on Chris.

I mean if he has lost the love of the game, then it makes sense to call it a day.

Dewulf was very talented, and he had a lot of injuries, but everyone has their time.

I agree but I think it is a shame he quits this way: I will take the money by just entering some tournaments. There's a small change, but maybe I can find the pleasure of playing tennis again. When I haven't got a good ranking anymore - and have to play qualifying to get in the main draw - I will quit. It won't be before the end of this year. Probably I'll travel one more time to Australia, and then I will call it a day

Not very classy...

Action Jackson
09-01-2006, 01:15 PM
I agree but I think it is a shame he quits this way:

Not very classy...

Not everyone can go out like Sampras or Agassi did, then again not every player wants that. I remember when Muster retired, it was done without fanfare and that is the same for others.

Well there aren't many classy players around, so he can treat is as a holiday, then again he could change his mind.

FSRteam
09-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Not everyone can go out like Sampras or Agassi did, then again not every player wants that. I remember when Muster retired, it was done without fanfare and that is the same for others.

Well there aren't many classy players around, so he can treat is as a holiday, then again he could change his mind.

I hope he will change his mind! I like his dropshots! :)

Kristen
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Meh. If he can still get a decent income from one more trip over here, I won't stop him;)

It's his job. Not everyone I know loves their job, so if he wants to try a change of scenery, good for him I guess.

Mistaflava
09-01-2006, 04:27 PM
:haha:

he will always be known as one of the worst players on tour

JuanRodriguez
10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
*UPDATE*

Christophe Rochus said at the challenger in Mons he no longer thinks of quitting tennis. "I've found the pleasure back in tennis. After my loss at the US Open I have asked myself a lot of questions. In the end I had two options: or I would play some more tournaments to take the money and call it a day soon, or I would take it up again. It became the 2nd option. My brother (Olivier), my coach and my physical coach have convinced me. I'm only 28 years old and I don't have the right to quit. I wanna have some fun again."

Pretty surprising, but also very nice to hear from Christophe. :cool:

Sandra
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
:D

alfonsojose
10-05-2006, 06:05 PM
:)

rrfnpump
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
yay, Christophe :D ;) :kiss:
thats good news

Christophe :yeah: